Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

Stuart Lyon

Pans Jambo - my brother and sister-in-laws wedding reception was held in the Johnny Cope 50 years ago last Saturday!

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jack D and coke

down the steps off Cockburn Street going down to the station

Fleshmarket Close

Jinglin Geordie is still there.

The Penny Black?

was that the one next to the caf? royal? you went upstairs to it, opened about 5 or 6 in the morning

was that the one next to the caf? royal? you went upstairs to it, opened about 5 or 6 in the morning

That's the one Mishter Bond!!

When you asked where the toilet was you were told 'you're standing in it'.

That sort of place.

Morgan, on 11 May 2017 - 10:29 PM, said:

That's the one Mishter Bond!!

When you asked where the toilet was you were told 'you're standing in it'.

That sort of place.

went there once at 6am we were bevying before heading up to Aberdeen for a match...what a s**t hole

went there once at 6am we were bevying before heading up to Aberdeen for a match...what a s**t hole

Watched Scotland v NZ in a WC game around six in the morning in there and had my first 'annual report' done there over copious pints of lager and whisky 'shandies'. :phface:

Morgan, on 11 May 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

Watched Scotland v NZ in a WC game around six in the morning in there and had my first 'annual report' done there over copious pints of lager and whisky 'shandies'. :phface:

:tiny:

The Red Lion in leith walk also open early doors, for the seasoned turps nudgers

Punks No Deid

The Red Lion in leith walk also open early doors, for the seasoned turps nudgers

was that the tiny wee boozer that a fair few posties used to go to early doors?

Say What Again

was that the tiny wee boozer that a fair few posties used to go to early doors?

Yep, next door to The Old Salt - which also opened about 6am.

The last time I was in there before it closed down /  got revamped, I walked two paces in the door and an old boy sitting at the bar threw a lighter at me :lol:

rael11, on 12 May 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Where was that again? Rings a bell.

near the bottom of Lothian road ,full of old car memorabilia

Punks No Deid

Yep, next door to The Old Salt - which also opened about 6am.

The last time I was in there before it closed down /  got revamped, I walked two paces in the door and an old boy sitting at the bar threw a lighter at me :lol:

Was there not a story (maybe an urban myth) that a barmaid had it away with a punter out of hours in there, not realising that they had cctv? Video was circulated around Leith? As I say it may be just an urban myth

Say What Again

Was there not a story (maybe an urban myth) that a barmaid had it away with a punter out of hours in there, not realising that they had cctv? Video was circulated around Leith? As I say it may be just an urban myth

I do hope so - my mates Mum worked there for a few years :rofl:

Oh aye. Remember it now.

Was that the old Paddys bar?

Morgan, on 12 May 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Was that the old Paddys bar?

Cant remember what it was prior to joes garage

Stuart Lyon

Currrent and previous names for  pub at bottom of Lothian Road 

Red Squirrel

Capital

Fresh Office

Faze

Joe's Garage

Schloss Bierkeller

Berkley

Ferret & Trouser Leg 

Paddy's Vat

Fiddle Pub The

Currrent and previous names for  pub at bottom of Lothian Road 

Red Squirrel

Capital

Fresh Office

Faze

Joe's Garage

Schloss Bierkeller

Berkley

Ferret & Trouser Leg 

Paddy's Vat

Fiddle Pub The

Not Paddys then Stuart?

I'm maybe thinking of the wrong place but don't think I am. Just to the left of the old Caley cinema?

Huge place it was and I'm sure it became Joes Garage.

the general

Not Paddys then Stuart?

I'm maybe thinking of the wrong place but don't think I am. Just to the left of the old Caley cinema?

was Paddy's not in Rose Street?

and I always thought it was just 'the office' 

was Paddy's not in Rose Street?

and I always thought it was just 'the office'

There was a Paddys in Rose Street which was actually owned by ex Hearts player Paddy Crossan but there was also Paddys in Lothian Road.

The Office was Francos Office bar beside the Kings Theatre.

The Penny Black?

Only drank in there once. Early morning pint before catching the train to Hampden for the '92 semi v. Airdrie. Empty glasses from the night before still on the table and a used condom under it.

Horrible place.

the general

from a previous thread

Red Squirrel's previous names

The Capital
Fresh\The Office
FAze
Schloss Bierkeller
The Berkley
Ferret & Trouser Leg
Paddy"s
The Vat & Fiddle Pub 

Not a pub but...coasters/Outerlimits remember that place? the guy with the white shirt and the dodgy tash thinking he's cool  lol, I remember I used to get lucky in there :tiny:

Only drank in there once. Early morning pint before catching the train to Hampden for the '92 semi v. Airdrie. Empty glasses from the night before still on the table and a used condom under it.

Horrible place.

So, you'd been in there the night before as well Mart?

:whistling:

Not a pub but...coasters/Outerlimits remember that place? the guy with the white shirt and the dodgy tash thinking he's cool  lol, I remember I used to get lucky in there :tiny:

Lucky?

Like as in finding money? That sort of thing?

:lol::laugh4:

Morgan, on 12 May 2017 - 2:14 PM, said:

Lucky?

Like as in finding money? That sort of thing?

:lol::laugh4:

nah two in the bush kinda thing :tiny:

Stuart Lyon

Morgan it was Paddy's not Paddy's Vat as per my previous post  - the Vat bit belonged the Vat & Fiddle

Morgan it was Paddy's not Paddy's Vat as per my previous post  - the Vat bit belonged the Vat & Fiddle

Cheers Stuart.

Pans Jambo

Pans Jambo - my brother and sister-in-laws wedding reception was held in the Johnny Cope 50 years ago last Saturday!

Was some place in it time. Huge bar, large lounge, back lounge/function suite and a massive hall upstairs. I can imagine a wedding in there back in the day. I started drinking in there late 80s so a bit before my time Stu.

Edit: Congrats to the happy couple

My memory of the Berkley in Lothian Road was it was a club more than a pub, and was pretty well a place frequented mainly by American airmen from Kirknewton, that would be circa early fifties.

Seymour M Hersh

Not Paddys then Stuart?

That was Paddy's Bar. I worked there in the late 70's. Brilliant boozer for a couple of years but (as they all seem to do) went down hill rather badly.

How about the Burnt Post?

Or, wait for it - the Buffs club in West Register Street?

Stuart Lyon

The Villager formerly the 

O'Connels , Bridge Bar, and  Scruffy Murphy's

next door nearer the Nat Library was the former Bar Khol  previously  the Royal George Bar and then the Quill

J.T.F.Robertson

How about the Burnt Post?

Went there regularly for a while, back in the day.

Went there regularly for a while, back in the day.

Great boozer.

J.T.F.Robertson

Anyone remember a cafe called "Mr Smith's", on Lothian Road? It was a popular hangout back during the original Mod days. (Precambrian :()

It was a panther and I'm pretty sure the pub was the Coburg bar

Used to have a massive painting of King Billy on a white horse behind the bar. Safe to say it wasn't a favourite haunt of those of a particular religion. Jings, it's easy to forget how different things were in those days.

Used to have a massive painting of King Billy on a white horse behind the bar. Safe to say it wasn't a favourite haunt of those of a particular religion. Jings, it's easy to forget how different things were in those days.

Strange part of town for that sort of bar.

But, hey ho..

Shanks said no

Strange part of town for that sort of bar.

But, hey ho..

Was John Cormack of Protestant Action not a councillor in Leith in the 30's (I could be completely wrong}

Was John Cormack of Protestant Action not a councillor in Leith in the 30's (I could be completely wrong}

I think it may have been later than that, I recall as a teenager in the fifties spending time at the Mound on Sunday nights. there were religious speakers and political speakers all on their soap boxes. One, McEwan was a target of the kids being cheeky to him, some of the others got comments made to them, but, and a big but, no one took on John Cormack, he would verbally put you down, and his cronies who were all around would if you were stupid enough to say anything would sort you out fast. Cormack gained a bit of a reputation for non conformity when during a visit of the Royal Family he refered to "them and their two picanninies" there was considerable shock through out the town. I seem to remember Cormack also being a judge in the Burgh court.

Shanks said no

I think it may have been later than that, I recall as a teenager in the fifties spending time at the Mound on Sunday nights. there were religious speakers and political speakers all on their soap boxes. One, McEwan was a target of the kids being cheeky to him, some of the others got comments made to them, but, and a big but, no one took on John Cormack, he would verbally put you down, and his cronies who were all around would if you were stupid enough to say anything would sort you out fast. Cormack gained a bit of a reputation for non conformity when during a visit of the Royal Family he refered to "them and their two picanninies" there was considerable shock through out the town. I seem to remember Cormack also being a judge in the Burgh court.

Bob

I've dug a bit and he was elected in the 30's and was a councillor for 17 years after the war

http://www.leithermagazine.com/2010/06/17/pen-portraits-issue-65.html

sorry for hijacking a good thread, lets get back to talking pubs!

Archived