Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Not no chance. At this point, I give Murray about a 30% chance to win this event, which'll rise to 40% if he makes the final. Karlovic has, in boxing parlance, a puncher's chance against Federer, but I can't really see him winning a full three sets - and overall, this tournament is Federer's to lose. I suspect Djokovic has a better chance of beating him than Murray (purely because Fed loses finals so rarely, and Djoko's moving through the event almost unnoticed); of course though, if it was a Murray-Djokovic final, then all bets would be off.

A 30% chance of winning when there are still 8 in the tournament is reasonable enough :10900:

Who makes up the other 70%?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like him more than you.

Maybe he feels the need to feel popular on an internet forum, i don't.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
A 30% chance of winning when there are still 8 in the tournament is reasonable enough :10900:

Tim Henman.

Chad Sexington

I didn't say you did.

But I'd take 10 of his slightly smug, know-all posts over one of your snidey, unfunny ones every day.

Not one person on here would miss your contribution if your computer blew up tonight.

Hope this helps. :smiley2:

:D

Of course, a big reason why Henman was so loathed by so many was because he was heavily identified with the people who drive you so obviously up the wall. After your posts on Monday night Gambo, I got to thinking. I'm English, generally wanted Henman to win, but was quite detached about it, and was never gutted when he lost. Moreover, the one and only time I rooted against him was, to the bemusement of the friends I watched the match with, against Ivanisevic in 2001. Not because of anything against Tim; but because I identified with Goran so strongly, and was desperate for him finally to do it after losing three previous finals.

That sort of thing happens in tennis. If Murray makes the final, the audience there will still respect and admire Federer (assuming he makes it too) - how could they not? He's a legend! And I prefer that to the kind of one eyed "my countryman, right or wrong" mentality which you get in football, and when an American crowd are watching, say, tennis or the Ryder Cup.

I hear what you are saying, but imo you should be going to the tennis to support either player, not just to 'watch tennis', if you want to watch tennis take yer strawberries and cream down to yer local LTC.

I'll ask again, do you think Murray in terms of crowd support would prefer centre court to be full off Big Jock fae Scotland types or Sebastians from South Africa.

shaun.lawson

Federer, 45%. Djokovic, 15%. Roddick, 10%.

shaun.lawson

No - I just enjoy debating things. Which makes me an incorrigible bore at times; but at least my opinions are founded upon some sort of knowledge on occasion. You just seem to sway whichever way the wind's blowing.

Chad Sexington
Anyone know what order they are on today?

Federer and Lurch on at 1pm.

Murray is on 2nd I think.

shaun.lawson
Anyone know what order they are on today?

The Federer and Djokovic matches are up first on Centre and 1; then it's Murray and Roddick on the same courts respectively.

Mon Lurch. Federer has disappeared up his own arse with his poofy clothing and golden bags. :nah:

Proper tennis player:

31_ivo_karlovic_318x450.jpg

shaun.lawson
I hear what you are saying, but imo you should be going to the tennis to support either player, not just to 'watch tennis', if you want to watch tennis take yer strawberries and cream down to yer local LTC.

I'll ask again, do you think Murray in terms of crowd support would prefer centre court to be full off Big Jock fae Scotland types or Sebastians from South Africa.

The latter, no doubt. But it's one of the four Grand Slams, and the greatest event in the sport. You have to be as fair as you can to all the other players.

Of course, there have been particularly popular players over the years: Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Agassi, Ivanisevic, Becker, Henman (in a completely different way), Rafter, Nadal. But the public have never really rooted against anyone in a Wimbledon final. If they had, how could they have appreciated Arthur Ashe's brilliant defeat of Connors in '75; or Sampras' impossibly perfect destruction of Agassi in '99? The quality of the play is what makes Centre Court ring like a bell, rather than the individual protagonists once you get to the final.

That's good, because everyone here thinks that you're a ^^^^ anyway. :2thumbsup:

Chad Sexington
That's good, because everyone here thinks that you're a ^^^^ anyway. :2thumbsup:

THAT'S NUMBERWANG!!

numberwang_host.jpg

The latter, no doubt. But it's one of the four Grand Slams, and the greatest event in the sport. You have to be as fair as you can to all the other players.

Of course, there have been particularly popular players over the years: Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Agassi, Ivanisevic, Becker, Henman (in a completely different way), Rafter, Nadal. But the public have never really rooted against anyone in a Wimbledon final. If they had, how could they have appreciated Arthur Ashe's brilliant defeat of Connors in '75; or Sampras' impossibly perfect destruction of Agassi in '99? The quality of the play is what makes Centre Court ring like a bell, rather than the individual protagonists once you get to the final.

Mainly because the Brits have been sent packing before the end of week 1.

Chad Sexington
Mon Lurch. Federer has disappeared up his own arse with his poofy clothing and golden bags. :nah:

Proper tennis player:

31_ivo_karlovic_318x450.jpg

Lurch will be receiving my full hearted support today.

Hope he blows that preening ponce Federer off the court. :2thumbsup:

Drew Busby !

Bottom line, Murray needs to win a grand-slam event to join the likes of Sampras, Agassi, Nadal, Federer et al. He's not in that club yet.

Its not beyond him, but I think it has to happen in the next 2-3 years if it happens at all. Its already tough enough against the likes of Nadal and Federer ... but even at Murrays age there are always wunderkids coming right up behind you... Theres no time to mess about in this game.

shaun.lawson
Mainly because the Brits have been sent packing before the end of week 1.

Even in 1977, as much as they wanted the South African Virginia Wade (;)) to win, I doubt they rooted against Betty Stove. You might look at the Aussie Open final in 2005 too: of course most of the crowd wanted Lleyton Hewitt to win, but his opponent Marat Safin was so popular that the atmosphere was very fair, and no-one was down about it when Safin triumphed.

The US Open, though, is certainly another story.

I wanted to leave work early but staff shortages mean I can't :57:

How much of Murray's game d'ya reckon I'll have missed by 5pm? :57:

shaun.lawson
Bottom line, Murray needs to win a grand-slam event to join the likes of Sampras, Agassi, Nadal, Federer et al. He's not in that club yet.

Its not beyond him, but I think it has to happen in the next 2-3 years if it happens at all. Its already tough enough against the likes of Nadal and Federer ... but even at Murrays age there are always wunderkids coming right up behind you... Theres no time to mess about in this game.

Entirely correct. The great thing is that Murray's well ahead of schedule though.

shaun.lawson
I wanted to leave work early but staff shortages mean I can't :57:

How much of Murray's game d'ya reckon I'll have missed by 5pm? :57:

Mmm... probably two sets or so, I'd say. Maybe a bit less than that. Today really ought to be fairly routine for him though: it's Friday and (hopefully) Sunday which promise to be unmissable.

. You have to be as fair as you can to all the other players.

The organisers and the officials HAVE to, but why do the 'fans' have to?

Also what is unfair about cheering on Murray? The difference i want is instead of Sebastian and his chums screeching "c'mon Andrew" or "c'mon Andy" in between their sooks on Strawberries and sips of a shared Pimms, i would prefer it (and imo so would Murray) if there were plenty of Scottish accents bellowing out encouragement "get aboot him Murray", get in tae um Murray", "c'mon Murray".

shaun.lawson

Also what is unfair about cheering on Murray? The difference i want is instead of Sebastian and his chums screeching "c'mon Andrew" or "c'mon Andy" in between their sooks on Strawberries and sips of a shared Pimms, i would prefer it (and imo so would Murray) if there were plenty of Scottish accents bellowing out encouragement "get aboot him Murray", get in tae um Murray", "c'mon Murray".

Nothing unfair about it at all. But there's a difference between cheering for Murray and, say, cheering his opponent's double faults, slow hand clapping them between games or calling out during points or when his opponent is about to serve. The latter doesn't happen at Wimbledon. It does happen in Davis Cup Finals in places like Spain, Argentina or Russia, and can be very ugly.

Even in 1977, as much as they wanted the South African Virginia Wade (;)) to win, I doubt they rooted against Betty Stove. You might look at the Aussie Open final in 2005 too: of course most of the crowd wanted Lleyton Hewitt to win, but his opponent Marat Safin was so popular that the atmosphere was very fair, and no-one was down about it when Safin triumphed.

The US Open, though, is certainly another story.

It is only you that is talking about rooting against the other player, i couldn't give 4(i'm greedy)hoots about the other player, i am talking about proper support for Murray.

The difference i want is instead of Sebastian and his chums screeching "c'mon Andrew" or "c'mon Andy" in between their sooks on Strawberries and sips of a shared Pimms, i would prefer it (and imo so would Murray) if there were plenty of Scottish accents bellowing out encouragement "get aboot him Murray", get in tae um Murray", "c'mon Murray".

I think that this is a pretty stupid viewpoint, tbh. Would it be ok if you had non-posh English people cheering him on?

Aye, we don't want him becoming the new Monty. Come on son, get it done and dusted this year.

shaun.lawson
It is only you that is talking about rooting against the other player, i couldn't give 4(i'm greedy)hoots about the other player, i am talking about proper support for Murray.

But in the last two sets on Monday, proper support is, as Ivana confirmed earlier, certainly what he got! It'd maybe been missing in previous matches purely because he was so clinical, so the public never doubted he would win. The clinical thing is what made Sampras so hard to warm to; as it has other serial Champions in sport like Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher or Stephen Hendry.

I think that this is a pretty stupid viewpoint, tbh. Would it be ok if you had non-posh English people cheering him on?

Only giving the viewpoint of what i would prefer to see, and imo what Murray would prefer.

But in the last two sets on Monday, proper support is, as Ivana confirmed earlier, certainly what he got! It'd maybe been missing in previous matches purely because he was so clinical, so the public never doubted he would win. The clinical thing is what made Sampras so hard to warm to; as it has other serial Champions in sport like Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher or Stephen Hendry.

As pointed out, that was once half the stadium had emptied, ie all the hooray henries.

shaun.lawson
Only giving the viewpoint of what i would prefer to see, and imo what Murray would prefer.

Believe me Gambo, it's better than it was. In 1997, Rusedski and Henman both made the quarters: two Britons in the last eight was unprecedented in the modern era, and both were expected to meet in the semi. Yet both were put on Court 1 - and when play began, it was barely half full! Unbelievable, and both collapsed like a wet balloon.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

There are lots of Scottish people who don't talk like that.

That's Karlovic broken already, should be first set to Fed.

Chad Sexington
That's Karlovic broken already, should be first set to Fed.

Lurch looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. :57:

Lurch looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. :57:

He's a total donkey but his serve is ridiculous!

Federers returns have been superb though.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Federer 4-1 up in the opening set already.

Straight sets it is then.

Karlovic is just a freak with a tennis racquet. He should go back to the travelling circus.

Great game from Federer to break Karlovic at 5-5. Two sets up now, get it over and done with.

The Haas-Djokovic match has five sets written all over it.

The People's Chimp

Gambo, have you ever heard murray speak with an accent like that? I've never heard him say he "can't wait tae set aboot nadal" or "get intae yon big galoot federer."

Given wimbledon is in london, why do you think the english shouldn't be able to attend? Where were these 'set aboot him' type scots any other year? Why should people who go every year not go this year because a bunch of tartan army boys fancy hopping on the bandwagon?

I'm no friend of the over priviliged and certainly not hooray henry's, but your approach is embarassing; the national cringe rears its head again.

rudi must stay
Karlovic is just a freak with a tennis racquet. He should go back to the travelling circus.

Karlovic. He's quite good, he's just crap anyone time he plays any of the players in the top 10. There was no chance he was going to beat Federer :th_o:

Federer has barely broken sweat in reaching the semis and I think he will win very comfortably on Friday too. The EVS on him at the start looks ridiculous at the moment.

Well done, Lurch. Straight sets victory and Federer didnt even break sweat. Stick to basketball, freakshow

Pretty straight forward for Federer, totally showed up Karlovic's limited game.

Haas two sets up now as well. He bottled it when serving for it, but then Djokovic bottled it in the tie break.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Federer 4-1 up in the opening set already.

Straight sets it is then.

I almost feel Shaun.Lawson esque when it comes to tennis.

Kill me now :smiley2:

Note- it didn't really take a great deal of intelligence to predict that outcome

shaun.lawson
I almost feel Shaun.Lawson esque when it comes to tennis.

Kill me now :smiley2:

Note- it didn't really take a great deal of intelligence to predict that outcome

Shaun.Lawson-esque would mean you were hopeless! Ridiculously good from Federer, who has now reached 21 Grand Slam semi-finals in a row - and off the top of my head, I think he's only lost three of them. Insane! But Djokovic is in big trouble. Haas has a reasonable record against Fed - but really, it's almost impossible to imagine anything other than him cruising into yet another final.

It's weird. Federer's only two matches away from breaking the record - yet has basked in the role of barely being noticed while everyone raves about Murray...

Archived