Edinburgh Night Clubs In The 70s/80's

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Morgan - one of my field agents has come-up with a name - New York, New York which he says was in the stretch between Milne's Bar and what is now Lakeland at the corner of Hanover & George St.

Thank feck this has been put to bed. :rofl:

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Hooch, the Kangaroo, El Cambalache and Big Beat were my faves. This is mid- to late-1980s.

Misery was a good club night ( apr for JKB today )

Thank feck this has been put to bed. :rofl:

:rofl:

That's how we feel too.

Off to bed now. Not had a decent nights sleep in years.

Morgan - if my other agents provide additional information I'll let you know.

First rate work old boy!

Thanks again.

luckyBatistuta

Stuart, we are 90% sold on this!

It all fits in - my wife thought it was an American name (Brooklyn she said), the area is spot on and, if it was around 1980-1983 then that's it!

Thank you so much Stuart!

Thank you so much Stuart!

So good I said it twice!!

Really appreciate that.

:yas: knew Stu would get it, well done.

The Hooch, the Kangaroo, El Cambalache and Big Beat were my faves. This is mid- to late-1980s.

All great nights with fantastic music you could really dance to. The Cactus Club was another occasional night at the now gone Lyceum Studio Theatre on Cambridge Street. Good music and crazy film projections of Chines and Eastern European film clips.

:yas: knew Stu would get it, well done.

Aye, he's some boy the jakeball :whistling:

He knows I'm only kidding :rofl:

Mr Lyon did a sterling job :thumb:

Stuart,

It's not New York New York!

Remember I said we were only 90% sure? 

Well, I have friends in the National Archives of Scotland [now Scotlands People] in General Register House on Princes Street. I contacted them to get final 10% confirmation of the name by asking them to search the Register of Business'. They have confirmed that New York New York did indeed exist but not until the mid to late 80's. This is several years after we used the place unfortunately.

Stuart,

Well, I have friends in the National Archives of Scotland [now Scotlands People] in General Register House on Princes Street. I contacted them to get final 10% confirmation of the name by asking them to search the Register of Business'. They have confirmed that New York New York did indeed exist but not until the mid to late 80's. This is several years after we used the place unfortunately.

Get stuffed Morgan.

Just accept it and move on for all our sakes.

:troll:

Edited by graygo

Get stuffed Morgan.

Just accept it and move on for all our sakes.

:troll:

Thanks!

Didn't ask for anyones help, just letting Stuart know as he has an interest in this sort of thing.

Thanks!

Didn't ask for anyones help, just letting Stuart know as he has an interest in this sort of thing.

I was jesting with you, probably should have added one of these - ;)

Oh Morgan :sad3: just when I thought we had cracked it  (I know you said you and your wife were only 90% sure) don't worry I'll keep digging and see what I can come up with that might give us the answer. Can your friend who have access to the Register of Businesses not look up addresses in Hanover & Frederick Streets for the early 1980s?

Oh Morgan :sad3: just when I thought we had cracked it  (I know you said you and your wife were only 90% sure) don't worry I'll keep digging and see what I can come up with that might give us the answer. Can your friend who have access to the Register of Businesses not look up addresses in Hanover & Frederick Streets for the early 1980s?

They tell me the Register became a bit sketchy after 1981ish. Not much interest in it.

Sorry.

luckyBatistuta

Stuart,

Wish I hadn't opened the thread again and read this :facepalm:

When will this end :ahhhhhhh::lol:

LB - suggest we let the thread disappear while I continue my search on a low-key basis to see what else I can come up with to answer this question.

luckyBatistuta

LB - suggest we let the thread disappear while I continue my search on a low-key basis to see what else I can come up with to answer this question.

I'm thinking Morgan and his Mrs were on a wee trip back home, maybe done the whiskey club on Queen Street and then a pub crawl around the city centre. At some point they went for a bite to eat, but being too intoxicated they can't remember where and this black/white establishment is just a figment of their imagination Stu.

On a more personal note, I liked the night club Dillingers on Kings Stable Road. I met my good lady there, arranged to meet her there the next week and she got knocked back for being under aged :lol: didn't stop us seeing each other though. Also saw Farley Jackmaster Funk and Dollar there, Dollar :facepalm:

Not ringing a bell with me, where was that?

Above the shop called Watches of Switzerland on Princes Street. You may have known it as Fire Island latterly Gabriel?

Edited by Morgan

luckyBatistuta

Above the shop called Watches of Switzerland on Princes Street. You may have known it as Fire Island latterly Gabriel?

aka Fire Island .. ?

Oh dear, now i have to admit i know where it is :lol:

What year did that close then? and i thought i was old.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

Oh dear, now i have to admit i know where it is :lol:

What year did that close then? and i thought i was old.

You are old.

It was my dad that told me about the place :lol:

what was the burger place on Princes Street .... Edinburgh Rock Cafe?

Upstairs?

Between South Charlotte Street and Castle Street. It was a hairdresser before that [late 70's/early 80's]. Think it is now the Easy jet hotel. 

Do you remember the restaurant on the corner of Castle Street and Princes Street called the Mons Meg?

the general

Upstairs?

Between South Charlotte Street and Castle Street. It was a hairdresser before that [late 70's/early 80's]. Think it is now the Easy jet hotel. 

Do you remember the restaurant on the corner of Castle Street and Princes Street called the Mons Meg?

yip

has Topos already been mentioned?

the general

Where was that then?

a further clue ... each table had a telephone on it so you could phone and chat if you fancied the look of someone

a further clue ... each table had a telephone on it so you could phone and chat if you fancied the look of someone

How long ago did this place exist?

I'm stumped so far!

the general

was the Aquarius in Grindlay Street before it became Topos I believe.

did you install the phones? hardly ever worked  :-)

was the Aquarius in Grindlay Street before it became Topos I believe.

So, when was that then?

I was the Dj at the Aquarius!  Made a lot of friends there - pies at 10pm so that you could drink till 11 or 12 (supper licence) David Essex - Gonna make you a star and Hold me close. Great atmosphere - I was also the DJ at Chameleon.

We made our own entertainment - parties from 12 . Streets were empty by 1am!! 

Stuart?

Name of an Italian restaurant at Churchill around 20-25 years ago. It was where the Clay Oven is now.

We think it begins with an R.

Had two more to ask you about but got them ourselves! 

Vitos - Frederick Street?

Old Orleans - Grindlay Street.

Edited by Morgan

Stuart?

Name of an Italian restaurant at Churchill around 20-25 years ago. It was where the Clay Oven is now.

We think it begins with an R.

Had two more to ask you about but got them ourselves! 

Vitos - Frederick Street?

Old Orleans - Grindlay Street.

Ravello?

Absolutely!

Thanks so much PTBCAL!

:thumbsup:

I was a postie in Morningside in the 80s for a wee while and for some reason I vaguely remembered it

crunchy frog

Stuart, don't you dare give up. This thread is fascinating for a lurker like me! Your tenaciousness is incredible!

Stuart Lyon

Crunchy - I'm not giving up and will be renewing my own  investigations on Monday. My field agents have been informed of Morgan's latest findings so they can take that into account. Hopefully we can resolve this sooner rather than later.