Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baws!

Murray politely, and diplomatically, challenged the umpire's interpretation of what he'd said. What's AM done to upset you so much by the way? Genuine question.

Knocked back 3inagaydars homo advances or something.

Pr*ck.

Great game so far. What a fight back by Andy Murray from 5-2 down. But fair play to Roddick coming up trumps.

Done well to fight back but he wasted some big chances in that set.

Going to be very tough now.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Blew it big time. Going to take something special now.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Tie breakers aren't good for the heart.

Had his chances in that one. Roddick got v lucky on set point to Murray but fair play to the Yank, he's got balls of steel.

shaun.lawson

**** me - what a match! Roddick's tie break record this year is now a ridiculous 25-4. Incidentally, much earlier in the set when Murray was serving at 2-5, Roddick didn't challenge a wrong call which could've given him a set point. Shows how much HawkEye, and whether to challenge or not to challenge can change things.

Still a long way to go though. For Roddick to win the match, he had to win that tie break; Murray still can win though, no question.

Nucky Thompson

I take it shaking the clenched fists is the tennis celebration:smiley2:

Had his chances in that one. Roddick got v lucky on set point to Murray but fair play to the Yank, he's got balls of steel.

That's pretty much it. Both of them came up with the goods in the tiebreak but ends up being a bit of a lottery in the end.

Still think he can do this but if he goes a break down, he's had it.

I P Knightley
The beeb website doesnt tell me whose serving...did he just break?

The BBC text service is dismal with writing by a bunch of morons. It's also very slow in updating.

You're going to get a better update if you go to http://www.wimbledon.org and clicking on the Live Scores link on the right hand side of the home page.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
That shot Murray played into the net in the tie bresk cost me, FFS

The sort of shot that you expect him to put away in his sleep. Big error

I have to say, for someone who's been in the world's top 10 for seven years or so, Roddick's game is unbelievably limited

Dusk_Till_Dawn
**** me - what a match! Roddick's tie break record this year is now a ridiculous 25-4. Incidentally, much earlier in the set when Murray was serving at 2-5, Roddick didn't challenge a wrong call which could've given him a set point. Shows how much HawkEye, and whether to challenge or not to challenge can change things.

Still a long way to go though. For Roddick to win the match, he had to win that tie break; Murray still can win though, no question.

You're more optimistic than me. I think Roddick will pick him off at some stage in this set

You usually see Roddick battering balls long and into the net quite regularly, he is getting everything in the court today though, Murray generally thrives on forciing his opponents into errors and it's just not happening here.

I'm not confident for Murrays chances.

loveofthegame

Gutted. Very worried now. Murray will only do it if he can break and avoid it going to a tiebreak. The way Roddick serves and the way Murray is serving today means that in a tiebreak Roddick is immediately overriding favourite.

shaun.lawson
You're more optimistic than me. I think Roddick will pick him off at some stage in this set

He may well do. But each set is essentially on a knife edge - and if Murray hangs in there, momentum would then be with him in a decider. It's still too close to call I think.

shaun.lawson
The sort of shot that you expect him to put away in his sleep. Big error

I have to say, for someone who's been in the world's top 10 for seven years or so, Roddick's game is unbelievably limited

Totally agree. At least today, his volleying has been better: against Federer in the 2005 final, he tried to serve and volley, but just bashed everything instead of punching them away. No technique at all - and meat and drink for the Master.

He may well do. But each set is essentially on a knife edge - and if Murray hangs in there, momentum would then be with him in a decider. It's still too close to call I think.

If it goes to a 5th set you would have to fancy Murray after Roddicks five setter the other day.

To get to a 5th he is deffo going to have to break him. Just can't see how he's going to win a tie break.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
If it goes to a 5th set you would have to fancy Murray after Roddicks five setter the other day.

To get to a 5th he is deffo going to have to break him. Just can't see how he's going to win a tie break.

The bottom line seems to be that Murray isn't serving well enough. So frustrating

The bottom line seems to be that Murray isn't serving well enough. So frustrating

Very frustrating but it can turn in a second as we seen in the previous set.

Wouldn't write him off just yet.

shaun.lawson

Perhaps. Tie breaks are like penalty shoot-outs in many ways; a fraction of an inch settles them. Roddick's record this year is so good that the law of averages insists he has to lose one at some point - as he did against Hewitt the other evening. And Murray's stunningly improved serve gives him a chance in a breaker - plus Roddick will get nervous, as he did when serving for the third set.

they both look dead on their feet. the schedule over the two weeks is pretty brutal.

on a knife edge again, there's always a chance if he keeps holding serve.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Very frustrating but it can turn in a second as we seen in the previous set.

Wouldn't write him off just yet.

Being a pessimist, I already have. Roddick just seems to be in the zone as the shermans would say

shaun.lawson
Hawk Eye controller - sacked.

HawkEye's pish. I don't trust it at all.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
How is it pish.

And also, will the BBC please stop showing these stupid fecking slo-mos of peoples feet/ears/tennis balls etc. Goons

How is it pish.

Before it ****ed up it was giving an image of the ball that looked a lot closer to the line than reality.

shaun.lawson
How is it pish.

A lot of players during the tournament have been questioning it, big time. A few calls earlier in the event were just ridiculous - and if it can get one wrong, it can get many wrong.

A lot of players during the tournament have been questioning it, big time. A few calls earlier in the event were just ridiculous - and if it can get one wrong, it can get many wrong.

I didn't know that.So i take it the umpire has not got any view of the call to over rule.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Federer was a bit non-plussed today when a serve was rightly called out. Hawkeye had it millimetres from the line, but in his opinion it was out by a mile

And also, will the BBC please stop showing these stupid fecking slo-mos of peoples feet/ears/tennis balls etc. Goons

Not as good as their slo-mos from the other night.

Would the BBC please also sack Castle from commentating, he's a joke and loves the sound of his own voice.

brilliant game this from murray but just can't get the better of him.

just got to keep the head up and another chance could come.

shaun.lawson
I didn't know that.So i take it the umpire has not got any view of the call to over rule.

He can't. He can overrule a line judge - but not HawkEye. All players are bound by its judgement - but if its judgement is wrong...

Archived