Edinburgh Night Clubs In The 70s/80's

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

davemclaren
Just now, merrymac said:

Was that not because they had to supply a meal to allow a late license?

Not sure but seem to remember something similar elsewhere.

I think that was why.  Well remembered. 

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They used to hand out free pies. 

A bit trickier to find a pie there once it became Fire Island.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ll take your word for it. 😎

16 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Cream pies, perhaps?

John mcCartney
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

:clap:   sublime stuff

• 6 months later...
On 06/04/2020 at 13:03, Morgan said:

Thanks very much, I’ll bear that in mind.

Morgan

Fire up Google Street View and check out 29 to 31 Frederick Street. It’s now Miller & Carter. If you go back to the March 2010 view you’ll see Laing The Jeweller and Chiquito.

The entrance to Chiquito resembles the description you gave for the place you’re looking for - step up, angled doorway. And it’s on the right hand side going from Rose Street to George Street. Not black and white decor, but Chiquito or a previous occupier could have changed it between the early 80s and 2010.

I must admit I’m doubtful that Mrs Morgan would have forgotten gazing longingly at Laing’s window before going next door for the BOGOF scran 😉, but if it is the place you’re thinking of, all that’s left to do is find out what it was before Chiquito.

If, on the other hand, you’ve already been down this particular rabbit hole, a thousand apologies...

1 hour ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Morgan

Fire up Google Street View and check out 29 to 31 Frederick Street. It’s now Miller & Carter. If you go back to the March 2010 view you’ll see Laing The Jeweller and Chiquito.

The entrance to Chiquito resembles the description you gave for the place you’re looking for - step up, angled doorway. And it’s on the right hand side going from Rose Street to George Street. Not black and white decor, but Chiquito or a previous occupier could have changed it between the early 80s and 2010.

I must admit I’m doubtful that Mrs Morgan would have forgotten gazing longingly at Laing’s window before going next door for the BOGOF scran 😉, but if it is the place you’re thinking of, all that’s left to do is find out what it was before Chiquito.

If, on the other hand, you’ve already been down this particular rabbit hole, a thousand apologies...

Many thanks, Lee.

There have been so many suggestions on this one.  I am still sure the place I refer to, is none of the names mentioned.  :sad: 

No need for even one apology, you have tried to help and one can ask for no more than that.

Thank you, again.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone remember the name of a bar/nightclub on Regent Terrace or Blenheim Place from possibly 1990? I remember being in there one night & it was almost like being in someone's front room.

• 2 years later...
CocktailBarman
On 20/12/2015 at 13:05, Morgan said:

There was definitely a place called Spatz. Can't remember where it was though.

Spatz was a Cocktail Bar based in The Grosvenor Hotel from about 1980 . I used to work behind the Bar in there 

. It was based on the 1920s Cocktail Bar . One of the Cocktails I remember was a string of Pearl's lol  , We had a cool uniform consisting of black trousers and shirt with white waistcoat and bow tie .They  Started doing Disco's on a Fri & Sat Night which were very popular . The Djs were Stefano Bono ( Cosmic Gold ) and a Guy called Derek 

3 hours ago, CocktailBarman said:

Spatz was a Cocktail Bar based in The Grosvenor Hotel from about 1980 . I used to work behind the Bar in there 

. It was based on the 1920s Cocktail Bar . One of the Cocktails I remember was a string of Pearl's lol  , We had a cool uniform consisting of black trousers and shirt with white waistcoat and bow tie .They  Started doing Disco's on a Fri & Sat Night which were very popular . The Djs were Stefano Bono ( Cosmic Gold ) and a Guy called Derek 

Was Derek A Guy Called Gerald's brother? 🤠

6 hours ago, CocktailBarman said:

The Grosvenor Hotel!  That’s it!

Thanks.  👍

On 16/01/2021 at 23:22, Virgil said:

Morgan,

The name you are looking for is Media Metro,dined there a couple of times myself with my girlfriend at that time,

David.

I’m not sure that’s the name I’ve been after.

Thanks, anyway.  

@Stuart Lyon

Hi Stuart,

If you have a chance, could you please do a wee bit research into 'Media Metro' and see if its the diner I've been barking on about for years?!

Many thanks

On 29/11/2023 at 15:54, Morgan said:

@Stuart Lyon

Hi Stuart,

If you have a chance, could you please do a wee bit research into 'Media Metro' and see if its the diner I've been barking on about for years?!

Many thanks

Nae luck! 

• 1 month later...
Heather Thomson

I lived in Edinburgh 79 and 80. Used to go to a nightclub with lots of mirrors and gold fittings. There was a plaque that J. P. R Williams had been there. I can't remember the name but his death has reminded me. Does anyone remember the name.

• 4 weeks later...
stuart500
On 09/01/2024 at 06:06, Heather Thomson said:

I lived in Edinburgh 79 and 80. Used to go to a nightclub with lots of mirrors and gold fittings. There was a plaque that J. P. R Williams had been there. I can't remember the name but his death has reminded me. Does anyone remember the name.

Better late than never!

I think it was the Americana, later to become Fat Sam's Diner, at Tollcross.

If that's not familiar it may have had other names in between these two that someone else can fill in. 

Sadly building now demolished I think.

On 09/01/2024 at 06:06, Heather Thomson said:

If that was in the High Street, it might have been Claude's. Charlie McKinley had it although it wasn't open for long. The mirrors and gold fittings ring a bell though, as does the JPR thing.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, JWL said:

Charlie McKinley had it although it wasn't open for long. 

Burn down by any chance?

doddsyJR9

Being born and bred in Broughton, the Stage Door was a good shout back in the day. The Claremont Hotel, Phoenix too. But, had to be very wary of the Leith Hibs boys, who sometimes ventured up and down our way looking for a pagger. If going up town the Jurrasic was a good night out.