Edinburgh Night Clubs In The 70s/80's

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Mr Sifter - bit of both! No I have an interest in Edinburgh pubs and their history. I have info going as far back as 1724 that I have gathered from old newspapers and books.

Please change your username to Mr Pub!

Or "jakebaw" ...:cornette:

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cat's Pyjamas and Good Time Emporium at Abbeyhill. The Night Club and there was one above the Cav for a bit that was alternative. We used to go to one on George St you had to go downstairs to in the 80's. Can't remember the name of it. Westwoods on West Maitland St to start off. Tremendous jukey.

Edited by Jamhammer

This thread is making me feel proper old. We used to drink in a pub/club over the Waterloo Bar. Great views down Princes St. Punched a boy in the toilets in there for grabbing me Mrs boobs then legged it cos he was bigger than me. Mr Mustard's and Gatsbys. I fell down the stairs at the venue reekin when I worked for the post office. I was working Xmas night shifts at the time.

Too old for clubs these days but, when I'm out with the young team from work might end up in one for a drink or two. The main difference between then and now is you dont really have all the subcultures we had i the 70's and 80's. We were punks/goths/rockers but there was a massive rockabilly scene, alternos, soulboys, skinheads and the ska lot. All getting along reasonably peacefully. I agree that you can't beat a rock chick in the fashion stakes.

Everyone dresses the bleedin same now. Boring as.

Cat's Pyjamas and Good Time Emporium at Abbeyhill. The Night Club and there was one above the Cav for a bit that was alternative. We used to go to one on George St you had to go downstairs to in the 80's. Can't remember the name of it. Westwoods on West Maitland St to start off. Tremendous jukey.

Ah! Westwoods.

Downstairs boozer right?

Used to go upto the Lord Darnley at the pubic triangle most Saturdays to see the Rab Howitt band, always busy

Used to go upto the Lord Darnley at the pubic triangle most Saturdays to see the Rab Howitt band, always busy

The pubic triangle :rofl:

Ever visit the Fiddlers Arms when in that area?

This thread is making me feel proper old. We used to drink in a pub/club over the Waterloo Bar. Great views down Princes St. Punched a boy in the toilets in there for grabbing me Mrs boobs then legged it cos he was bigger than me. Mr Mustard's and Gatsbys. I fell down the stairs at the venue reekin when I worked for the post office. I was working Xmas night shifts at the time.

Too old for clubs these days but, when I'm out with the young team from work might end up in one for a drink or two. The main difference between then and now is you dont really have all the subcultures we had i the 70's and 80's. We were punks/goths/rockers but there was a massive rockabilly scene, alternos, soulboys, skinheads and the ska lot. All getting along reasonably peacefully. I agree that you can't beat a rock chick in the fashion stakes.

Everyone dresses the bleedin same now. Boring as.

Remember Achmed than ran Mustards?

His brother had Rakes at the Jenners lane.

Edited by Morgan

Ah! Westwoods.

Downstairs boozer right?

Yeah. Many a happy night in there. Sure I started me 21st in there. Black leather trousers and white boots. Ah the 1980's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember Achmed than ran Mustards?

His brother had Rakes at the Jenners lane.

Rakes was alright. What was the dodgy boozer opposite Jenners? Nutters went there but the tunes were sound?

Rakes was alright. What was the dodgy boozer opposite Jenners? Nutters went there but the tunes were sound?

The Dunedin maybe?

Sure that was the place that became Rakes.

Yeah. Many a happy night in there. Sure I started me 21st in there. Black leather trousers and white boots. Ah the 1980's

:cornette: black leather trousers?

The Dunedin maybe?

Sure that was the place that became Rakes.[/quote

Me Mrs thinks Ivanhoe?

MacDonald Jardine
The Dunedin maybe?

Me Mrs thinks Ivanhoe?

It was the Ivanhoe.

The Dunedin maybe?

Me Mrs thinks Ivanhoe?

Same  place I think.

Just remembered spending many a night in Bandwagon,  In Hanover Street I think, low roof that I'm sure the sweat dripped off.

Same  place I think.

Just remembered spending many a night in Bandwagon,  In Hanover Street I think, low roof that I'm sure the sweat dripped off.

Don't remember Bandwagon.

Where about in Hanover Street?

Don't remember Bandwagon.

Where about in Hanover Street?

I think it was either the same place or next to Fingers piano bar. Might even have been Frederick Street.  (it was a long time ago)

I think it was either the same place or next to Fingers piano bar. Might even have been Frederick Street.  (it was a long time ago)

Don't even remember Fingers!

What year roughly was this?

The Dunedin maybe?

Sure that was the place that became Rakes.

I seem to remember that downstairs at the Bruntsfield Hotel was called the Dunedin before it was the Kings.

Same  place I think.

Always seemed to get lucky there. It was downstairs that the dancing was and you are right about the sweat.

Always seemed to get lucky there. It was downstairs that the dancing was and you are right about the sweat.

Had a mate who thought he got lucky when he found money on the floor.

Single chap even now.

Strange that.

I grew up in Abbeyhill, left in 1976 or rather, parents left me. I remember, but never visited, Stewarts ballroom at the top of Abbeymount. For some reason it had a dodgy reputation for desperate older ladies & gents. The cats pyjamas, again I never visited it (I wasn't really a nightclub sort of guy) I remember as being the old wash hoose in Abbeyhill next to the Regent cinema. One of my earliest memories is being dragged along there by my mother, maybe as a 3 year old.

luckyBatistuta

yeah remember getting lucky at the Bandwagon one time!

must have been ealy 80's

good old days

Good on her for still being up for it at that age.

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face at work :rofl:

yeah remember getting lucky at the Bandwagon one time!

must have been ealy 80's

good old days

Trying to recall what it was called before the Bandwagon. Sure it was one word name.

Top of the town I think.

think yer right,also a few but cant mind the names,one was near the Regent bar (Montrose terrace) you went down stairs in to it and one heading out towards the Scottie in Northfield possibly called the Abercorn? and that tip down the docks called the Manhattan

think yer right,also a few but cant mind the names,one was near the Regent bar (Montrose terrace) you went down stairs in to it and one heading out towards the Scottie in Northfield possibly called the Abercorn? and that tip down the docks called the Manhattan

Is the first one the Cat's Pyjamas which was round the corner in Abbeyhill?

I think I was in Manhattan a couple of times, was full of hookers, was also called the Trade Winds I think.

Also Mistys in Portobello.

I think I was in Manhattan a couple of times, was full of hookers, was also called the Trade Winds I think.

it was round the corner in Abbeyhill just cant remember the name and your right about the Manhattan..hookers paradise and man there were some rough characters in there

Mr Sifter - bit of both! No I have an interest in Edinburgh pubs and their history. I have info going as far back as 1724 that I have gathered from old newspapers and books.

Well your knowledge is second to one bud, and it makes for a very interesting read ;-)

graygo, on 05 Dec 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

just remembered it was the Good Time Emporium at Abbeyhill

TmS0jM6.jpg?1

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Rock Bottom was definitely a burger joint at some point in its history. If you came out of l'Attache on the Princes Street/Shandwick Place side the entrance was straight in front and slightly to the right on that same bit of wide pavement. I remember going in RB steaming one night to meet up with a friend who was having a meal. Me and my mate had just sat down two minutes when a burger came flying out of nowhere and hit me square in the forehead. Picked it up and me and my mate had half each. 

Rock Bottom used to have a model of Alfred Hitchcock in it, as you went in.

Who can remember the name of a place in Hanover Street we think, in the section between Rose Street and George Street.

Dining place, black and white check decor, chicken wings, spare ribs, that kind of thing. Around about 1981-1985ish.

Wife remembers that we always went after work on a Thursday as it was buy one meal get one free. They handed out these leaflets in the streets to get this offer. We think it was a one word name but not positive.

May have been Frederick Street but leaning more to Hanover.

Thanks.

The Abercorn was at Piershill next door to the old Carlton picture house. My uncles used to drink in there. Its now a Domino's pizza place and perhaps split with a video games place.

Well your knowledge is second to one bud, and it makes for a very interesting read ;-)

Monsieur Sifter,

Could you please clear your inbox so I can send you a PM?

Thanks

Morgan

Who can remember the name of a place in Hanover Street we think, in the section between Rose Street and George Street.

Dining place, black and white check decor, chicken wings, spare ribs, that kind of thing. Around about 1981-1985ish.

Wife remembers that we always went after work on a Thursday as it was buy one meal get one free. They handed out these leaflets in the streets to get this offer. We think it was a one word name but not positive.

Thanks.

Garfunkels? Edited by rael11

Garfunkels?

Nup.

We have already thought of that. Garfunkels was much later than the place we are stuck on.

Thanks anyway!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Thanks.

The Penguin Bar?

Anyone ever drink in the Viceroy on lothian Road? Was the place to be seen late 70's iirc.

Remember the Viceroy but never in it.

My boozer on Lothian Road was Paddys down at the bottom.