**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Really chuffed for the Buffalo Bills, 19 year drought over. Bills v Vikings for the Superbowl. 

Anybody but the Eagles.

Don't be hating on the Eagles.

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

luckyBatistuta
9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Really chuffed for the Buffalo Bills, 19 year drought over. Bills v Vikings for the Superbowl. 

Anybody but the Eagles.

Jumped on the Ravens at 40/1 purely because of their defense. Knew I was chucking my money away, but I thought that once they were in the playoffs, you never know :facepalm:

Watt-Zeefuik

Just saw a couple of friends from Buffalo today -- they're your classic upstate New Yorkers so they don't get too excited about anything but they were still were sporting their Bills gear and looking still surprised and happy.

In other news, this picture almost deserves a place in the JKB smiley library. All Panthers fans are sadly nodding along with Bears fans at this point -- well, we did get a Super Bowl run out of it but he always blows the big one at some point.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/01/bears-coach-john-fox-fired

898118062_73252945.jpg?w=763&h=574

Watt-Zeefuik

Also, college playoff semifinals currently on. Oklahoma and Georgia going at it to the final whistle at the moment. After this, Alabama vs. Clemson Round III.

3 hours ago, Deodato said:

Don't be hating on the Eagles.

I'm a Redskin(beaten by the hopeless Giants :facepalm: ).

12 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Chuck Pagano gone, no surprise really. Not sure who I'd like to replace him, there is so much work needed on our roster.

It’s not a great gig just now is it? 

I think the Lions gig is probably the most attractive of the available jobs, not many holes to pick - good owner, franchise QB, decent roster with plenty cap space to improve upon. Downside...it’s the Lions. 

Can see Patricia getting the job.

luckyBatistuta
56 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It’s not a great gig just now is it? 

I think the Lions gig is probably the most attractive of the available jobs, not many holes to pick - good owner, franchise QB, decent roster with plenty cap space to improve upon. Downside...it’s the Lions. 

Can see Patricia getting the job.

Yeah, it's looking that way. 

Seems Josh McDaniels is the favourite for the Colts, maybe a long shot is David Shaw linking back up with Luck and an even longer shot...Nick Sabah!!!

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yeah, it's looking that way. 

Seems Josh McDaniels is the favourite for the Colts, maybe a long shot is David Shaw linking back up with Luck and an even longer shot...Nick Sabah!!!

The feeling I get with McDaniels is that he's primed for the Patriots job when BB calls it a day.

Colts need a lot of work, uncertainty over Luck and, if I recall...a shite owner?!

Still more appealing than the Giants mind you!

luckyBatistuta
29 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The feeling I get with McDaniels is that he's primed for the Patriots job when BB calls it a day.

Colts need a lot of work, uncertainty over Luck and, if I recall...a shite owner?!

Dont think he's got time to sit around waiting for BB, that could still be a while yet. I wanted Saban the last time we were linked with him, but not now. I'd take Shaw or McDaniels, but as you say, whoever it is, they have there work cut out with our existing squad.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Irsay is an arsehole bevvy/pill merchant. 

2 hours ago, Peebo said:

Irsay is an arsehole bevvy/pill merchant. 

Yeah I thought I had the right guy :lol:

Not convinced Saban would leave Alabama.

13 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I thought I had the right guy :lol:

Not convinced Saban would leave Alabama.

For the Colts right now? No danger. 

Watt-Zeefuik
13 minutes ago, Peebo said:

For the Colts right now? No danger. 

Right. College football is less work than the pros, and he's in one of the top five most iconic jobs in the country and in the middle of inking his name in the history books as a true dynasty. Leave that for a misfit franchise in a dull midwestern city with a dome and an ******* owner? Not happening.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It would be an honour to coach the Giants, as far as I'm concerned it's one of my big 6.(Cowboys, Patriots, Redskins, Giants, Steelers and Packers).

Edited by ri Alban

34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It would be an honour to coach the Giants, as far as I'm concerned it's one of my big 6.(Cowboys, Patriots, Redskins, Giants, Steelers and Packers).

They're an absolute mess just now.

Lions

Raiders

Bears

Cardinals

Giants

Colts

That's my order from most to least desirable jobs.

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Right. College football is less work than the pros, and he's in one of the top five most iconic jobs in the country and in the middle of inking his name in the history books as a true dynasty. Leave that for a misfit franchise in a dull midwestern city with a dome and an ******* owner? Not happening.

:qqb006::qqb004:

IMG_4135.JPG

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:qqb006::qqb004:

IMG_4135.JPG

He'd also be an idiot to leave Alabama for the Panthers, which are a somewhat more stable franchise in a boring midsized Southern banking city which nonetheless have a beautiful stadium and an owner accused of racial and sexual harassment. Happy?

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They're an absolute mess just now.

Lions

Raiders

Bears

Cardinals

Giants

Colts

That's my order from most to least desirable jobs.

In terms of their current state, yes. However the Giants have historically been in very good hands in the Mara family and Dave Gettleman is a good GM who should right the ship quickly. In terms of pathological ownership, I'd rate it a bit more like this (worst first):

Redskins -- Snyder is a narcissistic fantasist who will never let the football people do their jobs, insists on inserting himself into draft process, terrorizes staff. The Redskins will on the whole be terrible as long as he owns them.

Bengals -- Stuck in the 1970s in terms of management structure, won't listen to anyone with sense

Rams -- Just in it to get rich 

Cardinals -- Ditto

Jets -- His name is "Woody Johnson" FFS. He's like Redskins' owner but with less business sense.

Lions -- Mean well, but no f---ing clue what they're doing

Colts -- He's made some good GM hires in the past and let them work, but is widely known to be a total arsehole

The harassment allegations are clearly serious and given how fast he decided to sell the Panthers, they're probably real, but outside that Richardson has generally been regarded as a model owner.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

He'd also be an idiot to leave Alabama for the Panthers, which are a somewhat more stable franchise in a boring midsized Southern banking city which nonetheless have a slightly less beautiful stadium than Lucas Oil and an owner accused of racial and sexual harassment. Happy?

Ftfy

I don't think he'd leave either and wouldn't want him now anyway. I was of course having a bit fun, Irsay is an erse, i'm happy to admit that.

What's wrong with this?

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

Watt-Zeefuik

Honestly forgot the Indy stadium could open. I do love the clearstory windows and the Hinkle Fieldhouse-like windows at the end TBF. I think I was judging it on the old one, which was a tin can with a balloon on top, so that's my bad.

I'm biased but BoA Stadium is just a joy to watch a game in.

bank-of-america-stadium.jpg

luckyBatistuta

Honestly forgot the Indy stadium could open. I do love the clearstory windows and the Hinkle Fieldhouse-like windows at the end TBF. I think I was judging it on the old one, which was a tin can with a balloon on top, so that's my bad.

I'm biased but BoA Stadium is just a joy to watch a game in.

bank-of-america-stadium.jpg

I just wish I could share that view at a game with you  :(:(:(

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I just wish I could share that view at a game with you  :(:(:(

Cheers -- that'd be fun. No clue when I'll get to go again next -- the tickets are still expensive and now I've got a kid and live 5 hours away.

luckyBatistuta

Don't worry, if I'm ever near you, you'll be getting a pm :thumbsup:

Normally go to the USA every year (mainly Florida) but we're talking about two trips this year because I missed last year. One will be lots of different cities and the other one will be for the New Year (not decided where for that yet)

40 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

In terms of their current state, yes. However the Giants have historically been in very good hands in the Mara family and Dave Gettleman is a good GM who should right the ship quickly. In terms of pathological ownership, I'd rate it a bit more like this (worst first):

Redskins -- Snyder is a narcissistic fantasist who will never let the football people do their jobs, insists on inserting himself into draft process, terrorizes staff. The Redskins will on the whole be terrible as long as he owns them.

Bengals -- Stuck in the 1970s in terms of management structure, won't listen to anyone with sense

Cardinals -- Ditto

Jets -- His name is "Woody Johnson" FFS. He's like Redskins' owner but with less business sense.

Colts -- He's made some good GM hires in the past and let them work, but is widely known to be a total arsehole

The harassment allegations are clearly serious and given how fast he decided to sell the Panthers, they're probably real, but outside that Richardson has generally been regarded as a model owner.

Why did the Giants get rid of Coughlin?. As for Snyder you're spot on, (I remember his OTT hiring of Sanders etc...  which was a $1b stroking of his own ego)  but I think the QB K Cousins is the big problem for the Redskins. 

The Bengals will always be a crap copy of the Browns. The Lions are the Lions and the Colts need to go home and tell the Ravens to bolt.

Edited by ri Alban

Watt-Zeefuik
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why did the Giants get rid of Coughlin?. As for Snyder you're spot on, (I remember his OTT hiring of Sanders etc...  which was a $1b stroking of his own ego)  but I think the QB K Cousins is the big problem for the Redskins. 

The Bengals will always be a crap copy of the Browns. The Lions are the Lions and the Colts need to go home and tell the Ravens to bolt.

Jerry Reese used him as a fall guy, but his replacements were worse, which is why Reese is now out of a job. I think Gettleman will land a good coach.

Baltimore thoroughly belongs to the Ravens at this point.  They love the historic Colts but that franchise is dead to them. The Colts should change their name, though, Peyton Manning said Johnny Unitas was always cordial to him but made it clear he saw the Indy Colts as a different team and when the Ravens came back, Unitas privately gave them all his support.

18 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Jerry Reese used him as a fall guy, but his replacements were worse, which is why Reese is now out of a job. I think Gettleman will land a good coach.

Baltimore thoroughly belongs to the Ravens at this point.  They love the historic Colts but that franchise is dead to them. The Colts should change their name, though, Peyton Manning said Johnny Unitas was always cordial to him but made it clear he saw the Indy Colts as a different team and when the Ravens came back, Unitas privately gave them all his support.

I didn't know that about JU. Do Baltimore still have the Colts marching band?

Watt-Zeefuik
17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Ok, cheers for the info. You learn something new everyday.

Who are your favourites for the Superbowl?

AFC v NFC

TBH I have watched so much less football this year than I have in the past, there are probably 10 better informed opinions on here.

I don't think the Eagles are as bad under Foles as they've looked -- I wouldn't go so far as to pick them for the SB, but I wouldn't trust any of the other 5 teams to make it either.

In the AFC, the only smart pick is the ****ing Patriots, but I can't bring myself to do that. I don't buy the Steelers but I haven't seen much of them. Darkhorse pick is the Chiefs I think -- started the season on fire, hit a real skid and disappeared off the radar, then quietly finished the season on a four game winning streak (admittedly against some pretty bad teams). 

TBH I have watched so much less football this year than I have in the past, there are probably 10 better informed opinions on here.

I don't think the Eagles are as bad under Foles as they've looked -- I wouldn't go so far as to pick them for the SB, but I wouldn't trust any of the other 5 teams to make it either.

In the AFC, the only smart pick is the ****ing Patriots, but I can't bring myself to do that. I don't buy the Steelers but I haven't seen much of them. Darkhorse pick is the Chiefs I think -- started the season on fire, hit a real skid and disappeared off the radar, then quietly finished the season on a four game winning streak (admittedly against some pretty bad teams). 

For some reason my gut is telling me the Vikings.

Watt-Zeefuik
29 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

For some reason my gut is telling me the Vikings.

Could be, could be. It's kind of an article of faith in my mind that the Vikings just simply do not make the Super Bowl no matter how good they are (see the 15-1 Randy Moss season). 

6 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Could be, could be. It's kind of an article of faith in my mind that the Vikings just simply do not make the Super Bowl no matter how good they are (see the 15-1 Randy Moss season). 

Have they inducted RM and TO into the HoF yet? 

Any remote hints as to who might be Wembley-bound next season?

Don't wanna wait until official announcements in April :lol: 

13 minutes ago, Boof said:

Pretty sure the teams will be announced in January.

9 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Cardinals -- Ditto

That's all well and good but folk will be looking at the current state and see a franchise who just shit all over their legendary QB and will be hesitant on taking on the job if they have offers elsewhere...I mean if they can do that to Manning they can do it to anyone. There's also the small matter of a broken locker room.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

1 hour ago, Boof said:

There's to be an announcement in January.

Don't think I'll get to any this year as I go on a stag around the same time and with a house move, just not viable. Unless the Lions go across then it'll be a different kettle of fish!

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's all well and good but folk will be looking at the current state and see a franchise who just shit all over their legendary QB and will be hesitant on taking on the job if they have offers elsewhere...I mean if they can do that to Manning they can do it to anyone. There's also the small matter of a broken locker room.

If Eli is legendary it's a pretty minor legend. He's a two-time Super Bowl winner and and MVP,  and that's no small thing, but he's either done or close to it. You have to bench legends eventually, and it's never fun.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Have they inducted RM and TO into the HoF yet? 

It's Moss's first year up. Owens was up last year but didn't even make the final 10. I am dead certain Moss will get in eventually.  Owens will probably get in but he made so many enemies along the way I think there's a small chance he could be left out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902168/article/randy-moss-terrell-owens-among-hall-of-fame-finalists

10 hours ago, Ugly American said:

If Eli is legendary it's a pretty minor legend. He's a two-time Super Bowl winner and and MVP,  and that's no small thing, but he's either done or close to it. You have to bench legends eventually, and it's never fun.

It's Moss's first year up. Owens was up last year but didn't even make the final 10. I am dead certain Moss will get in eventually.  Owens will probably get in but he made so many enemies along the way I think there's a small chance he could be left out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000902168/article/randy-moss-terrell-owens-among-hall-of-fame-finalists

It's shocking if both don't make it, they're probably 2 of the top 5 greatest WRs ever. JR being the goat, although Art Monk was one of my heroes as a boy.(Riggins and Green make up my top 3 favourite Redskins).

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fake news. Not one named source. All over the sports talk radio this morning here in Boston. Already debunked supposedly by Brady's agent. But I guess he would say that. Patriots not having a game this week makes the story more likely to run a little longer. ESPN not exactly the bastion of truth lately either. But we'll see what transpires over the coming days.

Sexton Hardcastle

Just getting back on this site after Xmas. Kudos to ain’t nothing buck luck in the final. I spent Xmas in Poland and was consumed with too much vodka to make changes I planned. Same in the other format and didn’t even start a kicker and that cost me. Enjoyable pair of leagues.

hard to see past 4 Home wins this weekend. Fancy a patriots saints super bowl at the moment.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Just getting back on this site after Xmas. Kudos to ain’t nothing buck luck in the final. I spent Xmas in Poland and was consumed with too much vodka to make changes I planned. Same in the other format and didn’t even start a kicker and that cost me. Enjoyable pair of leagues.

hard to see past 4 Home wins this weekend. Fancy a patriots saints super bowl at the moment.

Took Titans as my only road win. Love the play-off weekends.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Fake news. Not one named source. All over the sports talk radio this morning here in Boston. Already debunked supposedly by Brady's agent. But I guess he would say that. Patriots not having a game this week makes the story more likely to run a little longer. ESPN not exactly the bastion of truth lately either. But we'll see what transpires over the coming days.

Yet all very plausible. 

It was apparent at the time and it still is now, that Garoppolo trade stunk!

alwaysthereinspirit
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yet all very plausible. 

No denying the trade looked worse every time San Fran won. Patriots were probably looking at 2nd or 3rd pick in the second round. Not now.

All 3 just made a group statement calling the report unsubstantiated and rooted in fallacies. Back to you ESPN.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yet all very plausible. 

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

No denying the trade looked worse every time San Fran won. Patriots were probably looking at 2nd or 3rd pick in the second round. Not now.

All 3 just made a group statement calling the report unsubstantiated and rooted in fallacies. Back to you ESPN.

True or not, an enjoyable read. Even if it isn't, it might hopefully plant a seed. Haters gonna hate and we all hate the patriots :pleased:

alwaysthereinspirit
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

True or not, an enjoyable read. Even if it isn't, it might hopefully plant a seed. Haters gonna hate and we all hate the patriots :pleased:

As a Patriot fan for now my 32nd year (first game was 1988 Jets) I don't know what I'll do when it all ends. Its been quite the run. Its been amazing watching it all since 2001. I was at the game Bledsoe got injured and Brady came in. Also the Jets. 11 days after 9-11. Brady is on another mission this year. Proving he's not done at 40. Most likely MVP as well.

Go Pats.  

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:spoton: