Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

7 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Our clubhouse is opening next week but we still will not be allowed to use our lockers. Will that not be the case because of social distancing rules?

Will probably get asked to wear a mask while we're in the locker room but as we're on 10 minute tee slots there'll only be up to two groups in there at any time (group due to tee off and group just finish). Folk should only need up to 5 minutes to get organised. We have an outside steps way to the clubhouse balcony and one from the locker rooms so they could manage a one way system too.

Being able to grab a pint and bite to eat before teeing off again will be great.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmfc_liam06

I had a response from the manager at Dumbarnie and it is only courses within 10 miles that receive the £29 rounds.

46 minutes ago, merrymac said:

We Reveal The 18 Best Golf Bags For 2020 (Top Picks)

Got it mate There selling them on amazon, Arizona Cardinals are an American football team 👍

joondalupjambo
33 minutes ago, kila said:

Will probably get asked to wear a mask while we're in the locker room but as we're on 10 minute tee slots there'll only be up to two groups in there at any time (group due to tee off and group just finish). Folk should only need up to 5 minutes to get organised. We have an outside steps way to the clubhouse balcony and one from the locker rooms so they could manage a one way system too.

Being able to grab a pint and bite to eat before teeing off again will be great.

I thought we would be ok with the tee times but problem is probably our layout.  We are having to use the locker room as part of a one way system to access the clubhouse main room and the toilets in a specific way so I guess there will be far more traffic in there than just folk grabbing their clubs.  Our committee must be worried about the social distancing issues and so being able to accommodate everything is initially just not possible.

Samuel Camazzola
37 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I had a response from the manager at Dumbarnie and it is only courses within 10 miles that receive the £29 rounds.

Good to know. However, I'd question Crail being within that radius. 🤔

1 hour ago, One five said:

Got it mate There selling them on amazon, Arizona Cardinals are an American football team 👍

Yep I know was the only one I could think of  that looked remotely  like the right colour.

Stick a Hearts badge on it and claim you support both teams 😀

19 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yep I know was the only one I could think of  that looked remotely  like the right colour.

Stick a Hearts badge on it and claim you support both teams 😀

I’ve already got a hearts umbrella and head covers , will now look the awesome 👍

24 minutes ago, One five said:

I’ve already got a hearts umbrella and head covers , will now look the awesome 👍

Will keep an eye open for you strutting the fairways with your two caddies

image.jpeg.f84b1ba709c995c57afe738490c819ae.jpeg

15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Will keep an eye open for you strutting the fairways with your two caddies

image.jpeg.f84b1ba709c995c57afe738490c819ae.jpeg

Omg I’m going to explode 😍

1 minute ago, One five said:

Omg I’m going to explode 😍

:rofl:Keep your eye on the ball now !!!!

27 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

thats smart , i fancy a new taylor made bag.

Just bought a waterproof bag. Realised after all these years that they are essential for golf in Scotland 😂

14 hours ago, One five said:

I’m getting myself a new golf bag I’ve been looking for a maroon one but no joy , there are black ones with a deep red trim etc but I’m  wanting all maroon with hopefully white trims . Has anyone seen one by any chance? ,cheers 

Maybe not the correct hue...

2070135256_FloridaState.thumb.jpg.9dff739e4ac210412b371b38aabd2f70.jpg

2 hours ago, merrymac said:

Just bought a waterproof bag. Realised after all these years that they are essential for golf in Scotland 😂

Deffo 🌨 and it always starts just as you tee off 😂

hmfc_liam06

First round away from my home club since restrictions were lifted. Trip to Lundin. Course in great condition as always.

Greens were superb but I struggled on them. Could not get pace or lines right all day. 

Have to say though, really disappointed they've removed the trees from the 9th/12th. It just doesn't look right. What's your take on it @joondalupjambo?

joondalupjambo
28 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

First round away from my home club since restrictions were lifted. Trip to Lundin. Course in great condition as always.

Greens were superb but I struggled on them. Could not get pace or lines right all day. 

Have to say though, really disappointed they've removed the trees from the 9th/12th. It just doesn't look right. What's your take on it @joondalupjambo?

Yeah bit strange when we first saw the area but new native Scottish trees and bushes going in so will wait to see how they mature before moaning too much😃

Greens superb as usual and easy if visitors get pace and line by the second 😃

Think it is only 50 quid now for visitors so anyone thinking of playing it are getting a bargain.  Have they kept the guest rate the same?

Edited by joondalupjambo

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah bit strange when we first saw the area but new native Scottish trees and bushes going in so will wait to see how they mature before moaning too much😃

Greens superb as usual and easy if visitors get pace and line by the second 😃

Think it is only 50 quid now for visitors so anyone thinking of playing it are getting a bargain.  Have they kept the guest rate the same?

It really takes away from 3 holes - 9/11/12. The approach to 11 today was just bizarre without they tree :lol:

Aye guest sign on was still £15. Bargain!

Very pleased with the Adams Tight Lies 5-fairway I bought.    Seems really easy to hit consistently and it's got a low,   penetrating flight.    No discernible tendency to draw or fade.    Could be the ideal reliable fairway club.     Never played a shot with the hybrid.

Another comfortable buffer.   78-8=70.    A bit unlucky with one double and just one loose pitch was destructive to cause a second double.    A lot of good chipping & putting though.

58 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

64 today so I should get a minimum 0.5 off, hopefully a 0.7.

image.jpeg.dfe064d21d900b2e26424f9d8209e050.jpeg

58 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

image.jpeg.dfe064d21d900b2e26424f9d8209e050.jpeg

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I once shot a 66 when I did just 12 holes at Lothianburn (cut across at the 9th).

My Golfshot app displays it as my record score and I feel a bit Trumpian not deleting the card as I quite like the 66 badge when I load the app up for a new round :D 

image0.png.f8ea8f9a5afcd3f4758d51fbb7d7fd47.png

1 hour ago, kila said:

I once shot a 66 when I did just 12 holes at Lothianburn (cut across at the 9th).

My Golfshot app displays it as my record score and I feel a bit Trumpian not deleting the card as I quite like the 66 badge when I load the app up for a new round :D 

Ha Ha brilliant.

Once shot an actual 59 gross on a golf trip to Macrahanish. WE played the very short course at Dunaverty (best greens I have ever putted on, bar none.) and had a dream day with putter.Great wee course, honesty box and all.!

Still feels pretty good to have done it though.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, kila said:

I'd have been a member back then. Did you not fancy a wee hike up the 9th?😄

Assume you cut over to 15 which was a great hole? It was satisfying when you pinged one on the right line (just left of the marker pole) and knew you had a great chance of driving the green. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, kila said:

Net 64 :lol:

My PB is 75 (+7), hit that a few weeks back. Just a bounce round though. 76 PB off white tees.

Samuel Camazzola

Opted for a round at Longniddry today. Course in good nick - quite dry and fiery in places - with the closest I've seen it have a links like feel. The rough has been grown up in several areas which makes finding the short stuff essential. 

Didn't play my best but was an enjoyable change of track. 

Swithering to return to Dumbarnie this week since the weather is looking decent. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'd have been a member back then. Did you not fancy a wee hike up the 9th?😄

Assume you cut over to 15 which was a great hole? It was satisfying when you pinged one on the right line (just left of the marker pole) and knew you had a great chance of driving the green. 

Forget my excuse for only doing 12 that day, maybe lack of time or slow 4's ahead.  But a rest on the 10th tee was always needed, especially after the climb up the path to the tee from the 9th green. Once came across a couple of lads having a few tins by the 10th tee and they said we were the third group they had let play through :laugh:

Aye the 15th was reachable with an iron and if hit just left enough of the marker it'd just roll down to the green. Though in hot dry conditions it'd often just roll through the green and there was that path to the next tee it'd go onto if you were really unlucky! Reachable with a driver on the medal tee too but more risk as going too far left means running into the long stuff.

I look back on Lothianburn with fondness but I didn't half lose a lot of balls. Long rough and gorse everywhere. 18th medal tee was an inviting place for me to lose a ball. Either by thinning it, or hitting one on the ideal line but being unable to find the ball. The addition of the ditch down the right helped stop balls running into the gorse but that fairway was home to a few rabbit holes too. It was a short course in general but plenty ways to muck your card, especially with the wind gusting 40mph on a typical day.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, kila said:

Forget my excuse for only doing 12 that day, maybe lack of time or slow 4's ahead.  But a rest on the 10th tee was always needed, especially after the climb up the path to the tee from the 9th green. Once came across a couple of lads having a few tins by the 10th tee and they said we were the third group they had let play through :laugh:

Aye the 15th was reachable with an iron and if hit just left enough of the marker it'd just roll down to the green. Though in hot dry conditions it'd often just roll through the green and there was that path to the next tee it'd go onto if you were really unlucky! Reachable with a driver on the medal tee too but more risk as going too far left means running into the long stuff.

I look back on Lothianburn with fondness but I didn't half lose a lot of balls. Long rough and gorse everywhere. 18th medal tee was an inviting place for me to lose a ball. Either by thinning it, or hitting one on the ideal line but being unable to find the ball. The addition of the ditch down the right helped stop balls running into the gorse but that fairway was home to a few rabbit holes too. It was a short course in general but plenty ways to muck your card, especially with the wind gusting 40mph on a typical day.

I'm due to play Swanston in the coming weeks so it'll be good to see how they've incorporated the 3rd and 4th from Lothianburn. It's a shame the course couldn't have been retained. 

18th medal tee was a shock the first time I saw it with a card in my hand. 😲😄. I think I ditched the wood and opted for a iron to ensure I got the ball in the air. I bet some played down 17 over the years. 

At long last, Mark Warren wins again. His temprement has been admirable throughout that extremely barren spell. I thought chuckin a few clubs or kickin ***k out his caddie might've sped up his recovery. Well done Mark on the Austrian win...:2thumbsup:

Swing to-die-for!

Edited by OBE

Samuel Camazzola
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Trip to Prestonfield on Friday.

I'd assume a fair few of you have played it, anything to note?

Good opening holes, good closing holes. Pretty meh, in the middle. 

32 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Pretty flat apart from a couple of holes, some good holes, tight in places, a lot of the par fours quite similar.

Decent test though.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Course is in reasonably good condition, though I'm not sure if all the green staff are back yet. I'm a little biased I suppose but I quite enjoy all the holes despite the comment above :whistling:

You can play off the medal tees if you like, there aren't restrictions during the season. The par 3 16th at around 190 yards up hill into a usual westerly wind becomes a par 4 at 250 yards off the back tee. It's reachable if you are a straight hitter but bunkers all around to catch slightly off balls.

The wind sort of swirls around Arthur Seat and it can be a little deceiving at times, as the wind can be into you on one hole, and then on next hole half way up the wind is coming into you again.

hmfc_liam06
19 minutes ago, kila said:

Course is in reasonably good condition, though I'm not sure if all the green staff are back yet. I'm a little biased I suppose but I quite enjoy all the holes despite the comment above :whistling:

You can play off the medal tees if you like, there aren't restrictions during the season. The par 3 16th at around 190 yards up hill into a usual westerly wind becomes a par 4 at 250 yards off the back tee. It's reachable if you are a straight hitter but bunkers all around to catch slightly off balls.

The wind sort of swirls around Arthur Seat and it can be a little deceiving at times, as the wind can be into you on one hole, and then on next hole half way up the wind is coming into you again.

Cheers, might suggest playing off the whites then! My wee cousin joined this year so it's my first trip over to play the course with him. Another to tick off 👍

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Can be very wet down on the lowest bit.   Long dog-leg par5 at the 3rd is a good hole.    Becomes a tad boring until the last 4 holes.    Last 4 are all good holes.

So - played my first knockout of the year yesterday and won against a pretty good player.   It was a bit windy so I thought I would share my longest shots per club! .. This is crazy!  Consistency, is overrated.   Had only 31 putts which won the game for me! 

13 july shot scope

3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That 4 iron 🤣

Very much downhill wind behind! ... but did hit it well

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Bigsmak said:

So - played my first knockout of the year yesterday and won against a pretty good player.   It was a bit windy so I thought I would share my longest shots per club! .. This is crazy!  Consistency, is overrated.   Had only 31 putts which won the game for me! 

13 july shot scope

The 3 Wood? Surely a little recovery shot to keep it low and chase it up the fairway at that distance. 

19 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The 3 Wood? Surely a little recovery shot to keep it low and chase it up the fairway at that distance. 

was just a bad shot I think

Samuel Camazzola
31 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Any advise for getting out of this bunker guys???

The Algarve Sets The World's Biggest Sand Trap

Utilise the newer ruling to drop it out of the bunker? 😳😄

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Full shot with a 64° wedge or just throw it 😂

23 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Full shot with a 64° wedge or just throw it 😂

My old arms would struggle to even throw it out of there.

Would need to use the dogs ball launcher :rofl:

3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Imagine it got plugged up near the top. How the **** would you even get up to it? :lol: 

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Imagine it got plugged up near the top. How the **** would you even get up to it? :lol: 

Crampons and an ice pick?:whistling: