Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Good for you. I'm playing first round of mine tomorrow. Against a 2 handicapper. I've never come close to beating him.

Medal tonight.. Sweet.

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was crap in the medal. Lost my tie on the 16th. Played ok maybe 4 or 5 over par at that point. Birdied 2 par 5s and played 4 par threes in one under.

My opponent, as always was just better...

Guest C00l K1d

Why does a road run through Gullane's golf course?

I am paranoid as feck driving through that wee bit of road next to the greens :laugh:

hmfc_liam06

Played 3 rounds over the course of the weekend...

...snuck in a cheeky 79 (net 55) scratch to blow my PB 86 out of the water.

Absolutely delighted, everything just come together.

Played 3 rounds over the course of the weekend...

...snuck in a cheeky 79 (net 55) scratch to blow my PB 86 out of the water.

Absolutely delighted, everything just come together.

Nett 55.. Fecking hell

Will played

hmfc_liam06

Nett 55.. Fecking hell

Will played

Cheers! Was only a par 67 course but played to half of my handicap which I'm obviously delighted with!

RealMaroonCF

Why does a road run through Gullane's golf course?

I am paranoid as feck driving through that wee bit of road next to the greens :laugh:

It doesn't. They built the golf course on both sides of the road. :rofl:

Jamboman1512

Had a round on Sunday with a mate at Broomieknowe, was beating me pretty much the whole game, clawed my way back the last few holes to draw 102 (net 76)

Played the same mate yesterday at the wee 9 hole Melville course, beat me 44-45 on the very last putt :7: was great weather for it, had the entire course to ourselves so got a lot of practice shots in, also hit one of the longest and straightest drives i have ever hit, about 290yds on a pretty short par 4 then proceeded to squaff the next few to putt for a triple bogey when i should have got at least a par, soul destroying :wallbash:

Back out on Friday, hope the weather is good.

Edited by Jamboman1512

scots civil war

nett 55 is outrageous

i had net 62 on sunday at dunbar winterfield,second on countback to the winner of the belhaven open

thank f my hcap down again

hmfc_liam06

nett 55 is outrageous

i had net 62 on sunday at dunbar winterfield,second on countback to the winner of the belhaven open

thank f my hcap down again

I'm not going to lie - the course is a piece of piss. On average, I'm 5-8 strokes better off there than any other course.

Played Dalmahoy East today in glorious weather, long course though 6800yrds and thats off the yellow tees.

35 on stableford not bad considering.

Absolute stinker at Carricknowe earlier this evening. All over the place off the tee, and either fluffing chips or melting them 20 feet past the hole. :vrface:

Played two rounds today knockout matchplay. Made it to round three tomorrow morning... The semi finals.

I'm bloody knackered.

Edited by Bigsmak

Lost on 17th in semi finals. Great weather for the championship weekend as well. I was knackered playing 3 rounds in 2 days. Don't know if I would have been any use in the final.

Lost on 17th in semi finals. Great weather for the championship weekend as well. I was knackered playing 3 rounds in 2 days. Don't know if I would have been any use in the final.

Unlucky and in good weather the heat does take it out of you as well.

I'm just out of the gym.. I need to get fit for next year.

Lol..

Not kidding. I'm knackered today

Ron Swanson

Still cutting about with the shorts on up here in dundee. Not been playing later on so it might be a different story

90 round Braids today. Actually played pretty well bar 3 stinking holes - had a triple bogey, quadruple bogey and a TEN on the scorecard. Could have been low 80s if it wasn't for those meltdowns after wild tee shots.

hmfc_liam06

Outing at Burntisland on Saturday there - ?35 for bacon roll and tea/coffee, round of golf and a main meal afterwards.

Course was in great nick, greens were superb. 36 points stableford but could have been much more if I had brought any kind of tee shot with me. Luckily the course is quite open which meant I could recover well.

Highlight has to be nailing a par on the hardest hole on the course despite a total shank off the tee - managed to get on the green in 3 and sink a 25-30 foot putt!

Recommend the course to anyone who hasn't played it before.

RealMaroonCF

Disagree completely there Liam I'm afraid.

Played last Tuesday, great night great greens but dear me that is no golf course. Too many blind holes, a silly par 3 17th, 10th bonkers too. Couldn't play there every week. Just my take

hmfc_liam06

Those are all the things I love about it! Too many courses that don't make you think.

I'm guessing you lost a ball at 10 and went down either side at 17?

Edit: I can only count 3 blind holes. 1, 10 and 12.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Sexton Hardcastle

Anyone played Alenda or Font del llop in alicante?

Going in three weeks with a group of 6. 78 euros for two rounds inc buggy per person. Seems okay to us. Taylor made hie clubs for 40 quid for the week as well.

RealMaroonCF

Tip : rent the best clubs available when you go abroad. Clubs for hire are great. When you rent the most expensive set they are nearly new. Seriously worth the extra....if you want to play your best golf.

Sexton Hardcastle

Clubs look decent. One thing though, how likely are clubs to ask for proven handicap cards?

An email from the travel agent says to bring just in case. I suppose could knock something together online if required.

hmfc_liam06

Clubs look decent. One thing though, how likely are clubs to ask for proven handicap cards?

An email from the travel agent says to bring just in case. I suppose could knock something together online if required.

I do an online handicap tracker via Todays Golfer - todaysgolfer.golfscoretracker.co.uk/home/index.php

You can upgrade your account to get a handicap certificate. I'm pretty sure you'd get away with that.

Ron Swanson

Inches away from a hole in 1 at the 17th at Linlithgow on Saturday. Needing my drive for the texas scramble and get a tap in 2. Rest of the round was pretty guff though

RealMaroonCF

I went to a lot of bother to get certificates and as predicted by everyone I know who has been abroad....never needed them. Don't even bother

104 yesterday at Kinross Bruce course in pissing rain. 84 today at carricknowe. No idea what I was doing different.

hmfc_liam06

What do folk recommend I do to correct direction issues? Probably a bit hard to say without seeing me though. I feel like I'm aiming the right way but every now and then, maybe 1 in 5 I hit it dead straight but about 20-30 degrees to the right of where I thought I was aiming.

What do folk recommend I do to correct direction issues? Probably a bit hard to say without seeing me though. I feel like I'm aiming the right way but every now and then, maybe 1 in 5 I hit it dead straight but about 20-30 degrees to the right of where I thought I was aiming.

Put a club down along the line of your feet and step back and check where its lined up to.

Or ask a mate to stand behind you and check your line, if you trust them.

jack D and coke

Put a club down along the line of your feet and step back and check where its lined up to.

Yeah you can do that on the practice range but on the course I feel a few practice swings with you concentrating will give enough insight where your aiming. A lot of other stuff depends on which direction the ball will take but keeping that left arm nice and straight, don't overswing and trying to ensure you follow through with your right arm will see you getting things right more often than not.

jack D and coke

Thats a difficult one tbh. I've stood behind some of my mates and I wonder where the hell they're aiming but because they have natural fades they end up getting the ball where they want it. One of my pals plays cack handed and I swear it looks like he's aiming miles left all the time but he's actually very consistent and more often than not gets the ball centre of the fairway.

hmfc_liam06

Cheers for the tips, I think a couple of practice swings would definitely help out - it's something I never do other than for chipping.

Incidentally, was at the in-laws yesterday and her dad handed me a book by Jon Daly, short book but aimed at taking shots off your score. Picked up a good few pointers in there, particularly when it comes to the pre-round routine. Was quite a good wee read, a lot of typical JD humour in it as well.

Greedy_Jambo

Who wants to sell me a burner 2.0 5 iron?

Also looking for a next to new condition golf bag.

Edited by Greedy_Jambo

scots civil war

it is good to keep checking alignment tho aint it

chuck a club down on the line of your feet at address,then walk away from it and have a look from behind the club and check where its aiming

ive a problem with standing a bit too closed,no good that one

aside from that has any been fitted for clubs and 6 months down the line find they not for you?

bit gutted (200 sovs)as i had new shafts put on me driver and 3 metal....now im back with my old shafts,as i have 910 titleist i can change over.

put me old driver one back on tonite and what a difference.the new ones are tipped and been getting very inconsistent strikes

was pissing me right off that was

pumpherston open on saturday

scots civil war

when im standing over the ball,i look down me front n make sure my shoulders are parallel with my feet

Hi folks,

Has anyone used the free annual club MOT that American Golf offers members? I fancy getting my clubs checked and lie & loft adjusted if necessary. I assume they'll charge for any adjustments and try and sell me other products, so wondering if you guys think it is worth it? Had the clubs 3 years, and never got them custom fitted when I bought them (stupidly).

Disser Pointon

Playing in the Open at my mates course in Stirling tomorrow, early tee time so should get the best of the weather if the forecast is to be believed.

Disser Pointon

Playing tonight at Gullane. A little worried I'll die because of the heat.

You better get plenty cream on that shiny napper!

Foursomes stableford .. Me and my partner won it by 8 points. I think it was 16 pairs playing. 37 scored.

Played OK.

The Mighty Thor

Tee'd off at 6.45am in glorious sunshine and walked in after 5 as you couldn't see 30 yards.

Beautiful sunshine again an hour later. :-(

Second time this week that's happened.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread