Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

Boaby Prentice

Was having a conversation today with the folk at work about pubs some of us attended in by gone days and came up with a few that were good for differing reasons.

The Tap O'Lauritson (sp)

Jassie's Bar

Fiddlers Arms

The Lord Darnley

The Regal

The Blue Lagoon

Ah the old days when beer was good and neds stayed in their schemes

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller Jambo 60
Was having a conversation today with the folk at work about pubs some of us attended in by gone days and came up with a few that were good for differing reasons.

The Tap O'Lauritson (sp)

Jassie's Bar

Fiddlers Arms

The Lord Darnley

The Regal

The Blue Lagoon

Ah the old days when beer was good and neds stayed in their schemes

Olivers, Rose Street, loads of tottie friday and sat in the 80s.

Boaby Prentice
the old man used to take me to buggys in dalry, packet of crisps and a juice and dumped in the corner for hours.

Eric Brown's anyone?

Jam Tarts 1874

Blue Lagoon after the game was always worthwhile, particularly mid-80's when Kidd, Jardine, Bowman etc would reguarly be in there at some point in the evening.

Major Browns, The Burnt Post and the Lord Darnley, with maybe Pipers, Oscars or Bobby McGee's for the dancing later.

The Clock Inn - Dalry Road

Never in the place but heard it was a mental boozer.

Was a total sit house, populated by some real jake balls.

Boaby Prentice
The Clock Inn - Dalry Road

Never in the place but heard it was a mental boozer.

Pub with even less windows than the Tap

The Fiddlers, many a happy afternoon getting ratted. Really good pint.

The Diggers, before it went into free fall, possibly the finest pint of McEwans 80 shilling ever poured.

Ollies on Rose St, when Davie Clunie ran the shop. Magic, if a little hazy memories.

The Chain Peir down at Newhaven.

The Southsider. Sold a trully excellent pint of Maclays.

Clarks bar on Dundas St. Don't know if its still open.

Finally my favourite, (though I haven't been in so often lately) city centre hideaway. The Oxford on Young St. Despite many days, and weeks of hunting my boss could never find me. :th_o:

My local was the Snuff Box,long gone now.Had my first pint in the Fortunes Tavern on the same street,now that was a complete dive full of jakes,irish and salvation army punters

Say What Again
My local was the Snuff Box,long gone now.

My old man and his mates were regulars in the Snuffy too, but it closed shortly before I was old enough to get served. Had my first pint just up Bulls Close from the Snuffy in the Jenny Has.

Jukebox in Bentley's (across from King's Theatre) was a cracker in the early 80s.

Also fond memories of Sneeky Pete's (Cowgate-ish), Mackay's Centre Spot, Brunt Post.

Does anyone remember the name of the place that used to be on Fountainbridge, possibly where Fingertips was in the mid-late 80's ?

I had my first ever pint in there aged 14.

Boaby Prentice
Does anyone remember the name of the place that used to be on Fountainbridge, possibly where Fingertips was in the mid-late 80's ?

I had my first ever pint in there aged 14.

That'll be the Fountain Bar

That'll be the Fountain Bar

It was further along from the Vietnam towards Tollcross.

About where Fingertips was.

My old man and his mates were regulars in the Snuffy too, but it closed shortly before I was old enough to get served. Had my first pint just up Bulls Close from the Snuffy in the Jenny Has.

Is your old man a Hearts fan?Not that many who drank in the Snuffy were,most of my mates are hobos,it was a good time to start drinking though they hardly ever came back to the boozer after the Derbys what with the 17 21 games stretches . Used to go up Bulls Close every day to school when i was wee,Milton Hoose. FTH

Boaby Prentice
It was further along from the Vietnam towards Tollcross.

About where Fingertips was.

From the bingo you had, The Horseshoe, The Tartan Club, The Fountain, Fingertips, Dundee Arms. Can't think of another.

Say What Again
Is your old man a Hearts fan?Not that many who drank in the Snuffy were,most of my mates are hobos,it was a good time to start drinking though they hardly ever came back to the boozer after the Derbys what with the 17 21 games stretches . Used to go up Bulls Close every day to school when i was wee,Milton Hoose. FTH

My old man is indeed a Jambo, but the crowd of mates was probably split more in Hibs favour.

He also went to Milton House, as did I, though it changed to Royal Mile while I was there in about primary 3.

From the bingo you had, The Horseshoe, The Tartan Club, The Fountain, Fingertips, Dundee Arms. Can't think of another.

It was dieing on its arse when I was in.

Probably the only reason we got served.

Boaby Prentice

Stayed in Tollcross in my early days, I only ever went in twice, both times me and whoever I was with were the only ones in apart from the barman.

If I remember was a big guy about 7ft tall, or maybe I was just young and impressionable!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Loved the Pressie Hall back in the day.

Pubs long gone or ruined by the breweries that I enjoyed:

• Oblomov's on the Mound (whitewashed beyond repair)
  • The Pear Tree
  • Green Tree in the Cowgate (brilliant beer garden for a game of Doms and a jazz cigarette of a sunny sunday afternoon), knocked down to make way for an identikit alco pops bar. The whole bar going silent for The Simpson's on a Sunday night was quality!!
  • Bianco's (about 24 years ago!)
  • Oddfellows (don't know if its still there)
  • Sneaky Pete's (again back in the day)
  • La Belle Angele
  • The Mish
  • Carlton Studios

this_is_my_story
The Preservation Halls

Was going to mention that place, that's where I had my first underage pint!

Jeez, it was a cheap night in those days... around four pints = properly hammered, up on the tables singing... :o

The Gylemuir Inn, too, was a haunt for a fair few not-yet-eighteen jars. :2thumbsup:

Say What Again
Oddfellows (don't know if its still there)

Pretty sure it's still there but not sure what as. It changed to Bar Oz, and Aussie theme bar for quite a while.

By Aussie theme bar I mean they stuck a couple of posters up and had a toy Koala and hat with corks on it behind the bar.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

What was Rutland No1 called before it was The Rutland?

We used to get the 16 in from Broxburn as you could get a pint of cider with a plate of chips in there as an underager

Toxteth O'Grady

Port Hamilton Tavern?

That was next to the bingo though

Boaby Prentice
Port Hamilton Tavern?

Yeah the Horseshoe was opposite where the COOP is now.

The Highwayman in the old bus station...........did my underage drinking in there!!

Yeah, me too. Also The Travellers Tryst at the other end of the bus station. Leeries Lamplighter Bar was another favourite back then and anyone remember Refreshers in either Frederick or Hanover Street.

Say What Again
Port Hamilton Tavern?

Was in that place a couple of times, it was tiny.

Toxteth O'Grady

A bit oot of toon but, The Glenburn (I once saw Frank Carson and female mud wrestling there) and the Marchbanks Hotel were good for a Sunday afternoon.

Also The Wheatsheaf R.I.P.:57:

some growling boozers there folks but i will throw in another couple.

remember lord toms / the barracuda in lothian road? total scheme gang hut.

going back further... anyone remember the fleapit in rose street called the cotters?

Stayed in Tollcross in my early days, I only ever went in twice, both times me and whoever I was with were the only ones in apart from the barman.

If I remember was a big guy about 7ft tall, or maybe I was just young and impressionable!

When I was in it was being run by 2 women.

They knew we were underage and told us to go and sit in the corner so nobody could see us :laugh:

Ma Scott's - Rose Stret

Ensign Ewart - Lawnmarket

Blue Blazer - Bread Street

Bungalow Bar - Northumberland Street

Oxford Bar - Oxford Street

Yeaman Bar - Yeaman Place

Moat Bar - Slateford Road

All fondly remembered from my earlier years, and all served a good pint.

My old man is indeed a Jambo, but the crowd of mates was probably split more in Hibs favour.

He also went to Milton House, as did I, though it changed to Royal Mile while I was there in about primary 3.

i would probably know your dad, i was brought up in Dumbiedykes,loads of hobos.After the Snuffy shut most folk went to the White Horse or the Tolbooth.

The Fiddlers, many a happy afternoon getting ratted. Really good pint.

The Diggers, before it went into free fall, possibly the finest pint of McEwans 80 shilling ever poured.

Ollies on Rose St, when Davie Clunie ran the shop. Magic, if a little hazy memories.

The Chain Peir down at Newhaven.

The Southsider. Sold a trully excellent pint of Maclays.

Clarks bar on Dundas St. Don't know if its still open.

Finally my favourite, (though I haven't been in so often lately) city centre hideaway. The Oxford on Young St. Despite many days, and weeks of hunting my boss could never find me. :th_o:

The fire escape in my office used to back onto the lane across the road. Many a Friday afternoon i spent having a couple of pints on company time after slipping out the door.

Christ, what was the boy who ran the place called? Eric? Heard he passed away a few years back.

this_is_my_story
Swiss Cottage - how did I forget about that place?

Was that what the Gylemuir Inn used to be called?

Boaby Prentice
Was that what the Gylemuir Inn used to be called?

Probably - can't remember too much about those days.

Archived