Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Samuel Camazzola

Tee-off Times website is also an option for you to get some holes in at reduced prices and play a variety of better courses than the council ones.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Samuel Camazzola

Anybody played the Bruce and Montgomerie courses at Kinross, decent deal available for our annual weekend away next year?

I played The Bruce last summer as part of one of The Bunkered magazine free courses. It was decent but wouldn't want to play it later in the season as got the impression it could get very wet and boggy.

If your seeking any suggestions to keep your options open, a stay over in Aviemore is recommended. The Spey Valley is a good course and I've been advised that Boat of Garten is a great course.

Playing this afternoon , Groupon voucher for the royal musselburgh, round of golf for two with food ( imagine it'll be soup and a sandwich) for ?42. Never played there.

Played Glenisla today. Really enjoyed it, the course was in good condition except for the two holes (7 & 8) that are unplayable after the flooding. To compensate we were allowed to go out and play another 7 holes.

Pretty challenging with the "light" rough being baw deep, especially with my wayward drives.

?105 for a round on each course, plus dinner bed and breakfast at the Windlestrae in May.

Decent deal with the b&B included.  The Montgomery's the better of the two courses (by far).  Decent Parkland courses but not as good as they're made out to be by some.

Decent deal with the b&B included.  The Montgomery's the better of the two courses (by far).  Decent Parkland courses but not as good as they're made out to be by some.

Fair summary.

Personally I'd look elsewhere as I'm sure you could get a better deal than that. 

Playing this afternoon , Groupon voucher for the royal musselburgh, round of golf for two with food ( imagine it'll be soup and a sandwich) for ?42. Never played there.

Doing this on Saturday. How was it?

Nice course but a 3.15 tee off time meant that the kitchen was shut by the time we finished! If you've got an afternoon start you should redeem the food voucher before you play. The majority of tee shots favour a draw so it didn't suit me at all. Worth the money though so we enjoyed it.

Nice course but a 3.15 tee off time meant that the kitchen was shut by the time we finished! If you've got an afternoon start you should redeem the food voucher before you play. The majority of tee shots favour a draw so it didn't suit me at all. Worth the money though so we enjoyed it.

Cheers, that's useful as we are a wee bit later than that.

If you've got a voucher use before 21st Sept as coring and scarifying of greens will start then

If you've got a voucher use before 21st Sept as coring and scarifying of greens will start then

I seen the voucher , but had a look online and its only ?15 per round in the afternoon  .playing tomorrow

Guys, struggling bit time of the tee these days. Any recommendations for You Tube or training guides etc. Don't get a lot of time to practice at the range etc.

Guys, struggling bit time of the tee these days. Any recommendations for You Tube or training guides etc. Don't get a lot of time to practice at the range etc.

I've been struggling with my drives too since altering my swing to fix my chunky iron shots. It has worked a treat for my irons but my drives are now all over the place.

I've just been watching this video and it seems really helpful, as I have developed the exact problem they are describing.

Been to the range a few times now. I have a strong golf grip, more so with the driver.

It's totally ingrained in me. Always played that way. I tried to fix it but it just feels so alien / wrong. Just kept shanking it.

Would you guys make your swing / game work around the grip that felt comfortable? Or change the grip and make it work through perseverance?

My preference is to grip it how I feel comfortable and swing without over thinking my grip and make my game work around it.

Watched a few YouTube vids and opinions are so varies.

There seems to be several top class pros who've made a strong grip work so that's reassuring.

:lol:

Edited by Sten Guns

Been to the range a few times now. I have a strong golf grip, more so with the driver.

It's totally ingrained in me. Always played that way. I tried to fix it but it just feels so alien / wrong. Just kept shanking it.

Would you guys make your swing / game work around the grip that felt comfortable? Or change the grip and make it work through perseverance?

My preference is to grip it how I feel comfortable and swing without over thinking my grip and make my game work around it.

There seems to be several top class pros who've made a strong grip work so that's reassuring.

How strong a grip? I had a fairly extreme strong grip, I could pretty much see my right palm on address.

I was similar to you in that I struggled to change it and I'd just revert to what I knew. The downside to this is that I had to alter so much just to make my strong grip work, when it did work I played brilliantly (to my level) but those rounds were about 1 in 4. I eventually said enough is enough and worked on bringing my grip around.

I won't lie, it was shank city for a few months, just read back this thread for evidence! Everything had to change, it wasn't just a case of changing grip and all would be ok, I had to persevere for a while. I've lost distance but I feel much more in control of my shots and have finally started to see some progress in my scores.

As I said, it depends on how strong your grip is really. Top pro's do play strong but nowhere near as strong as I was.

Not sure if any of that helps but that's my story!

Samuel Camazzola

There's a couple of Tom Watson programmes on Sky on Demand worth watching.

Great simple tips which gives the reasoning for making little adjustments along with some good straight forward drills.

It's easy to watch and covers different elements of the game with short lessons.

Got the misses to take a few pics from different viewpoints. Easier than describing.

The irons are this strong. Seem to only need to do it with the driver in hand. The grip with the irons is still strong, but nothing that gives me too much worry tbh.

This is as bad / strong as it gets.

cIt0OWr.jpg

That's not all that bad Sten, it's obviously not conventional either but what is in golf? Mines was waaaay worse than that. I can't upload pics here but I'll tweet you a pic of how I used to grip compared to now.

Your left hand looks spot on. It's your right hand that is rotated way out of position. You want to see two knuckles on that right hand, with the V of your thumb directed to your right shoulder.

Samuel Camazzola

Played the Lyndoch at Murrayshall today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not the longest of courses but the holes are varied and the greens have some tricky slopes and undulations.

Highly recommended and for anyone looking for ideas for an outing, it ticks all the boxes.

Enjoyed Royal Musselburgh yesterday. Felt like I was hitting the ball a lot more consistently than I normally do. A couple of holes where I hit 9's or 8's but overall I was happy.

Musselburgh/Monktonhall on Tuesday afternoon.

I've been struggling with my drives too since altering my swing to fix my chunky iron shots. It has worked a treat for my irons but my drives are now all over the place.

I've just been watching this video and it seems really helpful, as I have developed the exact problem they are describing.

The Me & My Golf guys are excellent.

Enjoyed the vids from these guys............will be trying the water bottles out

What's Pumpherston like for a round gents?

Not my favourite course, has some decent holes. Been a while since I played it though. The 2nd is the most ridiculous hole I've ever seen on a course, worth a visit just to see it

Not my favourite course, has some decent holes. Been a while since I played it though. The 2nd is the most ridiculous hole I've ever seen on a course, worth a visit just to see it

What's Pumpherston like for a round gents?

Give it a bash you wont be disappointed

Why is the 2nd ridiculous???

Give it a bash you wont be disappointed

Why is the 2nd ridiculous???

I had a look at the course guide on the site and it looked difficult with the various hazards and the right then left turns, but it didn't look ridiculous.

It's a mid iron off the tee to quite a tight landing area, then possibly a longer 2nd shot than tee shot. It's a really strange hole, played it numerous times mainly in team or courier trophy matches and was never a hole I liked, just never made sense to me, it's a hole with only really one way to play it.

It's a mid iron off the tee to quite a tight landing area, then possibly a longer 2nd shot than tee shot. It's a really strange hole, played it numerous times mainly in team or courier trophy matches and was never a hole I liked, just never made sense to me, it's a hole with only really one way to play it.

If I don't really think about my driving then I have quite a bit natural fade. I reckon I could hit a pretty good tee shot on that hole!

If I don't really think about my driving then I have quite a bit natural fade. I reckon I could hit a pretty good tee shot on that hole!

It's quite tight and pretty much a 90 degree dog leg, would be an interesting shot to take it round the corner. When the hole first opened before the trees grew bigger it used to be possible to go down the right with a high draw but it was a massive risk as completely blind with water left.

Me and a mate are going to come over Edinburgh/Lothians way next week and we have a few options on teeofftimes.co.uk

Pumpherston

Harburn

Niddry Castle

Royal Mussy

Swanston

Any avoids in there and any opinion on the best of the lot? Prices all around ?15.

Samuel Camazzola

Me and a mate are going to come over Edinburgh/Lothians way next week and we have a few options on teeofftimes.co.uk

Pumpherston

Harburn

Niddry Castle

Royal Mussy

Swanston

Any avoids in there and any opinion on the best of the lot? Prices all around ?15.

Swanston is nothing special. Nice club house but the course is too dis-jointed with the six new holes having different greens from the rest of the course. They should have acquired more of Lothianburn than just two holes as it was a better track. ?15 is reasonable but wouldn't pay more.

I had a look at the course guide on the site and it looked difficult with the various hazards and the right then left turns, but it didn't look ridiculous.

Yeah it is difficult. Low iron or hybrid from the tee can leave you between 150-200 yards to the green depending how much of the corner you take on. 2nd shot is down hill so plays a lot shorter. The water on your left shouldnt be in play. Its only in your head. 

Take it you haven't played many courses?

The second at Pumpherston been described pretty accurately by one of the posters above, so I won't repeat what's already been said.

It's a good course.  There are very few occasions where you can miss the fairway and not be punished, so you need to keep it on the short stuff.  There are water features on a good few holes.  Especially on the 16th...  The greens are in great nick at the moment.  All in all, it's a decent test.

Pumpherston

Harburn

Niddry Castle

Royal Mussy

Swanston

The new bit of Niddry Castle is a bit featureless, imo.  Wouldn't rush to play it.  If you want a round in that area, I'd recommend either Linlithgow (though it's a bit hilly for some) or West Lothian Course in Bo'ness.

Take it you haven't played many courses?

The second at Pumpherston been described pretty accurately by one of the posters above, so I won't repeat what's already been said.

It's a good course. There are very few occasions where you can miss the fairway and not be punished, so you need to keep it on the short stuff. There are water features on a good few holes. Especially on the 16th... The greens are in great nick at the moment. All in all, it's a decent test.

And the point in making this personal was?

Not sure how many courses you've played, but I've played a lot of courses around the world myself, and I am entitled to my personal opinion, that is the point of this board.

I have also been a member of a number of clubs in Edinburgh and West Lothian through the years winning a number of club championships in my younger days.

I said it's been a while since I played it, and my opinion still stands based on that. From memory I disagree with your point about there being few places you can miss fairways without being punished, like most courses there are always places you can miss and get away with it, like all golf it's about playing the percentages. As I've said it has a few nice holes. Also has a great clubhouse, what they've done with a bit land that couldn't be used for anything else is also a credit to themselves and BP, just not my favourite course and not a fan of the 2nd hole, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and with golf it can just be as easy as a hole not suiting your eye or your natural shot shape, that can sometimes give you a different opinion to others of a course or individual hole. For the record, I've recorded 2, 2's on the 2nd at Pumpherston but it's just not for me

And the point in making this personal was?

Not sure how many courses you've played, but I've played a lot of courses around the world myself, and I am entitled to my personal opinion, that is the point of this board.

I have also been a member of a number of clubs in Edinburgh and West Lothian through the years winning a number of club championships in my younger days.

I said it's been a while since I played it, and my opinion still stands based on that. From memory I disagree with your point about there being few places you can miss fairways without being punished, like most courses there are always places you can miss and get away with it, like all golf it's about playing the percentages. As I've said it has a few nice holes. Also has a great clubhouse, what they've done with a bit land that couldn't be used for anything else is also a credit to themselves and BP, just not my favourite course and not a fan of the 2nd hole, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and with golf it can just be as easy as a hole not suiting your eye or your natural shot shape, that can sometimes give you a different opinion to others of a course or individual hole. For the record, I've recorded 2, 2's on the 2nd at Pumpherston but it's just not for me

Not sure I did make it personal; more of a flippant comment.   Let's face it, it's a tree-lined dogleg right with a water hazard left-front of the green.   

For me, the 17th hole at Linlithgow is ridiculous - par 3 where the green sits at the bottom of a steep slope.  Depending how they've cut the grass (though I think they've let it grow a bit in recent years), you can chip the ball off the tee and let it run down onto the green. 

As you say, though, we all see things differently.  I've never had a 2 on the 2nd at Pumpherston and it's just not for me either.  Unfortunately I have to play it most weeks.

Not sure I did make it personal; more of a flippant comment. Let's face it, it's a tree-lined dogleg right with a water hazard left-front of the green.

For me, the 17th hole at Linlithgow is ridiculous - par 3 where the green sits at the bottom of a steep slope. Depending how they've cut the grass (though I think they've let it grow a bit in recent years), you can chip the ball off the tee and let it run down onto the green.

As you say, though, we all see things differently. I've never had a 2 on the 2nd at Pumpherston and it's just not for me either. Unfortunately I have to play it most weeks.

I agree with you on the 17th at Linlithgow, I've seen guys almost putt it off that tee and make a 2, and seen guys hit what looks a decent shot from the tee and ended up in the canal due to it either being a baw hair short or a baw hair long and catching one of the down slopes and taking a massive kick

If you're looking for ridiculous then give Kinghorn a bash.

3rd hole is a downhill par 3...with a brick wall IN FRONT of the green!

Another ridiculous hole is the 10th at Burntisland. Blind tee shot into a huge slope and then an approach to a sunken green which backs onto a wall. I've seen many perfectly good tee shots ruined there.

Another ridiculous hole is the 10th at Burntisland. Blind tee shot into a huge slope and then an approach to a sunken green which backs onto a wall. I've seen many perfectly good tee shots ruined there.

Now we're talking!  I played Kinghorn last year (36 hole works outing) and just felt the whole course was a bit ridiculous.  More like playing in a pinball machine than a golf course.

Now we're talking!  I played Kinghorn last year (36 hole works outing) and just felt the whole course was a bit ridiculous.  More like playing in a pinball machine than a golf course.

I don't mind it as a course to be honest but I totally get where you're coming from.

One thing I will say about it, the greens are phenomenal considering it's a council course.

Not played Kinghorn for a very long time, know the hole you're talking about, would hate to land just short of the wall. I remember that hole and another Par 3, very late in the round that just didn't seem like it was part of the course, think you had to sort of walk down the tee and the green was raised, just seemed to be on a bit waste land on the edge of the course. Other than that all I remember is its a short course.

I think it's Callander that has a blind par 3, big mound between the tee and the green

That's the 18th you're on about, I've only ever played it off the visitor tees but the medals tees certainly used to be below the hole - I believe they have moved them though.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread