Wimbledon 2009 thread

djf

shaun.lawson

Two quick things: that's also the classiest interview I've ever seen a beaten sportsman give after leaving it all out there. I didn't think he could go any higher in my estimation, but he just did. Meanwhile, Pete Sampras flies all this way - and he doesn't even get to present the trophy?! FFS!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Sexington
Roddick is destroyed. Sure his 400k cheque will cheer him up though! :smiley2:

That was the best sporting moment of the year by a mile, well apart from when we done Hibs in the Scottish.

Great, great Wimbledon. Loved every minute of it.

Agree totally.

An unbelievable tournament this year.

Well, the Men's was. The Woman's was the usual pile of manure. :nah:

Two quick things: that's also the classiest interview I've ever seen a beaten sportsman give after leaving it all out there. I didn't think he could go any higher in my estimation, but he just did. Meanwhile, Pete Sampras flies all this way - and he doesn't even get to present the trophy?! FFS!

What a classy guy. And I agree that you'd think someone with some sanity would have thought that would be appropriate. Still all about "tradition" rather than common sense, eh?

Couldn't agree more, spot on attitude from him. Classy guy, will definitely be giving him support in the future.

shaun.lawson
Unbelievable. Wanted Federer to win but feel gutted for Roddick as well.

Sport is great but at times you can't help but hate certain parts of it. Roddick deserved that one, I just hope somehow he can bounce back from it.

It can be excrutiatingly cruel. Hearts fans know that better than anyone; so does someone like Jimmy White. So did Goran Ivanisevic, before he wrote his own fairytale. And that's what drives me so spare about know-alls who snipe at anyone who's just lost, come up with instant reasons why they've "let themselves down", and even seem to enjoy them losing. They do not have a clue.

That was the best sporting moment of the year by a mile, well apart from when we done Hibs in the Scottish.

Great, great Wimbledon. Loved every minute of it.

Definitely agree.

Loved watching Wimbledon for years but the last couple of years have been incredible. You don't get that type of entertainment many other places.

With the talent in the men's game, it'll only continue.

Roddick is a quality guy and the way he's acted in the last few days has been incredibly classy. The fact that Sampras did that, as well as all the other champions there, shows the respect that guys like Federer and Roddick command.

As I said, Andy Murray is a complete bottle merchant for not being able to beat a guy who loses 16-14 to Federer in the 5th.

shaun.lawson
What a classy guy. And I agree that you'd think someone with some sanity would have thought that would be appropriate. Still all about "tradition" rather than common sense, eh?

When Federer completed the career Grand Slam in Paris, the organisers got Andre Agassi to present the trophy to him. They get it; Wimbledon's organisers don't, and simply don't deserve the sensational tennis which gets dished up year after year.

shaun.lawson
As I said, Andy Murray is a complete bottle merchant for not being able to beat a guy who loses 16-14 to Federer in the 5th.

:rofl:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Definitely agree.

Loved watching Wimbledon for years but the last couple of years have been incredible. You don't get that type of entertainment many other places.

With the talent in the men's game, it'll only continue.

And it was a tournament missing Nadal! Imagine what it would have been like if he was playing as well?!

I'm kind of glad Murray lost now because we were given one of the great finals.

Highlight for me was obviously the final and the match under the roof, that was incredible.

Roll on the US Open.

It can be excrutiatingly cruel. Hearts fans know that better than anyone; so does someone like Jimmy White. So did Goran Ivanisevic, before he wrote his own fairytale. And that's what drives me so spare about know-alls who snipe at anyone who's just lost, come up with instant reasons why they've "let themselves down", and even seem to enjoy them losing. They do not have a clue.

Exactly, there's so many things that come into it. When you've got sports like that, you see how great you have to be because the standard is so high. But yet when you come up short, you are a loser. It doesn't make sense and it's pretty sad.

It ended up like last year, the guy who deserved to win, didn't.

Harry Palmer

I really enjoyed Wimbledon. I normally watch it but fail to get enthusiastic...Different this year. Murray playing well, Roddick playing better and today was the perfect finish.

The women can get to France.....uninteresting.

Federer is the best there has been. I thought there was a point where he looked as if it was getting away from him but he dug it out...True champion.

shaun.lawson
Exactly, there's so many things that come into it. When you've got sports like that, you see how great you have to be because the standard is so high. But yet when you come up short, you are a loser. It doesn't make sense and it's pretty sad.

It ended up like last year, the guy who deserved to win, didn't.

That's interesting. By about a sixteenth of an inch, I'd say Nadal was the better player in last year's final. Federer was always playing catch up, and Nadal's shot making throughout was astounding; Federer's only became so over the last set and a bit.

Indeed, at that point, I was delighted that Wimbledon's two epic finals over the last decade had both ended with, in my view, the better man triumphing. I don't feel like that today though, after the third gobsmacking showpiece in the last nine editions. And the '07 final wasn't bad either!

And it was a tournament missing Nadal! Imagine what it would have been like if he was playing as well?!

I'm kind of glad Murray lost now because we were given one of the great finals.

Roll on the US Open.

Think it just shows that it's in such a healthy state that they didn't even miss the defending champion. It's always good when other people get the chance to shine and if you think that you've had another step forward from Murray, a real comeback from Hewitt, Haas and Roddick, plus Federer making history.

The US Open is always a great one because apart from the standard of play, you always get a memorable atmosphere there. At times the crowd is nuts there, unlike Wimbledon.

Absolutely gutted for Roddick!

How many times is he going to come so close? Hopefully one day he will finally break his duck and win Wimbledon. However I feel this was his best chance.

Roddick's conducted himself as classy as always in defeat. But you could see how much it meant to him.

Just a quick word on Federer.... You are so far up your own arse you can taste your own faeces. You are a self-loving, arrogant, smug git and I wish you nothing but failure for you in your remaining tennis career. 15 printed on your gold trimmed tuxedos? Bugger off ya tool. That is all.

slashishere

That was some final, I had to pop out at 4-3 in the final set, I come back 40 mins later and they are still at it. Outstanding game, gutted for Roddick, what a true sportsman.

Just a quick word on Federer.... You are so far up your own arse you can taste your own faeces. You are a self-loving, arrogant, smug git and I wish you nothing but failure for you in your remaining tennis career. 15 printed on your gold trimmed tuxedos? Bugger off ya tool. That is all.

Shut up ya graceless turd.

Go blame Nike for the sartorial gaffs.

That's interesting. By about a sixteenth of an inch, I'd say Nadal was the better player in last year's final. Federer was always playing catch up, and Nadal's shot making throughout was astounding; Federer's only became so over the last set and a bit.

Indeed, at that point, I was delighted that Wimbledon's two epic finals over the last decade had both ended with, in my view, the better man triumphing. I don't feel like that today though, after the third gobsmacking showpiece in the last nine editions. And the '07 final wasn't bad either!

Last year was incredible and I was gutted at the end of it. Nadal's standard was better throughout the match but I feel Federer deserved to win because considering he'd been hammered at the French and was down two sets, he could have folded. But winning these two tiebreaks was stuff of legend and it said a lot about his guts as much as anything. I guess though like today, it was pick a name out of a hat.

How many times is he going to come so close? Hopefully one day he will finally break his duck and win Wimbledon. However I feel this was his best chance.

Roddick's conducted himself as classy as always in defeat. But you could see how much it meant to him.

I couldn't agree more with the final paragraph of your post.

I'm glad to say that I missed the last three sets of the final as I was out playing in a tennis tournament myself (I lost).

Undoubtedly, if Fuderer had lost we'd have seen him in tears trying to control himself and not throw a tantrum.

Shut up ya graceless turd.

Go blame Nike for the sartorial gaffs.

Sorry, I should have said IMO.

It's my opinion that he is a smug git.

Get over it.

Sorry, I should have said IMO.

It's my opinion that he is a smug git.

Get over it.

There's a time and a place to express an opinion. You obviously don't possess any kind of a natural filtering system.

There's a time and a place to express an opinion. You obviously don't possess any kind of a natural filtering system.

Aii, its called a messageboard.

Used to express opinions.

I choose to exercise that right to put forward my opinion now.

And you're not going to tell me when and when I can't do that.

My opinion is Federer is a smug pompus nancy boy.

Filter that. :2thumbsup:

willie wallace

Agree with you on that.Thought it spoiled the presentation.To receive the trophy with 15 on his RF tracksuit was arrogant and unnecessary.

Well said. Stick to your guns.

The Real Maroonblood

That sounds just like you.

:10900:

shaun.lawson

I absolutely get why Fed ****es people off. That bag and that jacket are a major hostage to fortune as much as anything, and a very real sign of hubris. But how many serial champions in sport have ever been as popular and well liked by his fellow players as he remains? And how many serial sporting champions have been bona fide geniuses (or genii?), which he undoubtedly is?

I say if you win fifteen Grand Slams by age 27, you can pretty much do what you want. Tennis has had a few graceless Champions over the years: Nastase, McEnroe, Connors, Becker on occasion, Agassi on occasion, Roddick quite often earlier in his career. Federer doesn't fit into that category. He's known for some years that his real opponent was history - and he's just beaten it.

Whatever - it's my opinion you're a graceless turd.

maltese jambo

Final was absolutly brilliant...Other players really stepped up to the plate in Nadals absense...gets better every year. Federer can do whatever he likes...he deserves it...hes the best.The woman on the other hand keep getting worse and worse and i don't know how they can even keep a straight face when they take the cheque for exactly the same amout as the men get for a fraction of the effort.

I P Knightley

The mate I was watching it with is not a massive tennis fan but kept saying it was unbelievable that anyone would think the ladies deserved the same prize money as the men. One set alone lasted longer than the entire final yesterday. OK, it was a bit of a special set and lasted a little longer than one or two of the men's matches from earlier in the tournament.

Brilliant stuff and Roddick deserves every bit of credit he'll undoutedly get for playing with such refreshing style over the last two games. However, I'd wanted Federer to win it and so am not gutted at the outcome.

Thought the trackie top with the gold 15 was absolutely naff, though.

The Old Tolbooth

That's exactly the impression I get of him too, he's so up his own arse it's unreal, Mr Chocolate (John Collins) springs to mind.

He's ****in brilliant at what he does though and no one can ever take that away from him.

Ray Winstone
I normally like Federer but I found his pep talk to Roddick at the end pretty patronising.

I thought that also.....quite enjoyed when Roddick half interupted him when he said 'I know what its like to lose a final, like last year' Roddick replied with 'But you had won it 5 times already!'

Federer didn't have an answer to that.

Having said that I think someone with as much talent as Federer has every right to be arrogant.

Just my opinion of course.

Carl Weathers
I thought that also.....quite enjoyed when Roddick half interupted him when he said 'I know what its like to lose a final, like last year' Roddick replied with 'But you had won it 5 times already!'

Federer didn't have an answer to that.

Having said that I think someone with as much talent as Federer has every right to be arrogant.

Just my opinion of course.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8135364.stm

Very start of this link - Roddick looks a wee bit miffed but I think Fed comes across okay tbh.

What can you say really?

I normally like Federer but I found his pep talk to Roddick at the end pretty patronising.

I think he was trying to be humble and polite, he didn't really say anything that other winners haven't said to the losers before. Thought Roddick acted a bit out of order by interrupting his speech, theres obviously some animosity there.

I P Knightley
I think he was trying to be humble and polite, he didn't really say anything that other winners haven't said to the losers before. Thought Roddick acted a bit out of order by interrupting his speech, theres obviously some animosity there.

I don't think you can jump to that conclusion based one one highly emotionally charged moment.

Other interviews outside of the heat of tournament would suggest that Federer is very gracious and respectful towards the other players and Roddick is an admirer of Fed.

The two of them were practising together on Thursday ahead of their semis. That wouldn't have happened had their "obvious animosity" been anything other than wishful thinking.

Tommy Wiseau

I don't think Federer meant to come across like a patronising arse when he made that comment, but it was insensitive and made him look like a ****.

Not as much as that tracksuit though. What were they thinking even giving him that to wear? Between that and the RF caps, Federer's sportswear alone has made me lose a bit of my liking for him over the last few months.

I'm gutted for Roddick, though, more than anything. His effort was like nothing else I've seen on a tennis court, and he deserved to win IMO. It wasn't ability that caught up with him, it was the extra court time he'd had over Fed.

Never mind, A-Rod. You might only have one major to Federer's 15, but when it comes to wives, it's definitely Roddick 1, Federer 0.

Tommy Wiseau

I didn't realise Federer had died.

If so, I agree. Very insensitive timing...

I don't think Federer meant to come across like a patronising arse when he made that comment, but it was insensitive and made him look like a ****.

Not as much as that tracksuit though. What were they thinking even giving him that to wear? Between that and the RF caps, Federer's sportswear alone has made me lose a bit of my liking for him over the last few months.

I'm gutted for Roddick, though, more than anything. His effort was like nothing else I've seen on a tennis court, and he deserved to win IMO. It wasn't ability that caught up with him, it was the extra court time he'd had over Fed.

Never mind, A-Rod. You might only have one major to Federer's 15, but when it comes to wives, it's definitely Roddick 1, Federer 0.

Exactly. Like him or not, its a bit hard to feel sorry for him when he's just picked up a cheque for half a mil and is going home to pump that! Liked the way the camera kept going back to her, Mrs Federer hardly got a look in.

Frankenstein Jambo.
Exactly. Like him or not, its a bit hard to feel sorry for him when he's just picked up a cheque for half a mil and is going home to pump that! Liked the way the camera kept going back to her, Mrs Federer hardly got a look in.

Exectly. I'd rather have 1 major trophy and be pumping A-rods bird than 15 and be pumping feds bird.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Exectly. I'd rather have 1 major trophy and be pumping A-rods bird than 15 and be pumping feds bird.

It really is a shocking state of affairs that such a popular sportsman has such an ugly bint as a wife.

Lettting the whole males species down IMO.

I P Knightley
It really is a shocking state of affairs that such a popular sportsman has such an ugly bint as a wife.

Beards are rarely top notch totty, though.

shaun.lawson

I'm told Mirka used to be cute when she was a player on the women's tour. Ah well. She's the power behind the throne, incidentally: when they came off for rain with Federer two sets down in last year's final, she gave him such a talking to in the dressing room: shouting at him, almost throttling him. It damn near did the trick too.

I P Knightley
incidentally: when they came off for rain with Federer two sets down in last year's final, she gave him such a talking to in the dressing room: shouting at him, almost throttling him. It damn near did the trick too.

Brooklyn would have given A-Rod a blowie.

shaun.lawson

I think Mrs Roddick is wonderful. Not just because she's ridiculously hot - but because you can see by her smile that she's a great person too. Throughout the final set, she couldn't stop smiling: she's obviously tremendously proud of how far her husband has come.

Anyway, here's a couple more tennis WAGs. Remember Guillermo Coria, who should've won the French Open in 2004, but suffered one of the worst chokes in tennis history, and promptly collapsed down the world rankings, to the point whereby he started suffering from the yips, and was unable to get a serve into play? Here he is with his Croatian wife, Carla:

guca4.jpg

Here's another of Mrs C:

carlacor2.JPG

And here's one of Fernando Verdasco's many bits of fluff from over recent years. The V-man was pumping Ana Ivanovic at one point late last year, the lucky *******:

camilla_belle_photo.jpg

Pete Sampras' wife Bridgette has something about her too:

Bridgette-Wilson-Sampras2.jpg

shaun.lawson

In snooker, 'Plan B' used to work perfectly for the late Paul Hunter.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

A-Rod is a lucky, lucky man.

08_brooklyn-decker_08.jpg

:2thumbsup:

Archived