Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Keith is a great golfer. It was the Gullane winter fours. Just the second round. But both round we have beat seasoned winter league players. Actually happy with my golf for a change.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I attempted to go for 9 holes on Sunday on my own, I'll certainly not be doing it again in a hurry when the sun is out, 6 of the 9 holes faced into the sun making it impossible to track the ball. Guesswork as to where it landed.

scots civil war

great stuff b.s      that nicholson fella make it look easy does he?

what is it about him,short game second to none ?

ive got a shank in my locker at the moment,horrible stuff

think ive got poor release and from the inside too much

how do you fix something like that

Disser Pointon

great stuff b.s that nicholson fella make it look easy does he?

what is it about him,short game second to none ?

ive got a shank in my locker at the moment,horrible stuff

think ive got poor release and from the inside too much

how do you fix something like that

I suffer from the occasional unmentionables and had a great playing lesson with my pro a couple of months back. He told me I was leaning into the ball and getting ahead of it in the downswing. Try keeping the upper half of your body quieter and think about keeping your left ear behind the ball through the downswing it's worked wonders for me.

Good luck, I know how horrible it is!

A shank is when you hit the ball with the hozzle. Set up an inch further away from the ball so that the toe of the club is at the centre of the ball. This seems strange at first. But hit some shots like this. Might also induce a draw in your game.

As for Keith.. It's consistency. Every shot is the same. The irons go the same distance each time and with the same shape. Makes it easy to score. Me.. I have no idea if I'm about to fit a fade, slice, draw or hook. Sometimes it goes straight... Ho hum

Edited by Bigsmak

scots civil war

ive a session with eric grandison at craigielaw next week,video thing as well courtesy birthday present

gain some insight that way.its so fine as my posture and backswing swingplane is bang on but i do something crazy in that downswing

and im in danger,the strike marks on my clubs can be so close to the hosel its unnerving

starting to fluff chips as well as armitages

horrible stuff for the mind

Disser Pointon

Anybody been anywhere good for stay and play recently I'm starting to look at the lads weekend away next year? Went to Drumoig last year which was great and would happily head back there if we couldn't come up with anywhere different that suited. Don't want to travel an awful lot further than that.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody been anywhere good for stay and play recently I'm starting to look at the lads weekend away next year? Went to Drumoig last year which was great and would happily head back there if we couldn't come up with anywhere different that suited. Don't want to travel an awful lot further than that.

Cheers

Monifieth/Ashludie,Stay in Premier Travel inn,5 minute taxi into Broughty Ferry.Plenty good pubs

I'm back to smashing my drive again.

Went through a horrid time for about 1 month of not knowing where my ball was going to go with the driver.

The confidence that a good drive gives you for the rest of your game is unbalievable!

• 2 weeks later...
scots civil war

anybod getting their fix in at the holidays?

was at leven sunday,ground rock hard and a bit of a challenge to say the leas ball landing and careering along ground for miles......beautiful day over there n all

north berwick glen yeasterday,played well enough and greens in very good condition for this time of year

crail balcomie links on sunday ,looking forward to that

sorted out my armitages where the hands at the top of the swing were flattening so coming back into the ball was very flat and from the inside,dodgy position to say the least

Edited by scots civil war

Played the first medal of the year today. 76 - nett 71.. had 10 pars in a row to finish off but was so out of practice for the first 8 holes I was 5 over before i knew it. 

Quite enjoyed it until I got into the clubhouse to see that my dad shot a net 66... Bugger. 

First round of 2015 coming up tomorrow, just a bounce game over 9 holes but having not played in 8 weeks I'm not expecting much!

Poor start with 4 doubles but calmed down after that and finished the last 5 in +3 for a +11 which is bang on my 22 HC.

Content with that after 8 weeks of no play and the course was frozen too which made chipping and putting difficult.

That's good going under the circumstances. I'd be happy with that, and I'm on 16 HC.

Cheers Robster, it was tough going. Hit an inch perfect 100 yard wedge into the 9th green only for it to end up about 20 yards through the back! Luckily it's the first tee area at the back of the 9th otherwise I'd have been dealing with a lost ball!!

Where did you play?

When I've come home to visit my parents around this time, I play with my dad at Killin, and it's tight at the best of times.

Target golf when it's frozen, it's really not!

I'm a Fifer, have the Fife Rover ticket that lets me on the 7 council run courses for ?300 a year.

There's a 9 hole course on it that is 5 minutes from my house so I play there when out for a piss about...it's not the best (that's being kind).

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a game in this morning. Hitting the ball well but on a few holes was taking 3 or 4 to get down from the side of the green. It was windy and cold and I am blaming that. 

Looking forward to the season ahead! 

We should have a Kickback challenge to try and cut our handicaps by 20% this year. 

What do you think?

20% would be 3.2 so three shots.. If you can start holing birdie chips more often then it shouldn't be an issue....

Edited by Bigsmak

Disser Pointon

I managed to get down from 7.1 to 5.3 towards the end of this season. Been working on some things with our pro but, without being pessimistic, I doubt I will be able to knock another 20% off that as it would take far more practice time than I can commit to with family, but you never know!

P.S. What a collapse by Kaymer yesterday, didn't see that coming.

I've been playing for a couple of years now but never bothered to get my handicap/play medals however this year I really want to see some progress so I'll be hoping to participate in a couple of medals a month.

I generally knock round a golf course between 20-24 over.

20% = 16-19.2...that 16 seems a million miles away!

Walter Bishop

Managed to get a game in this morning. Hitting the ball well but on a few holes was taking 3 or 4 to get down from the side of the green. It was windy and cold and I am blaming that. 

Looking forward to the season ahead! 

We should have a Kickback challenge to try and cut our handicaps by 20% this year. 

What do you think?

Id be up for that, Ive just rejoined my local club after a 6 year absence from the game, been given my old handicap of 7! Target is to get to 5 by end of the year. 

I don't think I improved much at all last year overall. My putting definitely got better but my irons got worse to compensate. I also had a long battle with the shanks early in the year.

I don't think I improved much at all last year overall. My putting definitely got better but my irons got worse to compensate. I also had a long battle with the shanks early in the year.

Probably in the same boat. I used to hook it a fair bit but would at least remain in a playable position. The hook turned to a horrid slice overnight. Only felt like I made any real progress from about August onwards. Really knuckling down this year.

Im in. Currently off 20 and that's down to lack of competitive play. Last two rounds of season were about 78 so I'm targeting a good slashing to about 14-15 this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for the season to start, currently play off 8 but think I can get down to 6 if I work hard enough.

Really starting to bomb my drives but having trouble with my 3 wood recently. Keep topping it with the occasional squirt out right.

Well that's my 'winter' handicap given a big dent over the last 2 weeks. Runner up then winner in the last 2 Sunday sweeps. Went from 12 - 11 - 8, more of the same in summer hopefully. Finally hitting more straight drives.

I played at the weekend. 78 scratch with a four putt on the tenth. And a 5 putt on the 18th.. I was a 'little' aggressive with my second putts and it cost me a bit.

Lol.. I'm stupid.

Edited by Bigsmak

jack D and coke

Sky have bought the exclusive rights to The Open from 2017. Not a good thing for BBC to be losing them in my opinion.

I always thought The Open, Wimbledon and the FA cup final were protected? Poor show theyve went back on that.

Sky have bought the exclusive rights to The Open from 2017. Not a good thing for BBC to be losing them in my opinion.

Sky's Ryder Cup singles coverage was very poor. Only seen first 4 or 5 matches teeing off at the first, unacceptable.

I always thought The Open, Wimbledon and the FA cup final were protected? Poor show theyve went back on that.

I thought so too, along with The Grand National and some other events. Must no longer be the case. Maybe not legally enforceable anymore.

Do you think this will have an impact for prices at the gate........been too high the last few years. A deal with Sky will give them more money so maybe they can afford to reduce the entrance fee to watch it.

Samuel Camazzola

BBC only recently regained the FA Cup as ITV had this for a few seasons I believe.

The BBC golf coverage is not the best. Wayne Grady, Sam Torrance and Hazel Irvine do a good job but it's been pretty stagnant for a while.

jack D and coke

BBC only recently regained the FA Cup as ITV had this for a few seasons I believe.

The BBC golf coverage is not the best. Wayne Grady, Sam Torrance and Hazel Irvine do a good job but it's been pretty stagnant for a while.

I don't know I like the BBC's coverage more than Sky's. At least there's not breaks every 10 minutes. That's beside the point anyway I was under the impression these tournaments were part of the fabric of the UK and everyone had a right to see them.

Taking things off terrestrial TV and into the hands of subscription or PPV broadcasters doesn't do them any good imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone a member of Haddington ??

I have a few uncles who play there and im getting offered the discount and considering it as I'm  only a 20min drive from it.

Does it play ok in winter??  im going to play it this weekend but just looking for members advice.

Does anyone have any Jetspeed or Baffler gear and could offer opinion on them? Looking at a new hybrid and getting good prices on them both.

Anyone a member of Haddington ??

I have a few uncles who play there and im getting offered the discount and considering it as I'm only a 20min drive from it.

Does it play ok in winter?? im going to play it this weekend but just looking for members advice.

All I know is that it can get very wet.

Disser Pointon

Anyone know anyone who fits grips in the Lothians/Edinburgh I'd rather buy my own online and get them fitted than pay over the odds to my pro?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread