Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

Anyone remember a cafe called "Mr Smith's", on Lothian Road? It was a popular hangout back during the original Mod days. (Precambrian :()

Yes, It was Velveteen recently until it was converted to a Mexican restaurant called Topolobamba. Was Mr Smith's in the 1960's, was Lord Tom's and Hobgoblins.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shanks said no

Back in the early 80's there was a pub on Nicholson Street opposite what is now the Mosque Kitchen. What was it called?

Yes, It was Velveteen recently until it was converted to a Mexican restaurant called Topolobamba. Was Mr Smith's in the 1960's, was Lord Tom's and Hobgoblins.

Used to be referred to as the Libyan Embassy when it was Lord Tom's as a lot of the Arab students in town hung out there.

The Real Maroonblood

Back in the early 80's there was a pub on Nicholson Street opposite what is now the Mosque Kitchen. What was it called?

It might have been The Rat Trap.

crunchy frog

The Bay Horse, Henderson Street. Now Sofia or something. Was my Grandad's shop for 40 years

Stuart Lyon

Latterly Doolittles it is now a bookies - previous names

The Rat Trap, Palace Bar  and The Empire Palace Bar

Stuart Lyon

Wee anderson's is in West Nicholson Street - was called Nic Anderson's for a wee while

The Real Maroonblood

Wee anderson's is in West Nicholson Street - was called Nic Anderson's for a wee while

It was opposite The Southsider in West Richmond Street.

the general

what was the one on the other corner , now a KFC I think

The Bay Horse, Henderson Street. Now Sofia or something. Was my Grandad's shop for 40 years

Lived opposite the Bay Horse from late 70's as a kid then it became my local...ran by Colin Mc........... when I was a lad.  Small pool room at the back where you had to use a shortened cue for certain shots 

Always useful for a quick pint after signing on.

crunchy frog

Lived opposite the Bay Horse from late 70's as a kid then it became my local...ran by Colin Mc........... when I was a lad.  Small pool room at the back where you had to use a shortened cue for certain shots 

Colin is my uncle. It was my grandad's name over the door but Colin basically ran it. Now lives in the Borders.

I went in a few months ago and they still have the wee bell on the wall in the pool room that you rang if you wanted service!

crunchy frog

He must have had a few tales to tell!

He certainly never took any shit!

Colin is my uncle. It was my grandad's name over the door but Colin basically ran it. Now lives in the Borders.

I went in a few months ago and they still have the wee bell on the wall in the pool room that you rang if you wanted service!

And they have painted over that fantastic wooden bar...yeah I remember Colin and his son, Kenny?

crunchy frog

And they have painted over that fantastic wooden bar...yeah I remember Colin and his son, Kenny?

Yeah, Kenny. A good lad to have on your side! When my grandad retired and the BH was sold in about 86 they bought the Consort in Great Junction Street and cleaned it up.

Yeah, Kenny. A good lad to have on your side! When my grandad retired and the BH was sold in about 86 they bought the Consort in Great Junction Street and cleaned it up.

Where was that on Junction Street? Was it between the Tam O'Shanter and Leith Walk?

Burke & Baldies......was open until 4am and they still had lock ins !!

Was that Bubbles, The Spiral etc?

crunchy frog

Where was that on Junction Street? Was it between the Tam O'Shanter and Leith Walk?

That's it. Became Macphersons

J.T.F.Robertson

It might have been The Rat Trap.

It was called the Rat Trap for a long time before the 80's. I remember my parents would go there and that goes back to the 60's.

J.T.F.Robertson

Used to be referred to as the Libyan Embassy when it was Lord Tom's as a lot of the Arab students in town hung out there.

I was in there a number of times but hadn't realised 'til now I was actually travelling back to my Mr Smith's days. :(

luckyBatistuta

The Red Lion in leith walk also open early doors, for the seasoned turps nudgers

was that the tiny wee boozer that a fair few posties used to go to early doors?

Yup and they also used the 'Old Salt' and 'Neighbours' which was on the corner of McDonald Road and Hopetoun Crescent which is now a Co-op

luckyBatistuta

Not a pub but...coasters/Outerlimits remember that place? the guy with the white shirt and the dodgy tash thinking he's cool  lol, I remember I used to get lucky in there :tiny:

Had a good laugh watching that. Seeing some of the dancers there, reminded me of a guy who thought he was the greatest dancer in Edinburgh. He used to do the same little walk come dance all the time and always on his own. His name was James B*****, anyone remember that dance :lol:

joe.gausden

Are you a cousin of Joe, Zander, Stuart etc?

Punks No Deid

Golden Gates was a really good boozer when Larry (or Laurie) had it. Decent place to go to before games v The Vermin

Stuart Lyon

My dad took me to the Golden Gates for a celebratory pint after I passed my driving test! Don't think that would happen now.

Yup and they also used the 'Old Salt' and 'Neighbours' which was on the corner of McDonald Road and Hopetoun Crescent which is now a Co-op

Neighbours was a decent boozer in its day when Sarah ran it.

Say What Again

I used to collect the beer vouchers my old boy gave me, from the Golden Gates. 

'Go get them yirsel' from the cellar, then off down the road with a case of Export and a case of Castaway :lol:

luckyBatistuta

Neighbours was a decent boozer in its day when Sarah ran it.

Can't actually remember much about the place even though I was drinking in it loads of times :lol:

crunchy frog

Are you a cousin of Joe, Zander, Stuart etc?

Stuart aye. I think the others may be second cousins

PsychocAndy

I might have been thinking of the Ferryboat?

Rinty and Sheba were the 2 when May and Kenny had it.

I used to walk them during diner time at Craigie.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

PsychocAndy

Not a pub but...coasters/Outerlimits remember that place? the guy with the white shirt and the dodgy tash thinking he's cool lol, I remember I used to get lucky in there :tiny:

Alton Towers, paid to get in but the rides were free.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

John Findlay

Golden Gates was a really good boozer when Larry (or Laurie) had it. Decent place to go to before games v The Vermin

Christopher Berra's dad's watering hole when it was open.

Punks No Deid

Larry who ran The Golden Gates as he was known in Edinburgh was Laurie in his home village. He worked with my grampa n when I lived in Bingham I went in a few times. He always made sure my first pint was on the house, proper gentleman n old school landlord

Archived