Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Only if u can't drive the green

A par 4 that is potentially driveable if you hit the ball straight and aren't facing a 20mph wind direct in your face (which seems to be all the time). But you can't see the green, and there's not really a proper fairway as there's no part that really flattens out to try and land on. If you do go for the green and don't quite make it, you're generally trying to blindly hit a lofted wedge shot with no idea where the pin is.

It's basically just a radge hill with a flag on top of it.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 18th at Murrayfield is another silly hole, imo.  The fairway falls away steeply to the left unless you're a fairly long hitter.  For us mere mortals, you inevitably have to drive onto the first fairway and play down from there.

Not a fan of the first hole at The Glen, though once by that it's decent.

Same with Gullane, with each course having a hole purely designed to get you up the hill.

West Lothian also has a hole like that.

Actually, I'm starting to see a pattern here in holes that don't appeal to me.

Edited by Haken

This thread has now taken a turn now since my comments about Pumpherston.

Another hole I find really strange is the 2nd at Uphall, it's like they designed the course and suddenly realised there was only 17 holes. It only has its own tee and then shares the 1st fairway and 15th green

John mcCartney

balocomie links at crail has a medal tee for a hole adj to the previous green on the opposite side of the medal tee ones fairway

so you have punters potentially aiming for green and you crossfiring em !!!!!! thats ****ing ridiculous

Sigh...tee shots were coming along brilliantly, had a good couple of months of straight and accurate play but the last few rounds they have deteriorated rapidly. Not like it's the same bad shot, it's left, right, topped, skied, anything but straight!!

Back to the drawing board.

Weird round today for me, some great shots, some terrible. Crap front 9 of 47, then a 37 on the back, which is a new 9-hole record for me.

It's some game RG! I can play a Saturday and the tee shots are murder but short game is brilliant then play Sunday and it's reversed :lol:

I've never had a round quite like it. Weird mix of complete mis-hits on one hole to playing like a pro on the next. My drives improved at first, but my irons suffered, then both kind of evened out a bit. My short game was generally a bit shite all day, yet I scored really well on the back 9.

My mate actually told me I hit a 40 on the back 9 until I checked the score card for myself later in the day. It felt more like a 40 tbh, but I'm well chuffed with a 37. :D

Always double-check your scorecard when your mate is counting!

Edited by Ray Gin

Just back from Pumpherston. Enjoyed it, didn't find it a particularly great course but it was fine for ?15.

Back 9 was far superior to the front 9.

Played it pretty well though, despite a few horror shows (2 7's and an 8) I managed a +2 net.

John mcCartney

15 squid is a nice price and i like pumpho off the medals

was thinking of heading to my old course,north berwick`s glen gc on saturday before i baulked at the price

54 squid !!!

instead,had a game at my own place at leven links

Disser Pointon

15 squid is a nice price and i like pumpho off the medals

was thinking of heading to my old course,north berwick`s glen gc on saturday before i baulked at the price

54 squid !!!

instead,had a game at my own place at leven links

Got an outing at Leven next month, never played it before but looks nice on the website.

Samuel Camazzola

It was a nice course, I don't think it's worth the full price though. Played much nicer and cheaper courses.

Liam,

Itison have a promotion ending soon for the Fairmount courses. ?39 for a two ball.

Played one of the two and it was superb.

John mcCartney

massive greens,course should still be in good condition for when you and your mob pitch up there mate.
the eighteenth is a beast of a par four with massive green fronted with timber rivetted embankment and a stream meandering around.
play safe off the tee everytime as bunkering and landing areas can be penalising.

the starters box is being transformed into a shop with resident pro appointed around that time

course in overall good condition although some rough patches appearing this year around on a couple of holes periphery`s which is a little bit shan

Liam,

Itison have a promotion ending soon for the Fairmount courses. ?39 for a two ball.

Played one of the two and it was superb.

I saw that but you can get it all year round for ?25 on teeofftimes.co.uk. Think the voucher has to be used before November.

It's on the radar but I'd rather play it in "summer" conditions :lol:

Disser Pointon

massive greens,course should still be in good condition for when you and your mob pitch up there mate.

the eighteenth is a beast of a par four with massive green fronted with timber rivetted embankment and a stream meandering around.

play safe off the tee everytime as bunkering and landing areas can be penalising.

the starters box is being transformed into a shop with resident pro appointed around that time

course in overall good condition although some rough patches appearing this year around on a couple of holes periphery`s which is a little bit shan

Yeah, I noticed the 18th on the website, looks a cracker!

Samuel Camazzola

I saw that but you can get it all year round for ?25 on teeofftimes.co.uk. Think the voucher has to be used before November.

It's on the radar but I'd rather play it in "summer" conditions :lol:

The Fairmont courses are regulars on Teeofftimes.co.uk but the cheap prices are often around 7 am and after 3pm. The rates jump up during the core hours.

From your previous posts, I know you are based in Fife. Have you played Glenrothes? Teeofftimes.co.uk usually has it for a very cheap rate and have been tempted to try it.

The Fairmont courses are regulars on Teeofftimes.co.uk but the cheap prices are often around 7 am and after 3pm. The rates jump up during the core hours.

From your previous posts, I know you are based in Fife. Have you played Glenrothes? Teeofftimes.co.uk usually has it for a very cheap rate and have been tempted to try it.

I have the Fife Rover pass and it's part of that so I play it often. In all honesty Dunnikier (Kirkcaldy) is the best Fife Trust course. Glenrothes is an absolute killer, the front 9 is ok but the back 9 is treacherous to say the least, the 11th, 12th, 13th and 18th are all on a hill and you need an oxygen mask to get through them :lol:

If you're coming over from Edinburgh there are far better courses tbh.

Samuel Camazzola

I have the Fife Rover pass and it's part of that so I play it often. In all honesty Dunnikier (Kirkcaldy) is the best Fife Trust course. Glenrothes is an absolute killer, the front 9 is ok but the back 9 is treacherous to say the least, the 11th, 12th, 13th and 18th are all on a hill and you need an oxygen mask to get through them :lol:

If you're coming over from Edinburgh there are far better courses tbh.

You've sold it to me on the description alone!:-))

You've sold it to me on the description alone!:-))

Haha the best bit about it is the ability to hit planes as they land at Glenrothes airport from the 11th tee :lol:

In its defence it was in really good condition over the summer, haven't played it since July though so I can't comment on conditions now.

You do get it for under a tenner on teeofftimes, it's certainly worth it at that.

jack D and coke

After 20 odd years of golf I finally broke 80 today. Had a 77 at monktonhall today :yas: ****ing chuffed. From 100 yards in I was great today and only 3 putted once, at the last.

I've threatened it for at least 10 years with a lot of 80's and 81's but it all worked today.

Off to get ratted now to celebrate!!

After 20 odd years of golf I finally broke 80 today. Had a 77 at monktonhall today :yas: ******* chuffed. From 100 yards in I was great today and only 3 putted once, at the last.

I've threatened it for at least 10 years with a lot of 80's and 81's but it all worked today.

Off to get ratted now to celebrate!!

Well played! Breaking 80 is my target for next year.

jack D and coke

Well played! Breaking 80 is my target for next year.

Tbh mate I thought it just wasn't ever going to happen. I can hit it as long as anybody and generally my irons are decent but my putting has always been my achilles heel. I three putt for Scotland! All worked today, four birdies into the bargain. Delighted!

Sure you'll get there[emoji106]

Tbh mate I thought it just wasn't ever going to happen. I can hit it as long as anybody and generally my irons are decent but my putting has always been my achilles heel. I three putt for Scotland! All worked today, four birdies into the bargain. Delighted!

Sure you'll get there[emoji106]

Well done mate, it's the putting that makes the difference. Looks like it should be the easiest bit of the game too.

jack D and coke

Well done mate, it's the putting that makes the difference. Looks like it should be the easiest bit of the game too.

Cheers man Im really chuffed. Thing is if I just mess about at the putting greens I'm not bad at all. On the course though and it generally just goes to shit[emoji1]

Not today though.

Edited by jack D and coke

6 rounds over the past 10 days and still no consistency whatsoever off the tee. I'd actually prefer it if I was doing the same thing time and again because it might be easier to find a remedy but in a round I'm hooking, slicing, topping, skying...

In those 6 it was only the Pumpherston round that had any form of consistency, I actually played really well off the tee there.

But in better news, I played in my first ever competitive scramble yesterday and we absolutely pished it :lol:

-6 scratch for a net 51, winning by 5 strokes.

I played in the final of the pair's matchhplay at my local club yesterday. Best I've played for nearly 6 months which is pleasing, my partner played well too but not good enough to win. Giving one of the oponents 14 shots didn't help when he was also playing really well. Most of the time he was on the edge of the green needing to get up and down for a nett birdie. Very frustrating but beaten 2&1 fair and square.

Kind of getting the golf bug back after a playing poorly for so long so not all bad news

6 rounds over the past 10 days and still no consistency whatsoever off the tee. I'd actually prefer it if I was doing the same thing time and again because it might be easier to find a remedy but in a round I'm hooking, slicing, topping, skying...

In those 6 it was only the Pumpherston round that had any form of consistency, I actually played really well off the tee there.

But in better news, I played in my first ever competitive scramble yesterday and we absolutely pished it :lol:

-6 scratch for a net 51, winning by 5 strokes.

I love a scramble. The pressure is off individuals and usually get some really good golf.

I was in a team that once shot -17 scratch and only won by 0.2,

Managed to get a game in this morning. Hitting the ball well but on a few holes was taking 3 or 4 to get down from the side of the green. It was windy and cold and I am blaming that. 

Looking forward to the season ahead! 

We should have a Kickback challenge to try and cut our handicaps by 20% this year. 

What do you think?

Thought I'd give this a bump.

I started the year at 23.7 and now currently sat at 19.7.

Not quite 20% but not a kick in the arse away. Delighted with the progress I've made this year. Still having my issues but it seems the grip change over the May/June months has seen me right quite a few wrongs. If I can just get the tee shots sorted I think I can make a huge leap next year.

I love a scramble. The pressure is off individuals and usually get some really good golf.

I was in a team that once shot -17 scratch and only won by 0.2,

I've played in a couple of society and works scrambles as well as yesterday and to be honest I need the pressure to play golf. I find if I'm too relaxed I can't really get going. Though given the win, I can see me playing in a good few next year!

Four putted yesterday when I had a 20-foot putt for birdie. :vrface:

These things happen, I 3 putted twice for par, from eagle putts within 20ft the other week. It's a stupid game

These things happen, I 3 putted twice for par, from eagle putts within 20ft the other week. It's a stupid game

Yep I was on the green in two with a similar 20 foot putt the other day, put it about 3 foot past which left me with a dodgy downhill putt. Nearly put it back to where it come from! Missed it back up the hill and tapped in for the 6.

Last three medal rounds have been 74, 75 and 71 scratch. Playing pretty well just now. Won a fair few prizes these last few weeks. On Sunday me and my partner won the summer foursomes.. We were 6 up after 10... No strokes involved..

All I've changed is the 5-10 second before my shot. A deep breath followed by a moment of calmness... Works a bloody treat.

Still 3 putting though

Bit of a meh set of scores in the medals for the season. Most scores in the 76-79 range. About 4 80s or 81s. Handicap went up 6 times and played to handicap or buffered 6 times. Going up a good few times when 1 shot outside the buffer is annoying. It could easily have been a season of zero increases for the sake of the odd shot here and there. I had two 73s and a 74 last season but never quite threatened a score this time. The margins are very very thin.

jack D and coke

Had my first lesson this week at 42 years of age :muggy:

Initially went for a free fitting for new irons and turns out my clubs are a bit too short for my height 6"2

Adjusted my address and stance and I went from hitting 160-180 yards with my own 6i to 200 with the new Srixon 6i. My swing speed has increased to 92-95mph too due to the changes ive made. Picking the irons up early next week just a bit gutted I'm not going to get an awful lot of golf in before the new season.

Gives me something to work on through the winter up at the range though.

Sounds good Jack D.

I'm going to go for a lesson next month to try get some consistency from the tee, hopefully get some success.

• 2 weeks later...
Samuel Camazzola

If anyone knows a member at Balbirnie Park, I've heard visitors can get signed on for only ?5 for the autumn. Great course.

Lipped out on the 18th to miss out on a new course PB at Braids today. Definitely feel progress over the past few months, consistently hitting low 80s now.

86 around Longniddry yesterday.

I was absolutely outstanding off the tee. Only reason I scored well to be honest!

Comeback is well and truly on. :)

86 around Longniddry yesterday.

I was absolutely outstanding off the tee. Only reason I scored well to be honest!

Comeback is well and truly on. :)

Makes a huge difference. I hit a new PB 83 last Sunday, every single tee shot clean 200 yards or so down the middle.

Broke my PB again today. Hit a net 62 at Scotscraig.

What a phenomenal front 9 holes, pity the back 9 gets a bit dull which somewhat brings it down.

• 2 weeks later...
John mcCartney

any of you punters out there know what the roads situation around forth bridge area is gonna be like next year ?

i play at leven and commute from the capital but bit concerned re renewing me subscriptions as i dont want grief with the roads on a saturday/sunday...ive had a look online but cant find any construction programs

last time i was over ,before the recent weekend closures,it took me hour and a half to get there because of single lane shenaningans on the fife side.

:down:

Anyone played Drumoig, going up at end of month for a wee works outing.

Great course, it's tough though and quite long.

Despite the weather it's in great nick all winter.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread