• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone ever visit Leeries Lamplighter bar in York Place?

Yep. Last time I was in was a couple of years ago when it was Lord Bodo's. It felt like one of those pubs where everyone was a pal and resented visitors.

Morgan - its me again. Leeries was in Dublin Street not York Place. It is now called Lord Bodos.

Ok then, I knew it was Dublin Street but is also on the corner with York Place.

Last few times I have returned to Edinburgh Lord Bodos looks closed and derelict. Don't think it has been open for years by the look of it.

Morgan - its me again. Leeries was in Dublin Street not York Place. It is now called Lord Bodos.

That's a bit picky. It is, of course, on the corner but yes the door is on Dublin Street.

Yep. Last time I was in was a couple of years ago when it was Lord Bodo's. It felt like one of those pubs where everyone was a pal and resented visitors.

It was like that when it was Leeries too.

That was around 1982 until 1989.

Leeries mid to late seventies was run by Mick Rileys (chair Assoc Hibs Supporters clubs)mum,little known fact.Was a good wee pub to start a Saturday off followed by The Highwayman run by my mum and my Aunt was in the Tryst at the west end of the bus station 

Illicit Still?

drank there occasionally.  Was in it on the day, with my late dad, Jack Charltons ireland team beat italy in New york in the world cup........The Bar went crazy...

Also remember Bentlys on the corner of Tarvit street/,Home street which i am sure had go-go.s in the 70s..........i was too young.,,They operated music downstairs mid 80s..   They had a Guinness night about that time when you paid 1p and got a pint.  Everyone was going out with Guinness glasses into the street.   Found 6 empties outside my folks stair alone.. :beatnik2: ..

Leeries mid to late seventies was run by Mick Rileys (chair Assoc Hibs Supporters clubs)mum,little known fact.Was a good wee pub to start a Saturday off followed by The Highwayman run by my mum and my Aunt was in the Tryst at the west end of the bus station

You know his son Robert?

not rea

You know his son Robert?

Not really, knew Mick well when he was in Elphinstone and running amateur teams.Met him the other week at Ed Uni ,hes head of estates or summat.

Sure Mick had something to do with West End club and other places in the seventies

Anyone mentioned the club The Living Room, on the Cowgate, the foot of Blair Street? It went during the fire. In fact, I'm thinkin it might've actually been called the Kitchen, with the Living Room maybe being a pub next to it?

Anyone mentioned the club The Living Room, on the Cowgate, the foot of Blair Street? It went during the fire. In fact, I'm thinkin it might've actually been called the Kitchen, with the Living Room maybe being a pub next to it?

My wife and I have, on many occasions, drank with Robbo and Dave McPherson in Montpeliers then moved onto the Kitchen and/or the Living Room.

Great times!

drank there occasionally.  Was in it on the day, with my late dad, Jack Charltons ireland team beat italy in New york in the world cup........The Bar went crazy...

Also remember Bentlys on the corner of Tarvit street/,Home street which i am sure had go-go.s in the 70s..........i was too young.,,They operated music downstairs mid 80s..   They had a Guinness night about that time when you paid 1p and got a pint.  Everyone was going out with Guinness glasses into the street.   Found 6 empties outside my folks stair alone.. :beatnik2: ..

Bentleys was once called the Office right?

Phone call home: "be late home tonight dear, still at the office"..

Worked a few times, then...

You can guess!

Bentleys was once called the Office right?

Phone call home: "be late home tonight dear, still at the office"..

Worked a few times, then...

You can guess!

Wasn't francos office bar was it?

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

I remember being in a dive of a place down Leith called Bubbles.

Had my 21st in Sinaras and my engagement party in the Cafe Royale.

Stag do ended up in Mr Mustards.

Used to drink in Champagne Charlies and the Three Tuns many moons ago.

I worked in the Cafe Royal.

Wife and I went to Champagnes every Friday and Saturday for many years when Dave Rankin, who used to own the Illicit Still, was the owner. Recall there were lots of Rangers fans drank in there and I think ran a bus from there. Do you also remember Just Charlies in Thistle Street?

Mr Mustards! Remember Acmed?

Met the wife outside Valentino's in 1978 she was in the queue as was I but I was pissed and didn't get in neither did the wife we ended up at the Americana when you had to sign in and be over 21 the wife who was 17 put down her correct DOB but still got in and the rest they say is history. Can anyone remember the boozer that used to be at St Andrew sq bus station I remember having a few drinks in there before putting the wife on the number 95 bus back to Melrose before we were married I'm sure it was always pretty brutal and a few paggers most weekends.

Highway Man?

Wasn't francos office bar was it?

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Mini using Tapatalk

I think it was called Francos Office bar yes.

The Cuckoo?s Nest was previously

Home Bar

The Office

Franco?s Office Bar 1976-80

Bentley?s 1999

The Stagedoor 2007 to 2008

Mr Pub!

The Cuckoo?s Nest was previously

Home Bar

The Office

Franco?s Office Bar 1976-80

Bentley?s 1999

The Stagedoor 2007 to 2008

was there not a Francos in Leith Street ... used to have gogos on Friday lunchtimes?

was there not a Francos in Leith Street ... used to have gogos on Friday lunchtimes?

Was it the one at the top end near Waterloo Place?

luckyBatistuta

My missus worked in Champagne Charlie's for about two weeks, her one and only bar job. I sat at the bar watching her for what seemed like an eternity, with tears running down my face, trying to get a head on a pint of cider for a customer...hope it wasn't you bud :lol:

My missus worked in Champagne Charlie's for about two weeks, her one and only bar job. I sat at the bar watching her for what seemed like an eternity, with tears running down my face, trying to get a head on a pint of cider for a customer...hope it wasn't you bud :lol:

Nup.

Lager man me.

Do you remember a barmaid called Zoe?

luckyBatistuta

Nup.

Lager man me.

Do you remember a barmaid called Zoe?

Nup, only drank in that pub, while she was working there.

Diane was the barmaid that I knew there, died pretty young unfortunately.

Don't know who that is mate.

Paradise Palms has been

Negotiants

Tony?s Bar

Tony?s Euro Disco 1980

Tony?s Cellar Bar  1976

It had go-gos when it was Tony's Cellar Bar as a mate had his stag do in there

Morgan - hope this helps

Penny Black was the Whip and Saddle

Kings Bar  do you mean the Kings Arms in Tarvit St - if so it was the Lochrin Arms

Conan Doyle was Buchan?s Bar circa 1965 to 1970

Then became the York Bar circa 1976

Morgan - hope this helps

Kings Bar  do you mean the Kings Arms in Tarvit St - if so it was the Lochrin Arms

Thanks anyway but I was just asking who had visited these places. I know all about these places I can assure you!

Meant the Kings bar underneath the Bruntsfield Hotel.

How about Bennets at Tollcross?

All the five pubs in Morningside?

Who has used these places?

Born and brought up in Leamington Ter. they were all my locals. Worked in Bennets in Tollcross late 70s. Drank downstairs in the Bruntsfield 13 and up. Links Hotel, Orang Grove (Park hotel) next door. All the pubs in Tollcross and all of Morningside from the Falcon mid 80s to the other Bennets  All were my locals from 68 to 89. What was the name off the dance hall half way down Morniningside on the left? The live band was Cathy and the Kentones. I hate when that happens. Getting old.

Born and brought up in Leamington Ter. they were all my locals. Worked in Bennets in Tollcross late 70s. Drank downstairs in the Bruntsfield 13 and up. Links Hotel, Orang Grove (Park hotel) next door. All the pubs in Tollcross and all of Morningside from the Falcon mid 80s to the other Bennets  All were my locals from 68 to 89. What was the name off the dance hall half way down Morniningside on the left? The live band was Cathy and the Kentones. I hate when that happens. Getting old.

Was the dance hall where Waitrose is now?

My mum and dad met there.

Did you drink in the Cannys?

Christ!

You drank in pubs when you were 12 years old?

Worse than me!

Christ!

You drank in pubs when you were 12 years old?

Worse than me!

I looked older that I was and my older brother, when going to the pub, would tell my mum and dad he was going for a game of football in the meadows or the links and was often told to take me. :2thumbsup:  I drank in the Cannys of and on from 1970 till I left in 89.

Just came to me. The dance hall was The Plaza. Don't know what it is now because i'm not there all though this thread makes me wish I was :sad3: When people ask me what I miss I always tell them the pubs and Hearts

Edited by niblick1874

Talk-o-the-North

Rock Bottom was definitely a burger joint at some point in its history. If you came out of l'Attache on the Princes Street/Shandwick Place side the entrance was straight in front and slightly to the right on that same bit of wide pavement. I remember going in RB steaming one night to meet up with a friend who was having a meal. Me and my mate had just sat down two minutes when a burger came flying out of nowhere and hit me square in the forehead. Picked it up and me and my mate had half each.

You're right about Rock Bottom - I think it's now the Rat Pack piano bar place.

luckyBatistuta

Yesterdays ?

That sounds familiar bud, think that's the one...Cheers

What about the Red Lion and Old Salt on Leith walk, used to pile in there before,during and after work...some right states :lol:

J.T.F.Robertson

Morgan - hope this helps

Haven't thought about the Whip and Saddle in yonks. Just along from the Guildford?

bubbles.....lways seemed to get a taxi home from there, must have openned late.

Champagne charlies....a real name from the past....going there, suited and booted as a teenageer........

How about Bennets at Tollcross?

All the five pubs in Morningside?

Who has used these places?

i drank in most of the 1980s Tollcross Bars at one time.  i was never mad on the 3 or 4 morningside boozers, such as the merlin, cannymans, hermitage or Bennets.............

Brilliant thread. It's got me wondering though...is Stuart just really interested in the history of Edinburgh pubs...or is he just a jakebaw ;-)

Mr Sifter - bit of both! No I have an interest in Edinburgh pubs and their history. I have info going as far back as 1724 that I have gathered from old newspapers and books.

Brilliant thread. It's got me wondering though...is Stuart just really interested in the history of Edinburgh pubs...or is he just a jakebaw ;-)

:rofl: think he's a Super lager type of chappy.

Or Carlsberg special!

Hope this thread keeps going.

You a bevvy man Sifter?