Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Tiger-Woods-face-on-address.jpg

Sounds mental to me. To have forward shaft lean on a drive, your hands would need to be way forward over your left foot! See Tiger above. 

djds.jpg

I was reading that too. It’s really difficult to get a clear idea when pros are telling you to push forward a bit yet the tour guys aren’t doing it. I might have a little try without any lean when I play tomorrow. 👍🏻

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OBE said:

So, for the golf ball to move left to right, you've imparted left to right spin on the ball also. This suggests you've slightly cut across the ball at impact. Try taking the club back more on the inside on the back swing, inside back to inside. Your current swing path will be outside to in, slightly. Good luck!  

Or just leaving this small fade alone, continually repeating stock-shots will be your best friend in must make pressure situations.:thumbsup:  

Thanks OBE I’ll give that a shot. My natural tendency has been to swing a little out to in and come over the top a bit will work on bringing it back a bit truer.

1 minute ago, dicksojo said:

I was reading that too. It’s really difficult to get a clear idea when pros are telling you to push forward a bit yet the tour guys aren’t doing it. I might have a little try without any lean when I play tomorrow. 👍🏻

I can only assume they are telling you that because your hands were way too far back, and doing this would encourage your impact position to look more like the photo of DJ above.

4 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

Thanks OBE I’ll give that a shot. My natural tendency has been to swing a little out to in and come over the top a bit will work on bringing it back a bit truer.

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I can only assume they are telling you that because your hands were way too far back, and doing this would encourage your impact position to look more like the photo of DJ above.

That may well be it. I don’t mean a negative face angle on the driver just a bit of a push forward. I’ll look over that video and start working on it.

with lack of pubs and football I seem to have thrown myself into golf and then quickly remembered how frustrating it can be.

thanks again!

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, dicksojo said:

That may well be it. I don’t mean a negative face angle on the driver just a bit of a push forward. I’ll look over that video and start working on it.

with lack of pubs and football I seem to have thrown myself into golf and then quickly remembered how frustrating it can be.

thanks again!

Hopefully it won't confuse with a lot of the stuff you've learnt from your lessons but have a look at Padraig Harrington's regular videos on his Twitter page. If you're not on Twitter, I think they can still be accessed. 

He does a lot of short tutorials aimed at amateurs and makes emphasise on techniques for amateurs being different to pros. He's done a lot of great stuff on all aspects of the game. 👍 

hmfc_liam06
38 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

It’s tumbling down 👏

Cheers man. It's been a good week, had targeted 12 by the end of this season, didn't expect it within 4 medals.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Hopefully it won't confuse with a lot of the stuff you've learnt from your lessons but have a look at Padraig Harrington's regular videos on his Twitter page. If you're not on Twitter, I think they can still be accessed. 

He does a lot of short tutorials aimed at amateurs and makes emphasise on techniques for amateurs being different to pros. He's done a lot of great stuff on all aspects of the game. 👍 

I’ve been watching them too. Really good and his garden looks amazing!

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, dicksojo said:

I’ve been watching them too. Really good and his garden looks amazing!

It's a different level. His golf studio indoors is class too. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cheers man. It's been a good week, had targeted 12 by the end of this season, didn't expect it within 4 medals.

Single figures by season end has to be the target now 👍

Disser Pointon
On 16/06/2020 at 22:11, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do they just have one tee box in play just now or did you get to choose where to play from? 

Pick any tee you wanted mate. We took blue at a nice 6500 but it was so calm we probably could have made black playable.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Single figures by season end has to be the target now 👍

I've set myself a new target of 10 or at leasy breaking into 9.9.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You reached my limit, struggle to get lower. Only been 11.0 (twice)

And never managed to play to it.

5x 0.1 each time:facepalm:

Must be psychological:sob:

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No Liam. SINGLE FIGURES!!!!!

John mcCartney
8 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Liam,your inbox needing cleared or summat?
Sending you a p.m chief

Anyone had anything to do with Steve Johnston Pro at Peebles, and his Eureka golf method.

Be interested to hear any thoughts?

Cheers.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, John mcCartney said:

Liam,your inbox needing cleared or summat?
Sending you a p.m chief

Just cleared them, try again 👍

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Pick any tee you wanted mate. We took blue at a nice 6500 but it was so calm we probably could have made black playable.

Cheers. 👍 

Good video here 

Well done Liam.    What a great start.

1st competition (albeit non-counter).    Great to play under medal conditions to get further back to normal.    Horrific tee shot at the 1st apart,   pretty solid scoring with no birdies.   77(41/36)-8=69.    Could easily have been 4 or 5 better but a good few raggedy shots in there that need to be removed.

joondalupjambo

On my walk today, Crail to Largo a mere 16 miles I passed by Dumbarnie and it looked absolutely fantastic.  Spoke to a group on the short hole, the one at the eastern corner, next to the beach and they were blown away how good the course was. Far, far better than they had expected.  We play it on July 2nd and cannot wait.  

Shame one of the guy's dropped his brand new Dumbarnie pencil.  EBay here we come.😃😃😃

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Cheers. 👍 

Good video here 

A tammy on her napper? It was about 20 degrees on the 29th of May 😂

And cheers Vic 👍

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A tammy on her napper? It was about 20 degrees on the 29th of May 😂

And cheers Vic 👍

I got a time and played it today. TREMENDOUS! So, so good and will get better once clubhouse is finished. 

The variety of holes are great and was really impressed with the use of proper cups in the holes and a wee lever system to retrieve your ball from them. 

Started with a birdie but scrappy play led to three doubles on the front nine. 

Was heading for a level par back 9 until finished with three bogeys. 

Looking to head back next month. 

Disser Pointon
14 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I got a time and played it today. TREMENDOUS! So, so good and will get better once clubhouse is finished. 

The variety of holes are great and was really impressed with the use of proper cups in the holes and a wee lever system to retrieve your ball from them. 

Started with a birdie but scrappy play led to three doubles on the front nine. 

Was heading for a level par back 9 until finished with three bogeys. 

Looking to head back next month. 

Greens still a bit slow mate? Can't wait to go back in August, hopefully the facilities will be finished.

Samuel Camazzola

The greens were rolling smoothly but not rapid like many links courses. Still enjoyable. 

8th will likely be their signature hole. Approx 125 yards from blue tees. 

The prices of food and drink was a tad excessive - £3 for juice, chocolate etc. £5 for a can of beer. £8 for burgers. Likely in line with similar courses who target themselves for a certain market. 

Clubhouse opening aiming for September. 

hmfc_liam06

Most places greens are playing slower than normal. Was talking to a green keeper at another course and he reckons his greens are around 6 weeks behind where they should be.

Pace of greens doesn't bother me as longs they run well and are of a consistent pace.

Ours were pacey on the 1st weekend when golf was allowed.   A bit slower now after they were tined and fed.   I think they've cut them a bit higher recently.   But still good.

Looks like all our main competitions are going to be crammed into July / August.    I was hoping the clubhouse would open in August.    If hospitality starts opening then I would have thought a spacious clubhouse of a private club could manage adequate distancing.    If it lags behind pubs and restaurants it will be disappointing.

hmfc_liam06

When it comes to weekend medals, how do your clubs operate? Are they all zone draws?

We've always been just pick a time and its yours but often new members get annoyed as they have no one to play with if they've not joined with a friend.

If any of your clubs do zoned draws, how long are the time slots? Hourly, half hour etc?

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

When it comes to weekend medals, how do your clubs operate? Are they all zone draws?

We've always been just pick a time and its yours but often new members get annoyed as they have no one to play with if they've not joined with a friend.

If any of your clubs do zoned draws, how long are the time slots? Hourly, half hour etc?

Zoned at mine for Saturday and hourly but midweek medals are pick a time with your mates. 

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Draw sheet comps (we refer to them as majors) are entry in a zone.   Normally 90 mins.    Sat and Sun medals are book a time and people pick their own partners.    The club and pro try to introduce new members into games if there are spaces.

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We do hourly slots, put your name in a slot then drawn.

In bigger comps and championship qualifier, it is also handicap drawn eg all low players are drawn togethet etc.

Despite three and fourballs now being allowed, and slots moving back to 7 minutes apart, all the tee slots are still gone within 10 minutes of opening at 7am. Luckily I've randomly woken up at 6:45am the last couple of days so have been able to nip in quick.

Anyone else still finding it a mad rush to book a time? Lockdown has sent folk golfing mad!

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Despite three and fourballs now being allowed, and slots moving back to 7 minutes apart, all the tee slots are still gone within 10 minutes of opening at 7am. Luckily I've randomly woken up at 6:45am the last couple of days so have been able to nip in quick.

Anyone else still finding it a mad rush to book a time? Lockdown has sent folk golfing mad!

Having to sit up till midnight😂 for the new daily slots to be loaded( 2 weeks ahead).

All gone by the time I get up in the morning, obviousky some early risers at my club:huh:

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Slots still spaced at 10 minutes for me. 👍 Seems silly to move it back. 

11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Our prime times (early to early PM) have been going within a minute.     

I wont have to do much time booking ahead as our main competition schedule is about to get ripped through over July / August.    About 7 or 8 over an 8 week period.    A game a week will do me.    Entry in a time zone which is much easier.

Score entry is all based around an app.    Record a playing partner's score on a card and sign it.    Upload your own score on the app + photo of the card you recorded for your playing partner.     Knowing my luck I'll probably end up with a weekly headache to get my score validated with whoever is marking mine unable to use the app.     

Tommy Brown
On 24/06/2020 at 21:38, Victorian said:

Our prime times (early to early PM) have been going within a minute.     

I wont have to do much time booking ahead as our main competition schedule is about to get ripped through over July / August.    About 7 or 8 over an 8 week period.    A game a week will do me.    Entry in a time zone which is much easier.

Score entry is all based around an app.    Record a playing partner's score on a card and sign it.    Upload your own score on the app + photo of the card you recorded for your playing partner.     Knowing my luck I'll probably end up with a weekly headache to get my score validated with whoever is marking mine unable to use the app.     

What is the App Vic?

Special to your club or through BRS or Howdidido?

32 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

What is the App Vic?

Through the club's existing website company.   

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

What is the App Vic?

Howdidido offer it but I believe they are rolling it out in batches to certain clubs.

We are moving over to the Scottish Golf software within the next week or so, their on course scoring looks great.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Howdidido offer it but I believe they are rolling it out in batches to certain clubs.

We are moving over to the Scottish Golf software within the next week or so, their on course scoring looks great.

Aye Liam getting their grubby hooks further into you!!

Next step they will be taking over all your visitor bookings.

46 minutes ago, kila said:

Hi Kila,

1. supplier from China

2. Golf pro UK.

Would suggest at that price for 13 grips that they are copies.

grips normally around £7-8 pound per grip if I remember rightly.

I am sure you would get them a bit cheaper than £115 if you shopped around?

£45 would have me very suspicious. Might be ok but will probably wear quicker.

People seem happy about the grips but feedback usually given before you actually use them, and one comment about fake reference another item.

See if you can buy a single grip, and if ok get the set.

Best of luck.

Thanks @merrymac

What about other brands such as Lamkin? Never come across them but then I'm not in the golf grip business. Justin Rose uses them going by the photo on their website.

I'm less fussed about texture now having tried the multi layer Golf Pride ones. So something like the below works out at £3.67 a grip:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMKIN-CROSSLINE-BLACK-OUT-STANDARD-SIZE-GOLF-GRIPS-x-9-FREE-ROLL-OF-GRIP-TAPE/252046995483?epid=1210059910&hash=item3aaf2bf01b:g:ErkAAOSwmwFch8yJ

13 minutes ago, kila said:

Thanks @merrymac

What about other brands such as Lamkin? Never come across them but then I'm not in the golf grip business. Justin Rose uses them going by the photo on their website.

I'm less fussed about texture now having tried the multi layer Golf Pride ones. So something like the below works out at £3.67 a grip:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAMKIN-CROSSLINE-BLACK-OUT-STANDARD-SIZE-GOLF-GRIPS-x-9-FREE-ROLL-OF-GRIP-TAPE/252046995483?epid=1210059910&hash=item3aaf2bf01b:g:ErkAAOSwmwFch8yJ

Yep had Lamkin grips before 

Pretty good grip a little softer than the Golf prise IMO.

Better looking supplier on that one:thumbsup:

Are you fitting them yourself?

2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yep had Lamkin grips before 

Pretty good grip a little softer than the Golf prise IMO.

Better looking supplier on that one:thumbsup:

Are you fitting them yourself?

Good stuff, might just get those Lamkin's.

I'll probably get my pro to fit them again, think he did it for £15 last time. Though I suppose I'd end up with 18 of those grips if I get the eBay deal so I can afford to waste one on a first attempt. I worry I do it wrong and the club ends up flying out the grip on the first tee and through the pro shop window!

6 minutes ago, kila said:

Good stuff, might just get those Lamkin's.

I'll probably get my pro to fit them again, think he did it for £15 last time. Though I suppose I'd end up with 18 of those grips if I get the eBay deal so I can afford to waste one on a first attempt. I worry I do it wrong and the club ends up flying out the grip on the first tee and through the pro shop window!

Done mine for a few years now,its not that difficult.

If you fancy having a go drop me a note and I can PM you some tips, so as not to bore the other guys,

hmfc_liam06

I'm sure Lamkin are Taylor Made's grip suppliers, they used to be anyway. My old TM wedge had a Lamkin grip on it.

I'm driving like a single handicapper but hitting irons like a 28er. I need to get to a practise range so badly!

Striking lovely drives 250+ down the fairway every time, only to make a James Blunt of it from within 150 of the green. 

2 GIR hit over 15 holes today. :facepalm: