Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

Our outing abandoned after 5 holes today at West Lothian, a 10 minute monsoon rendering the course unplayable!

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just found this thread....good stuff...medal tomorrow at 8....playing off 12 for first time for nearly 15 years....went continually up from 8.5 since moving down here....ss is **** on the 2 courses I've been a member...not long but f'ing tight...

What do folk recommend I do to correct direction issues? Probably a bit hard to say without seeing me though. I feel like I'm aiming the right way but every now and then, maybe 1 in 5 I hit it dead straight but about 20-30 degrees to the right of where I thought I was aiming.

About 6 feet I front of ur ball pick a spot that lines up with the direction u want to start the ball,

Whether it's a broken tee or a divot.

Once u have picked that spot no need to continue looking any further ahead.

Trust that line and focus on a pure strike and that will help u out more than any other tip will.

What do folk recommend I do to correct direction issues? Probably a bit hard to say without seeing me though. I feel like I'm aiming the right way but every now and then, maybe 1 in 5 I hit it dead straight but about 20-30 degrees to the right of where I thought I was aiming.

About 6 feet I front of ur ball pick a spot that lines up with the direction u want to start the ball,

Trust that line and focus on a pure strike and that will help u out more than any other tip will.

Cyprus Jambo

At last a handicap cut............sat in the buffer for the last 5 medal rounds but back down to 11.4 after a -1 70 with 2 treble bogey 7s!!!

Jamboman1512

Had a round with a mate at Broomieknowe yesterday, a wasp somehow managed to get under my shirt and stung me twice, under the arm and on the chest, squashed the little shit.

The Mighty Thor

If you're consistently hitting them straight right by 20-30 degrees rather than slicing across it, you could be blocking the ball rather than lining up badly.

I play with a draw but will occasionally get a poker straight one to the right where i haven't squared the club at impact. It usually happens when there's OB or water to the right :(

I play with a draw but will occasionally get a poker straight one to the right where i haven't squared the club at impact. It usually happens when there's OB or water to the right :(

60352-random-pictures-thread-only-rule-before-after-kumquats-27492074.jpg

neal-jambos

I hadn't played much in the last 3 years but starting to get back into it now. Starting to get used to connecting with the ball properly again instead of topping it and slicing it but still have a really bad slice with my drive. Then every time I aim to the left to compensate for my slice I end up hitting it perfectly straight. So frustrating when I feel like I have hit the ball well and end up going round a 9 hole course in 46 like my last 2 rounds when I have lost 4 balls off my drives.

3 time hole in oner here. Been very close a few times this year anaw.

It's been another good year for moi. Back down to 7 and threatening to go lower. It really requires the mental fortitude to keep on expecting good scores. You need to expect to score well. If you expect to 'buffer' you probably will.

jack D and coke
Tiger Woods injured again.

Will never win another Major.

I think it's foolish to say that tbh. Personally I don't particularly like him but he makes tournaments better when he's in them and if he can get his fitness back he still has a few years where he's capable of winning a big one again. Im not writing him off just yet.

I think it's foolish to say that tbh. Personally I don't particularly like him but he makes tournaments better when he's in them and if he can get his fitness back he still has a few years where he's capable of winning a big one again. Im not writing him off just yet.

I've thought it since he stopped playing with the affair stuff, and I am more convinced as time goes on.

hmfc_liam06

Re Tiger, I read a couple of interesting articles around the time of the Open and there is a real concern in the sport as to where it goes when Tiger retires. The tournaments he doesn't attend see a fairly big drop in attendance and there isn't a direct replacement coming through the ranks.

In regards to winning another major, I really hope he does.

scots civil war

the game is moving fast ,woods driving and mcilroys are poles apart at the moment .rory is the main man nowadays.....i could see woods retiring next year,he looks tired of the game

jack D and coke
the game is moving fast ,woods driving and mcilroys are poles apart at the moment .rory is the main man nowadays.....i could see woods retiring next year,he looks tired of the game

I think he's tired of struggling, he just isn't used to it. He still puts everything into his game it's just not coming off and having niggly injuries add to the problems. He has completely rebuilt his swing more than once and that not only takes bottle but serious belief and dedication. A man with his desire and drive can never be ruled out until he's physically incapable and that isn't for a few years yet. He must get properly fit again but if he he can he will be a danger in the majors for a little while yet.

scots civil war

all depends on his priorities for the future,il bet he cant stand this public humiliation on the course as well ....

its not fun making a ***** of yourself on the course.........i know that feeling every week !!!!!!

I think Tiger Woods has become exactly what Stephen Hendry became when he had done it all and his powers diminished. Completely indifferent to anything short of winning. Disillusioned by repeatedly falling short of perfection. Too reliant on technique and strangling the life out of his natural talent. Injuries a contributory factor, or not, as the case may be.

He used to drive long - he doesn't any more. He used to drive straight - he doesn't any more. He used to spear irons into every green - he doesn't any more. He used to have a razor sharp short game - he doesn't any more. He still does most things quite well but when you put them all together, he doesn't have a game to compete with McIlroy on a Major Championship course and course set-up. There are always likely to be several more players ahead of him at any given time too.

As it stands... definitely no more Majors for Tiger.

hmfc_liam06

Personal best 88 (net 64 -6) today. Been really fighting with my tee shots lately but for the front 9 they were bang on. Back 9 not so much but second shots were good all round.

Shot a net 62 this morning at the braids.

Surely this is enough to win my medal.

Did you win.

What's your handicap..

Not sure if I've won yet. I'd be surprised if I haven't.

I play off 12 it's a par 70 (68 for standard scratch score)

4 over front 9, level par back 9

Randle P McMurphy

Not had a game for a couple of years between one thing and another. I was a single handicap player when I did play regular and I normally still play ok once I shake the rust off.

Anyway I have some time on my hands for the next few weeks and I fancy a game. Any recommendations for a nice course to get me back into it? I live in Edinburgh but I am fairly sure I have played all the courses at one time or another so looking for something out of town.

Favourites from my regular playing days were silverknowes, newbattle, harburn and gulllane 2.

Any suggestions welcome.

Samuel Camazzola

Not had a game for a couple of years between one thing and another. I was a single handicap player when I did play regular and I normally still play ok once I shake the rust off.

Anyway I have some time on my hands for the next few weeks and I fancy a game. Any recommendations for a nice course to get me back into it? I live in Edinburgh but I am fairly sure I have played all the courses at one time or another so looking for something out of town.

Favourites from my regular playing days were silverknowes, newbattle, harburn and gulllane 2.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dunbar is a good test and like all links courses, the weather can make it a different course from day to day. It's an Open qualifying course too.

Did you win.

What's your handicap..

Just won and no more!

There was a net 64 out there.

Cut to 10.5

I've got a TM Z-Spin 52 and Vokey 56 and 60.

Took me a while to get used to them but it's now the strongest part of my game.

Jamboman1512

Had a round with a mate yesterday, net 70, perfect timing to finish, just sat down in the clubhouse for a pint and it started bucketing down.

I have my mizuno 54 and 60 in my bag with my custom for PW from mizuno as well. Going to replace the 54 and 60 as they are close to 9 years old. I do sharpen the grooves but they are just at the end of their lives now. I don't get any check at all from under 50yrds.

My chipping is the weakest part of my game and this might encourage me to practice more.

Bought the Ben Ross 52 and 58. Under ?100 for the pair.

Black clubs and look smart. So very happy with my Ben Ross driver that I'm happy to give these a try. Will let you know how I get on.

I've got a white taylormade tp burner driver.

Had it a few years now and I love it, but think it's time to revert back to black.

RealMaroonCF

Absolute horror show at Craigielaw yesterday. Birdied the 1st after missing an eagle putt.....and then it all went very very wrong.

First time over a hundred in a long time.

Chin up. Move on

Birdied the 1st and 18th today.

Everything in between absolutely gash!

Although weirdly did finish with 36 stableford points!

Expectations maybe too high!

Birdied the 1st and 18th today.

Everything in between absolutely gash!

Although weirdly did finish with 36 stableford points!

Expectations maybe too high!

Samuel Camazzola

Kinross and Balbirnie Park last week. Thornton this weekend. I think the rain will have been and gone by then too.

Kinross and Balbirnie Park last week. Thornton this weekend. I think the rain will have been and gone by then too.

Played Balbirnie a few times and never really enjoyed it...albeit it was during the off season.

Samuel Camazzola

Played Balbirnie a few times and never really enjoyed it...albeit it was during the off season.

The greens are immaculate and true and the back nine is where the low scoring is made. With it being a parkland course, it needs to be played between May and November.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread