Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
He didnt win yet, so he must be Scottish at the moment.

That stuff doesn't bother me really.

If we are honest, he was produced in Barcelona so none of us can have bragging rights!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pete Seeger

Terrible effort from the crowd. It's like looking at Parkhead on CIS cup night.

You can get 5/2 odds on Wawrinka on Skybet at the moment.

Good odds for effectively a 1 set playoff.

Ridiculous.

The people who would actually create an atmosphere aren't able to get tickets.

And that's the whole problem with that place. I've been at Wimbledon a few times and the people there are sickening.

I remember when Goran won in 2001 when it was just regular folk in there and the atmosphere was sensational.

shaun.lawson
And that's the whole problem with that place. I've been at Wimbledon a few times and the people there are sickening.

I remember when Goran won in 2001 when it was just regular folk in there and the atmosphere was sensational.

Remember too that today - the second Monday, and best day of the tournament - is the last day even semi-ordinary folk can get hold of tickets for Centre Court. Whenever I've been, it was always on the second Monday, because you could see high quality players on the outside courts if you weren't early enough to get a show court.

From tomorrow, we really get the prawn sandwich eaters sadly.

Carl Weathers

How does one acquire tickets for centre court?

Is it a ballot? Or do people have seats reserved year on year?

shaun.lawson
to be fair it's unprecedented to be playing at this time. maybe some folk have stuff to do, jobs to go to, blah blah.

decent hold there, lets hope he can get a quick break.

:Agree:

A lot of people will have travelled in via public transport from outside London, and have kids in tow. What choice do they have?

Bloody hell...chasing things that other people would leave certainly pays off...

That's more like it Andy.

The crowd might deserve a bit of criticism for being generally crap but they also deserve some credit for getting into it over the last few games...there are folk giving it laldy all over the shop. Among those who stayed, of course...

It sure is Martin!! My aunt is an LTA member and even when offered tickets she gives them to other LTA members if she can't go..ok in her prime she was a fairly decent amateur tennis player but the attitude that nobody else follows the sport just reeks of snobbery..not that she has anything to feel superior over anyone to be honest but she still tries to..hence the reason I dont like her!

shaun.lawson

It's mainly by ballot - which you need to apply for in the next few months. Up to and including the second Monday though, a decent proportion of tickets for Centre and Court 1 are sold to people who queue up. Be warned though: I got tickets for Centre after queuing in 2000, and joined the queue before 4am!

There are actually two queues - and far and away the better one to go for is the one people who travel in by car join. The other, for those arriving by tube, gets too long and is almost impossible to get a show court ticket from.

There will be some folk that have it reserved but that's probably a small percentage. Most of it is done through a ballot. You send your details to them and you go into a draw for Centre Court, Number 1 and 2. Basically it's pot luck what you get, in terms of both court and day, if you get any at all. You are only allowed tickets for one day as well. One year I ended up getting tickets to the final, the next I got nothing.

Think the tennis clubs get some tickets as well for various days, so folk can go from these clubs.

Failing that, queue up overnight.

The crowd might deserve a bit of criticism for being generally crap but they also deserve some credit for getting into it over the last few games...there are folk giving it laldy all over the shop. Among those who stayed, of course...

They might actually be people that were watching on the hill. There is a bit not far from the hill where you can get re-sale tickets. If someone leaves the grounds completely, they scan your ticket and then sell it again (think it costs something like ?5 and goes to charity).

Carl Weathers
It's mainly by ballot - which you need to apply for in the next few months. Up to and including the second Monday though, a decent proportion of tickets for Centre and Court 1 are sold to people who queue up. Be warned though: I got tickets for Centre after queuing in 2000, and joined the queue before 4am!

There are actually two queues - and far and away the better one to go for is the one people who travel in by car join. The other, for those arriving by tube, gets too long and is almost impossible to get a show court ticket from.

Cheers. I'll probably go one year.

Pete Seeger
Wawrinka is a stubborn stubborn wee basket...

Give in, damn you.

The guys clearly more talented than the media have given him credit for. He's played some superb tennis.

Wawrinka is a stubborn stubborn wee basket...

Give in, damn you.

They just said out here they're practice partners. No way he's going to give up!

It sure is Martin!! My aunt is an LTA member and even when offered tickets she gives them to other LTA members if she can't go..ok in her prime she was a fairly decent amateur tennis player but the attitude that nobody else follows the sport just reeks of snobbery..not that she has anything to feel superior over anyone to be honest but she still tries to..hence the reason I dont like her!

Not surprised, it is the general attitude and that's why tennis in Britain sucks. People like that think they are important and end up either hogging the courts that younger folk should be playing on, or refusing to give anyone else tickets for something like Wimbledon.

Wimbledon would be so much better if they dropped their current plans and just open it up to anyone buying tickets. Get ordinary people and younger people there, especially when most of the snobs don't even know who the players are. They are just doing it for a social status thing.

I P Knightley
As an aside, I'm not even sure Hibs are his second team. I think Wolves are.

He certainly twittered about them so there's little point arguing that one.

Still, I'm not watching a football supporter, I'm watching a very fine tennis player.

Re the commentary. I was watching with the volume off and have only just switched it on. The sound with the roof closed is pretty impressive. Got a good listen to Murray's yell after that drop into the net.

Massive game there to win. Massive point to win as well because it could have looked dodgy if it went to deuce.

Cheers. I'll probably go one year.

Would definitely advise it. Despite the fact you have to put up with people that think they rule the world, it is a great place to go.

great hold there under immense pressure. come on murray, one big effort to break and it's yours.

It's definitely getting close to behind-the-sofa time....

This whole set has been like one long penalty shoot out. My nerves are shot to bits.

shaun.lawson
Not surprised, it is the general attitude and that's why tennis in Britain sucks. People like that think they are important and end up either hogging the courts that younger folk should be playing on, or refusing to give anyone else tickets for something like Wimbledon.

Wimbledon would be so much better if they dropped their current plans and just open it up to anyone buying tickets. Get ordinary people and younger people there, especially when most of the snobs don't even know who the players are. They are just doing it for a social status thing.

The most ridiculous thing is the way the AELTC have reacted in horror in the past at the prospect of a Middle Sunday or Third Monday. They go into this daft panic, find that the atmosphere is superb (in 1992 on a Third Monday, I saw John McEnroe and Michael Stich win the men's doubles 17-15 in the final set on the old Court 1, amid a fantastic din and real tennis fans), then never heed the lesson!

There's the break! Had to get that because he looks absolutely shattered. A few aces here would be good

Archived