• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller Jambo 60
Another couple from Corstorphine....

The Dorlin

and

The Harp

Aye the Dorlin good for a sunday drink and then the Post House.

What was that wee pub in Bread Street , lucky if it held 10 people.

Doug.

What was that wee pub in Bread Street , lucky if it held 10 people.

Tipplers run by a woman who claimed to be Royality in africa.

The Mighty Thor

The Travellers Tryst? now there's a blast fi the past.

Used to drink in there before home games around 84/85/86 as we got served nae problem. IIRC there was a really pretty blonde girl that worked behind the bar but i'm buggered if i can remember her name.

Used to do the Burnt Post, Lord Toms etc of a Sat night as well.

Lived in Granton in those days and we'd drink in the Wardie Hotel or the Granton Tap or occasionally in the Anchor Inn.

The Anchor was like the Willie Muir. Totally RAF. :th_o:

The Beau Brummel on Hanover Street was a bit of a haunt from my Scottish Life days and across the road was The Marie Rose (now Jeckyll & Hyde). Great boozer that never seemed to shut - even on a Tuesday night.

My first illicit beer at 15/16 or there-abouts was in the upstairs bar of the Rutland Hotel, round about 1971. After a scotland/England rugby International IIRC

Its been downhill eversince.........

Aye the Dorlin good for a sunday drink....

I think Sundays, and functions, were the only times there were folk in the Dorlin !

The only place that on a Sunday afternoon could unite all the ****heads from the Rainbow, the Mid, the Cenny, the Harp, and the Oak !

:toasting::10900::toasting:

Anyone ever frequent the Green Tree in the Cowgate? Wee place built like a tank-trap, sold real ales before anywhere else that I was aware of. It was kind of my cult pub when I first started drinking - a place for quiet contemplation of the ...interesting... clientele rather than mass consumption.

Anyone ever frequent the Green Tree in the Cowgate? Wee place built like a tank-trap, sold real ales before anywhere else that I was aware of. It was kind of my cult pub when I first started drinking - a place for quiet contemplation of the ...interesting... clientele rather than mass consumption.

used to drink there defore crossing the street to evol, where it was 3-1 on females to guys, the odds that worked in my favour for a winch or more

Miller Jambo 60
I think Sundays, and functions, were the only times there were folk in the Dorlin !

The only place that on a Sunday afternoon could unite all the ****heads from the Rainbow, the Mid, the Cenny, the Harp, and the Oak !

:toasting::10900::toasting:

Have we mentioned the Struan opposite the Post House.

Remember the fountain,was at an 18th there ,probs the 1st and last time.

Worst boozer in the Corrie area must be the Carrick knowe, boring shop.

Was a corrie inn man at 18 , and remember getting free drink off Jimmy Orouke .

But my fav pubs were the Harp and Oak.

Doug.

Which reminds me of a nice wee pub just around the corner up that one-way street leading to Grassmarket. Can't think of its name...

Tipplers run by a woman who claimed to be Royality in africa.

Ahhhhh...thanks NoG. Couldn't even remember the name of the street :D

Doug.

The post house and the struan were my under age drinking places when I worked in the zoo

PontiusPilate
My local was the Snuff Box,long gone now.Had my first pint in the Fortunes Tavern on the same street,now that was a complete dive full of jakes,irish and salvation army punters

As a kid I used to get the old dart boards out the snuff box, never had a pint in it though.

Spent many an evening in the darkness that was Leerie's on Dublin Street...not to mention the odd night in the Traveller's Tryst.

Spent many an evening in the darkness that was Leerie's on Dublin Street...not to mention the odd night in the Traveller's Tryst.

I met a girl in there and ended up living with her for 5 years.

I don't blame the darkness though as she as still quite attractive the morning after I met her.

The Green Mantle...still there? Clerk Street-ish

The Grapes further out the road...not much to recommend it, if my memory serves me correctly.

