Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Great course and agree with your assessment of the greens.

I hit the biggest drive of my life there and nearly drove the 10th! 350+ yards

Think my drive on 10 hit the road :lol:

Fairways were a little on the hairy side but overall well worth a visit.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06

Question for everyone.

The wife is buying me a round at any course I want for my 30th, naturally the Old Course tops the list.

So, if you could play any course in Scotland, money no I object, what would you play?

Disser Pointon

Question for everyone.

The wife is buying me a round at any course I want for my 30th, naturally the Old Course tops the list.

So, if you could play any course in Scotland, money no I object, what would you play?

Kingsbarns or Trump Aberdeen.

Samuel Camazzola

Question for everyone.

Always fancied Kingsbarns. The pictures I've seen always look spectacular.

Is she buying you a two-ball or are you getting a mate to go and pay their way?

Question for everyone.

There's definitely something special about standing on the first tee at the Old Course, but imo it's not a brilliant course.  Every golfer, though, will want to play it at some point.  Just be aware that you'll probably get teamed up with random others if you're not going in your own 4-ball.  Do you prefer links to parkland?

hmfc_liam06

Always fancied Kingsbarns. The pictures I've seen always look spectacular.

Is she buying you a two-ball or are you getting a mate to go and pay their way?

Unfortunately the budget doesn't stretch to paying for my mates but luckily 3 of them are very willing to play.

It's not until next year so plenty time for saving etc.

hmfc_liam06

There's definitely something special about standing on the first tee at the Old Course, but imo it's not a brilliant course.  Every golfer, though, will want to play it at some point.  Just be aware that you'll probably get teamed up with random others if you're not going in your own 4-ball.  Do you prefer links to parkland?

It'll be a fourball so no issues there.

I have to say I was never all that taken on the Old Course but as you say, every golfer will want to play it at some point but the Open there got me right in the mood for the course. There's so many different parts of the course that excite...I might even drop a ball into Hell bunker :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Kingsbarns or Trump Aberdeen.

Trump is certainly on the list, they also seem to have reduced their green fees. I believe they are struggling a little.

?135 for Scottish residents. 

Samuel Camazzola

Unfortunately the budget doesn't stretch to paying for my mates but luckily 3 of them are very willing to play.

It's not until next year so plenty time for saving etc.

That's good. Like someone else mentioned, if you were heading up alone, you'd end up getting grouped with randoms. May not be a bad thing but may not be enjoyable if it included a complete hacker which contributed to a five hour round.

Gleneagles were doing a fourball deal for something in the region of ?360.

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

hmfc_liam06

That's good. Like someone else mentioned, if you were heading up alone, you'd end up getting grouped with randoms. May not be a bad thing but may not be enjoyable if it included a complete hacker which contributed to a five hour round.

Gleneagles were doing a fourball deal for something in the region of ?360.

Had a look at Gleneagles, ?65 a head after 4pm on Queens and Kings, ?99 on PGA.

Samuel Camazzola

Had a look at Gleneagles, ?65 a head after 4pm on Queens and Kings, ?99 on PGA.

I'm sure it's Gleneagles own website which had the offer.

Also, if you have a SGU card, their site is worth looking at to see what offers are on the go. Last winter they did a St Andrews pass to cover 6 of the 7 courses.

Trump is certainly on the list, they also seem to have reduced their green fees. I believe they are struggling a little.

?135 for Scottish residents.

I played there a month ago, the course is spectacular. I would say it's the best I've played from a visual point of view.

If I had to choose a course to play, I would go with the old course though. Purely for the history

Had a stinker of a round at Torwoodlee today. Not playing for over a month certainly hasn't done me any favours. Every single aspect of my play was shan, from my drives right through to my putting.

Nice course though, would definitely go back.

Had a stinker of a round at Torwoodlee today. Not playing for over a month certainly hasn't done me any favours. Every single aspect of my play was shan, from my drives right through to my putting.

Nice course though, would definitely go back.

Nice course, had my arse handed to me a fair few times round there though. Think I've only played the last two holes twice

I've also nailed the giant monkey puzzle tree on more than one occasion. I'm sure you know the one I'm on about

Played pitreavie today in a club match. Course was excellent, greens particularly nice. Had 7 birdies so it was always going to leave a good impression

I've also nailed the giant monkey puzzle tree on more than one occasion. I'm sure you know the one I'm on about

Genuinely no idea :lol:

I did nail a couple of trees but didn't notice any monkey puzzle vibes.

Outing at Deer Park on Saturday there, cracking weather for it.

Course was ok but found the it a little unkept in places. Fairways were a little hairy but overall pretty decent. Absolutely cracking clubhouse and facilities though and couldn't fault their service.

Net 68 for this cat though....still didn't win.

:sob:

Cyprus Jambo

West Course at Dalmahoy this coming Friday..........is it still an easy course like the KB Outing a few years back? Don't remember too much from that day out apart from a really good night in Diggers

Samuel Camazzola

PGA Championship this week and looking forward to it immensely. Whistling Straits is something else and it must be close to impossible to avoid sand around there.

Does anyone have their picks selected as yet?

Joined up to the local 9 hole course, it's fairly rubbish but gets me a handicap and allows me to go out and play some Opens.

Disser Pointon

Pro day Texas scramble at Monktonhall yesterday, we were 16 under scratch and came THIRD! The banditos that won were allegedly 14 under scratch with a combined 69 handicap, only 2 worse than us with our combined handicap of 18.................sharp pencils!

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

West Course at Dalmahoy this coming Friday..........is it still an easy course like the KB Outing a few years back? Don't remember too much from that day out apart from a really good night in Diggers

That was an outstanding evening!

Went round in 130 that day.

I'm back in the 90's after a couple of plus 100's in the last couple of weeks.

93 today round Carrick Knowe, including a birdie... Which is starting to happen on a semi regular basis.

I find that if I can get to the range the night before it makes such a difference.

I also realised how big a difference a worn out glove can make.

Lost my new one so went in to the boot of the car to get the old one... I started duffing everything... But it took me a couple of rounds to realise it was a grip issue & when I bought another new glove the issue went away!

Had an absolutely brilliant outing up at Strathmore, if you've never played it then I'd urge you to head up for a day out. Brilliant course, set up and food!

We got a deal of breakfast, lunch, dinner and 27 holes for ?45.

Anyone played Glenisla before? Big group of us going for a round on Sunday. Can't say I'm confident as I've suddenly completely lost my ability to hit decent drives. All over the shop.

Mate was there last week, there's a few holes closed due to drainage works. Seriously, if you can, change to Strathmore, it's pretty much next door!

Mate was there last week, there's a few holes closed due to drainage works. Seriously, if you can, change to Strathmore, it's pretty much next door!

Dull yin. :(

Anybody played the Bruce and Montgomerie courses at Kinross, decent deal available for our annual weekend away next year?

Both decent courses. What's the offer? It's usually about ?50 a round there (overpriced for me).

Disser Pointon

Both decent courses. What's the offer? It's usually about ?50 a round there (overpriced for me).

?105 for a round on each course, plus dinner bed and breakfast at the Windlestrae in May.

Looking to take up golf as a hobby although I've never properly played (played the odd pitch and putt and driving range) nor do I own a set of clubs. Any advice on tips/training or even a good place to buy a set of clubs? All advice appreciated :)

Looking to take up golf as a hobby although I've never properly played (played the odd pitch and putt and driving range) nor do I own a set of clubs. Any advice on tips/training or even a good place to buy a set of clubs? All advice appreciated :)

I just started playing last year. I bought an d set of clubs from my mate and have been using them. There are a range of sets for beginners which are a lot cheaper than you would expect, but I don't have a clue of the quality.

Probably a bad time of year to start playing as you'll want to be playing regularly.

I'm still terrible. Think I need to spend more time at the driving range, but it's not the same as being out on the course. Just doesn't interest me as much.

Decided to take up golf again. Used to play a lot when I was younger. I was off 12 at Broomieknowe.

Gave up as I just didn't have the time for it. Growing up, birds, mates, bevying, following Hearts every week, all getting in the way.

Now I'm a bit older, settled with the misses, don't go out on the piss half as much and no longer attend away games i think I've got the time now.

It's been 8 years though. I'm guessing I'm going to be absolutely shite. How long do you realistically think it would take to get my old handicap back?

I've just bought myself a new set of irons, driver, 3 wood and new bag. So at this point it's all the gear and no idea. But I do have a background. :lol:

I see Broomie have a joining offer on just now. Might hit the range and a few Council courses first before signing back up. Don't want to look a prick.

I don't really know anyone or have close mates who are in to golf, given I've been away from it for so long. Kind of paranoid these places are quite cleaky and I'm a bit of a spare prick. Do you think it will be okay?

Edited by Sten Guns

Can't give much advice on Edinburgh courses with me being a Fifer. Re handicap, you might be surprised how quickly you pick it back up....then again you might be absolute turgid!!

Thoughts with you bud x

If you're on Facebook there are various Golf Trader pages for second hand equipment, you can pick up some decent bargains. I bought a Wilson D200 driver a couple weeks back, was just released in March but I picked it up for ?80. The downside is you can't try them out obviously.

If you'd rather try out a set of clubs first, head over to American Golf, always get a good service with them.

Also, I'd recommend Benross clubs, a lot cheaper than your bigger names but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about them. I believe Bigsmak uses them too. 

Jeffosphere.

As I just said above, I've bought new irons. I'm about to put my old ones, pictured below, on eBay. They're fantastic condition for their age. 3 to SW.

Link below showing ?100 seems to be the going rate. If you fancy getting a 2nd hand set to use before deciding if you want get in to it properly I'd let them go to a fellow Hearts fan for ?85. Let me know if you're interested. If not I'll get them fired on to eBay. You'd probably be able to sell them on again for what you'd pay. They've done all their depreciation now I think. Cheers mate.

ksNTGJ2.jpg

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151794816544&globalID=EBAY-GB

Edited by Sten Guns

Decided to take up golf again. Used to play a lot when I was younger. I was off 12 at Broomieknowe.

Gave up as I just didn't have the time for it. Growing up, birds, mates, bevying, following Hearts every week, all getting in the way.

Now I'm a bit older, settled with the misses, don't go out on the piss half as much and no longer attend away games i think I've got the time now.

It's been 8 years though. I'm guessing I'm going to be absolutely shite. How long do you realistically think it would take to get my old handicap back?

I've just bought myself a new set of irons, driver, 3 wood and new bag. So at this point it's all the gear and no idea. But I do have a background. :lol:

I see Broomie have a joining offer on just now. Might hit the range and a few Council courses first before signing back up. Don't want to look a prick.

I don't really know anyone or have close mates who are in to golf, given I've been away from it for so long. Kind of paranoid these places are quite cleaky and I'm a bit of a spare prick. Do you think it will be okay?

I took a break of about 12 years. Took me a few years of playing to get back to where I was, although I was only playing around 20 or so rounds per year.

Samuel Camazzola

Would be ok. Speak to the pro and he'd group you with guys he'd consider to be accommodating and friendly.

Also, you may want to look into King's Acre who do different membership packages. One of the less committed ones (silver I think) involves reduced annual fees and cheaper pay as you play rates. Depending on how often you want to play through autumn and winter, it may suit you.

Sten.............Haddington still the best deal locally as it is only 30 mins drive for you.

Anyway, I'm playing Glencorse today, near enough next door to my work and have never played it. Very short with lots of par 3s but seems to be a tough start with a 255 yard par 3.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread