Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

C'est la vie. Was gutted at first but these things happen. A round further than last year, another boost to his rankings and another valuable learning curve.

Now i can at least support Federer into hopefully (rightfully) cementing his place as the greatest player of all time.

It definitely was a learning curve for him and if you look through history, that's usually the way it works for the best players. In recent times, guys like Agassi, Sampras and Federer have all gradually taken steps before winning a Slam.

Same as you with Federer, hope he achieves it. The guy deserves to be acknowledged as the best ever.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we have a tennis expert on site, could he, or anyone, explain why you get two serves in tennis. In golf, you hit a bad drive or miss a putt, you don't get a retake. In football, you miss a penalty, you can't take it again. In badminton or table tennis, you get one attempt at a serve.

Perhaps if players only got one attempt to serve, then they would have to reduce the speed of serve and games may become a bit more entertaining. Watching one giant smashing the ball down at 140mph, the the other guy does the same, because less entertaining each year.

With 'lets' and first serves, you can have 4 opportunities to get it over the net.

With 'lets' and first serves, you can have 4 opportunities to get it over the net.

Why do you say 4?

What if someone hits 200 lets in a row?

An opinion based on watching the entire match and Roddick had the I will not be beaten head on today which to me meant he wanted it just that bit more than Murray.

John

Garbage but you're entitled to your opinion.

Murray should have converted his set point in the 3rd set tie break then it would have gone differently.

Wanted it more? I ask you.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Murray should have converted his set point in the 3rd set tie break then it would have gone differently.

As McEnroe said, Roddick should have served out the set earlier so that's kind of a moot point.

But I agree about wanting it. They both did, it was just a case of the more talented player losing to the better player on the day. That's sport I spose

Gavsy Van Gaverson

The turning point in the match for me was in the first game of the 3rd set. Murray had 3 break points at 0-40 and failed to take them.

It was a massive save from Roddick.

C'mon Andy Roddick go and shock the millions who think that Federer will win this in a stroll and more to the point make me 100 pounds richer. :2thumbsup:

What time is the final on?

On court at 1:30pm, plenty of time to get your pipe and slippers ready. :10900:

On court at 1:30pm, plenty of time to get your pipe and slippers ready. :10900:

Sorted :2thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

I'm really looking forward to this. I'll be supporting Roddick, and would love to see him at least trouble the great man - but it's such a bad match-up for him in terms of styles, and Federer has often chosen matches against Andy to showcase his awesome talent at its very highest.

10 years ago, Pete Sampras gave the performance of his life in the final, crushing Andre Agassi with the finest display of grass court tennis there's ever been. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Federer breaks the record in front of the watching Sampras with a similar display. Federer in three, though I hope it's a lot closer.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Come on A-Rod!

Anyone who picks his bird out of a magazine is alright by me.

As for Roger .... went right off him now. Up his own arse.

The Old Tolbooth

I reckon Federer in 3 straight sets also, he would have beaten Murray by the same scoreline such is his dominance.

shaun.lawson
Come on A-Rod!

Anyone who picks his bird out of a magazine is alright by me.

As for Roger .... went right off him now. Up his own arse.

Indeed! What I can't get my head round is despite it being purely physical to begin with, they got married and seem like good friends as much as anything. She seems to have been instrumental in helping Roddick get his head together after hitting rock bottom when he exited Wimbledon early last year.

When the match is over, have a look at this. I came across it earlier, and couldn't stop laughing. At Roddick's jokes, you understand - not the awful Jonathan Ross:

Indeed! What I can't get my head round is despite it being purely physical to begin with, they got married and seem like good friends as much as anything. She seems to have been instrumental in helping Roddick get his head together after hitting rock bottom when he exited Wimbledon early last year.

When the match is over, have a look at this. I came across it earlier, and couldn't stop laughing. At Roddick's jokes, you understand - not the awful Jonathan Ross:

He always comes across as a top guy and is very down to earth. Jonathan Woss is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, I find him hilarious. :hat2:

This is going to be an epic tie break if it goes to it.

shaun.lawson

Heh - have I jinxed him, I wonder? Ladies and gentlemen, we have a match!

vegas-voss

Well done Roddick making a fight of this if he can keep his serve up then he has a real chance.

The turning point in the match for me was in the first game of the 3rd set. Murray had 3 break points at 0-40 and failed to take them.

It was a massive save from Roddick.

That's a fair point. i can't remember the individual poins but Murray probably failed to be aggressive enough on at least one of them.

Nice to see Roddick taking the first set in the final, especially after having to fight doggedly to hold his own serve at 5-5.

Fair play to Roddick for winning that set, it's all about taking your chances.

Federer needs to step it up but if Roddick keeps serving like this, it's going to be very difficult.

The Old Tolbooth

Exactly what the final needed because if Federer was allowed to sink his teeth in too early then it could have been an anti climax.

Pleased it's one set all but that was pretty painful to watch because Roddick totally bottled that.

Harry Palmer

Roddick's bottle has gone.....

Fed will pulverise the Yank.

Expected Roddick to fold after screwing the 2nd set.

Hence me lumping on Fed to take the 3rd set at 1/3, now slightly anxious to say the least.

shaun.lawson
Pleased it's one set all but that was pretty painful to watch because Roddick totally bottled that.

He did - but Federer's winner on the first set point was borderline miraculous, and must've planted the first seed of doubt in Roddick's mind. Two huge serves later, and that seed will have grown: especially as volleying just doesn't come naturally to him.

Massive credit to Roddick for hanging in there since: but he'll literally have nightmares about that one shot for the rest of his life if he loses. To be honest, I'm surprised that sort of thing doesn't happen more often: bottling it is completely natural, and you need veins of ice not to. I imagine every single one of us on here have felt impossibly nervous on certain occasions in our lives - and when you're so close to your heart's desire, whatever that might be, you're bound to choke. In sport, it's all about whether the opponent is good enough to take advantage; and champion that he is, Federer did.

Expected Roddick to fold after screwing the 2nd set.

Hence me lumping on Fed to take the 3rd set at 1/3, now slightly anxious to say the least.

Any idea what Federer's odds were when he was 4 set points down?

Tennis odds are pish.

Harry Palmer

Fed will show his class and why he wears that guff gear.

japanjambo

Great match! C'mon Andy! He's nothing to lose now, so...just go for it!

It's pretty much all up for grabs. Federer's not playing anywhere near his best and to win the match now, he's going to have to break at some point.

Needs to get it together because Roddick's been the better player all match.

Harry Palmer

C'mon Roooooogggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr!

(What do you mean I'm not there? You cannot be serious!! That was on the line!!!)

Ah well, Virtua Tennis PSP awaits....

Wish Castle would GTF. McEnroe doing the Yank TV is pish.

shaun.lawson
It's pretty much all up for grabs. Federer's not playing anywhere near his best and to win the match now, he's going to have to break at some point.

Needs to get it together because Roddick's been the better player all match.

I agree - but still fancy Federer. Martin - in the royal box, d'ya reckon Mr Sampras will be reminded of his final with Goran in 1998? The parallels are quite eerie actually.

The Old Tolbooth

Not quite as good as last years final but still a cracking game nevertheless, Roddick been superb!!

Murray must be absolutely kicking himself right now.

Not often will you catch a below par Federer in a Wimbledon final.

Wish Castle would GTF. McEnroe doing the Yank TV is pish.

Definitely. You'd think Castle gets paid by the minute with the way he never shuts up!

I agree - but still fancy Federer. Martin - in the royal box, d'ya reckon Mr Sampras will be reminded of his final with Goran in 1998? The parallels are quite eerie actually.

It seems to be exactly the same, although with Goran you just never thought he was going to win it. With Roddick, at the moment it's 50-50%, but it all depends how Federer plays this final set. That's not something he's done well in the past year in any tournament.

He definitely choked at the end of Roddick's last service game for the set because he should have at least got a break point.

Still hope he wins it but if Roddick takes it, he's deserved it.

shaun.lawson

It seems to be exactly the same, although with Goran you just never thought he was going to win it. With Roddick, at the moment it's 50-50%, but it all depends how Federer plays this final set. That's not something he's done well in the past year in any tournament.

He definitely choked at the end of Roddick's last service game for the set because he should have at least got a break point.

Still hope he wins it but if Roddick takes it, he's deserved it.

Roddick should be so proud of himself: he's been fantastic, with Federer strangely passive, just like Murray was. Trouble is, if this is Sampras-Ivanisevic II, Federer'll not only come through, but he'll be back to win this the next two years as well! :hang:

Roddick should be so proud of himself: he's been fantastic, with Federer strangely passive, just like Murray was. Trouble is, if this is Sampras-Ivanisevic II, Federer'll not only come through, but he'll be back to win this the next two years as well! :hang:

With being so passive, I think Federer (like Murray did) expected Roddick's standards to slip especially considering how many times both of them have beaten him.

If Federer wins and gets to 15 Slams, his motivation for the game will be interesting (even though he says he wants to keep playing for a good few years). Sampras started to go downhill after he broke the record.

Stating the obvious but this match is now all down to nerve.

Archived