Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

F

My in laws are from Leith and most of the divey type pubs I remember from years gone by are all still there except, perhaps for the Golden Lion and the Old salt.

Most of them have gone now. Red Lion,Halfway House, Lorne, Caledonian, Golden Lion, The Crown etc. Still a few hanging on though.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the lizzie brice,the waverely,scotts bar - livingston.

mendlesons(spelling ?) - uphall.

the saugh tree, the crown, the athletic club - broxburn.

illicit still, is that still alive

palmers lothian road, 1st pub to have tv's showing music vids

reflections, painted like an ice cream shop

royal circus hotel, sunday afternoon disco, for all the amatuer fitba players

the white cockade, now knocked into part of milnes bar

champagne charlies, now tonic

the clock inn, ran the sighthill hearts bus, they were exciting journeys to a match

illicit still, is that still alive

reflections, painted like an ice cream shop

royal circus hotel, sunday afternoon disco, for all the amatuer fitba players

the white cockade, now nocked into part of milnes bar

champagne charlies, now tonic

the clock inn, ran the sighthill hearts bus, they were exciting journeys to a match

Before I saw this thread I was trying to remember the names of my old haunts in Edinburgh - quite a few on that list.

Laughing Duck (don't ask)

Beau Brummel

The boozer under the Beau Brummel (as was) - last time I was in the bar staff looked decidedly gay.

The Barony Bar - cracking bar which is also decidedly gay. Pah !!

The Conan Doyle

Illicit Still - Gary Mackay seemed to be there rather a lot.

Mathers at Broughton St (that's probably gay as well now I suppose). Great pint of London Pride.

Before I saw this thread I was trying to remember the names of my old haunts in Edinburgh - quite a few on that list.

Laughing Duck (don't ask)

Beau Brummel

The boozer under the Beau Brummel (as was) - last time I was in the bar staff looked decidedly gay.

The Barony Bar - cracking bar which is also decidedly gay. Pah !!

The Conan Doyle

Illicit Still - Gary Mackay seemed to be there rather a lot.

Mathers at Broughton St (that's probably gay as well now I suppose). Great pint of London Pride.

mathers is still the same... rough

the beau's now a disco kinda thing...and expensive

The Melville on William St was where the mighty Heriot-Watt football club used to gather after their latest defeat. I seem to remember it was always planned to move on once we were all gathered but more often than not we just stayed in the Melville all night.

Has it gone gay as well?

Also Chick Murrays.

Slightly OT. Does anyone remember Babars indian restaurant? It was opposite the Usher Hall then moved to Leven St. Best pakoras in the world there. Fact. End of. Everybody else can **** right off.

Big AndyK' date='dyou go to Craigie?And sometimes on the Drylaw bus?[/quote']

Yes and I was a junior member of the Drylaw Bus

The Melville on William St was where the mighty Heriot-Watt football club used to gather after their latest defeat. I seem to remember it was always planned to move on once we were all gathered but more often than not we just stayed in the Melville all night.

Has it gone gay as well?

Also Chick Murrays.

Slightly OT. Does anyone remember Babars indian restaurant? It was opposite the Usher Hall then moved to Leven St. Best pakoras in the world there. Fact. End of. Everybody else can **** right off.

the melvilles no gay in anyway, pretty much deid these days. west end hearts lot are in there sometimes.

the aquarius at the usher hall. had a phone on each table, you could phone any table and chat up the burds

I'm racking my brains. What was the pub on Gorgie Road towards Stenhouse? There was the Luckies at the big lights but it was the next one along, on the same side, opposite a big office building and there was a small car workshop behind it. It was a total dive.

Or maybe it was the Luckies? I can't remember ffs. Help!

I'm racking my brains. What was the pub on Gorgie Road towards Stenhouse? There was the Luckies at the big lights but it was the next one along, on the same side, opposite a big office building and there was a small car workshop behind it. It was a total dive.

Was that one not called Huggets

Was that one not called Huggets

Ya absolute ****in dancer! Thats the place. It was The Hugget. A total mingin dive but I lived above it for a year so any port in a storm.

The Laich

reaths7 I think it was the Cotters Howf that became part of Milne's. The white Cockade became the Rose Street Brewery which is still there.

The Laich used to be owned by Jackie McNamara Snr and Ralph Callaghan when we used it.

reaths7 I think it was the Cotters Howf that became part of Milne's. The white Cockade became the Rose Street Brewery which is still there.

The Laich used to be owned by Jackie McNamara Snr and Ralph Callaghan when we used it.

yeah, your right. realised after i'd posted but couldnae be bothered editing lol

after seeing the gogo thread i've thought of another one, the tankard, rose st the dancer in the cage in the corner, you could almost see here from outside through the partly frosted window.

PS Can someone remind me where Preservation Hall was. Im 99% sure I've been in there on a number of occasions but can't picture the place. Cheers

It was on Victoria Street just past the India buidings and next to the Bow Bar. I think it is now Finnegans Wake.

Was in one of the pubs in the pubic triangle about 6 p.m. one Saturday after a home game. Tiny wee pub on the other side from the old co-op. Anyway, the stripper was getting ready to go on and everyone started singing "Get your tits out for the boys" so she gets up on the stage and shouts "If ye's dinnae shut up ye'll no see **** all"!!! 2 minutes later some boy chucks a pint glass hard at the barman from no more than 5 feet away which miraculously misses him by skiffing the top of one of the beer taps en route to his face and shattering into smithereens!

Boaby Prentice
Was in one of the pubs in the pubic triangle about 6 p.m. one Saturday after a home game. Tiny wee pub on the other side from the old co-op. Anyway, the stripper was getting ready to go on and everyone started singing "Get your tits out for the boys" so she gets up on the stage and shouts "If ye's dinnae shut up ye'll no see **** all"!!! 2 minutes later some boy chucks a pint glass hard at the barman from no more than 5 feet away which miraculously misses him by skiffing the top of one of the beer taps en route to his face and shattering into smithereens!

That'll be the Western

Tipplers in Bread Street

Was in there about 1997 with a few workmates,after a few beers,we were blabbing away and was ignoring the 'dancer' when over she comes,fingers right into one of our vodka's,pulls out an ice cube,rubs her nipple with it then shoves it into the mouth of one the mate's!!He was speechless but we were ****ing ourselves laughing:10900:

Don't know if may here will remember this one - the Railway Inn that used to sit just about opposite the Cross Keys at Slateford road before the new bridge was built - must have closed in the late 1960's. Another one from the past was the pub that used to sit in Dalry Road just about where Sommerfieilds is now - I'm sure it was called Nisbets or Bissetts

Tipplers in Bread Street

Strayed into there one night, and the place was full of Welsh egg chasers. At one point, the bird clamber down off the windowsill, grabbed someone's specs, then proceeded to stick them somewhere the sun don't shine. A truly tremendous performance.

Sheriff Fatman

Reds further up Lothian Rd had a bank of tvs showing music videos at least a year before the Shakespear turned into Palmers.

That'll be the Western

Went there for my cousins 40th birthday and there was a "dancer" who had a lot of downstairs jewellery. That much that she reminded me of Sammy Burns' yard. Yuck.

That was the Hamilton Lodge.

Was the Seabeach at the bottom of Bellfield Street? If not... can you remember the name of that bar?

Pretty certain that was the Sands Hotel ... remember being there for a birthday bash when I was 14 ... watched Narey's famous toe-poke vs Brazil that day.

The Hamilton Lodge was off Brunstance Road North/Bedford Terrace/the Prom/cannae remember the street to the east.

7 Pages and not a mention of 6 Palmerston Place? Shame on you! (o.k. not a pub, but other venues have been mentioned).

Really my local for years. Then I reached 18.

I did see a mention of The Old Chain Pier. Tarted up to b?ggery now, I believe.

Who remembers Betty Moss?

bettymoss_1_thumb.jpg

I did see a mention of The Old Chain Pier. Tarted up to b?ggery now, I believe.

Who remembers Betty Moss?

A bit before my time but I've heard all the stories. Mad as a box of frogs.

just thought of a another one, the stewart house hotel just up from gilmore place, was only in it twice myself but it was my dads local for a good few years before it got sold for flat converstion

I remember the Stuart Hose Hotel in Merchiston Avenue where we used to go pre

-match until it closed. Moved on to the now shut Gillsland where the owner auld Douglas used to infuriate the staff by sweeping-up behind the bar while they were trying to cope with the rush of customers. Toasties there were legendary - especially the breakfast ones.

willie wallace

The Doocot or up to Davidson Mains for Muirhouse Arms,Ye Old Inn and the Norhet.Weekends was the Bandwagon,the Burnt Post and the Penthouse.The first four are still there although i think the Doocot is struggling a bit.

House O' Hill & The Doo'Cot when it was a pub.

Was the House O'Hill the pub down in the dip in Queensferry Road, on the North side, at Blackhall ?

Boaby Prentice

The Penthouse -Tollcross

The Rockin Horse now Espionage

Club 30 - Frederick Street

Jacksons - West Port

The Stage Door down from the Playhouse

The Kitchen - Cowgate

Yesterdays

The Weatsheif

I used to live in Watson Cres about 15 years ago. A few of us got hammered and then banned from a place called The Buffs club.very cheap drink. It was the only time I was the place. Does anyone remember it? Is it flats now ?

Going back to Wullie Ross in the Oxford Bar:

Toff comes in and asks for a pint of Lager and a packet of peanuts.

Wullie:

"lager is for poofs- and only monkeys and Englishmen eat peanuts - now **** off"

That's what I call customer service.

In the past for me, Garibaldis on Hanover Street.

Nowadays it is constantly heaving with students but I started going when I was only 16 and even on a Friday and Saturday it was busy but wasn't completely rammed. It seemed like the only people who knew about the place were guys and girls from our year and the year above us at St. Augustines. For about a year there was always at least a group of 20 or 30 of us in there on a Friday and Saturday night and just a handful of other people not connected to us.

Eventually, and inevitably, the police warned them for the amount of underage drinkers they let in the place so they hired a bouncer called Miguel - who then proceeded to let us all through without any valid form of ID. Then Miguel was cautioned by the police so he started to I.D. people, except from all of us 16 and 17 year olds because we were now his buddies and he would always refer to us as the 'Nasty Boys'.

Unfortunately the fun ended when Miguel left to go back to Mexico and they hired a Scottish bouncer who promptly I.D'd the lot of us and I've barely been back since.

Many arguments with folk who didn't remember/believe that The Fountain was ever even there !

With it closing (early to mid eighties, I think) and far more recently the demise of the Barnton Hotel, a big loss to the area.

Totally agree, that area needs a decent pub now.

Talk about spoiled for choice.

I am in equal walking distance for the following. Anchor Inn, Ferry Boat and the Gunner.

No wonder I seldom drink nowadays.

I am old enough to remember when big Dick ran the doocot and on a Saturday lunch-time you couldnt move in the bar as it was absolutely jam packed. Women were only allowed in the lounge or upstairs to the Bird's cage when there was a doo on.

John

Hillend Road House

Robins Nest

Canny Man

White Hoose

Duddingston Arms

Marischal Arms

Castle O Clouts

Jeannie Deans

Abbey Buffet

Clermiston Inn

Market Bar

And many others too numerous and fading in memory to mention

I P Knightley

Wullie:

"lager is for poofs- and only monkeys and Englishmen eat peanuts - now **** off"

That's what I call customer service.

I heard a similar story about wee bald Davie in the Diggers (early '80s).

Bloke asked for a lager/lager & lime/lager top & Davie said, "If you want a facny cocktail, you can **** off along to the Blue Lagoon."

Archived