Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh

Caley Ale House was previously the Haymarket Bar and before that the Haymarket Station Bar

Correct SL I remember it being called that in the 80's however it reverted back to the Caley Ale house so I'm guessing that was it's original name.

Seymour M Hersh

Does anyone remember the Bothy Bar in the Caley Hotel?  I worked there back in 1980 when the Clash were on tour and stayed in the hotel. Two nights at the Odeon in Clerk Street and private parties after them both. Brilliant nights and had the likes of Strummer and Headon having piggy back fights in the main lounge of the Caley at about 5am on the Sunday morning.  The 2nd night was more subdued and only in the Bothy Bar. BBC Nationwide (one for the teenagers) were filming the tour and the crew were there as well.  Salad days! 

is it still a bar?

I try to avoid the St James Centre

Don't think it is a bar now.

The St James Centre is to be demolished soon.

John mcCartney

Yes, Basin Street was the Jazz club up stairs. 

used to play there once a month with my band late eighties 88,89 iirc. we were`nt jazz,an indie band sounding like b52`s and pixies

no stage,all carpetted narrow venue which would`nt hold more than a hundred max...good sound though.

never forget one night when we played with gin goblins,the now departed vocalist mikey jacobs was brought into the venue in a coffin,brought up very narrow stairs by pallbearers(bandmates) and deposited on stage at the start of their set....darkness and candles etc

incongruous to say the least but great theatrics

venue and jacobs no longer with us

used to play there once a month with my band late eighties 88,89 iirc. we were`nt jazz,an indie band sounding like b52`s and pixies

no stage,all carpetted narrow venue which would`nt hold more than a hundred max...good sound though.

never forget one night when we played with gin goblins,the now departed vocalist mikey jacobs was brought into the venue in a coffin,brought up very narrow stairs by pallbearers(bandmates) and deposited on stage at the start of their set....darkness and candles etc

incongruous to say the least but great theatrics

venue and jacobs no longer with us

interesting mate

what was band called?

Cloisters beside the Illicit Still anyone?

Usually go there for a couple after the game, they have one of my favourite beers, Black Isle Porter, will be in there on Sunday

John mcCartney

oh,that was `the matter babies` chief

im allways a bit confused as to what my first gig at that time .either venue,calton studios or the pub/live venue venue that was situated at the `pubic triangle` stood on its own,ground floor level building iirc.....on the left as you head up from grassmarket ,adjacent to the pedestrian crossing

what was that gaff then?

Cloisters beside the Illicit Still anyone?

Is that the one that backs on to the church, or was a church? I've been in there once or twice when I've been home, nice we pub with good beer. You mentioned the IB, I drank in there mid to late 80s a lot. I miss the pubs. Appreciate them, they're wonderful things. :smiley2:  

Usually go there for a couple after the game, they have one of my favourite beers, Black Isle Porter, will be in there on Sunday

Christ, is it still there?

Didn't know that.

Christ, is it still there?

Didn't know that.

Aye, still there bud, great boozer with some cracking ales, look forward to going there after the game

Aye, still there bud, great boozer with some cracking ales, look forward to going there after the game

Were you a Penthouse man then?

im allways a bit confused as to what my first gig at that time .either venue,calton studios or the pub/live venue venue that was situated at the `pubic triangle` stood on its own,ground floor level building iirc.....on the left as you head up from grassmarket ,adjacent to the pedestrian crossing

what was that gaff then?

cas rock / lord darnley ?

Edited by the general

J.T.F.Robertson

cas rock / lord darnley ?

Used to frequent the Cas Rock occasionally when I was underage. My older cousin and his mates went there and would "look out for me". ;)

still there ... bought premises next door and is now twice the size and much brighter

The general knows his boozers!

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I see the former Bar Kohl that changed to the Sligh House has been renamed the George the IV bar.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

what was that gaff then?

Did your mob not support the mighty mighty Leatherface in the early 90s?

John mcCartney

i had left and went to london to play by the then crunchy,i left in summer 90 and they got a new guy in

altho i personally did indeed play with leatherface,i joined midway still and their 2nd lp was produced by frankie...tbh,i dont think he done a good job on that one at all
i joined them for that tour and to the end of the band`s sojourn of the 90`s....they have reformed with the original drummer,
declan,and knocking about now.
played with leatherface on a good few gigs back then,england and ireland,and spent time at sunderland at his gaff

i heard a session of theirs on gideon coe,radio 6 the other night which was very good but have never heard the midways on r6 which is a shame

and lord darnleys it was yeah!!!

i had left and went to london to play by the then crunchy,i left in summer 90 and they got a new guy in

altho i personally did indeed play with leatherface,i joined midway still and their 2nd lp was produced by frankie...tbh,i dont think he done a good job on that one at all

i joined them for that tour and to the end of the band`s sojourn of the 90`s....they have reformed with the original drummer,

declan,and knocking about now.

played with leatherface on a good few gigs back then,england and ireland,and spent time at sunderland at his gaff

i heard a session of theirs on gideon coe,radio 6 the other night which was very good but have never heard the midways on r6 which is a shame

and lord darnleys it was yeah!!!

That's a great story John. I remember Midway Still, I'm sure I saw youse at Reading or maybe Glastonbury around that time.

Off at a tangent, you'll probably know the boys from the Joyriders at that time. The remnants of The Cateran? They were great, saw them a lot

John mcCartney

i was fiendly with kai the bass player from the cateran,he lived at pilrig at the time......am i right in saying he is no longer with us?
im sure i read of a kai davidson that died a few years ago ?
i dont think i ever caught them live but i have a 12" of theirs and it still sounds good today !
one night i met kai and his brother at the green tree which was in the cowgate,he was a driver at the time,for an agency that dealt with the american bands that used to come over here to tour...that night he told me of a band that were comin over and he was goin to drive them for some gigs in europe.i remember him saying,`look out for them,theyre called `nirvana`" !!!!! he ended up being their tour manager throughout.

sorry for goin off topic here

i was fiendly with kai the bass player from the cateran,he lived at pilrig at the time......am i right in saying he is no longer with us?

im sure i read of a kai davidson that died a few years ago ?

i dont think i ever caught them live but i have a 12" of theirs and it still sounds good today !

one night i met kai and his brother at the green tree which was in the cowgate,he was a driver at the time,for an agency that dealt with the american bands that used to come over here to tour...that night he told me of a band that were comin over and he was goin to drive them for some gigs in europe.i remember him saying,`look out for them,theyre called `nirvana`" !!!!! he ended up being their tour manager throughout.

sorry for goin off topic here

Yeah I knew Kai boy D. He was the first Proclaimers manager! Lovely bloke who had his demons unfortunately. He did pass away a few years ago :(

• 1 month later...

I worked in there in the late 70's. Great place at the time but went down hill badly.

Seymour

I worked there in the 70,s as well. My Uncle ran the place!

What was the one near the Tron? Upstairs. Right opposite Gordons Italian place.

Mad hatters

Also remember Harveys in Lothian Road, 2 of my mates got caught for underage drinking, whilst me and another mate gained extra kudos by not even getting asked. We must have looked so much older with our bumfluff moustaches!

What was the name of the night club in the street behind the store in Bread Street?

Valentinos

• 11 months later...

Muscular Arms previously ?

Cephas Cellar for the under 16's at the west end ?

Cephas :wow:

Went there one night with one pair of pants. Mine.

Went home with three. Two, not mine.

To whom the others belonged to remains a mystery.

Think I enjoyed myself. Not sure :lol:

luckyBatistuta

Cephas :wow:

Went there one night with one pair of pants. Mine.

Went home with three. Two, not mine.

To whom the others belonged to remains a mystery.

Think I enjoyed myself. Not sure :lol:

You took people's pants home :wtf:

IMG_2553.gif

luckyBatistuta

Think I've asked this before, but my memory is getting worse by the day. What was the name of the club that you went upstairs beside the Playhouse on the Omni side.

Say What Again

Think I've asked this before, but my memory is getting worse by the day. What was the name of the club that you went upstairs beside the Playhouse on the Omni side.

The Nite Club?

getcontent.jpg

luckyBatistuta

Better than going home with crabs I suppose....

I probably resembled a crab trying to walk home, with the state I used to get in.

So you've been told I suppose?

Yeah, how do you know jonnopost-25326-0-98566400-1487347115_thumb.jpg