**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

Sorry if I held you guys up. I'm in London with The Ok Social Club (http://www.myspace.com/theoksocialclub) for three gigs they are playing over the weekend. Went to see The Cribs play their first two albums back to back in front of 600 people on Wednesday, absolutely ace gig.

Couldn't respond to any messages as my phone is messed but that's my picks made now. Ringer could have an impact this year if Johnson continues to hold out or gets hurt, where as Jackson is a pick for the (hopefully) near future when Favre eventually retires.

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

Sterling Archer

Sorry if I held you guys up. I'm in London with The Ok Social Club (http://www.myspace.c...heoksocialclub) for three gigs they are playing over the weekend. Went to see The Cribs play their first two albums back to back in front of 600 people on Wednesday, absolutely ace gig.

Couldn't respond to any messages as my phone is messed but that's my picks made now. Ringer could have an impact this year if Johnson continues to hold out or gets hurt, where as Jackson is a pick for the (hopefully) near future when Favre eventually retires.

No worries mate, love the Cribs, sounds like you're enjoying yourself.

You bar steward taking Ringer!!

Quite pleased with that one!

He's another player I seriously thought about taking with an earlier pick but fell to me anyway; joining V. Young, F. Jackson and S. Breaston in that regard.

Sterling Archer

Earl Bennett is a nice pick, I've been close to taking him for the last couple of rounds

I agree, someone I was considering.

I'm one good ~RB away from being really happy with my team. Will probably have to wait a season before getting one though

Sterling Archer

I'm one good ~RB away from being really happy with my team. Will probably have to wait a season before getting one though

Couldn't make my mind up between Moeki and Karim, was really struggling with that.

I'd agree about your team though. Starting lineup looks good

Stafford

Benson

Spiller

Fitz

Marshall

Housh

Burleson/McFadden?

Cooley

Currently I'm looking at

Rodgers

Matthews

Wells

Nicks

Benn

Gaffney

Bush

Carlson

Nucky Thompson

Karim will be used as a kick returner this season IMO, I had a look at him myself.

Couldn't make my mind up between Moeki and Karim, was really struggling with that.

I'd agree about your team though. Starting lineup looks good

Stafford

Benson

Spiller

Fitz

Marshall

Housh

Burleson/McFadden?

Cooley

Currently I'm looking at

Rodgers

Matthews

Wells

Nicks

Benn

Gaffney

Bush

Carlson

Yep happy with that, though I'll probably have Flacco playing more than Stafford. Been looking at the rosters trying to work out a trade for a RB, only thing is I'd probably be forced to trade Fitzgerald/Marshall which I'm not up for. Just being greedy really :lol:

I like your team,great QB, good youngsters. What would you want for Matthews or Wells? :ninja:

Sterling Archer

Yep happy with that, though I'll probably have Flacco playing more than Stafford. Been looking at the rosters trying to work out a trade for a RB, only thing is I'd probably be forced to trade Fitzgerald/Marshall which I'm not up for. Just being greedy really :lol:

I like your team,great QB, good youngsters. What would you want for Matthews or Wells? :ninja:

Nothing at the moment. It'd take Fitz for one of them and I don't think that's fair, Fitz is worth more. He was your first round pick! Let's wait and see how things pan out in season and we might be able to talk then.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Apart from the legend that is Kevin Faulk (and as much as I love the guy I don't want or need 3 Pats in my backfield), are there any decent running backs left?

Sterling Archer

Apart from the legend that is Kevin Faulk (and as much as I love the guy I don't want or need 3 Pats in my backfield), are there any decent running backs left?

There's a few but none worth taking now, there's better guys out there currently. Give me a few rounds though and I'll consider Boston Legal thumbsup.gif

Rick Grimes

There's a few but none worth taking now, there's better guys out there currently. Give me a few rounds though and I'll consider Boston Legal thumbsup.gif

stop stealing my picks!!!! :verymad:

Sterling Archer

stop stealing my picks!!!! :verymad:

I was going to take Roberts, just couldn't do it having so many young WR's already. Maybe you should just trade up infront of me thumbsup.gif

Rick Grimes

in a round or two I'm going to be shooting almost completely blind so I don't think there's much advantage to me handing you an extra draft pick to move up one. nice try tho :thumbsup:

Sterling Archer

in a round or two I'm going to be shooting almost completely blind so I don't think there's much advantage to me handing you an extra draft pick to move up one. nice try tho :thumbsup:

If I don't get that pick back somehow I'll just need to add someone through waivers.

The talent pool is definately drying up and we've still got 135 picks to go! :woot:

I know who I want to pick up for my taxi squad already though. I've been planning ahead!

Rick Grimes

remind me how the taxi squad works again....

also, next year's draft I take it is on rookies only - is the ladder removed to give a straight bottom-picks-first draft thru each round?

Edited by Florian Schneider

Sterling Archer

remind me how the taxi squad works again....

also, next year's draft I take it is on rookies only - is the ladder removed to give a straight bottom-picks-first draft thru each round?

Essentially the taxi squad is an optional 5 players you can add. They can then be promoted to your regular squad if they develop but if you were going to do that you'd have to drop someone. Once you've added someone to your main roster from the taxi squad they can't go back (so you'd wait till they were actually doing something before doing it). You can't drop people from your current roster to taxi squad, they have to be free agent pickups. If you want to steal someone from someone else's taxi squad you have to give up next year's 1st round pick to do so. This stops people from being able to hold excellent youngsters there even when they come good. If someone tries to take someone from your taxi squad and is willing to give up the first you have the option to add them to your roster (and drop an existing guy) or to lose them.

The "rookie" draft next year will include all incoming rookies and any free agents that are left over. The order will work based on W-L record during the previous season. Worst team gets 1st pick in each round, just like the NFL draft.

Rick Grimes

quite a big price to take someone from another's taxi squad - is filling them a free for all or done on soem kind of waivers at end of draft?

Sterling Archer

quite a big price to take someone from another's taxi squad - is filling them a free for all or done on soem kind of waivers at end of draft?

Not sure, it's tempting to do it like they do in the NFL with undrafted free agents, just have it be a free for all.

During the season we're using blind bid waivers though so it may be best just to use them from the minute the draft finishes.

Infact, I'll set up a poll on the league site. All the league rules are up there by the way, here's the link: (you'll need to scroll down a bit)

http://football23.myfantasyleague.com/2010/options?L=54832&O=26

Rick Grimes

would probably lean towards a waiver system - its not like we can offer them more money or anything :)

that said, not really sure of the point of the taxi squad - surely our rosters are big enough at 26 to carry a few hopeful prospects. half of my team already fits that description!

Edited by Florian Schneider

Sterling Archer

would probably lean towards a waiver system - its not like we can offer them more money or anything :)

that said, not really sure of the point of the taxi squad - surely our rosters are big enough at 26 to carry a few hopeful prospects. half of my team already fits that description!

The amount of taxi squad spots is still up for debate, thinking 3 might be better! I'm probably keen on a waiver system too actually, not that you'd have to spend much to get these guys!

What is blind bid waivers? :unsure:

I'll give you a quick explanation now and find something more detailed nearer the end of the draft. Essentially it's a method of accquiring free agents. There are a couple of different methods used and each has advantages/disadvantages.

You can do simple pick ups/drops whenever you like although I've never seen this used. Essentially means that if Adrian Peterson went down injured and his backup was a Free agent you could go out and grab him straight away. This gives an advantage to those that have instant access to the net though and penalises those who aren't right on top of things during the game.

Second option is to use the waiver wire, here there is a set period during each week where you can "claim" a player you want. This usually runs between the start of games on a Sunday until a Thursday morning. On a Thursday any waiver claims are processed and players are awarded to teams. The advantage of this is that there is no penalty as to when you submit your claim. One team could do it on sunday night and another on tuesday and it doesn't matter.

When using a waiver wire you need to establish who has priority over a free agent if multiple teams put in a claim for him. I can't remember if you were in the league Scott ran on ESPN last year but that league used a system based on rankings. e.g. if 2 teams claimed a player the team with the worse record would be awarded him. This allows poorer teams first shot at free agents to try and get better.

The system we'll be using is blind bids, it's just another way to seperate who wins a player. Each team has $500 virtual dollars for the whole season, when you submit a claim for a player you place a bid of who much you are willing to pay for him. Bids cannot be seen by other teams so you need to work out if he'll be in high demand or if you can pick him up for a $1. Whoever has the highest bid for a player wins the player and the money is deducted from their season total, the others would keep their money. If a team doesn't have any money left they cannot submit any waiver claims.

Any questions give me a shout.

The amount of taxi squad spots is still up for debate, thinking 3 might be better! I'm probably keen on a waiver system too actually, not that you'd have to spend much to get these guys!

I'll give you a quick explanation now and find something more detailed nearer the end of the draft. Essentially it's a method of accquiring free agents. There are a couple of different methods used and each has advantages/disadvantages.

You can do simple pick ups/drops whenever you like although I've never seen this used. Essentially means that if Adrian Peterson went down injured and his backup was a Free agent you could go out and grab him straight away. This gives an advantage to those that have instant access to the net though and penalises those who aren't right on top of things during the game.

Second option is to use the waiver wire, here there is a set period during each week where you can "claim" a player you want. This usually runs between the start of games on a Sunday until a Thursday morning. On a Thursday any waiver claims are processed and players are awarded to teams. The advantage of this is that there is no penalty as to when you submit your claim. One team could do it on sunday night and another on tuesday and it doesn't matter.

When using a waiver wire you need to establish who has priority over a free agent if multiple teams put in a claim for him. I can't remember if you were in the league Scott ran on ESPN last year but that league used a system based on rankings. e.g. if 2 teams claimed a player the team with the worse record would be awarded him. This allows poorer teams first shot at free agents to try and get better.

The system we'll be using is blind bids, it's just another way to seperate who wins a player. Each team has $500 virtual dollars for the whole season, when you submit a claim for a player you place a bid of who much you are willing to pay for him. Bids cannot be seen by other teams so you need to work out if he'll be in high demand or if you can pick him up for a $1. Whoever has the highest bid for a player wins the player and the money is deducted from their season total, the others would keep their money. If a team doesn't have any money left they cannot submit any waiver claims.

Any questions give me a shout.

Cheers for the rundown.

I like the sound of waiver wire or blind bids. wouldn't be too keen on a free for all, Although going by average draft times, It would indicate that I am the biggest loser here and would benefit most from this option :woot:

I actually remember the waiver wire from last year,and it seemed to work well. I picked up Pierre Garcon through it.

Sterling Archer

Cheers for the rundown.

I like the sound of waiver wire or blind bids. wouldn't be too keen on a free for all, Although going by average draft times, It would indicate that I am the biggest loser here and would benefit most from this option :woot:

I actually remember the waiver wire from last year,and it seemed to work well. I picked up Pierre Garcon through it.

We're going with blind bids throughout the season it was just what to use to fill out taxi squads that was up for debate. I like the idea of blind bids as if you really want a guy you can go out and spend to get him.

Don't know that we'll have as many situations like that seeing as this league is a lot deeper and more guys are drafted.

We're going with blind bids throughout the season it was just what to use to fill out taxi squads that was up for debate. I like the idea of blind bids as if you really want a guy you can go out and spend to get him.

Don't know that we'll have as many situations like that seeing as this league is a lot deeper and more guys are drafted.

I'm happy with going with blind bids, just voted for it.

Sterling Archer

I'm happy with going with blind bids, just voted for it.

Excellent. Do you reckon the draft will speed up or slow down once we get into the very late rounds?

Rick Grimes

seems to be slowing down - much more research requiring to be done as we reach the unknowns.

Sterling Archer

seems to be slowing down - much more research requiring to be done as we reach the unknowns.

Long way to go yet as well! :unsure:

At least there is still some starters out there. by the 25th round we'll be on to practice squad guys :lol:

Sterling Archer

We seem to be rolling again today, been quite quick through the turn. Only a few rounds to go now, is anyone else just picking the guys they want and ignoring who the system suggests? :lol:

We seem to be rolling again today, been quite quick through the turn. Only a few rounds to go now, is anyone else just picking the guys they want and ignoring who the system suggests? :lol:

Pretty much been picking my own up until today, Don't really have much to go on with those that are left so I'm picking off the top of the list now :ninja:

The system makes suggestions??!!?? In that case, I've been wasting my time watching NFL TV 24 hours a day for the last month...

Nucky Thompson

My last two picks just fell into my lap :thumbsup: I'm quite happy with Hartline, he scored 3 TD's last season in his rookie year and there is plenty of room for improvement.

Rick Grimes

My last two picks just fell into my lap :thumbsup: I'm quite happy with Hartline, he scored 3 TD's last season in his rookie year and there is plenty of room for improvement.

hartline could well be a great pick, could be WR#2

Sterling Archer

hartline could well be a great pick, could be WR#2

Hartline should be number 2 with Bess in the slot. Obviously Marshall and the running game will limit what he can do this year but it's the 18th round. You can't complain.

Rick Grimes

Hartline should be number 2 with Bess in the slot. Obviously Marshall and the running game will limit what he can do this year but it's the 18th round. You can't complain.

indeed, but all the more reason he should at least double his TD receptions - the coverage is gonna be elsewhere.

Sterling Archer

indeed, but all the more reason he should at least double his TD receptions - the coverage is gonna be elsewhere.

Could be right, I like Henne's potential as well. Hopefully I won't steal your pick this time!

Rick Grimes

Could be right, I like Henne's potential as well. Hopefully I won't steal your pick this time!

yeah, was hoping to pick up Henne as a Fin fan.... and you better not or I'll show you my angry face.

Sterling Archer

yeah, was hoping to pick up Henne as a Fin fan.... and you better not or I'll show you my angry face.

I think I'm going to go a slightly different way with my next pick, it's amazing how many picks of ours have been similar.

Rick Grimes

I think I'm going to go a slightly different way with my next pick, it's amazing how many picks of ours have been similar.

hmmmm... you should go kicker.

Sterling Archer

hmmmm... you should go kicker.

At the moment it's looking like a receiver. There's the most talent left there, which also makes me think I can wait. Can't decide.

Rick Grimes

so tired

tired of waiting

tired of waiting for yoooooo-ooooou.

hurry up Goldenacre! :angry:

Sterling Archer

so tired

tired of waiting

tired of waiting for yoooooo-ooooou.

hurry up Goldenacre! :angry:

Think Gordon works during the day. My pick is loaded so you'll be up as soon as he picks. I'm going receiver, we'll see which one I get.

Rick Grimes

the obvious solution is for everyone to populate their pre-draft lists with the worst players possible thus leaving me free to skim whatvere cream is left off & onto my roster.

simples.

Sterling Archer

the obvious solution is for everyone to populate their pre-draft lists with the worst players possible thus leaving me free to skim whatvere cream is left off & onto my roster.

simples.

:lol:

There's really no cream left at this point!

What would be be best is if you go on and your 3 or 4 picks away then just put in a pre draft pick, rather than waiting until you're actually on the clock, that'd speed things up ALOT.

Sterling Archer

I`m now using scout reports to try and find a gem now.

I was trying to decide between Douglas, Nelson and Naanee, great upside pick. To get a possible starter in the 18th round is good value.

Rick Grimes

a wee text to the Cowboys & Colts to remind them they're up should see us motoring on tonight or in the morning :thumbsup: