Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

shaun.lawson
Yeah and moving Wimbledo forward a few weeks will make such a difference on the likelyhood of rain affecting it. For god's sake the competition is is the UK, were the average likely hood of rain over any fortnight period is relatively high. If the last couple of years are anything to go by, there would be more disruption if it was moved into the last two weeks of July. Plus the fact that, even without rain, the humidity in London gets pigin awful the later in the summer you get, June is almost bearable, July is god awful and August is hellish.

I wouldn't just put Wimbledon back because of the weather. I'd do it because a gap of almost four months between the first two Grand Slams, and three weeks between the second and third ones makes zero sense! Granted, it gets humid in July, and there are thunderstorms - but the further you go into summer, the hotter and drier it generally is. Not every year, goodness knows; but on balance, it is.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson
In the case of the Australian Open, it coincides with the long school holidays here. Kids don't go back till the first week in February and helps to explain why it is the biggest attended Grand Slam event (that and the fact they are quite fond of night matches in Melbourne). Also you have the Australia Day celebrations as well. The heat this year in January was ridiculous in Melbourne BUT it was just as bad in February (that was when the Black Saturday bush fires occurred) so postponing it until later wouldn't be of any benefit except that the players had played more warm-up events.

Out of interest, is it always just as bad in February? Was this year the exception, or the rule? The greater capacity for tune-up events is at least one argument in favour, anyway. Andre Agassi dominated the event around the turn of the century largely because, while his fellow pros rested up in December and over Xmas, he retreated to the Nevada desert for a fiendish training regime which left him tip top and raring to go come the new season, while his competitors lagged behind!

Geoff Kilpatrick
Out of interest, is it always just as bad in February? Was this year the exception, or the rule? The greater capacity for tune-up events is at least one argument in favour, anyway. Andre Agassi dominated the event around the turn of the century largely because, while his fellow pros rested up in December and over Xmas, he retreated to the Nevada desert for a fiendish training regime which left him tip top and raring to go come the new season, while his competitors lagged behind!

Having only experienced two summers, February has definitely been worse in both cases. From people I've spoken too, this tends to be the case in most instances.

shaun.lawson
Having only experienced two summers, February has definitely been worse in both cases. From people I've spoken too, this tends to be the case in most instances.

Cool. Or rather, not cool! Makes sense I guess: February Down Under equals August north of the equator.

I P Knightley
It's not often I agree with a Daily Mail writer, but he's spot on.

So why not move the Aussie Open back a few weeks to, say, mid-February? Keep the French where it is, but move Wimbledon back to the final two weeks of July; then move the US Open back about a fortnight to mid-September. All you'd need is a couple more grass court events prior to the big one, which must be possible somewhere like Holland or Germany, surely? As it is, it makes zero sense that the game's blue riband event is played on a surface which is close to an anachronism in modern day tennis.

First up, I understand Des Kelly to be one of the decent guys. It just happens that he's employed by a paper where other journalists hold and present views which you (and many) find disagreeable. Not like you to be tarring everyone with the one brush, Shaun ;)

As for your suggested changes to the calendar, I agree it would make sense to split the thing up to have, roughly, 7 weeks then a slam, 7 weeks then a slam etc.

Furthermore, I'd want there to be one of the Masters 1000 series played on grass. There are now 3 on clay and 6 on hard. There isn't even a Masters 500 on grass, just the 250s. If grass is good enough for a slam event, it ought to be given a more serious profile elsewhere in the tour.

Andy Murray's demeanour has improved - and you need to lose that very obvious chip on your shoulder you have about the English! ;)

Sorry, Shaun but I think you should read what I wrote again. You've grabbed the wrong end of the stick, if I may say so, my friend.

I was not having a pop at 'the English', just the English Establishment, the LTA, the Home Counties Hooray Henrys and Henriettas and supercilious Wogan's word's commending whoever it was who had brought Andy to his sartorial and behavioural senses in order for him to display the 'appropriate image'.

They don't know what to make of Murray - he's made of stuff which they neither understand nor appreciate. But who cares - it's that very stuff which will ensure that he'll lift that Cup sooner rather than later. When he does eventually reach that goal they will be happy to bask in the reflected glory.

I can assure you I have no chip on my shoulder about 'The English'. My wife of 37 years is English and many of my closest and warmest friends happen to be English and all hold similar views to mine regarding SW19.

I'll away now, Shaun, and pour myself a large Pimms. Aye, that'll be right!

I P Knightley

I can assure you I have no chip on my shoulder about 'The English'. My wife of 37 years is English and many of my closest and warmest friends happen to be English and all hold similar views to mine regarding SW19.

Reason enough, I'd have thought... ;)

p.s. you're spot on with your analysis.

Reason enough, I'd have thought... ;)

p.s. you're spot on with your analysis.

Yes, Ivan, it can be a struggle at times not to succumb to the odd bout of wanting to see the English far enough, especially when my wife puts on her Mrs Thatcher persona - they both come from Lincolnshire!

anybody know when murray will be on today?

Third match on Centre Court probably around 5pm depending on how long the earlier matches take.

Third match on Centre Court probably around 5pm depending on how long the earlier matches take.

Third time in a row he's been on last, surely it would be to his advantage to stick him on first each time? That way he knows exactly what time his match begins so he wouldn't be waiting around, and would be ideally prepared.

Anyway, he was superb on Thursday. More of the same today please:2thumbsup:

I've often argued that we won't win anything till we have tough east end kids playing the game, guys who would be well up for leaping the net and chinning their opponent !

However it would appear that the powers that be, despite bemoaning a lack of success in public, have no intention of the game drifting into the reach of the common man.

A classless society? ..........my arse

Listening to John Lloyd a couple of days back and it was the same old stuff as last ........century :hang:. I can only assume he doesnt want to rock the boat because he refused to name names or point fingers at WHERE it is actually going wrong !

Denny Crane
Third time in a row he's been on last, surely it would be to his advantage to stick him on first each time? That way he knows exactly what time his match begins so he wouldn't be waiting around, and would be ideally prepared.

Anyway, he was superb on Thursday. More of the same today please:2thumbsup:

TV has a hand in this. Murray is fortunate that Centre Court now has a roof. Henman would get the 5pm treatment as well so that TV audiences would get a boost. Had a roof been in place in the 2001 semi......

shaun.lawson
Greg the Canadian really is a *****.

Seconded. Last time I was at Wimbledon was on the first day of 2000. Rusedski was last on, and managed to lose to Vince Spadea, who hadn't won a match on tour since the previous year! I laughed and laughed and laughed.

shaun.lawson
Sorry, Shaun but I think you should read what I wrote again. You've grabbed the wrong end of the stick, if I may say so, my friend.

I was not having a pop at 'the English', just the English Establishment, the LTA, the Home Counties Hooray Henrys and Henriettas and supercilious Wogan's word's commending whoever it was who had brought Andy to his sartorial and behavioural senses in order for him to display the 'appropriate image'.

They don't know what to make of Murray - he's made of stuff which they neither understand nor appreciate. But who cares - it's that very stuff which will ensure that he'll lift that Cup sooner rather than later. When he does eventually reach that goal they will be happy to bask in the reflected glory.

I'll away now, Shaun, and pour myself a large Pimms. Aye, that'll be right!

I was just teasing billco! The English establishment drive me up the wall too... :rifle:

Gigolo-Aunt
Seconded. Last time I was at Wimbledon was on the first day of 2000. Rusedski was last on, and managed to lose to Vince Spadea, who hadn't won a match on tour since the previous year! I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Quality!

:10900:

shaun.lawson

Listening to John Lloyd a couple of days back and it was the same old stuff as last ........century :hang:. I can only assume he doesnt want to rock the boat because he refused to name names or point fingers at WHERE it is actually going wrong !

Correct. John Lloyd is a) not a pundit, but a cheerleader; B) a choker and underachiever beyond belief as a player; and c) a perfect Davis Cup captain, in that he refuses to rock the boat about anything. The only good Davis Cup captain we've had in living memory was his brother David - who called a spade a spade, challenged the LTA, got generally excellent results, and was sacked ridiculously prematurely by the powers that aren't. Go figure.

The Vulture

Roddick is nearly home, here's hoping that Andy Murray serves to the same standards as he did in the last game.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Looks like Murray might be the first player to play under the roof.

A good omen for the future champ.

shaun.lawson

Roddick through, rain coming, looks like Murray's going to have the honour of being the first to play at Wimbledon under a roof. Roddick now plays Tomas Berdych, who hasn't dropped a set yet, and is ridiculously talented - but so far in his career, has displayed the willpower and moral fibre of purest blancmange. If Berdych believes in himself, he not only could beat Roddick, but would be a massive threat in the whole tournament: he's arguably the Krajicek of his generation.

I P Knightley
Looks like Murray might be the first player to play under the roof.

A good omen for the future champ.

We've already had the thunder and rainstorms pass over west London. Seems as though they've dodged it south of the river.

Just saw a guy I know in the crowd - he's a boring tw4t and doesn't deserve to be enjoying this :(

murray peshing all over the boy in 2nd gear. you can tell the other boy is top notch and is bleedin' dangerous but murray is a total fox, he just has too many shots and too many ideas for him to deal with.

this wont last long.

2 sets up, this will be over in the next 45 minutes.

Feeling a bit sorry for Troitsky, you won't see a more one sided game this whole tournament!

Chad Sexington

Feeling a bit sorry for Troitsky, you won't see a more one sided game this whole tournament!

He's Murray's beeatch.

shaun.lawson

Poor Troicki. He's still fighting and playing pretty well - but what does he have to do even to win a game?

Superb stuff from Murray. A masterclass.

He's Murray's beeatch.

Tell you what, Murray needs to get a new beeatch.

Unimpressed by his level of ****** when he could pump any bird he wanted.

340x.jpg

you canahhhht be serious mahhhn. as some tennis radge said a few times.

shaun.lawson

Ah - but Kim dresses down to please Middle England. I think she's pretty stunning myself, but it'd only be obvious if she tarted herself up a la a few other tennis girlfriends.

Over on Court 1, Ferrero's just gone two sets to one up on Gonzalez. Even more good news for Murray.

340x.jpg

Fair play, she looks amazing in that pic. Must be on the blob or something today. :D

shaun.lawson
340x.jpg

D'uh! That's Djokovic's bit of fluff!

Fair play, she looks amazing in that pic. Must be on the blob or something today. :D

on her second serve is she? never mind love.

Gigolo-Aunt
Ah - but Kim dresses down to please Middle England. I think she's pretty stunning myself, but it'd only be obvious if she tarted herself up a la a few other tennis girlfriends.

Over on Court 1, Ferrero's just gone two sets to one up on Gonzalez. Even more good news for Murray.

LOL

Kim?

Know her Shaun?

shaun.lawson
LOL

Kim?

Know her Shaun?

I wish! She's England's part of Murray's success. It's all down to her, obviously. :smiley2:

shaun.lawson
is it?

FAIL.

bloody google images.

It's always a good idea to check the thread or webpage a pic is from first!

It's always a good idea to check the thread or webpage a pic is from first!

yes, yes it bleedin' well is.

Gigolo-Aunt
b_Kim-Sears.jpg

Hmmmmm. :nah:

Can see where you are coming from.

Murray should be putting it about with the womens tennis players.

He should also grow a moustache.

shaun.lawson
Timmy Henman really is a bore.

As Des Kelly said in the Daily Heil, he's the Chinese takeaway of commentators. Seems like an obvious choice, but strangely unsatisfying.

Archived