Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Andyeyespy

Yip

So if u lower ur ball flight and penitrate the flight.

185 is very achievable with a 7 iron.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andyeyespy

Mp32 mizuno blades, still loved my callaway x18 cavity backs but launch was too high

It's not his biggest hits. It's an average hit in standard conditions (calm day, normal firmness). His 2014 average drive was 310 yards so those numbers are probably about right.

Andyeyespy

I'd put money on the guy with the huge back and beer belly over the guy with a slight frame and six pack.

Need get all the power and weight into it

Some slightly more up to date stats for McIlroy (2012). Only about 5 yards difference. 

http://www.golf.com/equipment/what-i-play-rory-mcilroy-2012-us-open

IRONS: Titleist 712MB (3-9) with Project X 7.0 shafts, 1? strong
3-iron: 230 yards
4-iron: 217 yards
5-iron: 205 yards
6-iron: 190 yards
7-iron: 178 yards
8-iron: 165 yards
9-iron: 150 yards
RORY SAYS: ?I put these in play at the 2011 Dunhill Links. Slightly stiffer shafts than my previous ones reduce my draw slightly and increase ball speed 2-3 mph, for slightly longer distance and a stronger, more penetrating flight.?

Edited by Ray Gin

Andyeyespy

There is no way he only averages 130 with a Pitching wedge.

For u to believe those stats u mustn't be getting ur wedge even close to that?

He hits a very long ball As we all know

Andyeyespy

Well if I hit my 7 iron and u hit ur 4 iron to the green, and u get closer to the flag U win.

Cause that's all that matters, whatever gets the best results.

Mid 30s. No mobility issues. Capable of hitting 300+ yard drives.

If you are out-hitting Mcilroy, fair play to you. But it's certainly not normal distances an amateur should be hitting!

Edited by Ray Gin

Andyeyespy

With ur 300+ yard drives and Rory going by ur post is only averaging 305

Ur out driving one of the best drivers of the ball on tour

With ur 300+ yard drives and Rory going by ur post is only averaging 305

Ur out driving one of the best drivers of the ball on tour

Rory's capable of 310 on average. I hit 300 once a round. Average more like 260. Edited by Ray Gin

Andyeyespy

Only a matter of time before u beat ur new personal best then of 81.

Good luck

From one golfer to another

Andyeyespy

Only a matter of time before u beat ur new personal best then of 81.

Good luck

From one golfer to another

:lol: If only I could hit my irons straight, not chunk or thin chips, and not miss 4 foot putts, I'd be sorted.

Andyeyespy

I'm in the process of learning how to play dynamic golf.

The extra distance and compression that u put on the ball is amazing.

But when it goes wrong it can be a huge hook with the irons.

Samuel Camazzola

Dilemma

I play with a taylormade 2.0 superfast burner tp and just got my hands on a Cleveland classic xl (Not a custom)

I tried the Cleveland for the first time today and found it to be very closed.

Now my bad shot is a slice and found the cleveland impossible to slice.

To the point though where I struggled to play a cut.

I challenged the other guys to hit a slice or cut and one smacked it up the middle (something I couldn't) and the other hooked it.

Anyone else play Cleveland?

I use a Cleveland Black CG, 9 degree with s shift and hit it a dream. Got the 3 wood also with an inch added to the shift and it's great off the deck.

Also have a Classic driver but not the XL version. Hit it well but as consistent as the CG. Usually fades if I don't quite catch it but I think it's down to the shaft needing to be longer.

What model of shaft is on yours?

Andyeyespy

It's cool

Was purely down to the fact that I'm used to playing with my driver that was 5* open.

Had another round with the Cleveland and I've never hit so many fairways.

It's a stiff but still on the look out for an X stiff

scots civil war

finished eh,why dont he just use a three wood /custom driver hybrid off the tee nowadays

off to leven in a minute,hope the wind is manageable over there

Edited by scots civil war

Was meant to be playing The Woll in the borders on Saturday. Had to sack it due to monsoon conditions. :(

Bit of rain I can deal with, but 50mph winds = nae chance

hmfc_liam06

Heading out tonight, first round since the day of the dreaded shanks, apprehensive to say the least!

hmfc_liam06

Ahh the shanks. Make sure your weight isn't shifting forward on to your toes, and your hands further out from your body, during your swing. A good drill I found to counter this was to deliberately line up your ball with the heel of your club at setup and try and then hit the ball with the toe of your club. 

I tried a few things out tonight, one of them was actually the opposite of what you said. I lined the ball up nearer the toe and it worked a treat. Hopefully onto something.

3 birdies tonight. Lipped out for 4 more.. Actually played well. However lost the tie on the 17th. He played very well. I was level par after 11 and 1 down...lol

I tried a few things out tonight, one of them was actually the opposite of what you said. I lined the ball up nearer the toe and it worked a treat. Hopefully onto something.

Yeah the suggestion I made is more of a drill to practice at the range to get you in the habit of stopping your hands/weight from drifting out from your body. Once you've stopped this from happening you should then be able to line up with the ball in the middle of the club normally. Lining up with the toe consistently during your round just means there's a high chance that if you actually swing correctly, you'll hit a duff shot off exactly where you had it lined up.

hmfc_liam06

A full 18 in tonight with only one shank off the tee which was the first hole, massive improvement all round though the chipping was suspect as times. Managed to get round level par (net).

PsychocAndy

Just to say, my 84 year old Uncle Jimmy just won the Gogarburn Golf club Championship today. He beat a bloke 60 years younger than him in the semi's and played 2 rounds today.

I must admit I miss the odd game of golf.

These old guys are steady!

Hit every fairway and aren't too long to lose a ball.

Would rather play a guy in his 20s than a guy in his 80s

larbertjambo

Just to say, my 84 year old Uncle Jimmy just won the Gogarburn Golf club Championship today. He beat a bloke 60 years younger than him in the semi's and played 2 rounds today.

I must admit I miss the odd game of golf.

larbertjambo

My father in law plays there too. 82 years old and still plays at gogarburn and pitrevie.he,s getting a treat tomorrow as taking him to the fairmont st andrews, playing the kittocks course. Use buggys there so bit easier for him. Weather looking good too.

larbertjambo

Made an right hibs of trying to post there. Bit like my round on saturday. First ever medal was very poor.frustating as zipped round (9 holer) on friday after work and was only 7 over in 9 holes.different story on saturday though. Ah well keep practising. Pressure of so looking forwa4d to 5he fairmont tomorrow

larbertjambo

Very unhappy day! Course well above my level. Lost loads of balls and an 82 year old made us look like a shower of t***s.

• 2 weeks later...
Samuel Camazzola

Managed to fit in some golf at Balbirnie Park and the condition was fantastic. The greens were fast and true and playing shorter than normal due to the dry fairways.

Looking to go to Spey Valley next month. Anyone been recently to report on its condition? I played it a few years ago before the new club house was built and the tee boxes were a but rutted and uneven.

Playing Gullane number 1 last night. Won a tie on the 14th.. It's interesting playing with the stands up for the Scottish open. Leaderboards everywhere..

Was on track to beat or match my PB of 81 today until I got stuck in a bunker on the 17th and took four shots to get out of it. Ended with an 84.

:seething:

hmfc_liam06

Had our monthly outing yesterday, shot a 38 point stableford score, that was with 2 lost balls, stuck behind a single pissy wee tree at the 16th and then lipped a birdie putt from 20 feet on the last.

Didn't even finish third! 41/40/39 then me on 38.

hmfc_liam06

Higher handicaps than you, with those scores?

Good going though Liam, you seem to be playing quite consistent at the minute.

Which now means of course, I've jinxed it. :lol:

Two guys similar level to me were 1st and 2nd, guy off 8 with the 39. Was at Burntisland, very scorable course as it proved. Was bone dry, getting a lot of run plus the wind all made for some long shots.

As for me, if I could find consistency off the tee I'd be playing the best I ever have (irons are good off the deck, wedges working brilliantly and always a solid putter) but I step on the tee and have no idea what version of me is turning up!! Luckily yesterday was the good version :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

hmfc_liam06

My driving, since I've spent more time concentrating on my alignment on the tee, had improved a lot.

Was back home last week, and used my dad's spare set of Wilson clubs. The driver he has is regular, and I play a stiff, so I was wary about swinging it too fast.

I nailed this thing the four times I needed it, right where I wanted it to land. The fact that it rolled off the fairway a couple of times due to a crap bounce I wasn't bothered about.

Generally played ok, just didn't concentrate enough on other shots in 2 of the 3 rounds I played with him, and others.

My dad & I beat the other two we played with in a fourball 4&3, mainly as I putted like Jordan Speith.

Was quite funny watching the other two getting demoralised, even in a fun match, as it got to the stage that every putt within ten foot they expected me to get.

We played the last holes anyway...won them all too.

:lol:

It's funny when it comes to clubs. Have a mate who used to play with a Dunlop driver, hit it brilliantly but decided to upgrade to a Nike, all because he didn't want to be seen using a Dunlop.

Needless to say his driving is woeful now.

The Mighty Thor

Played Mottram Hall in Cheshire yesterday.

Decent enough track with a easy front 9 tough back 9 lay out.

I was going along OK until 13 when the thunderstorm started and we got absolutely soaked to the skin.

Pro day at Dunbar tomorrow and this week's great weather will be a distant memory as the pishing rain sets in from 4am and goes right on through until 11am. I tee off at 7.30am :(

hmfc_liam06

Having a look about for a driver, the cheek of some folk in the second hand market :lol:

Example - one year old TM Jetspeed ?100. Found it brand new for ?110!

After hitting 130 at the JKB golf day a few years back as an absolute beginner I've slowly been improving and finally broke 100 with a 97 round Carrick Knowe last week and followed it up with the same score at Silverknowes yesterday.

At CK I scored 5 at every hole from 9 onwards (my tee shots at the par threes both went into the trees).

It's been coming for a while. I've had 100 3-4 times and that's with throwing loads of silly shots away. I just needed to either play or at least hit the range more than once a week for a few weeks to get that level of consistency.

I still have quite a big slice, especially with the driver but it's getting better the more I play and hit the range.

After hitting 130 at the JKB golf day a few years back as an absolute beginner I've slowly been improving and finally broke 100 with a 97 round Carrick Knowe last week and followed it up with the same score at Silverknowes yesterday.

At CK I scored 5 at every hole from 9 onwards (my tee shots at the par threes both went into the trees).

It's been coming for a while. I've had 100 3-4 times and that's with throwing loads of silly shots away. I just needed to either play or at least hit the range more than once a week for a few weeks to get that level of consistency.

I still have quite a big slice, especially with the driver but it's getting better the more I play and hit the range.

Well played. Sounds like pretty solid progress.  :2thumbsup:

I'm getting to where I was hoping to be at the start of the year - target was to hit the low 80s regularly. Hit an 83 at CK yesterday, making it my third sub-84 round in the past few weeks. I badly need to sort my bunker play out though. No confidence at all in them.

Well played. Sounds like pretty solid progress. :2thumbsup:

I'm getting to where I was hoping to be at the start of the year - target was to hit the low 80s regularly. Hit an 83 at CK yesterday, making it my third sub-84 round in the past few weeks. I badly need to sort my bunker play out though. No confidence at all in them.

It's not easy on the council courses.

Not all the bunkers are bad but some seem to have no sand in them at all, making it much harder to get the ball out without whacking it over the green into the opposite bunker.

jack D and coke

Played 11 holes at monktonhall this afternoon before it started lagging down. Was only +3 and that was with a silly double bogey at the 8th. Excellent drive up the left of the fairway, perfect route to the pin, just a gap wedge, little bit short took a shitty kick into the bunker and then out but rolled over the green onto the opposite fringe and two putted. Apart from that everything was working. I was up for staying out in the rain but my mate wasn't. Bugger[emoji1]

Monktonhall is looking fantastic at the moment. Best the greens have been in maybe ten years I reckon.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread