Edinburgh Night Clubs In The 70s/80's

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

The Antiquary. We all went there because it was the first pub selling this new fancy stella beer.

The Marrs Bar. Once saw Ken Buchannan that drunk he fell of the bar stool.

Cotters Houff. Dougie the bouncer in the bow tie.

Gatsby's. Glass top bar with 1p/2p/5p under the glass.

Beau brummel.lGreat for a Saturday afternoon session in the summer.

Rakes. Ran by a wee guy called Joe and his wife Ann..

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Antiquary. We all went there because it was the first pub selling this new fancy stella beer.

Marrs bar run by Archie Marr. Wee bit light on his feet that fellow!

Rakes, ran by the brother of Achmed who had Mister Mustards.

Cottars Howff, now Milnes. Great boozer.

Antiquary, watched Band Aid there!

Sawdust Caesar

I drank there a lot but I'd forgotten all about that, thanks for the wee memory flashback. There used to be an older barmaid in there called Alexis, bit of a battleaxe who I was a bit scared off, I always remember her wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Wine me, dine me, sixty-nine me." 

The Treasurer

Anyway, my place in Hanover Street?

My wife and I have decided it was a single name but plural.

Maybe!!

Maybe had a Z in it or started with a C.

WHO KNOWS?

Club 30 ?

What was the name of the club on 3 floors at Haymarket Palmerston Place ?

Was it called Spatz?

It rings a bell but when I googled it it comes up gastric balloon surgery.

Was it called Spatz?

It rings a bell but when I googled it it comes up gastric balloon surgery.

There was definitely a place called Spatz. Can't remember where it was though.

Seymour M Hersh

Can anyone remember what the name of the bar (with dance floor) come club in the King James Hotel was called?  I'm not sure if it was the same time but the upstairs bit was called The Boston Bean Company at one point. The entrance was just to the right of the Leith Street entrance to the St Jims Centre.

Can anyone remember what the name of the bar (with dance floor) come club in the King James Hotel was called? I'm not sure if it was the same time but the upstairs bit was called The Boston Bean Company at one point. The entrance was just to the right of the Leith Street entrance to the St Jims Centre.

Sinatra's?

Great thread, some of my faves, pubswise Spatz, Gatsbys, The Bandwagon, Ilicit Still, Burnt Post, Charlie Parkers in George St, Refreshers, Bull n Bush (met my wife there) Lord Toms, The Pivot on a Tuesday! Cafe Royal, Jolly Judge and I dare say a host of others not coming to mind.

Clubs, Fagens, Flannigans, West End Club, one of the guys used to take his Northern Soul records there and I wore my big grey bags also the Aquarius that played both N Soul and punk (mind YMD came in one night and it all kicked off) Tiffanys (Saw Martha & Muffins there), Cinderellas, Annabel's, Clouds, the Cav, Buster Browns though looking back poseurs, Madhatters, and the whore house aka the Manhattan at the docks, saw saw some sights there as the pro`s came off their shift for a boogie, some paggers as well. And Pipers.

Yep got knocked back where ever I went but some good memories as well!

Edited by Turkishcap

The Valves. I used to work beside their bass player. A nicer guy you will not find anywhere.

Back on topic I used to frequent a bar with my bursd in William Street that had different levels and wee intimate alcoves but I just cannot remember the name of it. This would be in the mid seventies.

Anyone ?

Le Bistro (now Teuchters).

Edited by Auld Reekin'

scott herbertson

weird to think my grandfather, who was in the Black Watch in the first world war, was a bouncer at the New Cavendish, in the 40s which became clouds eventually where I turned up on my 21st in 1977.

weird to think my grandfather, who was in the Black Watch in the first world war, was a bouncer at the New Cavendish, in the 40s which became clouds eventually where I turned up on my 21st in 1977.

My mum and dad met there in the mid 40s and all their 3 siblings (all boys) met their wives there. I met mine in 1974.

Edited by niblick1874

The Valves. I used to work beside their bass player. A nicer guy you will not find anywhere.

Back on topic I used to frequent a bar with my bursd in William Street that had different levels and wee intimate alcoves but I just cannot remember the name of it. This would be in the mid seventies.

Anyone ?

is it not Berts Bar now

The Treasurer

Anyone ?

Remember it as Bunny's, always an after work favourite when I worked in Walker Street .

I will part ignore this cos I cannot be arsed re internet wind ups.

Well said. :spoton:

Pointless comment from him.

Some folk eh?

That is the place. I remember the tree as well.

Thanks guys.

Leave the boozers names to Stuart.

Honestly, he knows them all.

No wonder he gets called Jakebaw!

:)

Seymour M Hersh

Used to drink with friends after games in the Caledonian Ale House. Had a Jazz venue upstairs iirc. Remember seeing a Rangers fan getting laid out by an Aberdeen casual circa 86/7. Great boozer especially before the moved the bar to the back wall.

Shanks said no

it was Stallions at one point

That's been bugging me all day, describing to work colleagues a bar you had to sign into with scantily clad women spread over 3 floors got me some unusual looks!

Stallions!!!!!

Anyone drink in the Belhaven in Morningside?

Or "wee" Bennets?

Yep. I would go on pub crawls myself knowing I would know people in the pubs and when I would do the Morningside one I would pay a visit to there.

Can anyone remember what the name of the bar (with dance floor) come club in the King James Hotel was called? I'm not sure if it was the same time but the upstairs bit was called The Boston Bean Company at one point. The entrance was just to the right of the Leith Street entrance to the St Jims Centre.

It was called Cagneys

Yep. I would go on pub crawls myself knowing I would know people in the pubs and when I would do the Morningside one I would pay a visit to there.

Roughly, where are you from?

Used to drink with friends after games in the Caledonian Ale House. Had a Jazz venue upstairs iirc. Remember seeing a Rangers fan getting laid out by an Aberdeen casual circa 86/7. Great boozer especially before the moved the bar to the back wall.

The Caley ale house had another name about 30ish years ago.

Knew a Hibs thug who's dad owned it then.

Anyone remember the pubs name?

Talk-o-the-North

The Caley ale house had another name about 30ish years ago.

Knew a Hibs thug who's dad owned it then.

Anyone remember the pubs name?

Blue Lagoon?

Roughly, where are you from?

Leamington Terrace, From the age of 21 I moved around but always drank around there.

Edited by niblick1874

Blue Lagoon?

No, you're thinking of the Caley Sample Room on Angle Park Terrace; The Caley Ale House was immediately to the right of Haymarket station, as it used to be.

Shanks said no

No, you're thinking of the Caley Sample Room on Angle Park Terrace; The Caley Ale House was immediately to the right of Haymarket station, as it used to be.

Was it called Basin St or something similar?

Can anyone remember what the name of the bar (with dance floor) come club in the King James Hotel was called?  I'm not sure if it was the same time but the upstairs bit was called The Boston Bean Company at one point. The entrance was just to the right of the Leith Street entrance to the St Jims Centre.

Top O' the Walk??

Great thread, some of my faves, pubswise Spatz, Gatsbys, The Bandwagon, Ilicit Still, Burnt Post, Charlie Parkers in George St, Refreshers, Bull n Bush (met my wife there) Lord Toms, The Pivot on a Tuesday! Cafe Royal, Jolly Judge and I dare say a host of others not coming to mind.

Clubs, Fagens, Flannigans, West End Club, one of the guys used to take his Northern Soul records there and I wore my big grey bags also the Aquarius that played both N Soul and punk (mind YMD came in one night and it all kicked off) Tiffanys (Saw Martha & Muffins there), Cinderellas, Annabel's, Clouds, the Cav, Buster Browns though looking back poseurs, Madhatters, and the whore house aka the Manhattan at the docks, saw saw some sights there as the pro`s came off their shift for a boogie, some paggers as well. And Pipers.

Yep got knocked back where ever I went but some good memories as well!

you had to spoil it by mentioning Pipers                      that's where I met my missus!!!!  Actually she had just finished a shift at the Abercorn, does that count as a club as it always had a disco at the weekends 

Seymour M Hersh

Top O' the Walk??

That was in the St Jim's centre was it not? Earlier poster said Sinatra's and that certainly rings a bell. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh