Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

kingantti1874

Played Gullane NR1 last night - what an absolute disaster, started off driving the ball badly, tried to tweak swing after 2/3 holes, started knifing everything right :down: not the course to be playing if your not finding the fairways - i do not know how many balls i lost.... figgin joke... :verymad:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played Gullane NR1 last night - what an absolute disaster, started off driving the ball badly, tried to tweak swing after 2/3 holes, started knifing everything right :down: not the course to be playing if your not finding the fairways - i do not know how many balls i lost.... figgin joke... :verymad:

Playing there tonight in Club Championship. You are right about the rough, its getting tough.

I'll have a look for your balls tonight mate... :whistling:

kingantti1874

Playing there tonight in Club Championship. You are right about the rough, its getting tough.

I'll have a look for your balls tonight mate... :whistling:

honestly mate i dont think i found any,even the few good shots it hit were getting punished with random bounces, ive never felt so bad after a round t the extend im going to have to go for a lesson to get myself back on track. Good luck tonight mate...

scots civil war

playing gullane 1 in the ladies cup(yeah,honestly............) next week ...looking forward to having a go on the great links

whats the condition of the course at the moment,is the rough all up n stuff ?

fairways narrow etc?

Edited by scots civil war

Since playing my 6-7th round in my life at one of the JKB outings a few years ago and scoring around 130, I'm still struggling to break 100!

I know I'm capable and if I had a few weeks of playing 2-3 times per week I'd do it, but I only seem to play around once a fortnight during summer and not at all in winter due to work/girlfriend/cash flow.

I've been playing for 4-5 years now but just can't get the consistency.

I also have lots of problems with my swing. I have a very short swing (If I try and bring the club head too far back I just swing wildly) I close the club face because if I don't I slice it wildly, although I've started hooking it recently.

Woohoo.

Finally broke the 100 on CP last night.

Hit a 94 :)

And that was after starting off with a 9 :seething:

And finishing with 4 doubles in the last 5 holes.

The middle part of my round was brilliant, 6 pars out of 11 holes at 1 point :pleasing:

Andyeyespy

Having a problem, im trying to play a consistant draw shot in all my irons. I understand the swing path but seem to just hit the ball straight or it goes slightly right.

Do i close the club face for a draw? Where do i position the ball on the club face. heel middle or toe?

kingantti1874

playing gullane 1 in the ladies cup(yeah,honestly............) next week ...looking forward to having a go on the great links

whats the condition of the course at the moment,is the rough all up n stuff ?

fairways narrow etc?

first time ive played so cant compare it to usual but fairways were tight in all the wrong places and rough whilst looking not too bad from a distance, jsut couldnt find ball... one of the problems round there is the lack of trees, fences- anything against which you can use to roughly guage where you finished.

kingantti1874

Having a problem, im trying to play a consistant draw shot in all my irons. I understand the swing path but seem to just hit the ball straight or it goes slightly right.

Do i close the club face for a draw? Where do i position the ball on the club face. heel middle or toe?

you never close the club face and alway line it up as you always do, your swing path will determin the flight of the ball - nothing else, stay away from gimicky solutions..

to be honest, just try and hit the ball as straight as you can, and let your natural shot develop... leave all the other bollocks aside unless you really need it, i.e. your stuck under a tree or something..

see below.

you never close the club face and alway line it up as you always do, your swing path will determin the flight of the ball - nothing else, stay away from gimicky solutions..

to be honest, just try and hit the ball as straight as you can, and let your natural shot develop... leave all the other bollocks aside unless you really need it, i.e. your stuck under a tree or something..

this is pretty much the best answer possible. for anyone other than very low handicap players, there's little point attempting to develop a consistent draw with irons. if it's not your natural shape then it will be extremely difficult to pull off.

drawing a driver off the tee is relatively easy. drawing irons off the ground is not. there's little point in it anyway. hitting the ball as straight as possible, or even a gentle fade will pay dividends in the long run.

Andyeyespy

Was hitting my irons sweet as a nut untill the 17th and 18th today. For some reason my iron shots started shooting right. What causes this? I kept the same swing path and dont think i was bring my head up too quick. FRUSTRATING.....

Was hitting my irons sweet as a nut untill the 17th and 18th today. For some reason my iron shots started shooting right. What causes this? I kept the same swing path and dont think i was bring my head up too quick. FRUSTRATING.....

sounds like 'blocking' it.

in other words, marginally not completing the downswing and resultantly striking the ball with the face still slightly open.

Andyeyespy

sounds like 'blocking' it.

in other words, marginally not completing the downswing and resultantly striking the ball with the face still slightly open.

In what way would i not be completing the downswing? Just trying to understand what u have said. Thanks for youre reply

In what way would i not be completing the downswing? Just trying to understand what u have said. Thanks for youre reply

not completing it in that you're hitting the ball a fraction of a second before the club face has squared up at the bottom of the swing. really just a timing thing whereby the downswing doesn't fully complete while your momentum carries on through the shot. the result is a slightly open face and a 'block' to the right. one other cause might be that the address position isn't quite right and the ball is a little too far back in the stance.

if it happens a lot then move the ball forward in the address position. it may only be by a couple of inches. it might just be as simple as the odd swing that you don't quite time right.

look up the internet for causes and effect phrases you hear about on here or anywhere else and you will find question & answer pieces and videos to watch.

Andyeyespy

not completing it in that you're hitting the ball a fraction of a second before the club face has squared up at the bottom of the swing. really just a timing thing whereby the downswing doesn't fully complete while your momentum carries on through the shot. the result is a slightly open face and a 'block' to the right. one other cause might be that the address position isn't quite right and the ball is a little too far back in the stance.

if it happens a lot then move the ball forward in the address position. it may only be by a couple of inches. it might just be as simple as the odd swing that you don't quite time right.

look up the internet for causes and effect phrases you hear about on here or anywhere else and you will find question & answer pieces and videos to watch.

Great help, thank you :thumbsup:

Great help, thank you :thumbsup:

no worries. but it's only as i see things and my understanding of things... which can very easily be wrong sometimes as well. i aint no teaching pro.

Andyeyespy

I keep taking a divot before the ball or no divot at all. What should my set up be with my irons so i can get in the habbit of striking down on the ball rather than through.

I keep taking a divot before the ball or no divot at all. What should my set up be with my irons so i can get in the habbit of striking down on the ball rather than through.

Best to see a PGA pro to sort it out but as a rule of thumb, the ball position should be in the middle of your stance for the wedge/9 iron, with the ball position moving marginally to the left as you go through the bag.

At the other end the ball position for the driver should be just inside the left heel.

Hope that helps but best to get a couple of lessons re alignment/ball position with a pro. You'd be amazed how helpful a lesson can be.

Good luck on sorting it.

Hit an 82 today at craigentinny 44 then 38, previous best was 83. Ive also hit a 38 on the front 9 but just cant put the two together. I dont know what i have to do to be in the seventies.

Captain America

Played 9 holes today for 1st time in few weeks, 1st few holes were very bad, losing 4 balls in the space of 2 holes. But as round went on started playing better and had good finish, 1st time playing with new putter and I only 3 putted once so hopefully my game starting to improve.

Hit an 82 today at craigentinny 44 then 38, previous best was 83. Ive also hit a 38 on the front 9 but just cant put the two together. I dont know what i have to do to be in the seventies.

I shot an 88 round there same day and it was the same can put it together on the front 9 for some reason cant do it on the back 9 and its a easier set of holes.

Tried to go and get a game at Carricknowe today facepalm.pnglike a monsoon and now sunny when im back in the house.

Edited by Jamboelite

The Moray Open starts tomorrow think i`ll struggle to qualify this year went out for ma practice round today and shot a net 76 on the old and a 74 on the new the other day, four putted the last :ahhhhhhh: just not hittin the ball with confidence at the moment

http://www.moraygolf.co.uk/

Hit an 89 today at silverknowes, this was with two 7s and a 9 on the back nine. Not all bad with two birdies and 5 pars to keep me wanting more.

Hit an 89 today at silverknowes, this was with two 7s and a 9 on the back nine. Not all bad with two birdies and 5 pars to keep me wanting more.

Well thats what keeps us all playing... Its the fact that you know you are capable of Paring every single hole and probably birdieing most of them... ONE DAY, One day, one day... it will all come together and I'll post a 65, or better.

Cyprus Jambo

Looking for 2 players to make our team of 4.

Anyone interested - tee off at 15.45 to play in the Haddington Open Texas Scramble. Prefer if you had a registered handicap otherwise you will have to play off scratch. ?10 each.

Let me know ASAP.

Anyone interested - tee off at 15.45 to play in the Haddington Open Texas Scramble. Prefer if you had a registered handicap otherwise you will have to play off scratch. ?10 each.

Let me know ASAP.

what day?

although i have no particular need to, i've just bought a belly putter. :vrface:

really just to try out and see what it can bring to the party. they are primarily used in order to prevent 'yipping'. i wouldn't say i've ever suffered from the yips myself but i would say that i can sometimes detect a bit of brain paralysis over certain putts when the dead weight of the putter in the hands can affect the stroke. sometimes i'm guilty of leaving putts short because i'm guarding against racing it past with a last second twitch. i think this can help to generate a smoother and more reliable stroke for the short to mid range putts, although i'm already fully aware that distance putting can be problematical with a belly putter.

any others in the JKB gowf massive use one, or have tried one?

Cyprus Jambo

Let me know ASAP.

Still looking for 2 players WITH National Handicaps for Friday.......................any takers?

Still looking for 2 players WITH National Handicaps for Friday.......................any takers?

Would really love to.. But have agreed to do dinner with GF and parents that evening.. if it was an hour earlier I would have been well up for it!

The Mighty Thor

although i have no particular need to, i've just bought a belly putter. :vrface:

really just to try out and see what it can bring to the party. they are primarily used in order to prevent 'yipping'. i wouldn't say i've ever suffered from the yips myself but i would say that i can sometimes detect a bit of brain paralysis over certain putts when the dead weight of the putter in the hands can affect the stroke. sometimes i'm guilty of leaving putts short because i'm guarding against racing it past with a last second twitch. i think this can help to generate a smoother and more reliable stroke for the short to mid range putts, although i'm already fully aware that distance putting can be problematical with a belly putter.

any others in the JKB gowf massive use one, or have tried one?

I bought a second hand Odyssey white hot mid off e-bay about 4 years ago when I couldn't put the ball in the hole (even from 18 inches) and my confidence was shot. Used it for about a year until i got a stroke back and then cut the shaft down to 35 inches and re-gripped it as a normal albeit very heavy weight putter. Great in the winter when the greens are as slow as feck and i still use it to this day.

my verdict on belly putters? it's all between the ears anyway so if you use one and it works for you then fair enough :thumbsup:

I bought a second hand Odyssey white hot mid off e-bay about 4 years ago when I couldn't put the ball in the hole (even from 18 inches) and my confidence was shot. Used it for about a year until i got a stroke back and then cut the shaft down to 35 inches and re-gripped it as a normal albeit very heavy weight putter. Great in the winter when the greens are as slow as feck and i still use it to this day.

my verdict on belly putters? it's all between the ears anyway so if you use one and it works for you then fair enough :thumbsup:

:Agree:

promoting a smoother and perhaps more attacking stroke is the plan. i had planned to get an odyssey 2 ball as well, and missed a good one on ebay. i also planned to cut it down if and when the belly putter fad passed me by.

that's about six putters i have now. for someone with very little in the way of putting woes i'll put it down to needless tinkering. i am in fact a putter nutter.

scots civil war

i like blade putters and i have one which i love,it looks great but when it sits on the ground,you have to adjust it to sit square to the ball

no good,as its another notch on the what to do when over the ball scenario

i found an old ping zing s(thats a cavity job with weight either side) under a bed at me parents recently,it was my nephew`s and now using that as it sits perfectly behind the ball......now very confident re 4ft and in...wouldnt say im holing 100% but its solid enough for my standard

i recently had a odyssey xg rossie for two days recently,i sent it back

them mallet putters are hard work from distance...incidently,that didnt sit comfortably either

moral of my jib is that make sure your putter sits good initially rather than goin for the `pretty` option and having to work it etc

i like blade putters and i have one which i love,it looks great but when it sits on the ground,you have to adjust it to sit square to the ball

no good,as its another notch on the what to do when over the ball scenario

i found an old ping zing s(thats a cavity job with weight either side) under a bed at me parents recently,it was my nephew`s and now using that as it sits perfectly behind the ball......now very confident re 4ft and in...wouldnt say im holing 100% but its solid enough for my standard

i recently had a odyssey xg rossie for two days recently,i sent it back

them mallet putters are hard work from distance...incidently,that didnt sit comfortably either

moral of my jib is that make sure your putter sits good initially rather than goin for the `pretty` option and having to work it etc

:Agree:

vintage pings are the mutts nuts. had quite a few of them over the years. pal, zing, anser, anser 2. this was my fav though... the kushin. sits nicely.

1_9b696c037fc3a4719dd67e5030cd863e.jpg

one thing that bugs the hell out of me about putters is how you can pick up a nice odyssey or scotty cameron and you can tell straight away that it's beautifully weighted. how hard can it be for lower end brands to produce a well weighted and well balanced putter? but nothing compares to the high end ones. replicating the feel of a scotty cameron and being able to sell it for under ?50 would surely make some brand an absolute fortune.

scots civil war

that zing of mine is a modern made putter steel face with blue coloured metal on the rest of its noggin.i suppose it will be a classic design tho

its quite a heavy weight and has a thin grip on it,really liking it at the moment

im very averse to buying a club > 150 squid ,i just think theyre all at it but then again i might be losing out

im sure all em scottys and bettinardis are balanced very well tho,but to me any putter that sits well behind the ball,has your kind of weight will do you good

ive a driver fit appointment next week and having to sort out my driving distance from now on.ive played against a couple of punters recently putting it past me twenty yards everytime........is there any places out there that will sell shafts only?

Edited by scots civil war

that zing of mine is a modern made putter steel face with blue coloured metal on the rest of its noggin.i suppose it will be a classic design tho

its quite a heavy weight and has a thin grip on it,really liking it at the moment

im very averse to buying a club > 150 squid ,i just think theyre all at it but then again i might be losing out

im sure all em scottys and bettinardis are balanced very well tho,but to me any putter that sits well behind the ball,has your kind of weight will do you good

ive a driver fit appointment next week and having to sort out my driving distance from now on.ive played against a couple of punters recently putting it past me twenty yards everytime........is there any places out there that will sell shafts only?

yeah there's a few sites that sell shafts. you get them on ebay as well.

grumpy rebus

Shot a 97 (2 over handicap) in the wednesday medal last night, despite losing two balls and hitting 9 (yes nine) trees on a course that doesn't have many. Thinking of taking my wedge out the bag and replacing it with a chainsaw :whistling:

But 32 putts certainly helped. :thumbsup:

92 at Craigentinny today played like an absolute lemon, I was fine off the tee but my normally steady irons were terrible and the short game needs more work.

There is a game in me just need to cut the crap out.

Playing tomorrow so hopefully can put some of it right.

competitions over the weekend. 78 & 79.

give me 30 yards off the tee and i'll bash 10 shots off those, no question.

anyone know of a super-duper driver that's guaranteed to give you 30 yards? ?100 fee to any correct correspondent.

Captain America

Anyone ever played with or currently playing with Nike Ignite irons? I am thinking of getting new set of irons and these are only ?199 from Direct Golf, they seem to look like good set of irons for someone of my standard and within my price range.

Guess The Crowd

competitions over the weekend. 78 & 79.

give me 30 yards off the tee and i'll bash 10 shots off those, no question.

anyone know of a super-duper driver that's guaranteed to give you 30 yards? ?100 fee to any correct correspondent.

I take it you're a super-straight hitter? :thumbsup:

Sometimes, often in fact, an extra 30 yards gets you into trouble......how far, on average, do you hit a driver?

Cyprus Jambo

What a day yesterday, everything from a 2 to an 8. Couldn't drive but just as well my short game helped me out. Net 73 (gross 82) to stay in the 'buffer' zone and remain singles figures for another week - 9.4.

Think time for the driving range or a driving lesson, it's getting me down and I end up losing the head and throwing shots away.

Just got a corporate invite to play the PGA at Gleaneagles next Thursday. I've hardly played this year due to family commitments, gonna head out for a knockabout tonight to shake off the rust :ninja:

grumpy rebus

Just got a corporate invite to play the PGA at Gleaneagles next Thursday. I've hardly played this year due to family commitments, gonna head out for a knockabout tonight to shake off the rust :ninja:

Which course are you due to play. The PGA is a monster!

Which course are you due to play. The PGA is a monster!

Yeah it's the PGA. I played it about 3 years ago with them, played the Queens last time. Will be interesting to see what changes they have started to make for the Ryder Cup as there were a few holes to be redeveloped.

I take it you're a super-straight hitter? :thumbsup:

Sometimes, often in fact, an extra 30 yards gets you into trouble......how far, on average, do you hit a driver?

pretty straight i would say. i doubt having an extra 30 yards in the arsenal would cause any accuracy problems to be honest and i wouldn't half like to test the theory.

distance? with no wind on average ground conditions i would possibly estimate about 250.

i'm actually quite happy with my current driver, a taylormade tour burner with 85 gram stiff shaft and 9.5 degree loft. i would say it's the best driver i've had for a combination of reasonable distance, flight and shape. it's quite easy to draw and fade it.

i highly doubt a driver exists that can demonstrably deliver another 30 yards, but there's no harm in asking the jkb gowfers in case they've stumbled upon a gem.

grumpy rebus

Yeah it's the PGA. I played it about 3 years ago with them, played the Queens last time. Will be interesting to see what changes they have started to make for the Ryder Cup as there were a few holes to be redeveloped.

It's 2 years since I played it and wasn't impressed. It was too long for me.

Played the Kings last year and loved it. Playing the Queens in a few week. Not played it for years, but really looking forward to it.

Guess The Crowd

pretty straight i would say. i doubt having an extra 30 yards in the arsenal would cause any accuracy problems to be honest and i wouldn't half like to test the theory.

distance? with no wind on average ground conditions i would possibly estimate about 250.

i'm actually quite happy with my current driver, a taylormade tour burner with 85 gram stiff shaft and 9.5 degree loft. i would say it's the best driver i've had for a combination of reasonable distance, flight and shape. it's quite easy to draw and fade it.

i highly doubt a driver exists that can demonstrably deliver another 30 yards, but there's no harm in asking the jkb gowfers in case they've stumbled upon a gem.

Fair enough. I'd say 250 yards, consistently straight, is pretty good though.

I probably hit it a similar distance, but if there was one part of my game I could choose to magically improve at, it would be wedges from 100 yards in. That's where the pros are different class.

(PS at the Scottish Open, the high proportion of pros using the R11 was very noticeable).

Fair enough. I'd say 250 yards, consistently straight, is pretty good though.

I probably hit it a similar distance, but if there was one part of my game I could choose to magically improve at, it would be wedges from 100 yards in. That's where the pros are different class.

(PS at the Scottish Open, the high proportion of pros using the R11 was very noticeable).

i'm not sure i could push it to 100 yards but my current sand iron ( it's actually described as a zip-wedge ) is an absolute cracker. it has a really nice weight to it and has U-grooves whuch generate a huge amount of spin, even without being hit particularly hard, and even hitting out of the rough.

i would suggest doing some research and getting one or more new wedges because it doesn't half make a difference to have a club in your hands that you can fly all the way to the hole and have confidence that it won't go far once it gets there.

club manufacturers have cottoned on to the fact that players are more savvy these days when it comes to customising their bag. you now quite often see irons sets sold without sand irons and without 3-irons and even 4-irons because players are sourcing specific clubs to replace those ( specalised wedges and hybrids ). the irons i recently bought came as a 6 club set ( wedge to 5-iron ) and as a result, the cost is significantly reduced from a more traditional 9 club set.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread