Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06

This is the bane of the amateur golfer. And guess what, it's about practice and getting used to the hit down and follow through which takes the divot.

The amateur is used to trying to 'lift' the ball instead of hitting down. There is also an inbuilt fear through many many years of bad shots which causes the amateur to feel the club going into the ground and lift it out.....the old chicken wing. Only practice on real grass can get you out of this. You need to know what that crisp strike down feels like and how to maintain strong wrists through the ground and divot.

My advice is practice with a generally easy to hit club...a 7-8 iron. Practice getting the swoosh right at the bottom of the swing. Think of the impact point - bottom of you swing pendulum - being in front of the ball, get your hands ahead of the ball and club head. Keep your eye on the ball until the hands are past your left leg, don't rush to see where the ball has gone.

Finally, get balanced. If you weight is on your right hand side as you are swinging down your swing center will be behind the ball and you'll fat it. Push your hips through and trust your swing.

I'm making it sound easy. It's not. I get it right about 1 in 3-4 shots but I tell you when you know what it is you find it easier to come by. Hit hundreds of balls, hundreds. Don't practice driving til you can hit those bread and butter iron shots

I've been following pretty much what you've said, I used to loosen up a little on impact which was causing me to pop the ball, staying strong through the follow through has obviously helped me make the shot.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RealMaroonCF

You can spend 200, you can spend 500. One tip.....get fitted...it makes a massive difference. If the clubs fit, all you need to do is play and you're in.

Any recommendation on a new driver guys. Mine is about 5 or 6 years old now. Going to American golf tomorrow.

This is the bane of the amateur golfer. And guess what, it's about practice and getting used to the hit down and follow through which takes the divot.

The amateur is used to trying to 'lift' the ball instead of hitting down. There is also an inbuilt fear through many many years of bad shots which causes the amateur to feel the club going into the ground and lift it out.....the old chicken wing. Only practice on real grass can get you out of this. You need to know what that crisp strike down feels like and how to maintain strong wrists through the ground and divot.

My advice is practice with a generally easy to hit club...a 7-8 iron. Practice getting the swoosh right at the bottom of the swing. Think of the impact point - bottom of you swing pendulum - being in front of the ball, get your hands ahead of the ball and club head. Keep your eye on the ball until the hands are past your left leg, don't rush to see where the ball has gone.

Finally, get balanced. If you weight is on your right hand side as you are swinging down your swing center will be behind the ball and you'll fat it. Push your hips through and trust your swing.

I'm making it sound easy. It's not. I get it right about 1 in 3-4 shots but I tell you when you know what it is you find it easier to come by. Hit hundreds of balls, hundreds. Don't practice driving til you can hit those bread and butter iron shots

Yeah I do try all that. Attempting and achieving are different things though. :(

When I try and shift my weight to the other side I seem to thin it or shank it. I must be swaying slightly as I do but can't seem to avoid it.

Any recommendation on a new driver guys. Mine is about 5 or 6 years old now. Going to American golf tomorrow.

i have two, the xhot from callaway and the titliest 913 d2 , (got one for free) and i like both, but i always end up putting the callaway in the bag. thats the one i bought after trying and love the thing. try before you buy basically.

Disser Pointon

Go to Scott Gourlay at Craigmillar Park and get fitted, well worth the money.

hmfc_liam06

I'm loving the new Cobra range. Had a swing at the 3 wood when I was in the store last week.

RealMaroonCF

How much does it cost to be fitted?

Agree, normally nothing but in you get fitted at the titlest centre it costs 50 or something but it comes off your clubs so effectively free

Ron Swanson

Big fan of pings. Had a g5 for about 5 years and now got an i20. Would highly recommend.

RealMaroonCF

@

Yeah I do try all that. Attempting and achieving are different things though. :(

When I try and shift my weight to the other side I seem to thin it or shank it. I must be swaying slightly as I do but can't seem to avoid it.

Just to get the feeling, try to put the ball a little further back in your swing. If you are using a 7-8 as I recommended the ball should be central , right under your nose normally. Inherently, due to the will to 'lift' the ball, amateurs often put it a bit further forward.

Whatever you do at the moment, just roll it back by a ball width. At address put the club behind the ball and put your hands ahead of the ball. This will deloft the club but forget about that just now.

Now get swinging and smash down and into the back of the ball. Make sure you are still getting down on it at impact. Do not look up.

There's a great drill on you tube about hitting a bag at impact. ill try to find it. This is the 'hit against a stiff left side' thing. It teaches you not to treat the instant you hit the ball as the end of the down swing.

Stick at it. It will come and joy will follow.

New driver today.. First shot. 310 yards into greenside bunker... Oooo I thought.

I hit a 390 yard Shot. Just 10 shy of a 400 par 4 (yes got my birdie) Straight as you can hit. Ok, there was a lot of wind behind. And a lot downhill. I also hit a 7 iron into a par 5 for my second shot after a 345 drive.

I like my new diver.

Is the Benross speed 2 range. The RIP. Worth looking at if you are after a new one. Also it's Less than half the price of the callaway.

jack D and coke

Seven 6's and a 7 carded today :facepalm: actually played decent too. Drove the ball for miles off the tee and straight as but round the greens and putting destroyed me.

Seven 6's and a 7 carded today :facepalm: actually played decent too. Drove the ball for miles off the tee and straight as but round the greens and putting destroyed me.

what was it like nine 3 putts :rolleyes4: putting is my weak point.

jack D and coke

what was it like nine 3 putts :rolleyes4: putting is my weak point.

I'm world heavyweight champion 3 putter but not all the time today tbh. Just duffing approach shots to an insane level. I was 160 yards out at the 7th at the royal Musselburgh today for example and nailed it about 15 yards over the green with a 7 iron! Overcooked my pitch back onto the green, it caught the slope and rolled about 25 feet past then three stabbed. Hit probably my best ever drive at the 9th and 10th and completely duffed my seconds into bunkers, didn't get them out very well, chipped on and ran twenty feet past and so on and so on it was a strange day cos I haven't driven that well for as long as I can remember. I was hitting it miles and straight as a dye. Apart from the par five 9th I was hitting nothing less than a 7 iron into the greens but just duffing it. Frustrating as **** :lol: A disappointing 92 to say the least.

I'm world heavyweight champion 3 putter but not all the time today tbh. Just duffing approach shots to an insane level. I was 160 yards out at the 7th at the royal Musselburgh today for example and nailed it about 15 yards over the green with a 7 iron! Overcooked my pitch back onto the green, it caught the slope and rolled about 25 feet past then three stabbed. Hit probably my best ever drive at the 9th and 10th and completely duffed my seconds into bunkers, didn't get them out very well, chipped on and ran twenty feet past and so on and so on it was a strange day cos I haven't driven that well for as long as I can remember. I was hitting it miles and straight as a dye. Apart from the par five 9th I was hitting nothing less than a 7 iron into the greens but just duffing it. Frustrating as **** :lol: A disappointing 92 to say the least.

:lol: i feel your pain

RealMaroonCF

The amount of my mates who don't practice putting is frightening....nearly all of them! They love driving and chipping , then blame their ill practiced putting for bad scores.

The great thing about putting is you can practice at home. You can sort your routine, stance and consistency of achieving 4,6,8,10,12 footers. If you can't roll 8 balls out of ten to with a few inches of each other when doing a 6 foot stroke you need yet more practice.

Read bob rotellas book too. You won't believe your putting after that. Different gravy

The amount of my mates who don't practice putting is frightening....nearly all of them! They love driving and chipping , then blame their ill practiced putting for bad scores.

The great thing about putting is you can practice at home. You can sort your routine, stance and consistency of achieving 4,6,8,10,12 footers. If you can't roll 8 balls out of ten to with a few inches of each other when doing a 6 foot stroke you need yet more practice.

Read bob rotellas book too. You won't believe your putting after that. Different gravy

That's all very well, but my carpet is flat and always the same speed. Completely diffetent on the course.

RealMaroonCF

That's all very well, but my carpet is flat and always the same speed. Completely diffetent on the course.

That is exactly the point. Of course conditions will change day to day. However, you can't deal with that until the day.

Unless you can confidently get a stroke you can trust and measure you will be going nowhere. When You get to the course and have a practice, that's the time when you're saying to yourself "right, my 4 foot stroke is going 7 feet on these surfaces today" .

From there you have to learn on the first, second green. You need to use that with your known and learned 'feel' to adapt. Never stop concentrating, use the first hole or two to feel what the wind is actually doing, how soft the greens are, how fast or slow they are

You can't expect miracles. You can be prepared.

Mind, you need to believe your putt will be good, you need to to know you will make, no negative stuff. As I said, read novella or any other putting psychology items

I had an app on android called putt like a pro by mental edge academy.

It's a kind of self hypnosis programme that can help your putting.

I think it helps.

Honest. The sceptical, superstitious mocking atheist that I am actually liked this self hypnosis thing.

Who knew.

Anyone own a golf speed radar?

Was thinking of buying one to practice increasing my swing speed.

Quite expensive tho.

Would you recommend or is it just a waste of money

I had an app on android called putt like a pro by mental edge academy.

It's a kind of self hypnosis programme that can help your putting.

I think it helps.

Honest. The sceptical, superstitious mocking atheist that I am actually liked this self hypnosis thing.

Who knew.

I downloaded it after u recommended it.

Putting tempo today was the best it's been for months.

Big thumbs up

So... Played at 5pm on sunday. Wet and cold. Finished in the near dark. Three putted 3, 10, 11 and 18. Four putted 15th. Four bunker shots. Lipped out for birdie at 2, 4, 8, 12, 13, 14 & 17. Snapped my rescue club at the 5th. All in all, an easy 79 scratch. Lol.

I bought a new rescue today. The john letters one.. I'll let you know how it goes.

The Mighty Thor

Trump buys Turnberry!

The Ailsa is a cracking track but will probably now be priced out of the normal golfer's reach.

Greedy_Jambo

Had a wee practice round the bathgate 9 holer today. Wasn't too busy so managed to take about 10 shots off the tee on the 2 holes you can actually use a driver. Was testing my m8's Callaway ft-3 fusion draw driver against my own benross innovator. Although the best drive came from the callaway the amount of duffers i hit with it compared to my benross was unreal.

Was going to practice my putting tonight when i realised the only carpet i have is up the stairs and in the bedroom. ffs.

Edited by Greedy_Jambo

Playing Kings Acre tomorrow.

Still have nightmares about my putting last time I played that course. :sob:

William H. Bonney

I'm loving my Benross

I tried the rip but couldn't hit it at all. I ended up buying the ping g20 which I love.

I tried the rip but couldn't hit it at all. I ended up buying the ping g20 which I love.

You probably don't swing as fast as me. Lol

Not many people do

Greedy_Jambo

I'm loving my Benross

I think benross is underrated. I've got a sand wedge by them aswell. I can't remember the last time I hit a bad shot with it.

hmfc_liam06

I think benross is underrated. I've got a sand wedge by them aswell. I can't remember the last time I hit a bad shot with it.

Definitely are, I ditched my rescue club in favour of a Mizuno and regretting it.

Samuel Camazzola

Playing Gullane number 3 tomorow for the first time. Anyone got any tips?

No need for a driver and enjoy the closing four holes.

Disser Pointon

1st place in division 1 at Monktonhall yesterday 77 less 8 with 3 birdies and another 2, have had a 2 in every comp do far this season. Played decent but still missed 4 putts from around 2 feet which is my downfall. Still, down to 6.7 which is the lowest I've been.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rudi Skacel

I had never broke 90 before and smashed it today. 83 round number 3. Some stunning views. I should have broke 80 but had a bad shot on 17 that cos me and missed a couple short putts. Really enjoyed it.

I dont think ill ever beat 83 in my life.

Samuel Camazzola

I had never broke 90 before and smashed it today. 83 round number 3. Some stunning views. I should have broke 80 but had a bad shot on 17 that cos me and missed a couple short putts. Really enjoyed it.

I dont think ill ever beat 83 in my life.

How was the wind down the coast? It's a great wee course and 2 is a good test of golf as it's a bit longer. 1 is over priced unless you get a deal.

Rudi Skacel
How was the wind down the coast? It's a great wee course and 2 is a good test of golf as it's a bit longer. 1 is over priced unless you get a deal.

There was a slight breeze but that didnt really affect the play atall.

Great course to play. Some stunning views aswell.

Andyeyespy

I've qualified for the belhaven best championship in August.

It's at Newbattle golf course has anyone played there before or are currently a member?

Would like to know some info on the course

hmfc_liam06

Also sent a request.

Played today, some of the best golf I've played tee to green but I just couldn't find any putts at all. 10 3 putts and a 4, absolute shocker.

Old Hearts

I've qualified for the belhaven best championship in August.

It's at Newbattle golf course has anyone played there before or are currently a member?

Would like to know some info on the course

Played there many times. A pretty good track, & the greens are usually in decent nick especially in the height of summer.

Quick run through of course:

- Stay left of the big tree on the 1st for a better angle for approach to the green

- 2nd is a short dogleg par 4. Dont be tempted to go for the green. Just take a 4 or 5 iron off tee

- 5th and 6th are tough par 4s where par is a good result

- Stretch from 7th to 13th are where you can make birdies

- 14th is a tough long par 3. Par is a good score. In fact, all the par 3s are well bunkered, so always ignore the pin and play middle of the green.

-17th is a tough driving hole, but there's more room to the right than you think.

19th is pretty good too. Beer n food is always decent!!

Good luck. Play well when it comes round.

hmfc_liam06

Can anyone recommend a course that would cater for a group of 12-16 people for around ?25-?30 a head? Are the council courses of decent enough standard, it'll be in July so no excuses for any course to be in bad nick (unless we've had a horrendous summer).

I run a small society between mates, we usually play in Fife or Perthshire but fancying an Edinburgh outing this year.

Playing Kings Acre tomorrow.

Still have nightmares about my putting last time I played that course. :sob:

Turns out my putting was the best it has been in ages. Only 3 putted once the whole round. A 60 yard pitch straight in the whole for a birdie on the second was nice too.

Those shanks though. :sob::sob:

Horrible iron play throughout.

Can anyone recommend a course that would cater for a group of 12-16 people for around ?25-?30 a head? Are the council courses of decent enough standard, it'll be in July so no excuses for any course to be in bad nick (unless we've had a horrendous summer).

I run a small society between mates, we usually play in Fife or Perthshire but fancying an Edinburgh outing this year.

Give Pumpherston a bell. Great course that is an easy walk so your not gubbed for beer after!!!! Good food and a right friendly welcome. Some really good holes aswell

RealMaroonCF

Edinburgh outing......pumpherston.

:facepalm:

Try getting a two for one deal or groupon at somewhere like Prestonfield.

Edited by RealMaroonCF

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread