Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

Dr. Bapswent

Murray has hardly broken sweat!

What gives?

And footballers moan about playing 90 mins each week!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

YAAAAASSS!

Brilliant entertainment. He's going to be ****ed for the next round though!

What a fecking guy.

GIRFUY 3inabednar.

If that doesn't prove his bottle nothing will.

wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for him..oh and your bet as well AP...well done!!! :10900:

Pete Seeger
Murray has hardly broken sweat!

What gives?

And footballers moan about playing 90 mins each week!

Credit to both players. 4 Hours at that pace is superb. His fitness has improved no ends this past year or two.

Thank feck!!

He did it when it counted and that says it all. There's a champion for you and quality entertainment too

brilliant guts and guile from murray yet again, that's why he's the player he is.

all credit to wawrinka as well as he never gave up either.

credit is also due to the crowd who eventually gave him the support he needed when it really mattered.

Oh my god, he's utterly shattered...and no wonder...

What a bloody match.

I've never seen him look so emotional on the court.

loveofthegame
Murray in 5 sets i reckon...

Hate to say i told you so... ha. That was ****ing horrible!!! Still, he dug it out. Brilliant.

Time for Andy to adopt his Scottishness again. Little England showed what they thought of him tonight as they left with one crucial set to go. They only get behind him half heartedly because there is no englishman to get behind. Strawberry munchers, the lot of them, full of hooray henries and University slags who only want to screech and write slogans on their tee shirts.

Andy Murray should be proud to be Scottish and not be scared to upset the strawberry munchers, demand that plenty of tickets are set aside for scottish people next round and all the way to the final.

Imagine a top British(world) player having to beg for the home crowds support, i bet Tim Henman would never had to beg for support.

He feels no connection with most of the centre court crowd, give him what he wants if we want a British winner at Wimbledon.

loveofthegame
YAAAAASSS!

Brilliant entertainment. He's going to be ****ed for the next round though![/QUOTE]

Thankfully the draw has been fairly kind to him in respect of his quarter-final opponent. I don't want to jinx it but if Murray plays anywhere near his best he should win comfortably. Ferrero is an unseeded, past his best, clay court player.

I really hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the erse...

Time for Andy to adopt his Scottishness again. Little England showed what they thought of him tonight as they left with one crucial set to go. They only get behind him half heartedly because there is no englishman to get behind. Strawberry munchers, the lot of them, full of hooray henries and University slags who only want to screech and write slogans on their tee shirts.

Andy Murray should be proud to be Scottish and not be scared to upset the strawberry munchers, demand that plenty of tickets are set aside for scottish people next round and all the way to the final.

He feels no connection with most of the centre court crowd, give him what he wants if we want a British winner at Wimbledon.

hoi, i had strawberries tonight. strawberries are great, but they aren't actually berries.

Thankfully the draw has been fairly kind to him in respect of his quarter-final opponent. I don't want to jinx it but if Murray plays anywhere near his best he should win comfortably. Ferrero is an unseeded, past his best, clay court player.

I really hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the erse...

Least I'm not the first one to say this!

He beat Ferrero a few weeks ago and I don't think Ferrero has the weapons now to really hurt him.

Wouldn't be surprised if he took a set off him but as long as Murray copes with his own nerves fine, he'll win.

YAAAAASSS!

Brilliant entertainment. He's going to be ****ed for the next round though![/QUOTE]

Thankfully the draw has been fairly kind to him in respect of his quarter-final opponent. I don't want to jinx it but if Murray plays anywhere near his best he should win comfortably. Ferrero is an unseeded' date=' past his best, clay court player.

I really hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the erse...[/quote']

He has had a very good Wimbledon so far though, definitely no mug. Probably the easiest of the 4 ties but I'm not writing anyone off!

Federer was taken to tie break twice today and Hewitt had a 5 setter so it's been a tough day all round.

shaun.lawson

Bollocks. Ludicrously anti-English post. The atmosphere by the end was unique not only in tennis, but in world sport - it's what makes Wimbledon what it is.

He is proud to be Scottish. He's also proud to be British. And for all its flaws, as a British player, he's lucky in that he has a home Grand Slam, and always plays on its most famous court. "Feels no connection"? What do you think that reaction was for afterwards then?

He's a great player, and more and more, the crowd are taking him to their heart.

loveofthegame

He has had a very good Wimbledon so far though' date=' definitely no mug. Probably the easiest of the 4 ties but I'm not writing anyone off!

Federer was taken to tie break twice today and Hewitt had a 5 setter so it's been a tough day all round.[/quote']

Edit: Ignore

shaun.lawson

He has had a very good Wimbledon so far though, definitely no mug. Probably the easiest of the 4 ties but I'm not writing anyone off!

Federer was taken to tie break twice today and Hewitt had a 5 setter so it's been a tough day all round.

I don't see how Ferrero beats Murray on grass - and Ferrero must surely just be happy to be in the last eight. Mind you, I also didn't see how Wawrinka could push Murray as close as he did!

Assuming he recovers fine, the quarter-final should be OK. The semi will be a huge test though.

loveofthegame

Definitely. Its the quarters of Wimbledon, so no mugs left. Confident about the quarters but a semi against Hewitt or Roddick could be another epic. Anyway thats knackered me, off to my kip....

shaun.lawson

Live on Five Live right now, who's the first person to phone up Richard Bacon? Macar the Hobo. :57:

I'm knackered now!

The Roof is the best thing to ever happen at Wimbledon. No more " bad light stops play" baws.

Outstanding telly.

The Vulture

McEnroe was going on about how grass is Ferrero's favourite surface. Really can't wait for the Roddick Hewitt tie. Can't see Karlovic beat RF but you never know.

Bollocks. Ludicrously anti-English post. The atmosphere by the end was unique not only in tennis, but in world sport - it's what makes Wimbledon what it is.

He is proud to be Scottish. He's also proud to be British. And for all its flaws, as a British player, he's lucky in that he has a home Grand Slam, and always plays on its most famous court. "Feels no connection"? What do you think that reaction was for afterwards then?

He's a great player, and more and more, the crowd are taking him to their heart.

Be honest Shaun...do you really think he's getting the same sort of support that an Englishman could expect? Given what he's achieved and the way he's playing...and the prospect that he is for British tennis?

They only started getting behind him in the 4th set, it was a joke. As for the folk leaving early - they should be banned from attending a sporting event ever again. Couldn't care less if they had other things to do, you surely plan for 5 sets. If I went to a cup game I would factor in the chance of extra time.

If it's a Federer - Murray final I can honestly see the majority rooting for RF.

Correct, after half the hooray henries left.

Honestly give Andy Murray the choice, a centre court full of Strawberry munchers or a centre court full of the 'tartan army' and what do you think he would 'privately' choose?

He has had to beg in the press for the fans to get behind him, absolutely shocking.

IMO he has to play up to the strawberry munchers as that is who gets the tickets(look what happened when he joked about a Paraguay strip), Wimbledon Chiefs should be doing all in their power to make him champion and that imo means reserving seats for Scottish fans.

If he wins i hope he seeks out a Saltire or Lion Rampant.

What a game, what a fighter. And well done to Wawrinka. He'd win any back hand only Olympics

It is difficult to see how the long running game approach is going to trouble the Fed at Wimbledon. But then again Murray's serve was pretty woeful tonight so struggled for easy points. If he gets that back then naturally it will give him a chance.

Add his fighting qualities to some of the exquisite shot making, sometimes poor concentration levels (and choice language) it is difficult to see past Murray not only this generation's greatest entertainer , but one of the greatest ever.

shaun.lawson
They only started getting behind him in the 4th set, it was a joke. As for the folk leaving eary - they should be banned from attending a sporting event ever again. Couldn't care less if they had other things to do, you surely plan for 5 sets. If I went to a cup game I would factor in the chance of extra time.

If it's a Federer - Murray final I can honestly see the majority rooting for RF.

Wimbledon has never previously gone beyond 9.20 or 9.30 at a push - never ever! "Plan for five sets"? How do you propose they get home with no transport to take them there - especially if they have kids with them?

The crowd were nervous earlier on. You know - how Hearts fans often are in matches we're expected to win. Certainly, the crowd at Wimbledon are different from other sporting events - and fairer. But I like that. And if you think we're bad, you should see the French at Roland Garros: they turn on their own player in no time!

In a Murray-Federer final, which I remain sceptical will happen this year, most of the crowd will want Murray to win. Look how they got behind Nadal in last year's epic. But they're also fair, and have enormous respect and admiration for what Federer's achieved, so won't root against him in a nasty way. And that's how it should be really. There are few sights in sport more ugly than an away player or team having their mistakes cheered, or the fans getting on the ref to too great a degree. Exhibit A: Argentina v Holland, 1978. Various Davis Cup Finals have descended into chaos too.

The British aren't obnoxious, and aren't brash. That's what makes us what we are.

Murray had to leave Britain to become a success. The LTA is the reason UK tennis sucks. Murray is a success in spite of the LTA nothing is down to them.

I hope he wins it wearing Ken Buchanan style shorts. Ram it down their throats and dedicate the win to the Scottish people.

And I'm in no way a Scottish Nationalist

The British aren't obnoxious, and aren't brash. That's what makes us what we are.

Losers (when it comes to sport)?

We should be using everything to our advantage to give Murray the best chance of winning, and that imo means filling the centre court with Scotsmen, people Murray can relate to instead of being polite to.

Murray had to leave Britain to become a success. The LTA is the reason UK tennis sucks. Murray is a success in spite of the LTA nothing is down to them.

I hope he wins it wearing Ken Buchanan style shorts. Ram it down their throats and dedicate the win to the Scottish people.

Agree.

shaun.lawson
Correct, after half the hooray henries left.

Honestly give Andy Murray the choice, a centre court full of Strawberry munchers or a centre court full of the 'tartan army' and what do you think he would 'privately' choose?

He has had to beg in the press for the fans to get behind him, absolutely shocking.

IMO he has to play up to the strawberry munchers as that is who gets the tickets(look what happened when he joked about a Paraguay strip), Wimbledon Chiefs should be doing all in their power to make him champion and that imo means reserving seats for Scottish fans.

If he wins i hope he seeks out a Saltire or Lion Rampant.

Really? A lot of that came from the way the press twisted his joke about England-Paraguay completely out of context. The LTA should be doing everything in their power to make him Wimbledon Champion - but not the AELTC. All they should be doing is not putting obstacles in his way: and are already helping him by having every match of his on Centre, and scheduling him last, when the atmosphere is always different.

Nice to see people suddenly calling for out-and-out bias from the authorities though. Did I just imagine all the threads on here castigating the Scottish footballing authorities for bias towards the OF? And did I also just imagine everyone greeting about England getting to play all our 1966 games at Wembley? What's the difference?

Dr. Bapswent
Wimbledon has never previously gone beyond 9.20 or 9.30 at a push - never ever! "Plan for five sets"? How do you propose they get home with no transport to take them there - especially if they have kids with them?

The crowd were nervous earlier on. You know - how Hearts fans often are in matches we're expected to win. Certainly, the crowd at Wimbledon are different from other sporting events - and fairer. But I like that. And if you think we're bad, you should see the French at Roland Garros: they turn on their own player in no time!

In a Murray-Federer final, which I remain sceptical will happen this year, most of the crowd will want Murray to win. Look how they got behind Nadal in last year's epic. But they're also fair, and have enormous respect and admiration for what Federer's achieved, so won't root against him in a nasty way. And that's how it should be really. There are few sights in sport more ugly than an away player or team having their mistakes cheered, or the fans getting on the ref to too great a degree. Exhibit A: Argentina v Holland, 1978. Various Davis Cup Finals have descended into chaos too.

Are you speaking on behalf of the Scots as well?

I'm aware of that ... what difference does it make though? If you have no transport and have kids you shouldn't really be going to a tea time match which could go to five sets. Very selfish and taking up a seat that could be going to a fan who wants to support Murray.

Pathetic crowd today minus that bird with the tits, Ewan McGregor and that wee crowd who they zoomed in on everytime.

I hope he wins it and dedicates it to the people of Dunblane.

Really? A lot of that came from the way the press twisted his joke about England-Paraguay completely out of context. The LTA should be doing everything in their power to make him Wimbledon Champion - but not the AELTC. All they should be doing is not putting obstacles in his way: and are already helping him by having every match of his on Centre, and scheduling him last, when the atmosphere is always different.

Nice to see people suddenly calling for out-and-out bias from the authorities though. Did I just imagine all the threads on here castigating the Scottish footballing authorities for bias towards the OF? And did I also just imagine everyone greeting about England getting to play all our 1966 games at Wembley? What's the difference?

Is he playing anyone else from the UK.........................No he is well past the first round.

I'm Scottish(proud to be British also) first and foremost and will be right behing the Scottish player as he makes his way through the rounds and hope he crushes every opponent, no doubt though you will 'quite like' :stuart: his opponents whilst still giving Murray some support.

I honestly don't want Murray to win Wimbledon for the majority of the crowd that have watched his games so far, i want him to win it for himself and dedicate it to the people of Scotland (and Barcelona).

If it had been Henman, more folk would have stayed. Considering they had the roof on, the atmosphere wasn't nearly as good as it should have been.

shaun.lawson
Losers (when it comes to sport)?

We should be using everything to our advantage to give Murray the best chance of winning, and that imo means filling the centre court with Scotsmen.

Much nonsense is written about this. Our tennis record is certainly appalling. But we did brilliantly at the Olympics, England have won the Rugby World Cup and Ashes pretty recently, and over the years, Britain have produced sporting heroes like Steve Redgrave, Nick Faldo, Sandy Lyle, Ian Woosnam, Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Linford Christie, Sally Gunnell, Colin Jackson, Jonathan Edwards, Denise Lewis, Kelly Holmes, Jonny Wilkinson, Martin Johnson, Ben Ainslie, Joe Calzaghe, Chris Hoy and now Andy Murray.

If you ask me, I'd say we're doing OK. And however much I love and am obsessed by sport, treating it as the be-all and end-all in life is often a sign of profound national insecurity. Exhibit A: some South American nations who seem to think the whole world revolves around football. Exhibit B: Australia, who are obsessed with sport because they can't punch above their weight in anything else. If Australia's so great boys, why do so many of you leave and head for Britain? ;)

I think your criticisms of the British temperament and character applied a lot more ten or twenty years ago. With the exception of English footballers, who are a bunch of overpaid brats, most British sportsmen and women have a far more professional, dedicated approach nowadays.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I'm aware of that ... what difference does it make though? If you have no transport and have kids you shouldn't really be going to a tea time match which could go to five sets. Very selfish and taking up a seat that could be going to a fan who wants to support Murray.

Pathetic crowd today minus that bird with the tits, Ewan McGregor and that wee crowd who they zoomed in on everytime.

Must have missed that. WTF?

shaun.lawson

On the basis that it had never ever gone beyond 9.30 before, on any previous day in Wimbledon history, the crowd would've had time to get home!

shaun.lawson
Are you speaking on behalf of the Scots as well?

In many cases, yes - in all except football. Almost all sporting crowds the world over are different to football crowds.

Boaby Ewing

Shaun, I'm sorry but you're wrong on this one.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

It's not feckin' difficult getting anywhere in London at 10 pm.

From Wimbledon Park it's an hour to Kings Cross, less than 30 minutes to Waterloo, and not much more than an hour and a half to anywhere within the M25 (and given the vagaries of the tube/overground system it's probably faster to most places in Surrey than it is to the upper reaches of zones 2 and 3).

Archived