Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Well done Russell Knox from Inverness.. just won his first tournament and it was a biggie.. WGC (HSBC) in China.  $1.4 million first prize.

It will open up the golfing world for him...has a mixed scots american accent when talking. :tiny:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guess The Crowd

Well done Russell Knox from Inverness.. just won his first tournament and it was a biggie.. WGC (HSBC) in China.  $1.4 million first prize.

It will open up the golfing world for him...has a mixed scots american accent when talking. :tiny:

Yes, fantastic achievement. Grew up in Inverness, has an American father and Scottish mother. I watched him play a couple of times - knew he was good but not that good!

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of advice guys...

We're arranging a wee bounce scramble, 2 man.

What's the recommendations for handicaps? I've played in a 3 man where it was 1/6 of combined handicap and a 4 man where it was 10% of combined.

Not sure what to do for a 2 man.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With 20mph winds forecast for the next week, it's unlikely I'll get another round in this year, so it's time for the annual review. How did 2015 treat you, fellow golfers?

I got off to a pretty poor start where I was struggling with my irons (chunking about 50% at least) but hitting my drives really well. Then I changed some things with my swing a bit and marginally improved my irons but destroyed my drives, which actually made my scores worse overall. After further swing changes, however, I managed to sort myself out by the end of the summer, and managed to hit my target for the year of consistently hitting the low 80s. 

I also hit a new personal best of 81 (at Carricknowe) and matched my previous personal best achieved at Braids (82) with my final round of the year. Pretty happy with that after such a ropey start.

Next year's target: break 80.

Tempted to also get myself some new irons.

My year has went pretty well after a very bumpy start.

Initially I had major troubles with the shanks. The reason for this was purely down to a change in grip. I'm very strong gripped but was determined to address this. My game and confidence around May was shot to pieces but I stuck with it and eventually got something working over the summer.

The change has resulted in a loss in distance however I'm now hitting a lot more fairways in regulation now.

Another huge plus for me this year is that I'm finally hitting a wood from the tee which has helped improve my game massively. It was the area that really let me down. I'm only hitting a 5 wood but I'm getting very consistent results off the tee and probably averaging around 180-200 yards.

Since the improvements and upturn in form my end of year was very strong, dropping my handicap from 24 to 20 and scoring a +15 scratch round at Scotscraig (most challenging course I've played).

Next year's aim is to be consistently scoring in the mid 80's and stepping up to a 3 wood off the tee.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Disser Pointon

Usual mixed bag for me. Some concerted work with our pro at the turn of the year saw some swing and grip changes pay dividends and my handicap went down to 5 which is as low as it's ever been. Pretty inconsistent thereafter though with a few good rounds in amongst plenty of bad ones and I'm now back up to 6.

Just looking to be more consistent next season, my putting has improved a lot which was always an achilles heel so hopefully that will help the scoring if the yips don't return!

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Played 12 rounds all year. 12.

I'll have two 9 hole rounds with my dad at Christmas and that's it. Highest score was 93 in a game. Lowest was 86.

Don't know when I'll start next year, as I don't play over the winter. Destined to be a mid-handicapper for some time yet.

It's all about where you're happy being. I'd be happy if I got into the teens and stayed there, I don't play often enough or have the desire to get much better than that but I'm fine with it.

I'm more about enjoying it with friends than looking to be massively competitive.

I've played horrendous golf all year apart from a scratch 70 round my local course.

Played one of the best courses in the world and shot 18 points

And my handicap has increased a full shot...

Yet somehow I've never enjoyed my golf more. Happy days

(my golf has got better the last couple of months, but it's winter league season so no handicap cuts just yet)

So where is everyone joining for the 2016 season?

To get me started in 2015 I just joined my local 9 hole course in the summer, it was cheap as chips and got me on my way but it's not of great quality so I've looked elsewhere. I'm joining Aberdour, ?280 for the year, this includes a 20% discount (should be ?350) due to the current deal they are running. It's 20% off my fees and 20% of my fees in cash to the member who proposes me - great deal to encourage new members. There's also no joining fees for under 30's (I sneak in due to not turning 30 until Feb).

Really looking forward to the forthcoming season now. Aberdour is a great wee course, stunning front 9 though the back 9 lets it down somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

Was a member of Aberdour GC for 20 years, gave it up 2 years ago but going to rejoin. Going to wait and see if they do a discount around March/April time.

Been using teeofftimes website for rounds and played a few different courses which I'm enjoyed but wanna get back in to a course close by.

Was a member of Aberdour GC for 20 years, gave it up 2 years ago but going to rejoin. Going to wait and see if they do a discount around March/April time.

Been using teeofftimes website for rounds and played a few different courses which I'm enjoyed but wanna get back in to a course close by.

Well if you don't know anyone there then I'd happily sign you up meaning you'd get 20% off your membership and I'd get a 20% Brucey bonus!

EDIT: Just realised you'd been there 20 years, you'll know plenty...still if you want to help a fellow Jambo out :lol:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Itching to get out after replacing all my gear! Heading through to the Glasgow Golf Centre tomorrow as the outdoor range is a pain in the hole in this weather. Anybody been???

I was playing Taylor Made woods, Callaway X18 irons and wedges and an Odyssey putter. Now 100% Titleist, 915D2 woods, AP1 irons, 3 vokey wedges (52,56,60) and a Scotty Cameron Fastback putter. Irons being 4-PW mean I can add a 60 degree in BUT the hybrid flys a mile so have a big gap to fill from that to the 4 iron. Can't wait for the season to start, playing off 11 and would love to be chopped to 6 this time next year. Plan is to put plenty practice in.

Managed a game this morning. First game in 4 weeks due to weather/work etc. Nett 74 after dropping 5 shots in 2 holes, level par for the rest which was nice. But just happy to get a game to he honest.

Course was the most waterlogged I've ever seen it. Very boggy in places but playable none the less. And that's on a course that's usually very good with drainage.

I dread to think how long some of the nearby inland/parkland courses are going to be closed for which is quite sad really

jack D and coke

Went up the range the other day to get the swing going again. Hitting the ball fine except my 4i which used to be the best club in my bag. Hands stinging after almost every shot with it. What the hell am I doing there?

The Mighty Thor

Went out this morning too. It was fine until the rain came on then it was fecking baltic.

We really need some dry weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed 2 rounds at the weekend.. Greens were a bit frozen but shot a 74 on Gullane number 2 on Sunday. Had a 6 footer for 73 as well.

No idea where that came from.

Came across this guys. If your interested in a bit more analysis of your golf. Edinburgh based company and you get 20% off the rrp if you buy early.

http://www.shotscope.com

Review here...

http://www.southerngolfreview.com/shot-scope-technologies-release/

I'm tempted to get this . will be about ?175 with that discount.. No more than a normal GPS these days...

Might actually find it how far I hit the ball rather than just making this stuff up.. Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that I hit my 3 wood further of the tee than my driver ...

Edited by Bigsmak

jack D and coke

I'm tempted to get this . will be about ?175 with that discount.. No more than a normal GPS these days...

Might actually find it who far I hit the ball rather than just making this stuff up.. Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that I hit my 3 wood further of the tee than my driver ...

Me and a mate are buying it. Like you say a decent GPS will cost you that anyway.

So the shot scope also acts as a GPS? I was considering investing in a GPS but this looks the business!!

I was about to ask the same question.. I don't know

Turns out that after showing it to my mate, it's a guy at his works brother that has developed it! I'll ask the question!

If it does then I'll be a over it, I'm an analytics geek so this looks right up my street!

It looks like it does. Suggests it will take your average length data for each club and will recommend what club to use for each shot.

Does it use the phones GPS then?

No idea. I was hoping that there would be distance details on the watch. I've got the Hole 19 app but it's a pain in the arse getting the phone out all the time. Looks like it'll be a proper GPS watch for me instead now.

Drove the 11th green at Longniddry while the group in front were walking on to it.

322 yards so wasn't expecting to get close. Clearly the wind helped a lot. :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

What do you guys use for GPS purposes, looking at the Garmin S2 or a Bushnell range finder.

Guy I play with has the Garmin S3 and it does the trick. Very accurate and has thousands of courses available. It was picked up on an Amazon special deal for around ?120 and now looking for one myself.

Guy I play with has the Garmin S3 and it does the trick. Very accurate and has thousands of courses available. It was picked up on an Amazon special deal for around ?120 and now looking for one myself.

I use my phone but it's just a hassle taking it out all the time, a watch would be much handier.

I'll have to look for the S3 as the S2 is ?120 too. Though, what's the difference?

Samuel Camazzola

I use my phone but it's just a hassle taking it out all the time, a watch would be much handier.

I'll have to look for the S3 as the S2 is ?120 too. Though, what's the difference?

I would have to do a comparison to see what enhancements the S3 has. If it was available at that price again, I'd certainly get it. The yardage updates instantly which was the most appealing to me. I'd need to see if the S2 did this.

The Bushnell would become a bit tiresome having to get it out each time I'd think and would be useless at blind shots (unless I'm proved wrong).

I would have to do a comparison to see what enhancements the S3 has. If it was available at that price again, I'd certainly get it. The yardage updates instantly which was the most appealing to me. I'd need to see if the S2 did this.

The Bushnell would become a bit tiresome having to get it out each time I'd think and would be useless at blind shots (unless I'm proved wrong).

I had a look and you get green readings on the S3 and a few more features. Bushnell certainly has it's benefits but as you say, not so great on blind holes.

Here's the S3 for under ?120.

http://thurgo.co.uk/item-43095-garmin-approach-s3-golf-watch-whitered-noh-010-n1049-10?source=googleps&gclid=CNi2r4vWxMoCFWnlwgod6zkLlw 

Samuel Camazzola

I had a look and you get green readings on the S3 and a few more features. Bushnell certainly has it's benefits but as you say, not so great on blind holes.

Here's the S3 for under ?120.

http://thurgo.co.uk/item-43095-garmin-approach-s3-golf-watch-whitered-noh-010-n1049-10?source=googleps&gclid=CNi2r4vWxMoCFWnlwgod6zkLlw

I may refer that offer to American Golf as they will price match. From what I've seen of the watch, it provides an accurate and quick yardage which is all I need.

Cheers

I may refer that offer to American Golf as they will price match. From what I've seen of the watch, it provides an accurate and quick yardage which is all I need.

Cheers

The ones in the link are refurbed so if American Golf notice that I'd imagine that negates the price match offer. You don't have to tell them of course, so worth a try.

Samuel Camazzola

The ones in the link are refurbed so if American Golf notice that I'd imagine that negates the price match offer. You don't have to tell them of course, so worth a try.

True.

I'll keep an eye out for Amazon doing them at the reduced price.

I didn't even notice that!

It looks like it does. Suggests it will take your average length data for each club and will recommend what club to use for each shot.

This would be pointless then as it wouldn't be allowed to be used in competition if it suggests clubs

This would be pointless then as it wouldn't be allowed to be used in competition if it suggests clubs

Looking for a half decent 3 wood, any advice on what make to get.

Looking for a half decent 3 wood, any advice on what make to get.

3 wood:   Titleist 915F

Shotscope:   You couldn't use that in competition and it doesn't have GPS - if anything it'll give you yardages of each club which will help BUT you really only need to find this out and then you wouldn't need to use it.

Rangefinder:   I use Golfshot Pro on the iPhone.  My mate, who's a pro, swears by the Bushnell as he can laser direct to the pin, there's none of this front/back/centre malarky, with the Golfshot I can move the green to where i think the hole is to it can be more specific, I've also got all my scorecards for the last 4 years saved.

Taylor Made:   Not sure how true this is.  But the word on (Pro) street is if the M2 flops for Taylor Made then Adidas are meant to be dumping them, they're costing Adidas too much money.  They've released so much kit in recent years that the second hand market is flooded with decent Taylor Made kit, they reckon that the M2 being released 3 months after the ?399 M1 is a panic.

Rounds I have coming up in February - St Andrews Bay Torrance (?25, that rate is available until the end of March, full greens, tee's and no mats), Panmure near Dundee and the Queens Course at Gleneagles.

3 wood:   Titleist 915F

Shotscope:   You couldn't use that in competition and it doesn't have GPS - if anything it'll give you yardages of each club which will help BUT you really only need to find this out and then you wouldn't need to use it.

Rangefinder:   I use Golfshot Pro on the iPhone.  My mate, who's a pro, swears by the Bushnell as he can laser direct to the pin, there's none of this front/back/centre malarky, with the Golfshot I can move the green to where i think the hole is to it can be more specific, I've also got all my scorecards for the last 4 years saved.

Taylor Made:   Not sure how true this is.  But the word on (Pro) street is if the M2 flops for Taylor Made then Adidas are meant to be dumping them, they're costing Adidas too much money.  They've released so much kit in recent years that the second hand market is flooded with decent Taylor Made kit, they reckon that the M2 being released 3 months after the ?399 M1 is a panic.

Rounds I have coming up in February - St Andrews Bay Torrance (?25, that rate is available until the end of March, full greens, tee's and no mats), Panmure near Dundee and the Queens Course at Gleneagles.

Cheers bud , just priced it, 220 pounds, looks like the real deal though.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread