Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

Boaby Prentice
I heard a similar story about wee bald Davie in the Diggers (early '80s).

Bloke asked for a lager/lager & lime/lager top & Davie said, "If you want a facny cocktail, you can **** off along to the Blue Lagoon."

Used to be only women were allowed lager, in a half pint mind you.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The pubs of my youth were The Kestrel and Johnsburn House in Balerno, worked in both for years and both are sadly now gone (JB still there as it is a Baronial mansion, just not open as a boozer anymore). Kestrel was flattened to make way for over priced houses with four inches between them.

Spent many an 18th birthday party at the Kestrel raiding the stock room.

From the same neck of the woods, The Weaversknowe.

Talk about spoiled for choice.

I am in equal walking distance for the following. Anchor Inn, Ferry Boat and the Gunner.

No wonder I seldom drink nowadays.

I am old enough to remember when big Dick ran the doocot and on a Saturday lunch-time you couldnt move in the bar as it was absolutely jam packed. Women were only allowed in the lounge or upstairs to the Bird's cage when there was a doo on.

John

Ah the bird's cage many a friday night 6 of us sat around 2 bottles of nukie broon with straws trying 2 pull a bird with some cash for another couple of bottles

willie wallace
Talk about spoiled for choice.

I am in equal walking distance for the following. Anchor Inn, Ferry Boat and the Gunner.

No wonder I seldom drink nowadays.

I am old enough to remember when big Dick ran the doocot and on a Saturday lunch-time you couldnt move in the bar as it was absolutely jam packed. Women were only allowed in the lounge or upstairs to the Bird's cage when there was a doo

John

Yeah,big Dick and his big dugs.

The Barnton Pub

Was my local for years until they bulldozed it

it's been bulldozed ?

It's been shut for ages, but I thought it was a listed building ?

John Findlay and BigAndyK - I worked part-time in the Doo'cot when Dick Porteous ran it with his son Richard. The original layout of the pub had 5 bars, the Public Bar, The Lounge, The Cocktail Bar (upstairs) The Family Bar and the Games Room. Women were allowed in the Lounge, Family Bar and Cocktail Bar. The Birdcage was added later because of the success of the entertainment nights in the Lounge Bar.

Saturday afternoon was a madhouse with most in the Public Bar focused on the horse racing on TV. Had many an entertaining night when there was trouble. The bother eased-up when the Ferryboat opened then the Gunner and finally the now defunct Wullie Muir. I may have served you guys if you drank there between 68 and 71!

Prince Buaben
Pretty sure it's still there but not sure what as. It changed to Bar Oz, and Aussie theme bar for quite a while.

By Aussie theme bar I mean they stuck a couple of posters up and had a toy Koala and hat with corks on it behind the bar.

Oddfellows was still known as Oddfellows till about the summer. Its now called "something" cow

The biggest dive I remember was a pub under the railway bridge at Abbeyhill. It was knocked down some time around '83.

It was a regular haunt of some of the guys I worked with at S&N and it was literally falling down around your ears.

No idea what it was called.

Say What Again
The biggest dive I remember was a pub under the railway bridge at Abbeyhill. It was knocked down some time around '83.

It was a regular haunt of some of the guys I worked with at S&N and it was literally falling down around your ears.

No idea what it was called.

Cairns's.

It was run by Pat Stanton until it closed, and Stanton took over the Tolbooth downstairs from my folks. If it was '83, I'd be 8 years old and that sounds about right.

As a nipper I used to go in on a Saturday morning before Tynecastle and Pat used to bet me a half pint against a glass of coke and a bag of jaggies, Hearts result vs Hibs result. Won many a watered doon schooner of coke and a bag of ready salted KPs.

:10900:

willie wallace
John Findlay and BigAndyK - I worked part-time in the Doo'cot when Dick Porteous ran it with his son Richard. The original layout of the pub had 5 bars, the Public Bar, The Lounge, The Cocktail Bar (upstairs) The Family Bar and the Games Room. Women were allowed in the Lounge, Family Bar and Cocktail Bar. The Birdcage was added later because of the success of the entertainment nights in the Lounge Bar.

Saturday afternoon was a madhouse with most in the Public Bar focused on the horse racing on TV. Had many an entertaining night when there was trouble. The bother eased-up when the Ferryboat opened then the Gunner and finally the now defunct Wullie Muir. I may have served you guys if you drank there between 68 and 71!

Stuart,you may well have served me my first ever pint in the Doo'cot.1971 would have been my first time in there.

No me I was born in 64 I started young but not that young.

Ah..The Doocot.

Remember when it opened around 1960, I think, they had a Commissionaire opening the door for the punters from Muirhouse, Drylaw and Pilton for the first few weeks.

In the early seventies it sold more beer than any other Scottish & Newcastle pub in the whole of Scotland.

In the early seventies there was a fire in the Cocktail Bar and the pub was closed for several days prompting the following headline in the Daily Express "500 Men Homeless".

Nowadays it is a horrible place with only one bar open and the new owners selling little known English beer and lager. What a waste.

Cairns's.

It was run by Pat Stanton until it closed, and Stanton took over the Tolbooth downstairs from my folks. If it was '83, I'd be 8 years old and that sounds about right.

As a nipper I used to go in on a Saturday morning before Tynecastle and Pat used to bet me a half pint against a glass of coke and a bag of jaggies, Hearts result vs Hibs result. Won many a watered doon schooner of coke and a bag of ready salted KPs.

:10900:

Good work that man, and now you say it I remember it was pishy pants gaff.

He was a really nice guy actually.

I worked in Paddys Bar in Rose Street when it was owned By Paddy Crossan, son of the Paddy Crossan who played for Hearts, and his wife Jean who ruled the bar staff with a rod of iron. She was the only one who operated the till and the staff had to count up the cost of the drinks as they poured. Woe betide anyone who got the total wrong because she was counting up everyone's round as well. Sometimes, especially when there was a rugby international on, there would be 8 or 9 behind the bar and the place was stowed to the gunnels.

it's been bulldozed ?

It's been shut for ages, but I thought it was a listed building ?

The listed part has been left but the new part (Almond suite and a few other bits) have been torn down.

After meeting in the Highwayman (bus Station) we went to the Flying Scotsman then up to the Mitre great underage haunts in the 70s

I worked in Paddys Bar in Rose Street when it was owned By Paddy Crossan, son of the Paddy Crossan who played for Hearts, and his wife Jean who ruled the bar staff with a rod of iron. She was the only one who operated the till and the staff had to count up the cost of the drinks as they poured. Woe betide anyone who got the total wrong because she was counting up everyone's round as well. Sometimes, especially when there was a rugby international on, there would be 8 or 9 behind the bar and the place was stowed to the gunnels.

I worked in the Abbotsford briefly when I was about 17 (?), so that would be, er ... 1970 ... and there was a guy used to come in in German military uniform and read Mein Kampf at the bar.

And no he wasn't a passing tourist.

• 7 years later...

My pal always talks of a pub in Edinburgh that had a tiger in a cage? Is this true?

Some pub in Leith , but it wasn't a tiger it was a polecat. If you go on to the old edinburgh website, there's a few mentions of it on there .

Dawnrazor

I worked in the Abbotsford briefly when I was about 17 (?), so that would be, er ... 1970 ... and there was a guy used to come in in German military uniform and read Mein Kampf at the bar.

And no he wasn't a passing tourist.

Alex Salmond?

From the bingo you had, The Horseshoe, The Tartan Club, The Fountain, Fingertips, Dundee Arms. Can't think of another.

the

Replies

The Grove Bar

John Findlay

Ah..The Doocot.

Remember when it opened around 1960, I think, they had a Commissionaire opening the door for the punters from Muirhouse, Drylaw and Pilton for the first few weeks.

In the early seventies it sold more beer than any other Scottish & Newcastle pub in the whole of Scotland.

In the early seventies there was a fire in the Cocktail Bar and the pub was closed for several days prompting the following headline in the Daily Express "500 Men Homeless".

Nowadays it is a horrible place with only one bar open and the new owners selling little known English beer and lager. What a waste.

Agreed.

In the 70s a Saturday lunchtime there were more men in the bar than there were at a 2nd division game at the time. Place was heaving. Used to enjoy winding up Dick's two Alsatian dugs that roamed in the yard round the back.

Agreed.

In the 70s a Saturday lunchtime there were more men in the bar than there were at a 2nd division game at the time. Place was heaving. Used to enjoy winding up Dick's two Alsatian dugs that roamed in the yard round the back.

Mr Porteus?

Some pub in Leith , but it wasn't a tiger it was a polecat. If you go on to the old edinburgh website, there's a few mentions of it on there .

Fairlies. Became the Westward Ho. The Westward was RAF. Dockers that were barred from everywhere else mainly.

Dawnrazor

"The Doocot" is that the one that had the Alsation on the flat roof?

"The Doocot" is that the one that had the Alsation on the flat roof?

Craigmiller castle used to have a dug on the roof.

Stuart Lyon

I worked for Mr Porteous in the Doo'cot for about 3 years and do not recall either of his dogs sitting on the pub roof at any time. The older dog was  the more lively one while the young one was quite timid. 

Saturday lunchtimes in the public bar were something else with the majority of punters spending their time between watching the racing on TV and diving next door to the bookies with their bets. An amazing amount of McEwan's 80/- ale was drunk during these sessions.

joe.gausden

I worked for Mr Porteous in the Doo'cot for about 3 years and do not recall either of his dogs sitting on the pub roof at any time. The older dog was  the more lively one while the young one was quite timid. 

Saturday lunchtimes in the public bar were something else with the majority of punters spending their time between watching the racing on TV and diving next door to the bookies with their bets. An amazing amount of McEwan's 80/- ale was drunk during these sessions.

The Doocot has a pitched roof so no dogs on it, unless it was on the birdcage? The White House in Niddrie had dogs on the roof I think?

joe.gausden

I might have been thinking of the Ferryboat?

The Ferryboat and The Gunner both had flat roofs but can't remember there ever being any dogs on them

Actually, that was the one I was thinking of! Art deco pub.

The Alsatian was always on the roof of the castle tavern definitely not the whitehouse roof

jack D and coke

The Alsatian was always on the roof of the castle tavern definitely not the whitehouse roof

Aye it was the Castle Tavern which is now the little Tesco.

Anyone mind Paupers in a wee lane off Rose Street?

Think it was opposite the Auld Hundred and a deli place called Nickis.

Big Slim Stylee

Anyone mind Paupers in a wee lane off Rose Street?

Think it was opposite the Auld Hundred and a deli place called Nickis.

Threads like this make me go all misty eyed :(

John Findlay

Craigmiller castle used to have a dug on the roof.

You want God to save the Queen?

Nicky Tams

Beau Brummell

Bow Bar

Wine Glass

Cottars Howff.

The White Cockade

Cottars Howff.

Harry's Bar

Jinglin Geordie

Talking of Fleshmarket Close is Alfie's barbers still there?

Harry's Bar

Jinglin Geordie

Talking of Fleshmarket Close is Alfie's barbers still there?

Harry's bar was ace on a Friday night.

Jinglin Geordie? Was that the top end of the High Street? Down two or three wee steps?

The White Cockade

Jinglin Geordie? Was that the top end of the High Street? Down two or three wee steps?

down the steps off Cockburn Street going down to the station

Fleshmarket Close

Say What Again

You're possibly thinking of The Jolly Judge?

Fleshmarket Close

Got it. Confused a wee bit there.

You're possibly thinking of The Jolly Judge?

I am indeed - thanks.

Pans Jambo

The Johnnie Cope in the Pans. Where I served my time as a young drinking apprentice.

Its a community Cafe now. Its been a restaurant, soft play area, kids American diner, a barbers etc since it closed.

Miss those sticky carpets & flat Tennents lager.

Fleshmarket Close

It's still there. I was in about a month ago.

Great go see this old thread back on the go....

Grew up in Tollcross..drinking 80s...

International...could take dog in..last pub on a Friday night.

Old Toll...Nice elderly couple, good spread Christmas day/night

Lochrin... Still on the go..

Laurie's..Great Hearts pub, with good banter from hibs and old firm fans...stowed out easily..

Tap o Lauriston...Art crowd and punks at back bar(saw grace Jones there) Saturday night Scottish football highlights and darts in the front.

Illicit still... Meeting place for dates, open later

Bennets...Full of smoke, in and out of snug bar....celebrity spotting.

Refections...Strange sofas, cocktails, open late, usually a fight.

Bridie's...Go go bar, not advertised as now, couples just walked in?

gogsfaesydney

It wasn't a tiger, some other kind of big cat. It was in Leith near The Shore.

Allegedly.

It was a panther and I'm pretty sure the pub was the Coburg bar

gogsfaesydney

It was a panther and I'm pretty sure the pub was the Coburg bar

Just had a look and it was the Merrymaker in Commercial St. It was a Puma and attacked a female customer

Stuart Lyon

Now Giulliano's lately the Merchants Bar but former names include

Fairleys Bar of Leith

Westward Ho

Trade Winds

Merrymaker Bar

Archived