The post house and the struan were my under age drinking places when I worked in the zoo

The Struan is still on the go, but from the outside at least it's looking a bit tired, and the "For Sale" sign's been up for quite a while, so I guess it won't be arround much longer.

:sad:

I met a girl in there and ended up living with her for 5 years.

I don't blame the darkness though as she as still quite attractive the morning after I met her.

You met a girl in Leerie's? :hat2:

the place down the stairs was l'attache used to work at the caley, many a happy drunk mid-week night spent in there

A'attache. Went in there one night to clean the blood off my face after getting KO'd in Shandwick Place Friday night before Xmas circa early nineties. I could tell it was bad as the bouncer looked concerned. Work lunch and carry-oot/afternoon drinking in the cooncil office til late leads to trouble ... pour moi anyway.

Spent the entire match the next day up, at McDiarmid, picking dried blood oot ma hooter - quite pleasureable in a ooh, ooh kinda way.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Can someone refresh my memory about The Burnt Post please. I'm damned if I can remember where it was. Ta.

The same pub the Hibs mob are coming from, Hearts are in Morrison's.

Bomber Harris' Best Mate

Doug.

The Carrick Knowe is and never will be in "the corrie" area despite it just being down the road from the REAL AND THE ONE AND ONLY Corstorphine pub IE The Corrie Inn :hat2: all the other ones you mention are just wannabe's as previously mentioned... The Oak ? what history has that pub got ?:stuart: full of ******wits !:curtain:

gogsfaesydney
the old man used to take me to buggys in dalry, packet of crisps and a juice and dumped in the corner for hours.

John Glasgow stayed with me for a while when he owned it, or his missus Joy depending who you believed. Used to have some wild times in there before coming to Oz

gogsfaesydney
My pal always talks of a pub in Edinburgh that had a tiger in a cage? Is this true?

I think it was the Coburg bar in Coburg St and I'm sure it was a puma or apanther is/was a right blue nose pub if I remember rightly they had a big mural King Billy on his white horse

Jimmy McNulty

Used to frequent Smugglers that was opposite Bannerman's. Think it is called something else now (we were wanky students at the time). Our local was the Southsider. Great steak pies....

Magic thread this.

The Seahaven (Joppa)

Jenny Ha's (Cannongate)

The Golden Gates (Meadowbank)

I used to drink in the Seahaven in my school uniform. The barman would ask if we were old enough to drink and he we would say aye... in which he would reply... fair enough then pull us a pint.

portobellojambo1
I think it was the Coburg bar in Coburg St and I'm sure it was a puma or apanther is/was a right blue nose pub if I remember rightly they had a big mural King Billy on his white horse

I drank in the Coburg for years, occasionally worked the bar as well, and I have no recollection of such an artefact being in the pub (i.e. an animal in a cage).

Miller Jambo 60
The Carrick Knowe is and never will be in "the corrie" area despite it just being down the road from the REAL AND THE ONE AND ONLY Corstorphine pub IE The Corrie Inn :hat2: all the other ones you mention are just wannabe's as previously mentioned... The Oak ? what history has that pub got ?:stuart: full of ******wits !:curtain:

The corrie inn was a great shop and very busy.

When i was about 19 helped out in Corstorphine school that had a disco every Sat for youths.

The helpers took shifts of going for a pint to the Inn.

Then to tarrys for a supper after.

Doug.

keith greenhill

Your only sayin that cause your obviuosly full of the brave juice eh?:10900:

The Galloping Major (latterly The Pub), The 37 Bar both on Rose Street, Oscars below the Rutland. Toni's cellar bar, Jess's Bar.................so many memories.

The pubs of my youth were The Kestrel and Johnsburn House in Balerno, worked in both for years and both are sadly now gone (JB still there as it is a Baronial mansion, just not open as a boozer anymore). Kestrel was flattened to make way for over priced houses with four inches between them.

Not the Coburg, this place was actually on the Shore on the opposite side to all the bars there now. A right rough shop filled with dockers, crooks and prostitutes.

My Dad worked behind the bar in the early 70's - I would "help" out as a kid to get the bar ready (memories of wet beer towls and dusty bottles of sweetheart stout) - I would have remembered a wild cat! So I agree with all those who say no!

My haunts - the Bay Horse in Henderson Street was my first regular drinking haunt.

My haunts - the Bay Horse in Henderson Street was my first regular drinking haunt.

The Bay Horse was always useful for a couple of pints and a game of pool after signing on.

Can't believe that no one that drinks in Corstorphine has mentioned Westburys...epic pub if you wanted a knife in between the shoulder blades :th_o:

Also stepping stones in the grassmarket was a pretty good wee pub but I think that was because it was one of the first pubs I got served in. Not even sure what it is now but I don't think it's a pub.

Can't believe that no one that drinks in Corstorphine has mentioned Westburys...epic pub if you wanted a knife in between the shoulder blades :th_o:

Aye,there was many a good pagger in there at the weekend

keith greenhill

Aye' date='there was many a good pagger in there at the weekend[/quote']

Aye and you were in them!:10900:

Suspect Device

Rob Roy was my old mans second house !! - used to love watching the paggers on a friday night from my bedroom window :curtain:

my own memories

the Wine Glass (my second home:2thumbsup:)

the Abbey

Minders

Corkers

Mr Mustards

Gatsbys

the Pub

Outer Limits:stuart:

Ciderellas(?1 a crowd anyone ?)

Century 2000(through the front doors, left turn and down into the bogs, then staight up the stairs without paying:smiley2:)

Miller Jambo 60
Rob Roy was my old mans second house !! - used to love watching the paggers on a friday night from my bedroom window :curtain:

my own memories

the Wine Glass (my second home:2thumbsup:)

the Abbey

Minders

Corkers

Mr Mustards

Gatsbys

the Pub

Outer Limits:stuart:

Ciderellas(?1 a crowd anyone ?)

Century 2000(through the front doors, left turn and down into the bogs, then staight up the stairs without paying:smiley2:)

Has Westwoods been mentioned yet, was in Haymarket.

Plenty nice tottie on a fri and sat.

Had a footie team for a while to.

The Bay Horse had the smallest pool room ever - they had a special short cue for those awkward shots.

A suggestion for the pub with the wildcat (from another website) is Fairleys apparently where Gullianos on the shore is now

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_leith_wild_cat.htm

That's it, it was called the Westward Ho when I started drinking round there. I never went in though as it looked a bit rough to say the least. And to stand out as a rough boozer round the Shore in those days was quite an achievement.

Jam Tarts 1874
lizzie brice in dedridge

Had a mate in Livi in the 80's, went with him to a few of the combined darts/pool flyers, great stuff.

Jam Tarts 1874
The Rat Trap

The Rob Roy

THe Phoenix

THe Captains Stabbin

The Lorna Doone

The Plevna

THe Trot Inn

If you mean the old "firey" Phoenix in Broughton Street - it's still there, without the go-go dancers though. :43:

The Cabin, different name, same clientelle, but now with added shotgun killings!

Not quite true..it was actually pitched at the previously un-tapped backpackers market, loosely based on a club run in london called 'the church'.

We(oops gave myself away there!) imported beers and spirits from Oz, NZ and SA whcih had previoly not been available for sale commercialy in scotland, such as Stein, castle and Tooheys this was in 96/97 long before this stuff became the norm.

it worked for about 6 months but in changing it to backpackers bar we actually started to lose out on the student hardcore after a while so the decsion was taken to revert back to a more mainstream bar.

When i was back last month i checked it out, it is still there but you can know see the bar from the street, the tunnel(which it was also briefly called) has been removed, i was told that its never busy now and dosent look like it will last much longer.

Before it was Oddfellows that joint was a Boutique/ 2nd Hand record shop. Pretty sure I bought my first Devo album there.

Archived