Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive game there to break, deserved that for some quality shots! Hopefully close the set out now.

I'll get him into 24/7 live sport if it kills me :stuart:

It's the only way to be!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS! Finally!

That's more like it Wimbledon, get behind him FFS. If the mighty Trevor McDonald can do it, so can you miserable lot.

Now he just has to avoid fecking this last one up...

Hopefully that's him 'in the zone' now or whatever the tennis-speak is for getting your finger out of your bahooky and stringing together some good play.

As others have said, his first serve has let him down a little today...he's got a much better first serve in there and now (hopefully) he'll have the confidence to unleash a few aces...

All the hallmarks there why he's one of the best in the world. Held his nerve to save the break points early in the set, take the chance when he got the opportunity and then serve out to love.

Needs to keep the pressure on Wawrinka now because an early break could do him in.

Say What Again
Do you think Ewan Macgregor, Iain Hislop and Sir Clive had to pay for their tickets ? :th_o:

Maybe, but surely big Trevor MacDonald didn't.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

All of a sudden Wawrinkas serve and backhand don't look so lethal. Amazing how quickly the game can turn.

woooooooooooooooooop woooooooooooooooop!!!!!!!!!!

Go on Andy Murray!!!!!! Some very fine tennis!!!!!!!!!! :10900:

Oh and Martin I even had Mr F saying 3 set points just there!! It's a bit like toilet training ..its taken him ages as well but we've got there and the penny is now starting to drop there is nothing better than a really good match of anything!! Cartoons are for 2 year olds :wink:

All of a sudden Wawrinkas serve and backhand don't look so lethal. Amazing how quickly the game can turn.

And his forehand looks really quite mince.

Oh and Martin I even had Mr F saying 3 set points just there!! It's a bit like toilet training ..its taken him ages as well but we've got there and the penny is now starting to drop there is nothing better than a really good match of anything!! Cartoons are for 2 year olds :wink:

About time too, the cartoons now aren't as good as they used to be. Toilet training and being fairly interested in sport, this must be like Christmas for you :2thumbsup:

shaun.lawson
Exactly. They just mentioned that they think that was the best set Wawrinka has ever played and it's obvious that Andy's well under par so hopefully he's only going to settle into the match now...

Breaking Wawrinka now would be a good plan though.

As a general rule, whenever the British hope loses a set or match, it's always because the opponent produced 'their best performance ever'. Sometimes it's true, more often it's garbage. How could the commentators know whether Wawrinka had ever played better? Do they watch him at every tournament he's at?

Match seems to have turned now though. Wawrinka looks tired, Murray looks like he could go all night (oooh er). He should be fine.

I P Knightley
Maybe, but surely big Trevor MacDonald didn't.

Trevor is surprisingly tiny. I nearly stepped on him when he passed me on the south bank last year.

As a general rule, whenever the British hope loses a set or match, it's always because the opponent produced 'their best performance ever'. Sometimes it's true, more often it's garbage. How could the commentators know whether Wawrinka had ever played better? Do they watch him at every tournament he's at?

Match seems to have turned now though. Wawrinka looks tired, Murray looks like he could go all night (oooh er). He should be fine.

oh there you are. was beginning to think you were at the match with the rest of the aristos. :)

shaun.lawson
Trevor is surprisingly tiny. I nearly stepped on him when he passed me on the south bank last year.

Ah, Sir Trev. The man who ITV sent to cover the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa. The night before Jonah Lomu turned Mike Catt and Tony Underwood into hamburger, he reported that the jubilant hosts wanted "the dream final", against England. No you dick: they wanted to play us because it'd have been a far easier match!

shaun.lawson
oh there you are. was beginning to think you were at the match with the rest of the aristos. :)

I have returned, to spend some time with the little people.

Only joking.

Only joking.

Turned the tennis on because England are getting pumped (nap).

About time too, the cartoons now aren't as good as they used to be. Toilet training and being fairly interested in sport, this must be like Christmas for you :2thumbsup:

yep sure is!! I feel like I have won the lottery actually. That's rather sad ain't it? I'm now starting to enjoy parenthood a bit more though..the first few years are just really hard work!! lol

Only joking.

very broad minded of you i'm sure. :)

this is a bit annoying, he's on the very verge of making the telling breakthrough but can't quite manage it. he really needs to keep his own serve safe 'cos the chance will come again.

shaun.lawson
Turned the tennis on because England are getting pumped (nap).

I gave that one up as a bad job before kick-off! It's only the U21s, and I don't really rate Pearce.

Meanwhile, Roddick has cruised past Berdych into the last eight. Like Djokovic, he's getting better with every match.

Easy tiger. :smiley2:

I think they were simply inferring that Wawrinka had sustained a much better level of performance than he might normally achieve throughout the first set. Or that's how I took it anyway. The point being that he was playing out of his skin and Murray wasn't coming close to his best.

I P Knightley
Murray 5-1 down at the moment. Familiar score for a Hobo. :10900:

Let's hope he takes a tie break 7-0 and then wins the 4th set 6-2.

I'll wash my mouth.

It's perhaps natural to think that way Shaun ( that the Brits are going overboard ) but since we tend not to pore over non-brits matches it is hard to tell. In my experience Timbo certainly caught some guys on 'best match of their lives form' who often slunk out without a wimper in the following round :57:

I P Knightley

I'll wash my mouth.

shaun.lawson
It's perhaps natural to think that way Shaun ( that the Brits are going overboard ) but since we tend not to pore over non-brits matches it is hard to tell. In my experience Timbo certainly caught some guys on 'best match of their lives form' who often slunk out without a wimper in the following round :57:

Really? One example that springs to mind is his defeat to Grosjean in 2003. The Beeb commentators spent the match salivating over Sebastien's performance - and at no point seemed to register that Henman was serving more slowly than many women! Sure enough, Grosjean was blown off the court when meeting Mark 'Scud' Philippoussis in the next round.

They always go overboard: it bugs the heck out of me at times. In Australia last year, Murray trailed to Tsonga, won a set, and the arrogance of the commentary, assuming victory was now inevitable, bewildered me. It paid no heed to how well Tsonga was playing, or how obviously dangerous he was. Sure enough, Murray fell.

Back to this evening: it looks rather like that last game was absolutely crucial. Murray gutsed it out, and now Wawrinka's got all the questions to answer. If Murray loses though, it'll be sodding Rusedski's fault: WTF is he doing in the commentary box? **** off back to Canada. :smiley2:

shaun.lawson
Easy tiger. :smiley2:

I think they were simply inferring that Wawrinka had sustained a much better level of performance than he might normally achieve throughout the first set. Or that's how I took it anyway. The point being that he was playing out of his skin and Murray wasn't coming close to his best.

Wasn't a pop at you my dear: merely at the 'experts'. :smiley2:

Ha! There's a Paul Hartley at 60 lookalike in the crowd wearing a Scotland shirt.

was he with griffiths's bird?

at last. they both threw that last point at each other but thank god for the boy making a complete baw of it.

Got a bit out of jail there, but we'll take it. He's not played that well so far but he's done it when it's counted.

yep sure is!! I feel like I have won the lottery actually. That's rather sad ain't it? I'm now starting to enjoy parenthood a bit more though..the first few years are just really hard work!! lol

At the very least it'll be different stresses you've got now with him. Next step is the JT's, has to happen!

Really? One example that springs to mind is his defeat to Grosjean in 2003. The Beeb commentators spent the match salivating over Sebastien's performance - and at no point seemed to register that Henman was serving more slowly than many women! Sure enough, Grosjean was blown off the court when meeting Mark 'Scud' Philippoussis in the next round.

They always go overboard: it bugs the heck out of me at times. In Australia last year, Murray trailed to Tsonga, won a set, and the arrogance of the commentary, assuming victory was now inevitable, bewildered me. It paid no heed to how well Tsonga was playing, or how obviously dangerous he was. Sure enough, Murray fell.

Back to this evening: it looks rather like that last game was absolutely crucial. Murray gutsed it out, and now Wawrinka's got all the questions to answer. If Murray loses though, it'll be sodding Rusedski's fault: WTF is he doing in the commentary box? **** off back to Canada. :smiley2:

Fair enough Shaun.............I'll get ma coat :10900:

shaun.lawson

Jamie Murray - you sly old dog! We never thought you had it in you!

Drew Busby !
Wasn't a pop at you my dear: merely at the 'experts'. :smiley2:

Your point a couple of posts back was correct Shaun.

a) the Swiss/foreign guy must somehow be playing his best ever tennis

B) Murray must be somehow just off the boil

and

c) a few games back they were saying that Murray was "looking at his footing" maybe because of a little damp in the enclosed court. Only Murray of course, not the other guy.

Anyway, looks like it might all be OK in the end :2thumbsup:

I P Knightley

I'll wash my mouth.

Ha! There's a Paul Hartley at 60 lookalike in the crowd wearing a Scotland shirt.

Bit harsh! I'd say he was ages with Hartley! That Scotland top is superb though, love it.

Murray has turned it around and is looking good to win the game. He has unbelievable spirit and a winning mentality that most could only dream of.

shaun.lawson

I'll wash my mouth.

As an aside, I'm not even sure Hibs are his second team. I think Wolves are.

Good to see Hartley back on again. Get the Greek/English team to sign him and we can have the real one.

shaun.lawson

Greg Rusedski is now saying "they have to do something about all these bathroom breaks". Bear in mind that he was notorious for these and other stalling tactics throughout his career, and very unpopular among his fellow players as a result. ******.

Bit harsh! I'd say he was ages with Hartley! That Scotland top is superb though, love it.

Murray has turned it around and is looking good to win the game. He has unbelievable spirit and a winning mentality that most could only dream of.

Okay, maybe not 60. He was more dishevelled than old.... :biggrin:

Murray his this bloke's number now, he's not losing this one....

I P Knightley

Good trick at the wee wee break. Let the other guy go off and when he's gone, slip out yourself. Stan had a little double take there!

Dr. Bapswent

Oh Andy, how does it feel to be applauded by people who think you come from a backwards, uncouth place and who only want to be your fan because you are actually very good.

If you were average you'd be no-one, even as British number 1 you'd be treated with contempt.

But your not, your one of the best in the world...so everyone thinks your the bees knees.

I bet its great getting Union Flags waved in your face.

Arise Mr Murray and join Sir Chris 'Mr Team GB' Hoy of the Great British heros.

I P Knightley
As an aside, I'm not even sure Hibs are his second team. I think Wolves are.

He certainly twittered about them so there's little point arguing that one.

Still, I'm not watching a football supporter, I'm watching a very fine tennis player.

Re the commentary. I was watching with the volume off and have only just switched it on. The sound with the roof closed is pretty impressive. Got a good listen to Murray's yell after that drop into the net.

shaun.lawson
He certainly twittered about them so there's little point arguing that one.

Still, I'm not watching a football supporter, I'm watching a very fine tennis player.

Re the commentary. I was watching with the volume off and have only just switched it on. The sound with the roof closed is pretty impressive. Got a good listen to Murray's yell after that drop into the net.

I know - it's brilliant! I've no idea how much conditions change though. Btw Ivana - what do you think about how Hawkeye's performing? There's been a lot of talk during this tournament that it's actually very inaccurate. I've seen a couple of calls it's made that've been ridiculous: and it could even be changing the outcome of close matches.

Carl Weathers
Jamie Murray - you sly old dog! We never thought you had it in you!

I'm just back in - what has the sly old dog been up to now? I'm guessing he has a handsome boyfriend?

:stuart:

shaun.lawson
I'm just back in - what has the sly old dog been up to now? I'm guessing he has a handsome boyfriend?

:stuart:

He has a stunning girlfriend - or casual lady friend, at least. No pics I'm afraid - but whereas I thought Jelena Jankovic turned him down a couple of years ago because, well, he just doesn't match up to her in the looks departments, this broad was something else!

Archived