Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

Can't believe that no one that drinks in Corstorphine has mentioned Westburys...epic pub if you wanted a knife in between the shoulder blades :th_o:

Aye' date='there was many a good pagger in there at the weekend[/quote']

I remember that my brother had a couple of nice pictures on the wall of his flat that came out of Westbuy's one fine night.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doctor FinnBarr

Its strange, even tho I'm 20 miles outside I've drunk in most of these pubs at some point in my life!

To anyone from the old Blackburn and Whitburn bus, I give you the Almond Inn.

:smiley2:

The Bay Horse had the smallest pool room ever - they had a special short cue for those awkward shots.

A suggestion for the pub with the wildcat (from another website) is Fairleys apparently where Gullianos on the shore is now

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_leith_wild_cat.htm

Was it not called the Merrymaker. Seem to recall it from my days working in Maritime street where there was a pub called the dirty windaes.

I remember that my brother had a couple of nice pictures on the wall of his flat that came out of Westbuy's one fine night.

....and now he's driving taxis, robbing passengers instead of publicans !

:10900:

Some of my contemporaries may recall the Clachan and The Fair Exchange as must watering holes on the way to the Palais.

Was it not called the Merrymaker. Seem to recall it from my days working in Maritime street where there was a pub called the dirty windaes.

Dirty Windaes was in Queen Charlotte Street wasn't it ?

Your right ---just round the corner from Maritime Strret

On the other side on the way to the Shore. Not sure what that street is called.

Your right ---just round the corner from Maritime Strret

Thought so, but after years of drinking to excess in many of these different pubs, the memory does start to go a bit :thumb:

Before it was Oddfellows that joint was a Boutique/ 2nd Hand record shop. Pretty sure I bought my first Devo album there.

Ezy-Rider in Greyfriars Market,used to be Hare Krishnas up the stair in the 70's

I was looking at the changes to pubs re another thread, and realised just how much has changed. For West Edinburgh (roughly Corstorphine, Clermiston, Barnton, Maybury, Parkgrove, and East Craigs) almost two thirds of the pubs have closed down. I don't imagine this part of Edinburgh is unique, so Edinburgh must be losing a massive number of different types of pub at an alarming rate.

Foxcovert - closed

Pig & Thistle - closed

Struan - closing ?

Dorlin - closed

Maybury - closed

Barnton - closed

Fountain - closed

Harp - closed

Rainbow - closed

All that's left are...

Clerrie

Corrie

Cenny

Mid

Winstons

Two thirds closed down since the eighties, not a cheery thought.

:sad::cheers:

Cairneyhill Jambo
The Preservation Halls

Sweet jesus.

That brings back memories. Couldn't tell you where it was but always ended up there pished on a friday night. Pretty sure that it was a student haunt with big wooden benches and tables.

Physician and Firkin opposite the commonwealth pool.

And gone but not forgotten, The Unicorn in Linlithgow. Good Jambo pub.

Also the Red Lion in Linlithgow. Mega pool hall and great jukebox.

I was in the Football and Cricketers in linlithgow a couple of weeks ago and Big Alex Gardner was still behind the bar. Been about 20 years since I've been there and he's still working there. Linlithgow Rose legend. Scored the winning goal in the Junior Cup Final in 1965 aged about 19. Well before my time I may add.

lizzie brice in dedridge

:smiley2: First one I recognise, apart from perhaps The Highwayman at the bus station if it's the one I'm thinking of popped in their loads before the bus home on a Saturday pre the rail link west. Was frequented by "patriotic" boneheads a lot of the time though.

Anyway, I'll throw in The Star at Armadale Cross, aka the flying tumbler.

Doctor FinnBarr
:smiley2: First one I recognise, apart from perhaps The Highwayman at the bus station if it's the one I'm thinking of popped in their loads before the bus home on a Saturday pre the rail link west. Was frequented by "patriotic" boneheads a lot of the time though.

Anyway, I'll throw in The Star at Armadale Cross, aka the flying tumbler.

Think that now is officially the Rankers club!

:th_o:

The Westfield

Not a bad pub in the past, even if it became a bit of a dive towards the end of it's existence. Can't see it reopening in the current economic climate, so the site will probably be redeveloped, and it'll be yet another pub lost forever.

Think that now is officially the Rankers club!

:th_o:

No mate it's flats now, the Rangers club is over the road although it's shut now as well :smiley2:

Doctor FinnBarr
The Westfield

Not a bad pub in the past, even if it became a bot of a dive towards the end of it's existence. Can't see it reopening in the current economic climate, so the site will probably be redeveloped, and it'll be yet another pub lost for ever.

Shame, I thought it was great in there, and they'd always turn on the karaoke for my daughter after the game.

:2thumbsup:

Fire Island and the Laughing Duck and i never drank in either of them, honest.

You forgot the hobo favourite up town bar Blue Oyster Bar

Shame, I thought it was great in there, and they'd always turn on the karaoke for my daughter after the game.

:2thumbsup:

No one else could get on when she was there :10900:

Bannisters (next to Leisureland) burnt down

Candlemakers Arms

Royal Archer

Tron Tavern

A mate when I was a a kids old man ran the Candlemakers. Had some great stories about all the Irish lads that worked there. He use to take his doberman into work just in case it all kicked off.

PontiusPilate

Pop Inn

Royal Hotel Portobello

Mr Q's Rose Street

The Abercorn

White House

Centre Spot Gary Mackays old boozer

terrible_groaning_noise

We came from darkest Fife (bentleys and Jackie o's) to the big city in the 80's to go to Valentinos in Bread St, went to Nyjinskis at Tollcross I seem to remember.Anyway, arrives at said club approx 9.00 shirt tie and side pattern haircut, regulars came in at 11:30 dungarees and whistles (Q spare ******s watchin the Jam on the big screen for two hours|)

The Westfield

Not a bad pub in the past, even if it became a bit of a dive towards the end of it's existence. Can't see it reopening in the current economic climate, so the site will probably be redeveloped, and it'll be yet another pub lost forever.

I remember when the Westfield was Corstorphines big department/hardware store. Can't remember the name of it, but it was a very big shop.

....and now he's driving taxis, robbing passengers instead of publicans !

:10900:

.. but the wisdom he imparts on the clientele will be priceless. You can't buy what he knows.

I remember when the Westfield was Corstorphines big department/hardware store. Can't remember the name of it, but it was a very big shop.

You mean the Westbury, prior to being the Westbury it was a shopping centre with a number of smaller shops including a travel agent run by a great Hearts fan.

I remember he put on a few air flights to early European games.

Before that your right it was an ironmongers, but i cant remember the name either.

Probably a lot of theme pubs in there that had maybe been converted from shops around the 70s and were maybe destined to disappear just as fast having 'had their day' as it were

However it's sad to see the number of more 'established' pubs that are now closing down :43:

You mean the Westbury, prior to being the Westbury it was a shopping centre with a number of smaller shops including a travel agent run by a great Hearts fan.

Before that your right it was an ironmongers, but i cant remember the name either.

You still got those pictures? :10900:

Sorry to be pedantic but the pub at Duddingston is the Sheep Heid not the Sheep's Heid according to the pavement board they have out.

The Morrison Park in Morrison Street was previously called the Ladyfield.

Bissett's Bar now Thomson's in Morrison Street

Between these two was the Barley Bree

Sorry to be pedantic but the Morrison Park was between The Barley Bree and Bissett's

I used to frequent The Gunner as a boy, then moved to Corstrophine area. Jimmy O bought me a pint too, a good laugh.

The Willie Muir was a great place to go if you wanted to right off your car.

Had a good few sessions in the Gauntlet before I was legally able to then pick and choose where I drank.

The Morrison Park was great, until I got barred, The Regal was great, then the Centre Spot was great until I got barred.

The Barley was the best because I never got barred from there.

Sometimes we would just take a wander round, going to The Horseshoe, Porters, the corner of Pontin St, that is a restaurant now, then The Clachan, met the good lady there, she was walking passed the pub when my mate, her cousin, called her in, then the bold BigAndyK made his move. I want to kill him sometimes for that.

Then down Lothian Road, by this time i couldn't tell you my name never mind the name of the pubs, then into Rumours. I knew a lot of the Bouncers then:2thumbsup:.

Boaby Prentice
Sweet jesus.

That brings back memories. Couldn't tell you where it was but always ended up there pished on a friday night. Pretty sure that it was a student haunt with big wooden benches and tables.

Victoria Street now Finnigan's

Victoria Street now Finnigan's

Was it not the 'burnt post' ?

..........well it's the burnt something or other now anyway :th_o:

I'll get ma coat :curtain:

It was called "The Villiage" when it was the indoor market, and I went to Paris in 84 with the Travel Agent you're refering to. Before that it was a carpet shop called Coaltarts (sp?) if I remember right.

It was called "The Villiage" when it was the indoor market, and I went to Paris in 84 with the Travel Agent you're refering to. Before that it was a carpet shop called Coaltarts (sp?) if I remember right.

Coal tart?

I thought that was a bird from Newtongrange?

It was Coltarts, they had a shop on Leith Walk as well that became the Golden Lion pub.

Before it was Oddfellows that joint was a Boutique/ 2nd Hand record shop. Pretty sure I bought my first Devo album there.

yep can remember my dad taking me in there when i was about 9 or 10 round about 79/80 and getting some bootleg tapes on a saturday morning, but im sure it was just called oddfellows hall..there again i was 9 what the hell do i know :smiley2:

Fire Island and the Laughing Duck and i never drank in either of them, honest.

i'll get shot to pieces for this, but what the hell...Fire Island is still to this day one for the best clubs i have ever been in, it was safe, no fights, great music(for its day)...went in with my then girlfriend and some friends when we were about 17/18...cracking atmoshere

Hamilton Lodge, Seabeach, Sands all good Porty pubs.

Was the Seabeach at the bottom of Bellfield Street? If not... can you remember the name of that bar?

BigAndyK - I stand corrected re the position of the Barley Bree.

The pub opposite the Clachan that is now an Italian restaurant was the Market Bar if I remember.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Your only sayin that cause your obviuosly full of the brave juice eh?:10900:

Aye mate.... Orange water, no ice. :smiley2: not forgetting the erect pinkie whilst supping.:2thumbsup:

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
If you mean the old "firey" Phoenix in Broughton Street - it's still there, without the go-go dancers though. :43:

The Cabin, different name, same clientelle, but now with added shotgun killings!

The Captains Cabin was a marvelous pub, the reputation it had was well OTT although some of the clients in there were real hardmen not like the bully boys you get now a days, these guys would only fight if they had to, none of this "did you spill my pint" **** or what are looking at.

Great bus from 1986 to 1994ish

Sorry to be pedantic but the pub at Duddingston is the Sheep Heid not the Sheep's Heid according to the pavement board they have out.

The Morrison Park in Morrison Street was previously called the Ladyfield.

Bissett's Bar now Thomson's in Morrison Street

Between these two was the Barley Bree

Sorry to be pedantic but the Morrison Park was between The Barley Bree and Bissett's

I used to frequent The Gunner as a boy' date=' then moved to Corstrophine area. Jimmy O bought me a pint too, a good laugh.

The Willie Muir was a great place to go if you wanted to right off your car.

Had a good few sessions in the Gauntlet before I was legally able to then pick and choose where I drank.

The Morrison Park was great, until I got barred, The Regal was great, then the Centre Spot was great until I got barred.

The Barley was the best because I never got barred from there.

Sometimes we would just take a wander round, going to The Horseshoe, Porters, the corner of Pontin St, that is a restaurant now, then The Clachan, met the good lady there, she was walking passed the pub when my mate, her cousin, called her in, then the bold BigAndyK made his move. I want to kill him sometimes for that.

Then down Lothian Road, by this time i couldn't tell you my name never mind the name of the pubs, then into Rumours. I knew a lot of the Bouncers then:2thumbsup:.[/quote']

Big AndyK,dyou go to Craigie?And sometimes on the Drylaw bus?

Say What Again
My haunts - the Bay Horse in Henderson Street was my first regular drinking haunt.

The Bay Horse was always useful for a couple of pints and a game of pool after signing on.

The Bay Horse had the smallest pool room ever - they had a special short cue for those awkward shots.

Did that become Gillises then Andersons?

My mate stayed in Henderson Street years ago and Gillises had a tiny wee pool room through the back.

Did that become Gillises then Andersons?

My mate stayed in Henderson Street years ago and Gillises had a tiny wee pool room through the back.

No, the Bay Horse is further down towards the shore. Gillies's was up at yardheads. I spent many a friday afternoon in there when i worked in Leith.

Say What Again
No, the Bay Horse is further down towards the shore. Gillies's was up at yardheads. I spent many a friday afternoon in there when i worked in Leith.

Ah right, I know where you are.

Anyone remember the Leamington Hotel at the top of Lemmy terrace? Room for about 20 people. I think they converted it into flats.

Now that I think about it, it was gash.

Boaby Prentice
Anyone remember the Leamington Hotel at the top of Lemmy terrace? Room for about 20 people. I think they converted it into flats.

Now that I think about it, it was gash.

Yeah, run by an ex gollie - Ronnie something.

MacDonald Jardine
Was the Seabeach at the bottom of Bellfield Street? If not... can you remember the name of that bar?

That was the Hamilton Lodge.

Glamorgan Jambo

Fairly sure the shop you're thinking of was Dingwalls.

Great thread. I've been in 90% of the pubs mentioned. A bit shocked the Harp's no more.

My in laws are from Leith and most of the divey type pubs I remember from years gone by are all still there except, perhaps for the Golden Lion and the Old salt.

PS Can someone remind me where Preservation Hall was. Im 99% sure I've been in there on a number of occasions but can't picture the place. Cheers

Archived