Pubs from the past

Boaby Prentice

My old man and his mates were regulars in the Snuffy too, but it closed shortly before I was old enough to get served. Had my first pint just up Bulls Close from the Snuffy in the Jenny Has.

I'm sure my old man used to work in the Snuff Box.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again
i would probably know your dad, i was brought up in Dumbiedykes,loads of hobos.After the Snuffy shut most folk went to the White Horse or the Tolbooth.

He still drinks in the Tolbooth now.

That's were I'm heading in about half an hour!

He was brought up in Browns Close (I think) the close next to the Jenny Has, and then the Canongate. He went to Milton house then Jimmy Clarks.

Most of the boys he drank with in the Snuffy were from Dumbiedykes/Viewcraig. As well as drinking in the Snuffy he drank in Stewarts on Drummond Street. I think that's closed too.

Randle P McMurphy
some growling boozers there folks but i will throw in another couple.

remember lord toms / the barracuda in lothian road? total scheme gang hut.

going back further... anyone remember the fleapit in rose street called the cotters?

Cotters Houff

Randle P McMurphy

My early drinking days were the Granton Tap, Barnton Hotel and Chez Freds just off Castle Terrace. My first job was in castle Terrace and lunch hours were pretty much dedicated to touring the pubs between Lothian Road and the Grassmarket.

Fiddlers

A couple of gogo bars which I cant remember the name of anymore

Burnt Post

Lord Toms

Viceroy which became the Bull & Bush

Harveys

and loads of others which I can't remember anymore

For local drinking it was the Doocot, Mackenzies the Norhet or the Olde Inn

The fire escape in my office used to back onto the lane across the road. Many a Friday afternoon i spent having a couple of pints on company time after slipping out the door.

Christ, what was the boy who ran the place called? Eric? Heard he passed away a few years back.

Willie Ross ran the place when I first started drinking in there, up untill a couple of years ago it was John Gates (sadly he passed away just over a year ago). For a while John owned the Ox and the Green Tree in the Cowgate. He sold out to a real tosser, Ali something or other, and if memory serves me he also had the Clock Inn on Dalry Rd. This guy made a pigs ear of both. Eventually Bellhaven bought the Ox, and put Gatesy back as a manager. Harry Cullen is now the tenant.

The White Cockade

Mad Hatters

Bianco's

The Grosvenor

Rumours

What was the place at the West End near the Caledonian

was open till 4?

I think you went down stairs

HOBGOBLINS (got a good doin ootside there one night)

FRANCOS OFFICE BAR

THE HILLBURN (up at hillend)

BRIDIES (west port)

THE PENTHOUSE

TIPPLERS

Some great memories evoked from the names of some of these pubs. Also good fun working out which posters must be within a year or two age-wise, just from the pubs mentioned.

In my day the most popular place up town for underage drinking and the pursuit of a bag off was called Gatsbys, along towards the East end, just down from St. Andrew's Square.

alwaysthereinspirit
Was having a conversation today with the folk at work about pubs some of us attended in by gone days and came up with a few that were good for differing reasons.

The Tap O'Lauritson (sp)

Jassie's Bar

Fiddlers Arms

The Lord Darnley

The Regal

The Blue Lagoon

Ah the old days when beer was good and neds stayed in their schemes

Regal in the late 70's early 80's was awesome for lunch. Pie and fag ash tatties.

My local was the Gold Medal.

remember a few drinking bouts starting in the rose revived, first pub in rose street if your coming from the west end (prob 73/74 ish) the white cockade further along rose street, ha ha i remember a load of us trying to get in one friday night and it was rammed so the bouncers said we could only get in the "cocktail bar", was ordering up the lagers and seen the price 25p for a pint of lager, no chance of payin that, trooped round to the ivanhoe, 18p a pint in there.:10900:. happy days. it was a real b*****d staggering home in platform shoes.

Toxteth O'Grady

Christ, what was the boy who ran the place called? Eric?

Willie Ross

Grumpy old sod that hated Tourists, he had no interest in beer, sometimes you could ask for a particular type of beer and he'd just say, "You'll get what comes oot the tap"

What was Rutland No1 called before it was The Rutland?

We used to get the 16 in from Broxburn as you could get a pint of cider with a plate of chips in there as an underager

It was called Elliots

Used to be a favourite place to go to try to pick up lassies who'd been stood up at "the cattle market" that was the corner outside Binns. Elliots then became a mecca for underage drinkers, and seemed to keep getting away with it despit continually getting raided.

:cheers:

Does anyone remember the name of the place that used to be on Fountainbridge, possibly where Fingertips was in the mid-late 80's ?

I had my first ever pint in there aged 14.

It was called Toddy's Bar! Just outside and along from the Tartan club!

Some great memories evoked from the names of some of these pubs. Also good fun working out which posters must be within a year or two age-wise, just from the pubs mentioned.

In my day the most popular place up town for underage drinking and the pursuit of a bag off was called Gatsbys, along towards the East end, just down from St. Andrew's Square.

Was that the one that was open to 6am? Couldn't remember the name. If you couldn't pull in there then you should have been in the Blue Oyster Club. And then after that onto the The Red Lion in Leith Walk.

Probably - can't remember too much about those days.

It was originally called The Pig & Thistle, then it changed to The Swiss Cottage, then alternated between the The Gylemuir and The Gylepark before closing down.

loadsthat have been already including my local for 4 years betweent he age of 17-21 the Burnt Post, but havent seen The Pub II, in Rose St mentioned yet ....wonder why:2thumbsup:

Pretty sure it's still there but not sure what as. It changed to Bar Oz, and Aussie theme bar for quite a while.

By Aussie theme bar I mean they stuck a couple of posters up and had a toy Koala and hat with corks on it behind the bar.

Not quite true..it was actually pitched at the previously un-tapped backpackers market, loosely based on a club run in london called 'the church'.

We(oops gave myself away there!) imported beers and spirits from Oz, NZ and SA whcih had previoly not been available for sale commercialy in scotland, such as Stein, castle and Tooheys this was in 96/97 long before this stuff became the norm.

it worked for about 6 months but in changing it to backpackers bar we actually started to lose out on the student hardcore after a while so the decsion was taken to revert back to a more mainstream bar.

When i was back last month i checked it out, it is still there but you can know see the bar from the street, the tunnel(which it was also briefly called) has been removed, i was told that its never busy now and dosent look like it will last much longer.

Jam Tarts 1874
HOBGOBLINS (got a good doin ootside there one night)

FRANCOS OFFICE BAR

THE HILLBURN (up at hillend)

BRIDIES (west port)

THE PENTHOUSE

TIPPLERS

Ahh, the days when the discerning gentleman had a much wider choice of GoGo dancing emporiums.

[/b]

Ahh, the days when the discerning gentleman had a much wider choice of GoGo dancing emporiums.

With some truly stunningly ugly dancers.

remember lord toms / the barracuda in lothian road? total scheme gang hut.

Was a regular at Lord Toms got friendly with the staff and around 1-30 the ladies from the sauna arrived as Tommy owned it. Didnt like it when it went to Barracuda .Morrisons in Morrison street mid 90's was ok full of wannabes from Broomhouse good entertainment.Bridies with the non stop go go girls . A club on top of St James centre late 80's.and varios others around town .

Was a regular at Lord Toms got friendly with the staff and around 1-30 the ladies from the sauna arrived as Tommy owned it.

It used to be known as the Libyan Embassy as it was full of middle eastern students picking up slaggy blonde schemies.

It was called Toddy's Bar! Just outside and along from the Tartan club!

Thank feck someone remembered.

Its been bugging me for years.

94p for a pint of lager it was.

It used to be known as the Libyan Embassy as it was full of middle eastern students picking up slaggy blonde schemies.

Also popular with the Pat Butcher types looking for the Christian Nade in there life on route to the Mambo.

:laugh:

A girl in my work (a dyed blonde from Currie) married an Iraqi airline pilot she met in there in 1990.

They split after a month :biggrin:

Rather worryingly apart from the more out of town ones and the ones in South Edinburgh I think I've been in nearly every place mentioned.

Honourable mentions to the Clock and Preservation Hall as they both had the good sense to throw me off the premises.

Fox Covert (keeping out the road in one of the alcoves)

Clermiston Inn (inc. the dancing upstairs on the weekends)

Corstorphine Inn

Oak Inn

Barnton hotel (Sunday's & loading up with screwtops for the all day session)

good times

NB

J.T.F.Robertson

White Cockade, Burnt Post, The Auld Toll and even earlier, The Casrock(sp) near the bottom of Johnstone Terrace. (one of my first underage pubs)

Romano's, Walker's, but I guess they were more of the "club" variety.

White Cockade, Burnt Post, The Auld Toll and even earlier, The Casrock(sp) near the bottom of Johnstone Terrace. (one of my first underage pubs)

Romano's, Walker's, but I guess they were more of the "club" variety.

The Auld Toll is still there but I accept it's like visiting the past. :stuart:

The Willie Muir.

Scariest pub I ever frequented....

....like the bar out of Star Wars. :peepwall:

Some of us can remember it being built in the mid-late 60s. Actually had my Grandad Dickson's wake in there way back in 1980. I stuck out like a dug's dick in my Naval uniform.

John

It was originally called The Pig & Thistle, then it changed to The Swiss Cottage, then alternated between the The Gylemuir and The Gylepark before closing down.

Went on a jolly Boys crazy weekend to Magaluf with the Gylemuir locals back in 1990,managed to leave one guy who missed the plane.It was a certain Jimmy O' Rourke who owned the boozer back then.

Some of us can remember it being built in the mid-late 60s. Actually had my Grandad Dickson's wake in there way back in 1980. I stuck out like a dug's dick in my Naval uniform.

John

If memory serves, it took about half a dozen goes before it *ahem* accidentaly "went on fire" and burnt to the ground.

Mad Hatters

Bianco's

The Grosvenor

Rumours

What was the place at the West End near the Caledonian

was open till 4?

I think you went down stairs

the place down the stairs was l'attache used to work at the caley, many a happy drunk mid-week night spent in there

J.T.F.Robertson
The Auld Toll is still there but I accept it's like visiting the past. :stuart:

For a time, we'd meet there on a midweek night to plan our "strategy" for the upcoming Hearts' game, whilst immersing ourselves in a few games of "bones". :th_o:

It was a dump back then anaw.

The Sheep's Heid in Duddingston - my first illicit pint in Edinburgh (on a school trip, staying at Pollock Halls).

Father Tiresias
A bit oot of toon but, The Glenburn (I once saw Frank Carson and female mud wrestling there) and the Marchbanks Hotel were good for a Sunday afternoon.

Also The Wheatsheaf R.I.P.:57:

The Glenburn used to be brilliant on a Sunday night with the live bands. They used to have mud wrestling too!

I have good memories of Elders Bar in Rose Street.

J.T.F.Robertson

There are so many places on this thread I know I've been in at some point, just can't remember where most of them were. :57:

Father Tiresias
Was having a conversation today with the folk at work about pubs some of us attended in by gone days and came up with a few that were good for differing reasons.

The Tap O'Lauritson (sp)

Jassie's Bar

Fiddlers Arms

The Lord Darnley

The Regal

The Blue Lagoon

Ah the old days when beer was good and neds stayed in their schemes

The Fiddlers was run by a guy from North Berwick.

Too young to remember it, but growing up I always heard people talk fondly of the Castle o' Clouts.

Can't say I even recognise the name, whereabouts was it ?

WOT A TREAD BY THE WAY , anybody mension The Scotsman in cockburn st, done a load o underage drinking in thr, luved the jukebox cos it hud Whiter shade o pale on it.

chester copperpot
The Sheep's Heid in Duddingston - my first illicit pint in Edinburgh (on a school trip, staying at Pollock Halls).

That's still going strong is it no.

Loved the old sheeps heid. One of my regular haunts when I stayed with my mam and dad.

Archived