Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

Finsbury Park Sth St Andrew's Street

The Bluebell in Portobello

Lauries Lauriston Place

Good Jambo pub at one time ..............passed it last Saturday on the way back from Tynie - called The Brauhouse I think now :curtain:

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My pal always talks of a pub in Edinburgh that had a tiger in a cage? Is this true?

Seen a few dogs in pubs but never a tiger.

Good Jambo pub at one time ..............passed it last Saturday on the way back from Tynie - called The Brauhouse I think now :curtain:

Charlie was a Jambo but if I remember rightly his business partner Tam was a Hibee Charlie then bought Sandy Bells.

My pal always talks of a pub in Edinburgh that had a tiger in a cage? Is this true?

It wasn't a tiger, some other kind of big cat. It was in Leith near The Shore.

Allegedly.

portobellojambo1
St. Leonard's Street, I think.

Indeed it was, but it has been gone for a long, long time now.

Pub of my youth was the original Brunstane Bar, in the car park of the old Asda, right behind Brunstane School (handy when you lived in Magdalene and could just fall over the wall and you were home, near enough).

Pub of my youth was the original Brunstane Bar, in the car park of the old Asda, right behind Brunstane School (handy when you lived in Magdalene and could just fall over the wall and you were home, near enough).

Painted that back in 84 another one thats long gone Seabeach Hotel Portobello .Where Portobello Hearts had there weekly meeting think it was a monday night.

Boaby Prentice

Used to be run by an old dragon who would tell you tales of old - when she used to be the star of the show at the King's Theatre in the 5 to 8 show.

I was a regular at 16

Oh my god, how old am I?

My old haunts Wilkie house and buster browns and Pub I worked in in Penicuik the Complex :43:

He still drinks in the Tolbooth now.

That's were I'm heading in about half an hour!

He was brought up in Browns Close (I think) the close next to the Jenny Has, and then the Canongate. He went to Milton house then Jimmy Clarks.

Most of the boys he drank with in the Snuffy were from Dumbiedykes/Viewcraig. As well as drinking in the Snuffy he drank in Stewarts on Drummond Street. I think that's closed too.

Stewarts is the Brass Monkey good name for all the hobos who drank in there.i stayed in Viewcraig Gardens and must be a bit younger than your dad as i went to Boroughmuir ma dad went to Jimmys.

Johanes de Silentio

:curtain:

Commander Harris

it's not long gone but I really miss Bert's in Stockbridge, whoever bought that over really ****ed it up, driving the regulars away and putting up the prices. no wonder it was sold again not long after.

I'll sound like an old man here but used to love a wee pint of Deuchars and a game of chess in there.

Johanes de Silentio

Used to leave from Alan Anderson's Wheatshief pub in Dalkeith in the late '70s! :2thumbsup:

Pensionsers flats noo! :43:

Nice for the pensioners, mind!

Paddys Bar, Lothian Road early 80's

Tonys Eurodisco, Potterrow late 70's (early go-go dancing place)

Busters Browns, met this bird there at 1AM of a Monday morning in 1991 and we're still married :smiley2:

Not sure if these have already been mentioned...

Orwell Lodge (Polworth)

Fairmile Inn (Fairmilehead)

Both places very close to my heart :(

Goodmorningmrfisherman

Mr Mustards

Bull and bush

reflections

Americana.

Anyone remember electric circus on a sunday night around 86,?5 entry and 30p for any drink you wanted.

What a way to end a sunday.

Sorry to be pedantic but the pub at Duddingston is the Sheep Heid not the Sheep's Heid according to the pavement board they have out.

The Morrison Park in Morrison Street was previously called the Ladyfield.

Bissett's Bar now Thomson's in Morrison Street

Between these two was the Barley Bree

The Osbourne in Shandwick Place was a good boozer and the head barman was something else with his shaved head.

Valentines and the Covenanters in the High Street - I think one of them is a chippy now

Marr's Bar and the World in Thistle Street. The Beau Brummell Bar in Hanover St.

Raeburn House Hotel Stockbridge. The Grand bar now the Baillie

It was Paddy's in Lothian Road as opposed to Paddy's Bar which was in Rose Street

The Bull and Bush and Lord Tom's in Lothian Road

Sinclair's bar Regent Road a watering hole for games at Easter Road now a house.

It wasn't a tiger, some other kind of big cat. It was in Leith near The Shore.

Allegedly.

Wasn't it the same pub that, allegedly, had a black mannequin (with Hearts scarf round the neck) hanging from a noose?

To add to this honourable list, I would like to add A.J. Ramsays on Broughton Street. In a time before it was, ahem, purple.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Bensons in Dalry Road - think it's Maplins now - not sure if it was a pub or 'nightclub'?

My mate had his stag night in there years ago, fof used to own it.

Night ended in an almighty pagger when one of the Hand brothers that played for Murrayfield Racers (the younger one I think) bowled up with a few of his mates and upset a few people. Biggest bar fight I've ever seen.

heartgarfunkel

Brilliant, brilliant thread. It takes one through the whole gamut of Auld Reekian emotions. From Ma Brow's in Balerno to the Sands Hotel on the Riviera strip. From the Old Town authenticity of The Black Swan to the eighties opportunism of that 'fun' pub in Bernard Street (Hooters?). The laughter, the tears, the occasional successful tidy lesbian conversion. The bammers, the shops that allowed Jamaican cigarette consumption on the premises, all the great auld guys now gone. The dirty barmaids, the innocent yet somehow experienced foreign burds looking for the local knowledge. The unsolicited mental hoose party invites, the lock-ins, the whole pub set-too's, the psychotic door staff. From the sublime cask ales of Maclays, Belhaven and at one time, McEwans and Youngers, to the dross of Castlemaine XXXX and Skol on draught.

Edinburgh Boozers of the past I salute you! (medication enforced abstinence from the sauce and resulting mental anguish responsible for the above pish!)

Jam Tarts 1874
WOT A TREAD BY THE WAY , anybody mension The Scotsman in cockburn st, done a load o underage drinking in thr, luved the jukebox cos it hud Whiter shade o pale on it.

Another one that many years ago had go-go dancers in a lunchtime. I suppose now that they get tax credits the single mums don't have to do the dancing anymore.

Oh jings...that brings back a memory...

As a fresh-faced country boy I was in the B&H or Bridies or similar after a Hearts game one Saturday tea time.

Quietly sitting at a table with my back to the stage just spraffing about the game with a mate when the dancers were, errrr, 'dancing'. Anyhoo, one of them jumped down off the stage and next thing I knew there was her pap right in my face. Wish I'd had a bit more warning so I could've appreciated the moment a bit more :D

The Fountain at Barnton

No idea what it became, as the building's still there.

Worked there in 1978/79 and it has been offices for years now. Old favourite was the Wig and Pen on Cockburn street as a young punk.

My local was the Snuff Box,long gone now.Had my first pint in the Fortunes Tavern on the same street,now that was a complete dive full of jakes,irish and salvation army punters

Spent may a night in the snuffy as well, fortunes was a terrible place full of plastic paddies. I also used to go to the burnt post for a few as I knew the old man never went there, funny he always knew how many I had .

Gavsy Van Gaverson
The sighthill hotel,now there was a quality establishment.

"The Patio" as it was known was great. Started drinking in there at 16.

Say What Again
Can someone refresh my memory about The Burnt Post please. I'm damned if I can remember where it was. Ta.

Lothian Road, left hand side as you're heading toward tollcross from the West End. Just past Usher Hall.

I think :curtain:

Worked there in 1978/79 and it has been offices for years now.

Many arguments with folk who didn't remember/believe that The Fountain was ever even there !

With it closing (early to mid eighties, I think) and far more recently the demise of the Barnton Hotel, a big loss to the area.

Lothian Road, left hand side as your heading toward tollcross from the West End. Just past Usher Hall.

Cheers JoH , it all comes back to me now.

Lothian Road, left hand side as your heading toward tollcross from the West End. Just past Usher Hall.

I think slightly further up - nearer Tollcross. Just across from the cinema.

Which reminds me of a nice wee pub just around the corner up that one-way street leading to Grassmarket. Can't think of its name...

:laugh:

A girl in my work (a dyed blonde from Currie) married an Iraqi airline pilot she met in there in 1990.

They split after a month :biggrin:

Ater he got the passport,I bet.

Not sure if these have already been mentioned...

Orwell Lodge (Polworth)

Fairmile Inn (Fairmilehead)

Both places very close to my heart :(

You of course mean the 'The Hillburn'. :2thumbsup:

The Telecom Club at Chesser was the scene of many a T O'G pulling triumph

Thursday or Friday night was 'grab a granny' if my memory serves me right, fecking awful beer....

The sighthill hotel,now there was a quality establishment.

Back in the days when only hotels were open after 2.30pm on a Sunday, I was in the Sighthill bar and this wimmin came storming into the jam packed bar, went straight up to the middle of the bar where here husband was sitting, slammed the guy's sunday dinner on the bar with knife & fork and stormed out, there was a deathly silence as he just turned round and casually said to her, 'where is the feckin salt & pepper'. :10900:

Miller Jambo 60

Anyone remember Tonys Cellar bar near the old Royal.

Great pub lunch and Go Gos about 1980.

Remember an old boy getting his glasses removed by a dancers foot.

Quality.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I worked in the Western bar in the pubic triangle years ago.

I have a few stories from there

Maybe I shouldn't own up to this one, but enjoyed the odd lock in or two at Auld Pishy Pant's boozer, a real grot shop at Abbeyhill, but sensational sessions. Did my underage drinking in the Waverly, and the Cabin. :th_o:

J.T.F.Robertson
The Rat Trap

The Rob Roy

THe Phoenix

THe Captains Stabbin

The Lorna Doone

The Plevna

THe Trot Inn

Surgeon's Hall, maybe where Ladbroke's is now? When we were kids, I remember my mum and dad would go there, of a Saturday night.

I used to frequent the Lorna Doon, but cannie remember where it was.

The Sunday night disco, down at the Saxe Coburg Hotel, off Broughton Street/Road somewhere.

I feel a greet coming on.

Colonel Kurtz
Surgeon's Hall, maybe where Ladbroke's is now? When we were kids, I remember my mum and dad would go there, of a Saturday night.

I used to frequent the Lorna Doon, but cannie remember where it was.

The Sunday night disco, down at the Saxe Coburg Hotel, off Broughton Street/Road somewhere.

I feel a greet coming on.

Aye the pub where the legend of Maggie Raes drawers drying in the pie machine was born.

Lorna Doone was doon the high street where the Scandic Crown is now,full of punters from The Inch

I was Betty Hanleys favourite in theThe Rob Roy .

Malky Robertson used to run THe Gang Hut up the southside, and believe it or not Droothy Neighbours in another life didnt serve students and had signs up to that effect.

You needed to have a ***** uncle to drink in The White Hoose,but I used to get dropped of at Tynecastle by the St Teresas Tim bus when they were going to Glasgow

J.T.F.Robertson
Aye the pub where the legend of Maggie Raes drawers drying in the pie machine was born.

Lorna Doone was doon the high street where the Scandic Crown is now,full of punters from The Inch

I was Betty Hanleys favourite in theThe Rob Roy .

Malky Robertson used to run THe Gang Hut up the southside, and believe it or not Droothy Neighbours in another life didnt serve students and had signs up to that effect.

You needed to have a ***** uncle to drink in The White Hoose,but I used to get dropped of at Tynecastle by the St Teresas Tim bus when they were going to Glasgow

Ma heid's spinnin'. :10900:

alwaysthereinspirit

Great thread. Probably only 10 mentioned I haven't been in at least once. I think I may have had a drink problem at one time.

Archived