Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

The Mighty Thor

Having a look about for a driver, the cheek of some folk in the second hand market :lol:

Example - one year old TM Jetspeed ?100. Found it brand new for ?110!

Mate i've got a Jet Speed HL and a RBZ stage 2 driver up for sale. PM me if you're interested.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06

Mate i've got a Jet Speed HL and a RBZ stage 2 driver up for sale. PM me if you're interested.

I'm trialling a few over the next couple of weeks but I'll give you a shout if none suit :thumbsup:

Whoa!

Went round Carrick Knowe again this evening and scored 90!

Out in 46, back in 44.

I knew the 100 was a monkey on my back and with a bit of regular play over summer I could beat it by a few strokes, but I wasn't expecting to hit 90 less than a week after getting below the ton!

Loving the golf at the moment.

Andyeyespy

Couple of nice 3 wheeler push trolleys on gumtree.

Not much cheaper than buying new tho!

If Money wasn't an issue, some amazing electric ones at braids American golf.

Between ?250-?1000

Rudolf's Mate

Couple of nice 3 wheeler push trolleys on gumtree.

Not much cheaper than buying new tho!

If Money wasn't an issue, some amazing electric ones at braids American golf.

Between ?250-?1000

The ?250 is that new?

hmfc_liam06

So the shanks off the tee returned...went online and bought a random 5 wood for ?15 in the thinking that I can break myself into using woods.

Pinging it :lol:

Happy days!

15 to 20 mph gusting winds, a few squalls and wall to wall sunshine at Gullane on Sunday pleeeeeeeze.

7200 yards, some finding it difficult, 2 under leads after 9.

Heading out to Ridgewood Lakes Golf and Country Club in about 4 hours. First time on a Florida course....should be an experience!

Heading out to Ridgewood Lakes Golf and Country Club in about 4 hours. First time on a Florida course....should be an experience!

Massively jealous.

Some course like! Not much undulation but plenty water (I suppose there's a clue in the name) me and the eldest laddie went out with 12 balls and finished with 2!

Some course like! Not much undulation but plenty water ( I suppose there's a clue in the name) Me and the eldest laddie (14yrs) went out with 12 balls and finished with 2!

Disser Pointon

Justin Rose just split some poor old chaps head open with a drive, does my head in when the pros don't shout fore, they should get fined for it.

Disser Pointon

He'll get a nice golf ball or maybe a signed cap from Rose afterwards.

That'll make up for the stitches & concussion...

Correct. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Disser Pointon

Heading over to Canada next week, bit of traveling and the rest staying with the wife's relatives who stay on a 45 hole resort........result!

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Sorry to interrupt a long running thread?

Do any if you real golf fans know of anywhere I can pick up tickets for The Open at St Andrews? I'm hoping to get them in my hands over the weekend and avoid using ticketmaster.

Played a match yesterday in a knockout competition. I had to give up 7 shots to my opponent even though he hit the ball 300 yards of the tee. I Was 2 down at the turn despite playing out of my skin. At this point the sun came out and got pretty warm so the guy I was playing nipped into the loos to get his shorts on. When he came back he was wearing these ridiculous lime green shorts along with a dark green polo shirt which was about 2 sizes too small. Walking down the 10th (a shot hole for him) the topic of football sprung up. Turns out he's been a season ticket holder at Easter road for the past 20 years and a die hard hibee.

There was no chance he was beating me after that, I birdied 5 of the remaining 8 holes and beat him 2&1. Never played golf like especially on the harder 9.

Smug doesn't even come close to describe how I felt

hmfc_liam06

It's funny how a tee shot skews folks opinion of a players ability.

For example, a friend of mine joined me at an outing, he plays off 22 but absolutely smashes his drives for miles. So when he sticks his first drive at the outing way down the middle everyone was crying foul. As soon as he hits wedge range he's awful.

He's 22 for a reason.

It's funny how a tee shot skews folks opinion of a players ability.

For example, a friend of mine joined me at an outing, he plays off 22 but absolutely smashes his drives for miles. So when he sticks his first drive at the outing way down the middle everyone was crying foul. As soon as he hits wedge range he's awful.

He's 22 for a reason.

Sounds like me tbh.

:sob:

hmfc_liam06

Sounds like me tbh.

:sob:

Hugs x

I'm the complete opposite! I'm at the first tee, every on the floor pissing themselves at my latest shocker off the tee then boom, the second shot goes a distance, wedge on, two putt and take my bogey (I'm also 22 HC).

Golf eh!!

Rudolf's Mate

I probably fall into the same category as so many on here.

Played a fair bit when I was younger but never been fitted or had a lesson. Couldn't hit a driver at all until 3 years ago (38) but that was only because I decided not to be shit scared of it and used it off every tee until I was happy.

My short game was alway decent however sorting my driving out saw me go from 110 on a demanding course to 80 in a matter of 3 months. Admittedly playing 4 times a week for 2 months also helped.

Missed last year due to injuries and I'm back to square 1 with my driving :sob:

Was giving serious consideration to an electric trolley however I think I'm going to get fitted.

Rudolf's Mate

Anyone used some of the larger stores such as American Golf etc for fitting and would they recommend? My local club isn't that local and there's 2 stores much closer.

hmfc_liam06

I've never used them for a driver fitting but have bought everything else with American Golf and couldn't fault the service. If you're buying a fair bit with them they'll offer a deal too.

Rudolf's Mate

I've never used them for a driver fitting but have bought everything else with American Golf and couldn't fault the service. If you're buying a fair bit with them they'll offer a deal too.

Bought my Taylor Made drivers from them already so it's just the irons I'm after. They've also got a decent range which is also an advantage.

Anyone used some of the larger stores such as American Golf etc for fitting and would they recommend? My local club isn't that local and there's 2 stores much closer.

I've had my clubs custom fitted at American golf.

Very happy with the results.

If u have a club card they will give u a free 30 minute fitting.

I got new thicker grips with after measuring my hands.

My club heads 2* upright and shafts 1/4 extended.

?116 well worth it as I play 3 times a week

scots civil war

Played a match yesterday in a knockout competition. I had to give up 7 shots to my opponent even though he hit the ball 300 yards of the tee. I Was 2 down at the turn despite playing out of my skin. At this point the sun came out and got pretty warm so the guy I was playing nipped into the loos to get his shorts on. When he came back he was wearing these ridiculous lime green shorts along with a dark green polo shirt which was about 2 sizes too small. Walking down the 10th (a shot hole for him) the topic of football sprung up. Turns out he's been a season ticket holder at Easter road for the past 20 years and a die hard hibee.

There was no chance he was beating me after that, I birdied 5 of the remaining 8 holes and beat him 2&1. Never played golf like especially on the harder 9.

Smug doesn't even come close to describe how I felt

oh man,thats the best thing ive read in a while

well done mate ,proud of you for sticking it right up the welt.......

top stuff

Samuel Camazzola

Travel the distance and support the local pro.

Rudolf's Mate

Travel the distance and support the local pro.

I'm told that I'll pay more than I would at a store. Would normally be happy to if I knew the guy however I don't know him from Adam.

Heard that I'd get a better service from my local pro which is why I asked the question. That said, if it's not the case then I wouldn't be happy paying extra especially if it was ?100+ just to support my local pro.

Samuel Camazzola

I'm told that I'll pay more than I would at a store. Would normally be happy to if I knew the guy however I don't know him from Adam.

Heard that I'd get a better service from my local pro which is why I asked the question. That said, if it's not the case then I wouldn't be happy paying extra especially if it was ?100+ just to support my local pro.

Out of interest, where are you based?

If you have shortlist of sets in mind/price bracket you are willing to pay, it makes sense to see what the main stores are quoting. Use these as a bargaining tool.

From a personal point of view, I highly recommended the Mizuno irons and their fitting process. Kurt Mungall who is now based at King's Acre provides a superb service should this be within your vicinity.

Rudolf's Mate

Out of interest, where are you based?

If you have shortlist of sets in mind/price bracket you are willing to pay, it makes sense to see what the main stores are quoting. Use these as a bargaining tool.

From a personal point of view, I highly recommended the Mizuno irons and their fitting process. Kurt Mungall who is now based at King's Acre provides a superb service should this be within your vicinity.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the gear mate. Previously I've always bought based on the look of it and not given a thought on how it might handle.

I'm near Portsmouth and my price range is up to ?550. I'd prefer to come in under that but if possible but happy to pay if it means I'm definitely getting equipment better suited to my needs.

This place called Precision Golf http://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/ isn't too far from me. It looks really good however they charge around ?150 for a 90 min session however you've also then got the clubs and adaptions after that.

If I played a hell of a lot is possibly consider putting more money into it but can't really justify it tbh.

Rudolf's Mate

Went to American Golf and not impressed.

The first thing I was asked was my price range which is fine however they then concentrated on irons near the top end of what I stated. Tried 4 clubs and all I was told was whether I was hitting one better (higher/further) than the others. That was it! 

Went to American Golf and not impressed.

The first thing I was asked was my price range which is fine however they then concentrated on irons near the top end of what I stated. Tried 4 clubs and all I was told was whether I was hitting one better (higher/further) than the others. That was it!

Did you hit balls into a virtual golf type screen? Speaking from past experience it's Maybe worth searching for club professionals that use trackman when fitting.

Also, the most important part of the club is the shaft. I doubt American golf etc will have access to as wide a range as a fitting pro.

I realise it's not ideal for yourself but I got fitted for my woods at cragmillar park by Scott gourlay. Could not recommend it enough and not once was I pressured into taking the most expensive option. It really was what suited me. I'll be back for irons at the end of the year

Rudolf's Mate

Did you hit balls into a virtual golf type screen? Speaking from past experience it's Maybe worth searching for club professionals that use trackman when fitting.

Also, the most important part of the club is the shaft. I doubt American golf etc will have access to as wide a range as a fitting pro.

I realise it's not ideal for yourself but I got fitted for my woods at cragmillar park by Scott gourlay. Could not recommend it enough and not once was I pressured into taking the most expensive option. It really was what suited me. I'll be back for irons at the end of the year

It was at a net with the angle/distance displayed on a lcd screen at the side.

I'd forgotten about Cams Hall GC which is only about 20 mins from me. I've decided to book lessons (5 or 6) and take it from there. Never had lessons before so I could really benefit from it plus it lets me see what the pro's like. If all's good I'll probably go through him for fitting.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid above the price of your drivers for fitting?

It was at a net with the angle/distance displayed on a lcd screen at the side.

I'd forgotten about Cams Hall GC which is only about 20 mins from me. I've decided to book lessons (5 or 6) and take it from there. Never had lessons before so I could really benefit from it plus it lets me see what the pro's like. If all's good I'll probably go through him for fitting.

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid above the price of your drivers for fitting?

I'm sure it said on the receipt it was ?50 for the fitting (driver, 3 wood and rescue). But because I ordered from him I got that back. It was the same when I got my current irons from the local pro a few years so I thought that was standard?

Rudolf's Mate

I'm sure it said on the receipt it was ?50 for the fitting (driver, 3 wood and rescue). But because I ordered from him I got that back. It was the same when I got my current irons from the local pro a few years so I thought that was standard?

This is probably me being clueless but I thought they would look at the length of shaft, head angle and grip and adjust to suit my needs. As in me finding a set of irons that felt good and them then adapting them as such. I expected this to cost a few ? on top of the clubs.

This is probably me being clueless but I thought they would look at the length of shaft, head angle and grip and adjust to suit my needs. As in me finding a set of irons that felt good and them then adapting them as such. I expected this to cost a few ? on top of the clubs.

I wouldn't have thought they'd adjust them theresleves. The guy I used had lots of demo heads, lots of shafts and just screwed them together to find the best for me. They'll order from the manufacturer when they have the correct spec. I may well be wrong by the way. Just what's happened in my previous experience...

Rudolf's Mate

I wouldn't have thought they'd adjust them theresleves. The guy I used had lots of demo heads, lots of shafts and just screwed them together to find the best for me. They'll order from the manufacturer when they have the correct spec. I may well be wrong by the way. Just what's happened in my previous experience...

I did say I was pretty clueless:lol:

I think what I'm talking about is completely bespoke clubs which would no doubt cost a few quid.

Disser Pointon

I'd also endorse Scott at Craigmillar Park, he'll match a shaft and lie angle to your swing and is as close as you'll get to a bespoke set.

Rudolf's Mate

The guy is in Portsmouth :lol:

Have an outing tomorrow, 40mph winds, cany wait!

:lol: aye that might be somewhat of an issue.

hmfc_liam06

Winds weren't anywhere near as bad as expected, very strong but certainly not the 40mph winds forecast (therefore I've no idea why there hasn't been any golf played in St Andrews).

We played Tulliallan, reasonably long course as it is but made longer with the holes with wind in your face, typically this was always the longer holes!! Despite a nightmare round, the course was pretty good, very difficult in places with a lot of hidden streams running through it. Bunkers were awful though.

Played in the weekly medal today, been struggling recently so 14 pars in a row was very welcome. Unfortunately I ended up with 16 pars, 1 birdie and 1 TREBLE bogey for a nett level par. Looking like 70 (2under nett) won. Sickening

Edited by StSow

Samuel Camazzola

Played Charleton Golf Club this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. A good variety of holes with excellent greens. Staying out of the rough is essential as it's knee-high!

Tee-off Times website have reduced rates at ?15 which compensates for any travelling required as it is on the way to Anstruther.

RealMaroonCF

Played the royal yesterday. Greens in best contrition I have ever seen. Incredible. Lightning quick and true

West linton for me today

Edited by RealMaroonCF

hmfc_liam06

Played the royal yesterday. Greens in best contrition I have ever seen. Incredible. Lightning quick and true

West linton for me today

Good stuff :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
hmfc_liam06

Ended up unable to play Musselburgh as my mate had to change the day and we couldn't get on it yesterday so we played Charleton (up by Elie) instead.

Lovely course, greens were terrific and a bargain at ?16 via teeofftimes.co.uk

Samuel Camazzola

Ended up unable to play Musselburgh as my mate had to change the day and we couldn't get on it yesterday so we played Charleton (up by Elie) instead.

Lovely course, greens were terrific and a bargain at ?16 via teeofftimes.co.uk

Great course and agree with your assessment of the greens.

I hit the biggest drive of my life there and nearly drove the 10th! 350+ yards

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread