Golf Game

jamborich

:wacko:

HELP!!

John,

Set up an account with Google Docs www.docs.google.com (use your @msn.com email address)

You should see a sample of the "Kickback League", if this looks like a good way of doing it I would need everyone's email address so that it could be shared with them.

If anyone else want's to have alook at this pm me an email address and I'll add you.

EDIT: Just looked at it and it's not quite right but still gives you an idea of how it would look.

Edited by graygo

Looks like a lot of Spreadsheet there.

Do all the formulas work? - does it update automatically

Hmm, works fine as an excell spreadsheet, you just input the score and it updates everything else. Doesn't seem to want to do it when converted to a Google Document.

Work in progress! :whistling:

Check you email inbox.

The Old Tolbooth

I had a look at it mate, I haven't got a scooby do what to do with it though :wacko:

I was just gonna keep tabs on the threads and work out the league tables, I'm a bit old school when it comes to things like that and do it all in my head, however if someone else wants to use the spreadsheet (Graygo :whistling: ) then feel free to work with me on it :thumbsup:

portobellojambo1

Is anyone planning on a setting up another of these 4 player games tonight (preferably starting at a rather more civil hour).

Is anyone planning on a setting up another of these 4 player games tonight (preferably starting at a rather more civil hour).

I'd be up for it if anyone is about.

Im in?

Just checking i have enough balls in case of water, didn't mean to leave. Invite me back :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Spacey

The Old Tolbooth

Sorry John, sorry Ayeball, we're on the 9th

Hmmmppphhhh!! :verymad:

:middlefinger:

:D

portobellojambo1

Just got PJ1's message, I'll set up if you like?

Any course?

We can try again tonight John (try and start around 21:30-22:00, that way can be in bed at a reasonable hour, got the match against Motherwell tomorrow and cannot afford to oversleep in the morning).

Never tried using google doc however it sounds like a good system so hopefully this works,

I have had a play with the spreadsheet i linked earlier and uploaded it.

https://docs.google....out=list&num=50

As an example i have taken the top 8 names in the list (assuming the 16 so far will become 2 leagues).

I created the fixtures from the random generator website i has linked previously.

If the scores are entered (1-0 to the winner) on the "Fixtures and Results" tab then the "League Table" tab will update automatically.

I have linked the "Fixtures and results" tab to the initial setup so instead of having to re-type the fixtures when the names are decided for each league you only have to type them in once on the "Initial Setup" next to 1 to 8 and the fixture page will update automatically.

There is also a space next to the fixtures to enter the course to be played depending how everyone wants that to work?

Hope it works!

:thumbsup:

EDIT: I have just signed out of google doc and clicked on the link and it seems as though you have to have a google doc account too view it. Or am i doing this wrong??

Edited by AndyMcI

portobellojambo1

Never tried using google doc however it sounds like a good system so hopefully this works,

https://docs.google....out=list&num=50

As an example i have taken the top 8 names in the list (assuming the 16 so far will become 2 leagues).

I created the fixtures from the random generator website i has linked previously.

If the scores are entered (1-0 to the winner) on the "Fixtures and Results" tab then the "League Table" tab will update automatically.

I have linked the "Fixtures and results" tab to the initial setup so instead of having to re-type the fixtures when the names are decided for each league you only have to type them in once on the "Initial Setup" next to 1 to 8 and the fixture page will update automatically.

There is also a space next to the fixtures to enter the course to be played depending how everyone wants that to work?

Hope it works!

:thumbsup:

EDIT: I have just signed out of google doc and clicked on the link and it seems as though you have to have a google doc account too view it. Or am i doing this wrong??

I have my google account open Andy and am in Google Documents. I clicked on your link and got the following message

Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available.

Not sure if people have to be set up to view it as some form of shared document.

PJ - that round we played with Armiya...it wasn't overly long from your point of view...was it?

I know my connection ain't the speediest but if it's gonna be a PITA for anyone I'm playing against I'd need to manage it differently...

portobellojambo1

PJ - that round we played with Armiya...it wasn't overly long from your point of view...was it?

I know my connection ain't the speediest but if it's gonna be a PITA for anyone I'm playing against I'd need to manage it differently...

No it was fine Boof. Played again last night wit Dave Spacey and jamiej29, lasted about the same amount of time, and the other night with Jambodunks and Armiya again approx 2 hours again for both (which is fine if you get everything started around 21:00/22:00, but if the start time is nearer midnight it does make it a late, late finish).

portobellojambo1

If anyone fancies setting up a game I'll play, need something to pass the time without a game to go to.

If anyone fancies setting up a game I'll play, need something to pass the time without a game to go to.

If you are still looking for a game i can set something up.

Just let me know what course and game type - match or stroke play.

portobellojambo1

Just set up an easy-conditions tournament at a snow-free St Andrew's.

I went up from Tour Pro to Master yesterday Boof, and I'm fecked if I can play off these longer tees. Have got myself a new driver, which when it works goes a fair distance, but you have to get it smack in the middle each time. If you are evenly slightly out it goes either light years left or right (costing me a feckin fortune in balls as well, seeing parts of St Andrews golf course I never knew existed).

Suppose just have to bash on and hope it comes with practice.

ArmiyaRomanova

I went up from Tour Pro to Master yesterday Boof, and I'm fecked if I can play off these longer tees. Have got myself a new driver, which when it works goes a fair distance, but you have to get it smack in the middle each time. If you are evenly slightly out it goes either light years left or right (costing me a feckin fortune in balls as well, seeing parts of St Andrews golf course I never knew existed).

Suppose just have to bash on and hope it comes with practice.

It does, pj1, it does.

I also recently got a new driver - allowed me to hit 270+ yards when struck well, but was too easy to thump into rough/fescue/moon craters.

I persevered, and apart from Oakmont, I'm able to keep it on the fairway most of the time.

Worryingly though, with an average of 66.08 I suspect that I might be approaching Tour Master status (anyone know how/when that happens, and what the downside is?)

ArmiyaRomanova

FYI, for those experiencing occasionally jerky meters...

<<<<<I am sure there are a million possible reasons for a jumping meter and maybe some of them are due to bad connections, how many people playing and so on, but I doubt very much the game does any kind of server activity during the actual shot/swing. At least it shouldn't.

It is, however, a flash game. There is limitations and one of them is that it can not really get very high priority from your computer. The graphic processes and everything is shared with all other processes running on your computer, and probably at lower priority than them.

I notice for instance that an incoming Skype message might stop the meter, fetching an email might destabilize it, or an automatic system back-up could make it leap.

A lot of things in your own computer can have a big impact on how the game behaves.

There are some things you can do to help out:

-Close all programmes you do not need

-Check your CPU and memory stats to see if something is working invisibly

-Check the memory usage of your browser and if it's high, close the browser and restart it (actually closing the browser (completely, not only a window) might be a good routine start for a golf session).

-Close email programs and messengers that have Internet activity

-Keep calm and carry on>>>>>>

Edited by ArmiyaRomanova

I have set the share options to "Anyone who has the link can access. No sign-in required."

https://docs.google....uthkey=CMz-tbkP

Anyone have any luck with the google docs link?

Portobellojambo1 has accessed the sheet from the link but neither of us know what to do with it :lol:

Can everyone access, make changes / update, then re-save to the same location so the updated version becomes the new "standard" document?

Worryingly though, with an average of 66.08 I suspect that I might be approaching Tour Master status (anyone know how/when that happens, and what the downside is?)

Yes, it means you have to fork out a shitload of money for new kit. :lol:

BTW, my average is now 65.85 yet my lowest score is 66. :o:dontgetit:

Portobellojambo1 has accessed the sheet from the link but neither of us know what to do with it :lol:

Can everyone access, make changes / update, then re-save to the same location so the updated version becomes the new "standard" document?

I'm not leaving the house tomorrow so will have a look at this, I think we need to make sure that only players are allowed to make changes otherwise you may find that half way through the season some barsteward screws it up. :thumbsup:

I tried accessing it but it opened in Excel and as i've only a lapsed trial version i couldn't edit.

I'm not leaving the house tomorrow so will have a look at this, I think we need to make sure that only players are allowed to make changes otherwise you may find that half way through the season some barsteward screws it up. :thumbsup:

Very true. :lol:

I tried accessing it but it opened in Excel and as i've only a lapsed trial version i couldn't edit.

It sounds as though you can access it ok though so sounds promising. :thumbsup:

portobellojambo1

I actually think from a functional point of view John Mitchell's original idea was probably best graygo. Match scores get posted on the thread (so everyone can then follow progress) but only one person is responsible for collating the details/updating a spreadsheet. They could then either post the league details on the thread or post a link to the spreadsheet every now and then so everyone could have a squint at it (think whoever is allocated it might want to consider speaking with Ulysses to get an idea of the work involved etc, as he deals with the predictor league run in The Terrace.

Sometimes if too many people are trying to edit one document it leads to problems, one person doing the work seems the most sensible approach.

Edited by portobellojambo1

The Old Tolbooth

Think that was just a test Jack - we're all waiting on Mr Mitchell, tournament organiser whistling.gif

Oops, I forgot to put a closing date on it :ninja:

Entries for the league must be in by 5pm on Tuesday if anyone else is interested, and then my life becomes hell :lol:

What have I done? :unsure:

The Old Tolbooth

I actually think from a functional point of view John Mitchell's original idea was probably best graygo. Match scores get posted on the thread (so everyone can then follow progress) but only one person is responsible for collating the details/updating a spreadsheet. They could then either post the league details on the thread or post a link to the spreadsheet every now and then so everyone could have a squint at it (think whoever is allocated it might want to consider speaking with Ulysses to get an idea of the work involved etc, as he deals with the predictor league run in The Terrace.

Sometimes if too many people are trying to edit one document it leads to problems, one person doing the work seems the most sensible approach.

It's going to be a very easy league format mate, as it stands it will either be two leagues of 8 or four leagues of 4 with promotion/relegation etc, and the league will be something like this

1. Bigsmak Pld 4 Pts 8

2. Ayeball Pld 3 Pts 4

3. Graygo Pld 4 Pts 4

4. Persil32 Pld 3 Pts 0

I don't do complicated things, apart from Linda :ninja:

portobellojambo1

It's going to be a very easy league format mate, as it stands it will either be two leagues of 8 or four leagues of 4 with promotion/relegation etc, and the league will be something like this

1. Bigsmak Pld 4 Pts 8

2. Ayeball Pld 3 Pts 4

3. Graygo Pld 4 Pts 4

4. Persil32 Pld 3 Pts 0

I don't do complicated things, apart from Linda :ninja:

Linda, complicated !!! Any time I've seen her all the bits appeared to be in the right places, and there were the correct number of each, is it the positions she likes that are complicated for a man of your age.

Keep calm and carry on>>>>>>

KEEP CALM :ahhhhhhh::ahhhhhhh::ahhhhhhh:

If WGT had any compassion they'd bin the boost drinks and replace them with tranquilisers

I'd be first in the queue :calm:

The Old Tolbooth

Linda, complicated !!! Any time I've seen her all the bits appeared to be in the right places, and there were the correct number of each, is it the positions she likes that are complicated for a man of your age.

No comment :zip:

(she reads this forum) :D

Oh and Boof, your one sick puppy! Imagine making the greens slow at St Andrews, it completely threw me and it was hole 5 before I noticed they were slow, and having had a few beers I was putting my shit putting down to that :lol:

Oh and Boof, your one sick puppy! Imagine making the greens slow at St Andrews, it completely threw me and it was hole 5 before I noticed they were slow, and having had a few beers I was putting my shit putting down to that :lol:

:lol:

I'm happy with that PJ1, I thought it would make it easier for the administrator if we all updated match scores online but seeing as the administrator is John.......... :whistling:

The Old Tolbooth

I'm happy with that PJ1, I thought it would make it easier for the administrator if we all updated match scores online but seeing as the administrator is John.......... :whistling:

I'll have a wee think about that.....................ok I'm ready!

Whoever plays post their scores on here and I'll keep a record of them (old school pen and paper :lol:)

I just played 3 rounds around St Andrews, 2 on slow greens for Boofs comp, and one against a friend with very fast greens, jesus murphy I feel like I've done ten rounds with Mike feckin Tyson, I was all over the shop!! This game messes with yer wee simple heid!! :wacko:

The Old Tolbooth

Right guys, a decision has been made, the deadline has been brought forward from tomorrow night for league entries to NOW! Seeing as we're probably all snowed in I thought this would be a good idea to break the boredom :)

We have a nice round number of 16 entrants and personally I prefer a 4 league system with 4 players each as it means that everyone has something to play for in almost every game and there won't be tons of meaningless matches (if that makes sense)

What I propose to do is to hold a draw, I'll put a name next to a number and I'll need help to do the draw, I'll give the names and numbers to one other volunteer so that the draw is fair and above board, and I'll get another person to pick numbers for the groups, and I'll say what group the next number is going into.

The groups will be labelled Division 1-4, with Division 1 being the top league, and 4 the bottom league, with one person being promoted and one being relegated from each division, if you get drawn in the bottom league then it's tough luck, you'll just need to fight your way up :D

Each league will have 6 games with a home and away fixture list, the player who's name appears first on the fixture list will have the choice of which course to play on, and will be responsible for setting the fixture up, and once again if someone cannot fulfil a fixture, or gets cut off half way round then they forfeit that fixture by a scoreline of 3 & 2.

In the event of a tie in the league, then points difference will come into play, for instance if someone wins 5&4 then they would be on +5, and the loser would be on -5, and so on.

Now, I need 2 volunteers to help me do the draw and we'll get this thing started :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Bigsmak has very kindly agreed to hold the names and numbers and will post a name when a number gets picked.

All I need now is for someone to pick the numbers and we can get this thing off the ground. :thumbsup: