Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Kinross and Balbirnie Park last week. Thornton this weekend. I think the rain will have been and gone by then too.

Played Kinross last month. Decent course but it was absolutely pishing it down when I played which ruined it somewhat.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The greens are immaculate and true and the back nine is where the low scoring is made. With it being a parkland course, it needs to be played between May and November.

It's been over a year since I was last there to be fair, in fact it'll be coming up for two as I remember the course being absolutely covered in leaves, was a nightmare trying to find your ball!

That aside I've no complaints about the course itself, I've just never enjoyed a round there.

Enjoyed King James, it's very short in places with a couple holes bumping up the overall distance of the course. Was in good nick though the fairways were a bit on the long side.

Scored a net 73 +5.

A 6 on the 238 yard par 3 15th cost me big time.

What type of balls would you guy say are best for control round the greens, backspin etc? I have been using srixon soft feel balls the lat few times and they seem to be working better for me round the greens than say pro v1s, also what is the best way to generate more spin on the ball, ball position etc when using a 60 degree for instance?

Samuel Camazzola

What type of balls would you guy say are best for control round the greens, backspin etc? I have been using srixon soft feel balls the lat few times and they seem to be working better for me round the greens than say pro v1s, also what is the best way to generate more spin on the ball, ball position etc when using a 60 degree for instance

All premium balls (Srixon Z Star, Titleist Pro v etc...) are designed for this type if control but you have to ensure your club grooves are clean and you have a good lie. Ball then turf contact promotes the spin but a club like a PW will generate more backspin than a 60 wedge.

I find aligning the ball between the centre of your stance and back foot allows for the club to come down on a steeper plane and create more spin.

Practice to perfect a consistent strike.

Played Cardrona on Saturday - had an absolute 'mare. 18mph winds didn't help. Don't think I hit a single clean iron shot the whole round.

105 :vrface:

What type of balls would you guy say are best for control round the greens, backspin etc? I have been using srixon soft feel balls the lat few times and they seem to be working better for me round the greens than say pro v1s, also what is the best way to generate more spin on the ball, ball position etc when using a 60 degree for instance?

Soft feel are a great starter ball and for the higher handicapper the get you think of the strike.

If you have a club you are great at hitting try a pro v , z star or bridgey rxs....they are massive underrated, and you'll see what you can achieve.

To get the best spin strike like a match...accelerate through the ball and a shortish follow through. Watch the Harmon videos on you tube. The ball back in the stance is oot necessary. Get it where you get all the ball, before the turf.

All premium balls (Srixon Z Star, Titleist Pro v etc...) are designed for this type if control but you have to ensure your club grooves are clean and you have a good lie. Ball then turf contact promotes the spin but a club like a PW will generate more backspin than a 60 wedge.

I find aligning the ball between the centre of your stance and back foot allows for the club to come down on a steeper plane and create more spin.

Practice to perfect a consistent strike.

Soft feel are a great starter ball and for the higher handicapper the get you think of the strike.

If you have a club you are great at hitting try a pro v , z star or bridgey rxs....they are massive underrated, and you'll see what you can achieve.

To get the best spin strike like a match...accelerate through the ball and a shortish follow through. Watch the Harmon videos on you tube. The ball back in the stance is oot necessary. Get it where you get all the ball, before the turf.

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

I play TaylorMade Tour Preferred. Great ball. Very Very similar to Pro V's but doesnt cut up as much. Great straight ball flight and spin is there if needed (able to generate it!!!) Highly recommend them. American golf sell them for ?37 a dozen but you also get a 2 ball tester pack with that so if you dont like them you can return the dozen

Has anyone played Silverknowes lately and can feedback on how the course is? Playing there in a couple of weeks. Been a while since I've played it.

When I played a couple of months back, if you didn't hit the fairway your ball was lost. The 'light' rough was ridiculous and about 4 inches deep.

Edited by Ray Gin

Silverknowes is a nightmare.

Constantly got the locals cutting through the course, kids stealing the pins and the local neds riding stolen motorbikes on the greens.

Just remembered last time I played Silverknowes there was an object lying on the edge of the fairway on the 18th hole, around 240 yards from the tee. Looked like a discarded golf bag or something. My drive ended up on line right for it, only just clearing it by about 10 yards or so before landing.

As we walked up the fairway we actually discovered that it was some trampy looking bloke lying down having a sleep in one of the most ridiculous locations imaginable.

Played a 3 club competition around Gullane no.3 yesterday. Took 4 iron, 9 and putter. 32 points in a strong wind. Played well but 3 putted 6 times (from just of the greens as well) so a little annoyed. I'm playing about once a month right now so it's hard to have any consistency.

Just can't seem to be able to score well at the moment....inside 100yds is killing my game...not getting down well enough....confidence has gone....back for more though.

Just can't seem to be able to score well at the moment....inside 100yds is killing my game...not getting down well enough....confidence has gone....back for more though.

The strongest part of my game however it completely deserted me on Saturday. Was either getting right under the ball and flopping it or rolling the ball up the club face and going about 5 yards.

I think my choice of shot is giving me more problems..with the greens being soft I should be more aggressive up to the pin, but too many times I come up short...hardly ever go past the pin..all in the mind...

scots civil war

`As we walked up the fairway we actually discovered that it was some trampy looking bloke lying down having a sleep in one of the most ridiculous locations imaginable.`

hehe,thats silverknowes for ya

I think my choice of shot is giving me more problems..with the greens being soft I should be more aggressive up to the pin, but too many times I come up short...hardly ever go past the pin..all in the mind...

YouTube Seve chipping...

Ultimately, chipping, pitching, sand play are all down to two things imo. Number 1, understanding the technique required. Number 2, being able to execute the technique yourself.

The same goes for getting spin on shots etc.

For number 1, the likes of you tube are a great free source of 'how to'

Number 2 , I'm afraid is down to good old practice. You need a bag of 12-20 balls an get down your course and practice. Just an hour or so, late in the evening when it's quiet is best. After 3-4 sessions you'll be getting the hang of the shots you can execute and it's those you can use. Continue to practice all the others until you get them.

Even when you become a good short game player, you must keep polishing your technique. I.e. keep practicing!

Just remembered last time I played Silverknowes there was an object lying on the edge of the fairway on the 18th hole, around 240 yards from the tee. Looked like a discarded golf bag or something. My drive ended up on line right for it, only just clearing it by about 10 yards or so before landing.

As we walked up the fairway we actually discovered that it was some trampy looking bloke lying down having a sleep in one of the most ridiculous locations imaginable.

:laugh:

I just purchased one of those council season tickets recently so I have been playing a lot the last few weeks. I find Siverknowes by far the hardest out of all the courses. Never get a good score and the 16th par 4 wouldn't look out of place on a Championship course. Manged to shoot a 79 at Carricknowe which was well pleasing because I'm pish.

The 16th at Silverknowes is a joke!

Was ok a few years ago when u could drive over the trees but now the trees are 200 feet tall it's more like a par 5.

The braids is by far the best and hardest council course in edinburgh.

If u have played the braids off the yellow tees u highly recommend next time off the whites.

I could go round scratch off the yellows but when I started playing off the whites it took me about 6 attempts to break 80.

1st, 7th, 8th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th

All make a huge difference being further back or even changing the angle of the hole. For example the 8th.

Brilliant course.

The 16th at Silverknowes is a joke!

Was ok a few years ago when u could drive over the trees but now the trees are 200 feet tall it's more like a par 5.

The braids is by far the best and hardest council course in edinburgh.

If u have played the braids off the yellow tees u highly recommend next time off the whites.

I could go round scratch off the yellows but when I started playing off the whites it took me about 6 attempts to break 80.

1st, 7th, 8th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th

All make a huge difference being further back or even changing the angle of the hole. For example the 8th.

Brilliant course.

I'm looking at a couple of Edinburgh council courses for next years society outings, I guess you'd recommend the Braids? Any others? We normally look to pay up to ?30 a round.

Used to really enjoy the Braids....always good condition and a fair test.....I was a member of Torphin for 20 years until I moved away...alas club no more....shame, as it was the friendliest club I have known. Was a good Hearts following and a token few Hobos to make it fun....

First ever Hole in One on Sunday at Pumpherston. 15th 185 yards into the into the wind NAILED. Because it was a competition I also get a Hugo Boss watch. Result

First ever Hole in One on Sunday at Pumpherston. 15th 185 yards into the into the wind NAILED. Because it was a competition I also get a Hugo Boss watch. Result

Brilliant

The Future's Maroon

I got a hole in one at Dalmahoy (4th hole I think on the East) last year sometime, the next time I played the same hole I shot a seven?! Golf can be so frustrating sometimes lol.

I dont play often enough so consistency just goes out the window, played last week and after the first two holes (Dalmahoy West) I put the Driver back in the back and never used it again the rest of the round, just stuck to my 3 iron which I was hitting just as far as the two other guys drives. As someone above said, under 100 yrds kills my round everytime.

Off to play today at half one so need to do a bit of Youtube searching for more hints/tips - although sometimes I feel all that does is gives me too much to think about when on the course.

I am in a competition with mates all summer on all our respective courses and I have a 22 handicap (Kingsacre) but depending on your scores for your stableford your handicap can go up or down if they were under 36 points on any round score, so by the time I played last week I was on 26.

Played Craigentinny and shot 47 stableford hahaha ridiculous and handicap immediately cut to 21.

Needless to say this is the first year we have all done it and we need to refine the handicap better for the movement of it but when you get 47 stableford you know its not quite right :-)

Edited by Jamboelite

We do a stableford once a week and whoever wins is cut 2 shots no matter what they score....you can't go back up,so it makes you get used it playing off a lower handicap....it means the sweep money gets round nearly everyone during the season. Down side is if you win more than a couple of times you find a very hard handicap to play to and you might not have even played to your higher handicap before....eg...win with only scoring 30pts and still lose 2 shots.....tough sweep.

We do a stableford once a week and whoever wins is cut 2 shots no matter what they score....you can't go back up,so it makes you get used it playing off a lower handicap....it means the sweep money gets round nearly everyone during the season. Down side is if you win more than a couple of times you find a very hard handicap to play to and you might not have even played to your higher handicap before....eg...win with only scoring 30pts and still lose 2 shots.....tough sweep.

Seems like a good system though might throw that one to the guys.

The way we do ours is automatic 1 stroke cut for winning. We also have a buffer zone of 30-34, if you are below you go up 0.1 for every stroke below (to a max of 0.4 per outing) and if you are above you go down 0.1 per stroke (no max).

It's proving a success so far.

The way we do ours is automatic 1 stroke cut for winning. We also have a buffer zone of 30-34, if you are below you go up 0.1 for every stroke below (to a max of 0.4 per outing) and if you are above you go down 0.1 per stroke (no max).

It's proving a success so far.

Thats really good as well

Thats really good as well

It's working well. It means you can't gain a stroke in one outing but you can be cut by anything. A 47 score would seen you cut 2.3.

It's working well. It means you can't gain a stroke in one outing but you can be cut by anything. A 47 score would seen you cut 2.3.

Looks like that's the method we are going for from now on :2thumbsup:

Guys, struggling off the tee (again).........any good tips, video links etc for poor old me.

What are you doing hooking, slicing just not getting decent contact ??

I have slowed my backswing down considerably which has helped me straighten my driving as Im not swinging like a maniac.

When I struggle of the tee it's normally fixed by.....slowing down my swing....loosen my grip...move hands a bit in front of the ball and a deep breath to relax...annoying game it can be.

Have weekend away to Oulton Hall this weekend...2 competions over 2 days and a aggregate score at the end...course more open than used to and quicker greens, just what I like.

I'm a slicer but trying sometimes to hard to correct so pull/puch it straight left

Could be several causes. Grip/swing plane/ball position in set-up/break of wrists etc.

Watch some tutorials and then go to a range and try out the various fixes until you find the one that cures your fault, or ideally get a lesson.

scots civil war

nice when you pick up a bargain putter

clocked in american golf a few months ago,a never compromise sub 30,type 20 brand new putter for a ton

50 sheets off ebay,cant wait to use it tomora

sign of a good putter is when you plonk it down on the floor it sits perfectly to your eye

83 at Craigentinny today. First time I've broken 90 on that course - for some reason I usually have a stinker on it.

Big improvement on my 99 at Braids last week. What a difference it makes not being hungover.

mulleted_jambo

Played up at Carnoustie at the weekend and was class. Luck enough to have a dry day(slightly damp under foot but not bad) with no wind so couldn't have been better conditions. I have to say I did expect it to be a bit harder than it was. I think we were helped by the lack of wind and the rough was really short compared to the height of the summer. Obviously the pros play from 5 yards further back on almost every hole.

Some really nice and interesting holes. The 17th as a very average golfer was a real test standing on the tee trying to play a 4 iron between the two places that the burn crosses the hole. I managed to avid the water but one of the guys playing with us went in three times. haha

Being off 21 my aim for the day was to break 100 and shot 100 on the nose so wasn't too disappointed. Could have been better but could have been worse as well.

Played Silverknowes on Saturday with no randoms lying on the 18th :lol:

36 point stableford which wasn't enough, 39 being the winning score. Racked up 21 on the front 9 but just couldn't adjust to the wind that got up on the back 9. Also had a nightmare 17th, just shy of the green in two, pin right at the front just at the top of the slope and ended up chipping up and rolling back down 3 times!!

:sob:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread