**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

True or not, an enjoyable read. Even if it isn't, it might hopefully plant a seed. Haters gonna hate and we all hate the patriots :pleased:

Last sentence is a quote for the ages.

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Quite the contract for Gruden. Not sure he makes them win instantly but should improve this years no show.

It isn't half, don't think he'll see out all of that term, but you never know. I'd like to think he's better for the Raiders going forward than Del Rio. I know if I was a Raiders fan, that I'd rather have Gruden.

Sexton Hardcastle

Del Rio was good last year but this year his coaches and calls let him down and cost him the gig. Same happened to him at the jags as well.

to go from a solid offence 12 moths ago to a very average one was shocking. The defence slightly improved but only after KNJ was hooked.

should be a close division next year.

luckyBatistuta
28 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Del Rio was good last year but this year his coaches and calls let him down and cost him the gig. Same happened to him at the jags as well.

to go from a solid offence 12 moths ago to a very average one was shocking. The defence slightly improved but only after KNJ was hooked.

should be a close division next year.

Should be, hope he does well with them. Gruden is a bit of a Marmite character, but I'm in the like camp.

Konrad von Carstein

Not a huge follower of NFL, however, when I started watching it the Patriots were a joke, along with many of the current better teams, so things do change....however.....

Feck knows what Gods Miami have pisse  off because the high point was the first superbowl  I watched and since then it been consistent guff....do any of you serious followers have an opinion on why/what the problem is with Miami?

41 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Not a huge follower of NFL, however, when I started watching it the Patriots were a joke, along with many of the current better teams, so things do change....however.....

Feck knows what Gods Miami have pisse  off because the high point was the first superbowl  I watched and since then it been consistent guff....do any of you serious followers have an opinion on why/what the problem is with Miami?

Being in a division with the Patriots? 

J.T.F.Robertson
Just now, Peebo said:

Being in a division with the Patriots? 

Doesn't help right enough but you could still at least grab a playoff spot, even conceding a couple of games a season to them. I think they've never truly replaced Larry Csonka. :Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

Who you all got for the playoffs then?

My picks:

Chiefs over Titans - Titans losing Murray isn’t ideal for them. Chiefs are more of a complete team than the Titans I feel.

Rams over Falcons - I think this one could go either way to be honest and it’ll come down to whichever D can stop the run but I’m going to give the edge to the Rams.

Bills over Jags - A bit of a shock but if Lee is missing for the Jags they’re going to have to rely on two rookie receivers to beat out a stout Bills pass D. Although the Bills are going to need McCoy fully fit to win.

Panthers over Saints - Another shock given the Saints went 2-0 over them in the regular season but the Panthers started to come on to a game towards the end of the season (despite the week 17 loss). 

7 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Doesn't help right enough but you could still at least grab a playoff spot, even conceding a couple of games a season to them. I think they've never truly replaced Larry Csonka. :Stupid_Heads_by_Vir

Wasn’t being entirely serious...

Unsure why they have been generally poor in recent years. They were one of the more successful teams (in terms of playoff appearances) during the era many on here will have become interested in NFL.

The good thing about the NFL is that the various parts of the system (draft, salary cap, scheduling) mean a team can go from having a terrible season to a decent one. However, regime and coaching changes don’t happen too often so once a general malaise sets its, it can last for years. 

Edited by Peebo

We debated this last night and came down to a consensus that the smart money should be on the Saints. 

At this stage in the season, you need a QB with a head, heart, feet and an arm. He has all of the above. 

Eagles ain't going nowhere after that sh*t show against Dallas. 

Chiefs and Saints defo the other two for me are tighter but I'd plump for Rams something going on there with good coach and Bills if shady is fit.

Watt-Zeefuik
19 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Wayne Huizenga was an incredibly terrible owner. Stephen Ross is a garden variety bad owner.

Owners who treat their clubs like their own personal toys without any sense of responsibility to the fanbase seriously piss me off.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Titans

Rams

Jags

Saints

Heh. I'm picking exact opposite. :lol: Not seriously invested in this though, and if I were picking with the head instead of the heart it would probably be Jags and Saints too.

Watt-Zeefuik

Oh, and meant to add that I think Del Rio is the new Wade Philips. Great defensive coordinator, can't make the step up to head coach.

I say this every year when we get to the playoffs...the coverage on Sky is absolutely ****ing terrible compared to that of the US networks. 

Holy wowserballs of ****. 

Edit: he did look down. Correct call on review. 

Edited by Peebo

Choke job by the Chiefs again in the playoffs, losing from 21-3 up at halftime. Some ridiculous refereeing in that game though, especially the "forward progress" call on the Mariota sack/fumble.

Sexton Hardcastle

Much like the fumble by kelce when he got flattened.

bringing random ‘top’ officials together for post season obviously not working.

3 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Choke job by the Chiefs again in the playoffs, losing from 21-3 up at halftime. Some ridiculous refereeing in that game though, especially the "forward progress" call on the Mariota sack/fumble.

You mean when they went for two points after last TD? Yes, call looked bad. However, not totally sure, as it cut to the sky studio and I am not sure they even mentioned the play while the review was happening! 

Typical of Kansas, though. 

2 minutes ago, Peebo said:

You mean when they went for two points after last TD? Yes, call looked bad. However, not totally sure, as it cut to the sky studio and I am not sure they even mentioned the play while the review was happening! 

Typical of Kansas, though. 

No, first half when Johnson came straight through and sacked Mariota, who fumbled as being tackled, refs called the play stopped by forward progress. Was ridiculous as Mariota was dropping back to pass and not running. Titans then kicked their first half FG straight after.

2 from 2 wrong, keeping up with my awful prediction record this season.

If you all know what’s good for you you’d lump on a Jags/Saints double.

Sexton Hardcastle

I actually got both games right on the pickem site but only went for them as I’m 60 points behind a pal for a side bet. Good to see the falcons did it.

Loved reading this stat about 39-year-old Brees. Would be nice to see him send Newton back to the sidelines until September in tonight's wildcard. 

So often over the years, the Saints have been all about Brees, who has five of the nine 5,000-yard passing seasons in NFL history. (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Dan Marino and Matthew Stafford have one each.) 

6 hours ago, Deodato said:

Loved reading this stat about 39-year-old Brees. Would be nice to see him send Newton back to the sidelines until September in tonight's wildcard. 

So often over the years, the Saints have been all about Brees, who has five of the nine 5,000-yard passing seasons in NFL history. (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Dan Marino and Matthew Stafford have one each.) 

Best there's every been. Pity he didn't have the team around him. I'm beginning to think they could win the Superbowl.

19 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

No, first half when Johnson came straight through and sacked Mariota, who fumbled as being tackled, refs called the play stopped by forward progress. Was ridiculous as Mariota was dropping back to pass and not running. Titans then kicked their first half FG straight after.

Referee from the Titans-Chiefs game retiring after yesterday's game...I think he overstayed his welcome by one game. I recall quite a few of his games over the years where there were some horrendous decisions too.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/referee-jeff-triplette-reportedly-retiring-after-questionable-performance-in-nfl-playoffs/

Edited by Louis Litt

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Best there's every been. Pity he didn't have the team around him. I'm beginning to think they could win the Superbowl.

Brees has been incredibly good since I started watching NFL properly, in the 2009 season. They won the super bowl that year, and worth remembering the Bountygate punishments set them back massively a couple of seasons later.

They were 10/1 last night to win the superbowl. Great price. I fancy them to do it. 

2 hours ago, Peebo said:

Brees has been incredibly good since I started watching NFL properly, in the 2009 season. They won the super bowl that year, and worth remembering the Bountygate punishments set them back massively a couple of seasons later.

They were 10/1 last night to win the superbowl. Great price. I fancy them to do it. 

Woah - I'd never heard of 'BountyGate' - reading up on it now, they got clobbered for that big time. 

J.T.F.Robertson
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm beginning to think they could win the Superbowl.

I've been thinking that very thing for a couple of months now. (honest) Until we're gone though, I obviously hope not.

41 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Woah - I'd never heard of 'BountyGate' - reading up on it now, they got clobbered for that big time. 

And rightly so!

10 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I've been thinking that very thing for a couple of months now. (honest) Until we're gone though, I obviously hope not.

I got 15/1 yesterday for a Steelers-Saints Super Bowl. Very decent price for that, I think. 

J.T.F.Robertson
5 minutes ago, Peebo said:

I got 15/1 yesterday for a Steelers-Saints Super Bowl. Very decent price for that, I think. 

It is! Unfortunately there's a reason for that. :(

Watt-Zeefuik

Appropriate end for the Panthers -- almost but just not quite good enough.

I only watched the last bit of the Bills game, but that was just infuriating play calling with 6 minutes left.  You need a touchdown against the best passing defense in the league, and your running game is getting 7-8 yards a carry because their D-line is gasping for air.  So what do you do? Call 5 straight passing plays!

I hope Taylor is okay. Wasn't a dirty hit but he was down for a long time.

Relatedly, Jacksonville is just a terrible NFL city. Win your first playoff game in 10 years and the stadium sounds like Tynecastle during the half-time youth matches when most of the crowd is off getting a pie.

On 1/6/2018 at 08:45, hmfc_liam06 said:

Who you all got for the playoffs then?

My picks:

Chiefs over Titans - Titans losing Murray isn’t ideal for them. Chiefs are more of a complete team than the Titans I feel.

Rams over Falcons - I think this one could go either way to be honest and it’ll come down to whichever D can stop the run but I’m going to give the edge to the Rams.

Bills over Jags - A bit of a shock but if Lee is missing for the Jags they’re going to have to rely on two rookie receivers to beat out a stout Bills pass D. Although the Bills are going to need McCoy fully fit to win.

Panthers over Saints - Another shock given the Saints went 2-0 over them in the regular season but the Panthers started to come on to a game towards the end of the season (despite the week 17 loss). 

Hope you hadn't put any bets on there Liam!

Just now, KineticBeat said:

Hope you hadn't put any bets on there Liam!

I did tell you all to get your mortgage on the opposite outcomes :lol:

Honestly, my record this season has been terrible. I even predicted the Giants would win the Super Bowl ffs!

Panthers came with a game play to stop Ingram & Kamara and it worked. Only problem was Brees incredible accuracy and 2 great receivers in  Ginn & Thomas. Offensively they can beat you either way.

Defence was excellent despite the injuries there. Cam Jordan was a monster again and Lattimore is stick on for defensive rookie of the year.

Arguably the best balanced team left in it. Very tough game against the Vikings next though.

Predictions for next week:

Falcons to beat the Eagles

Pats to beat the Titans

Jags to beat the Steelers

Vikings to beat Saints

Sexton Hardcastle

Battling this flu so will likely watch the college football final tonight. Every time I see Atlanta’s stadium I’m amazed. Incredible venue.

luckyBatistuta
23 hours ago, Peebo said:

Decent price for that, took the Falcons at 18/1 before the game, think they’re starting to hit a little form at the right time.

4 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

Hope your right

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Battling this flu so will likely watch the college football final tonight. Every time I see Atlanta’s stadium I’m amazed. Incredible venue.

Looking forward to it, hopefully a good game. Taking Calvin Ridley first touchdown at 10/1, which is the same price I won with him last week.

For the offensive rookie of the season, I took Kareem Hunt at 20/1, now I know I’m being biased here, but I think he should win it. Everyone seems to be tipping Kamara to win, but for me, it should be Hunt. Kamara has been incredible, but I think he’s helped by having Ingram to bounce off in a two headed monster. Kareem Hunt has pretty much had to do it on his own as the sole back and been in for almost every down and still produce at a ridiculous level. He had a slight dip during the season, but I think that was partly because the Chiefs actually moved slightly away from feeding him so much of the ball and once they reverted back, he was back too.

Who and why do you think should win it?

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

For the offensive rookie of the season, I took Kareem Hunt at 20/1, now I know I’m being biased here, but I think he should win it. Everyone seems to be tipping Kamara to win, but for me, it should be Hunt. Kamara has been incredible, but I think he’s helped by having Ingram to bounce off in a two headed monster. Kareem Hunt has pretty much had to do it on his own as the sole back and been in for almost every down and still produce at a ridiculous level. He had a slight dip during the season, but I think that was partly because the Chiefs actually moved slightly away from feeding him so much of the ball and once they reverted back, he was back too.

Who and why do you think should win it?

You make a good case for Hunt to be honest and I'd probably be inclined to agree with you.

I don't think there's a huge amount between the 4 of them - Hunt, Kamara, Fournette and McCaffrey, a case could be made for any one of them as they've all contributed in one way or another at a high level.

13 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

Predictions for next week:

Pats to beat the Titans

Jags to beat the Steelers

Vikings to beat Saints

Hope you're not putting a line on as that's the four I've got :lol:

I'm predicting Falcons, Pats, Steelers and Vikings this weekend. 

I also think the winner of Saints v Vikings will go on to win the NFC Championship too. 

8 minutes ago, KineticBeat said:

I'm predicting Falcons, Pats, Steelers and Vikings this weekend. 

I also think the winner of Saints v Vikings will go on to win the NFC Championship too. 

Vikings v Saints is such an intriguing match, really looking forward to it. 

Gutted I'll be in Barcelona for the Championship round (and the derby) :thumbsdown: