Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Murray's timing has been really hit and miss all match. Comfortably below his best

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whats the score just now?!! I know its 2-1 in sets but whats happening? Stuck at work?

shaun.lawson
Murray's timing has been really hit and miss all match. Comfortably below his best

But there are several reasons for that. One is he's still improving and isn't yet the finished article; another will be what the Wawrinka match took out of him; and much more than both has been the way Roddick's mixed it up and got into his head a bit. If you can't predict what your opponent will do - especially if they're known for all-out attack normally - it can make things a lot tougher.

All about the mental game; all about psychology. Oh, and one other thing: Roddick's first serve percentage is 75%, which given how hard he hits it, is awesome.

He can't. He can overrule a line judge - but not HawkEye. All players are bound by its judgement - but if its judgement is wrong...

You would think there would some sort of rule for the umpire to view and have the final decision.

I watched the S Williams game yesterday.Found hawkeye brilliant in that game.Must admit though i have never saw a game where i thought it made the wrong call.

shaun.lawson
whats the score just now?!! I know its 2-1 in sets but whats happening? Stuck at work?

Going with serve late in the fourth set. Murray about to serve at 5-5.

shaun.lawson
He needs these last two games.

Especially as if he breaks, he'll be serving first in the final set: a huge advantage. A lot of players elect to receive first if they win the toss before the match, which makes no sense to me: because you're immediately serving second and under more pressure, and if you succumb to it late in a set, then you'll be serving second again!

another tremendous service game from murray. he's at least got the ability to hang in there and hopefully get the chance to break, whereas lesser players would have allowed roddick an easy 4th set win.

come on now, take him before the TB.

shaun.lawson

Here we go folks. Biggest tie break of Andy Murray's life coming right up.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

So close.

Unfortunately, a 5 mph second serve is going to win you nowt.

What a return of serve from Roddick.Game over.Quite a boring run of the mill game if i'm being honest.

shaun.lawson

Christ. Great match, great match - and if anyone says he bottled it, grrr... Roddick's serve was just too good today - but Murray will be back, and Federer will be dancing.

Malinga the Swinga
Thank the lord.

A Murray = loser

British Lions = Losers

British sport in general = Losers

well just not quite to be. it's been a fantastic effort by murray even to get through to this stage. roddick was just serving too well and murray was just a fraction off his best.

as ever at this level it always comes down to a precious few crucial points which can determine the match. murray is normally brilliant at coming through these points but i guess sometimes you have to admit that the other guy played too well.

roddick now has a 26-4 record in tie-breaks this year according to the commentary team and that's just unbelievable. there's no disgrace in losing tie breaks when your opponent has that in his armoury.

he's still a fantastic player and it can still happen for him in the future.

Malinga the Swinga
Christ. Great match, great match - and if anyone says he bottled it, grrr... Roddick's serve was just too good today - but Murray will be back, and Federer will be dancing.

And he bottled it. Negative play deserved nothing but a beating. Had his chances but would rather opponent made a mistake than take chance himself. He is, in the best tradition of Hibees, and Britsh sportsmen, a loser. With the exception of Sir C Hoy and his cycling teammates, British sport is dominated by hard luck stories, excuses, and good losers but in sport, there is no such thing as a good loser, just a loser.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Interesting point Roddick just made - that he was free to swing today because the pressure was all on Murray. I reckon that if Murray wins a Grand Slam, he'll do it away from Wimbledon and away from all the bollox

shaun.lawson
A Murray = loser

British Lions = Losers

British sport in general = Losers

Andya = never achieved anything significant in his puff.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
And he bottled it. Negative play deserved nothing but a beating. Had his chances but would rather opponent made a mistake than take chance himself. He is, in the best tradition of Hibees, and Britsh sportsmen, a loser. With the exception of Sir C Hoy and his cycling teammates, British sport is dominated by hard luck stories, excuses, and good losers but in sport, there is no such thing as a good loser, just a loser.

Bit ungracious. Roddick wiz splendid

shaun.lawson
Interesting point Roddick just made - that he was free to swing today because the pressure was all on Murray. I reckon that if Murray wins a Grand Slam, he'll do it away from Wimbledon and away from all the bollox

I agree: it's why I've always expected him to break through at the US Open first! Then the pressure will be off to an extent, and he can swing more freely at Wimbledon. But overall, he handles it remarkably well I'd say; Roddick's experience was a bit too much today, and people are forgetting that Murray's still learning how to play on grass.

His performances this event have been generally very good, but well below what Federer and Nadal are capable of - because they're all time greats, who've been playing semis and finals at Wimbledon and all Grand Slam events for many years.

Roddick played excellently but Murray didn't go for winners, he was waiting on mistakes from his opponent.

There was alot of longish rallies where you'd expect Murray to take advantage but he really wasn't trying to make it happen.

Didn't bottle it at all. Roddick was just the better player and that's the best he's played in a long time.

That's the problem in Britain. Unless the guy wins, he's a loser and it's total nonsense.

Malinga the Swinga

Run along back to your Hibee mates Shaun, there's a good lad. I am not, as far as I am aware, a pro sportsman. I am however a qualified professional with a degree, held down a job for over 28 years, married with kids, have no mortgage to speak of, all of which to me is quite significant.

He is supposed to be a winner, but when the chips were down, kerching, bottle crashed.

shaun.lawson

Heart of Midlothian, 1996 League Cup Final. Did we bottle it? Is bottling it always the reason when someone wins, and someone loses? Blinkered doesn't even begin to describe it.

Bit ungracious. Roddick wiz splendid

Boring to watch though.Dare i say it.Hoof tennis beats flair.:10900:

Malinga the Swinga

Roddick played excellently but Murray didn't go for winners, he was waiting on mistakes from his opponent.

There was alot of longish rallies where you'd expect Murray to take advantage but he really wasn't trying to make it happen.

Agree totally, negative from the start, yet the few times he went for it, he won the point. Pressure came on and he choked.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
I agree: it's why I've always expected him to break through at the US Open first! Then the pressure will be off to an extent, and he can swing more freely at Wimbledon. But overall, he handles it remarkably well I'd say; Roddick's experience was a bit too much today, and people are forgetting that Murray's still learning how to play on grass.

Genuine question (since I reckon you know a lot more about tennis than me):

Is Wimbledon still a grass court tournament, or is it now playing more like hardcourts? The surfaces looked rock solid

shaun.lawson
Run along back to your Hibee mates Shaun, there's a good lad. I am not, as far as I am aware, a pro sportsman. I am however a qualified professional with a degree, held down a job for over 28 years, married with kids, have no mortgage to speak of, all of which to me is quite significant.

He is supposed to be a winner, but when the chips were down, kerching, bottle crashed.

So you've never been one of the top three protagonists of your profession on the planet then? Loser! Bottler!

How much money has Andy Murray already made? How much have you made? Yep, you're right: what a loser he clearly is. :qqb017:

Malinga the Swinga
Heart of Midlothian, 1996 League Cup Final. Did we bottle it? Is bottling it always the reason when someone wins, and someone loses? Blinkered doesn't even begin to describe it.

Nope, we were expected to get beat and we managed to do so. He has far better game than roddick, better record against Roddick, yet the pressure got to him. Doesn't make him a bad person, just a loser.

He may yet learn, but that was a great chance as Nadal was missing this year.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Better man won on the day.

22 year old from Dunblane, Wimbledon semi finalist and US Open finalist. Loser right enough. :nah:

Chad Sexington

Feel so sorry for the lad but the better player won on the day.

He'll learn from it and he will eventually win a major.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
22 year old from Dunblane, Wimbledon semi finalist and US Open finalist. Loser right enough. :nah:

You forgot one thing which evens up the balance....

HOBO

Malinga the Swinga
So you've never been one of the top three protagonists of your profession on the planet then? Loser! Bottler!

How much money has Andy Murray already made? How much have you made? Yep, you're right: what a loser he clearly is. :qqb017:

So its all about money. What a sad little man you really are if that is what you think. Sit alone counting your cash, slavering on about how money matters.

shaun.lawson
Genuine question (since I reckon you know a lot more about tennis than me):

Is Wimbledon still a grass court tournament, or is it now playing more like hardcourts? The surfaces looked rock solid

It's playing very, very differently to some years back, when the court was relaid. But the ball still bounces a lot lower than on hard courts, and still skids off the surface in a pretty unique way. If Pete Sampras fancied nabbing a wildcard, I honestly think he'd still give quite a few good players the runaround on grass, simply by doing something different, and serving and volleying on almost every point.

Murray's game is, overall, best suited to hard courts - and hard courts are where the tour now heads to.

3inaBednar

amen brother:10900:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
He'll learn from it and he will eventually win a major.

I know we're talking about a different standard of throroughbred, but that statement's got Henmania written all over it. This has the potential to become a yearly pantomine

3inaBednar
It's playing very, very differently to some years back, when the court was relaid. But the ball still bounces a lot lower than on hard courts, and still skids off the surface in a pretty unique way. If Pete Sampras fancied nabbing a wildcard, I honestly think he'd still give quite a few good players the runaround on grass, simply by doing something different, and serving and volleying on almost every point.

Murray's game is, overall, best suited to hard courts - and hard courts are where the tour now heads to.

the grass oracle speaks, is there anything you're not an expert on shaun?

shaun.lawson
So its all about money. What a sad little man you really are if that is what you think. Sit alone counting your cash, slavering on about how money matters.

No, it's not all about money. But your comments are ludicrous, and do you zero credit. In other countries, they support their sportsmen, win or lose; here, it's just tall poppy syndrome all the way.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
amen brother:10900:

Hope your missus washed all your pants this morning. You'll need a new pair

shaun.lawson

Plenty. Though I think I speak on behalf of all of us when I ask: is there anything you are an expert on, other than talking out of your lovehole?

rudi must stay
Better man won on the day.

those two things are good for the bank balance but nothing else. Once he wins one of the majors he'll win quite a few IMO. I hope this atmopshere the BBC are creating isn't around too long it doesn't do Murray or the game here any good.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Man Knows About Tennis Scandal

The People's Chimp

Andya you are the perfect example of all that is wrong in british sport, and in britain, and especially scotland. Ironic that you lambast murray as being in the great tradition of British losers, yet fail to see that half the reason we are a nation of losers is because of morons like you who can't wait to see people fail in order to shout from the rooftops about how much of a loser they are.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
The BBC should stop the funeral music, it does nobody any good.

Up yours, I'm holding a vigil in my back garden tonight. Unless it rains in which case I'm watching Happy Gilmore and getting a chinese

Tommy Wiseau

That's what he does though. He plays the percentages game and draws errors from his opponent, rather than imposing himself and being aggressive - I don't think he'll ever be a Federer, hitting stunning winners left, right and centre. He's capable of hitting big winners, but it's just not his game, for right or wrong.

I'd like to see him be more aggressive as well, but maybe that will come with experience of these big occasions.

The US Open was always the big one anyway - let Fed take back what's his on Sunday. Murray will be back stronger for the experience.

Archived