• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2nd medal yesterday after Norrie Reilly in the first one, 75 which included a 4 putt and a 3 putt on 17 from about 8 feet!!

Very very windy so pretty chuffed.

Champ qualifying as well so good first score posted.

Disser Pointon

Can anybody recommend any decent and reasonably priced courses to play in Orlando, dont plan on taking my sticks so would need club hire as well?

Cheers

Can anybody recommend any decent and reasonably priced courses to play in Orlando, dont plan on taking my sticks so would need club hire as well?

Cheers

When you going?

I was wanting to know the same thing. I'm over end July into Aug for 2 weeks.

Disser Pointon

When you going?

Jammy git

Not till Easter next year, just booking this week. Was over 6 years ago but didnt have a game so none the wiser.

Jammy git

Its terrible.. I'm going with 5 23 year old girls and i'm this 34 year old with a bit of a beer belly.. It will be hell sitting around the pool at our villa trying not to look like the odd one out.

O wait.. nah it will be fun!

Mate was asking if anyone had used this site before, he was a bit wary as the prices seem to good to be true?

http://www.pickgf.com/

Fake

If you search google for Taylor made r9 4 to pas and see how many similar sites there are that seem to sell the same limited range of goods, all way below what you'd expect to pay.

Read the reviews to, are all their customers a bit soft up top??

No, get your mizuno jpx800 pro irons custom fitted by your pro (did I mention a fitting appt on Friday!!)

Edited by Roy Slater

Disser Pointon

Fake

If you search google for Taylor made r9 4 to pas and see how many similar sites there are that seem to sell the same limited range of goods, all way below what you'd expect to pay.

Read the reviews to, are all their customers a bit soft up top??

No, get your mizuno jpx800 pro irons custom fitted by your pro (did I mention a fitting appt on Friday!!)

Kind of thought that myself, if it seems to good to be true it normally is!!!!

Disser Pointon

When you going?

You can do all the leg work then and report back on the good uns! not going till end March next year.

Bunkered 2 for 1 vouchers.

I'm on deeside for a week during the summer and was thinking of buying some of these vouchers. Anyone use them, and are there ever any hassles?

Well I hang my head in shame, I am getting graphite shafted irons, I can't believe it has come to this.

i just got my first set of graphite irons this season. still getting to grips with them to be fair. the weight of the club in the hands and during the swing is very different and will take a bit of getting used to.

graphite irons can be unstable in terms of accuracy. even the stiff shafted ones i got would appear to have made it harder for me to get a consistent draw. when you're standing over a shot and you don't know where to aim then it's not a good place to be.

i just got my first set of graphite irons this season. still getting to grips with them to be fair. the weight of the club in the hands and during the swing is very different and will take a bit of getting used to.

graphite irons can be unstable in terms of accuracy. even the stiff shafted ones i got would appear to have made it harder for me to get a consistent draw. when you're standing over a shot and you don't know where to aim then it's not a good place to be.

Done the mizuno DNA testing

Club head speed and tempo came out and recommended the graphite at 64 grams a shaft, hit a few with the club and the ball flight and connection was far far better than with the steel shaft (and further on equally well hit shots)

Just have to trust them, my woods and hybrid are graphite

2 weeks and they'll be in

Done the mizuno DNA testing

Club head speed and tempo came out and recommended the graphite at 64 grams a shaft, hit a few with the club and the ball flight and connection was far far better than with the steel shaft (and further on equally well hit shots)

Just have to trust them, my woods and hybrid are graphite

2 weeks and they'll be in

hope you like 'em.

Still makes you feel like a wumin, be getting a 9 wood soon!!!

:lol: i've actually just put a crappy old seven wood in the bag. it's great for picking up a shot out of a cuppy lie.

Played my 8th round in the last two weeks this morning. Shot a 76 with a lost ball (birdied the hole with my provisional so walked off with just a bogey so wasn't that bad) and left the course feeling like i'd played terrible... I had 36 putts which is high for me.. Lots of 3 putting.

Still, I might get cut with the SS being 72.... strange game~!

Disser Pointon

Got outings next week to Swanston and Glencorse. Not played either before so looking forward to them, always like playing new courses.

Another invite the following week to an outing at Archerfield, played it regularly when it first opened but havent been down since the clubhouse was finished so looking forward to that as well.

scots civil war

would love to play archerfield,punters in east lothian reckon the scottish open will be there in the years to come

i remember sheep on the courses at swanston and torphin hill when i was a kid....

talkin about wind,my course the glen allways starts blowing about 11am,its practically a nap to happen as did yesterday

out in 37 i came back in 43,and its becoming a bit of a prob dealing with wind face on in the back nine 25mph last week ,15 yesterday

dont feel as tho im trying to hard,but am conscious of dropping strokes ....any tips ?

heading to goswick next week for a comp,quality links that is

Captain America

I've just joined Kames Country Club near Lanark, quite looking forward to getting to play more regular. Any tips for a 1st time member of a club?

I've just joined Kames Country Club near Lanark, quite looking forward to getting to play more regular. Any tips for a 1st time member of a club?

76 this morning, up another .1

Worst I have played in years

1. P1sh drive

2. Fluffed chip

3. Fat hybrid and fluffed chip

5. Duff hybrid off tee

7. Fluffed chip

8. Thinned chip

9. Drive in divot!!

10. Nice wee 2

11. Fluffed chip

13. Missed 2 foot putt for birdie

16. 3 putt par

17. Fluffed chip, 3 putt from edge

18. Birdie

Practice needed, not hit so many bad shots in one round for years

scots civil war

play as much as you can and your wong is well spent

play as many competitions as you can,you will get to meet the fellow member punters along the way

dont get involved in club politics,unless you want to of course

Played my 8th round in the last two weeks this morning. Shot a 76 with a lost ball (birdied the hole with my provisional so walked off with just a bogey so wasn't that bad) and left the course feeling like i'd played terrible... I had 36 putts which is high for me.. Lots of 3 putting.

Still, I might get cut with the SS being 72.... strange game~!

you've done well. that's what's known as being golf hard. hardened to medal conditions.

i had a reasonable 79 today on tricky and unpredictable greens. it's also still the horrible bare and claggy turf that i hate. score again came to course management and concentration.

that's why we play golf. it's a never ending challenge.

Edited by Jim Panzee

Captain America

Played on the smaller course (3150 yards) Par 62 at Kames yesterday, shot 97, gonna hopefully play the main course this weekend, driving started to improve at end of round.

Gonna see about playing in medals to get my handicap, think i will be high handicapper but just wanna improve my game so i'm not embarrassing when invited to other courses by mates.

Played on the smaller course (3150 yards) Par 62 at Kames yesterday, shot 97, gonna hopefully play the main course this weekend, driving started to improve at end of round.

Gonna see about playing in medals to get my handicap, think i will be high handicapper but just wanna improve my game so i'm not embarrassing when invited to other courses by mates.

You can't get anywhere in life (or golf) if you don't know where you are to start with.. Get your handicap and you will then know what you need to do to get it down.

I don't believe that anyone who is relatively fit and can hit the ball 200yrds with a driver shouldn't be able to play off at least 18.

AS for me...

Well I played 11 rounds in the last 3 weeks. Its been awesome.. What a difference playing this much makes to a game. When I am hitting a bad shot I am recovering better, my short game is batter and I would, at the moment, challenge anyone on here or in the golf club to a putting competition for money. My Confidence in my putter is soo high right now. What a difference it makes to your game when you know the worst you will do is 2 putt. From 15ft I always think I am going to hole....

10035637.jpg

Also - it looks like a putter that the Klingons would use!!!!!!!

Edited by Bigsmak

The Mighty Thor

Gents i'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've got the Anne Franks. They are destroying my game at the moment. If a shot is not a sh*nk it's a pull left because i'm crapping myself that i'm going to sh*nk it.

I do tend to hit the ball with a high-ish draw and i tend to hit the ball from the middle to the heel of the clubface. I'm trying like a bear to work on my ball-striking and hitting out the centre but i'm still pretty much off the heel with every iron in the bag from LW to 3i. My Driving/fairways & Hybrids are faultless at the minute.

I'm rapidly falling out of love with the game because i'm hitting anything from 72 where i'm hitting it well (and sh*nk free) to 92 with 7 or 8 destructive sh*nks, usually resulting in OOB's

Can anyone help with ball striking tips? I've tried keeping the weight back on the heels a bit more and it works to a degree. It's killing me :(

Victorian

Gents i'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've got the Anne Franks. They are destroying my game at the moment. If a shot is not a sh*nk it's a pull left because i'm crapping myself that i'm going to sh*nk it.

I do tend to hit the ball with a high-ish draw and i tend to hit the ball from the middle to the heel of the clubface. I'm trying like a bear to work on my ball-striking and hitting out the centre but i'm still pretty much off the heel with every iron in the bag from LW to 3i. My Driving/fairways & Hybrids are faultless at the minute.

I'm rapidly falling out of love with the game because i'm hitting anything from 72 where i'm hitting it well (and sh*nk free) to 92 with 7 or 8 destructive sh*nks, usually resulting in OOB's

Can anyone help with ball striking tips? I've tried keeping the weight back on the heels a bit more and it works to a degree. It's killing me :(

i've certainly never heard of one single 'silver bullet' cure for the shermans. plenty of people suffer from them to various degrees but i've yet to hear of a particular remedial action to prevent shanking.

the various 'tips' i've heard over the years about the shanks would include:

* keeping the weight towards the heels. (as you mentioned).

* standing slightly further from the ball.

* gripping slightly down the shaft.

* addressing the ball at the tow end of the club.

* addressing the ball forward in the stance.

there will no doubt be others but the one thing that i know i am doing wrong above anything else if i have shanked a shot is that i have lost all rhythm and timing and have 'hit from the top'. sometimes i also note that my leg shuttle through the shot has resulted in me bending my knees excessively and dipping into the strike.

if i was you i would try to adopt one or more of the bullet-pointed 'tips' and see if you can gain some confidence. at the same time i think it's very important to concentrate on rythym & timing. hitting from the top wont happen if you're rythym and timing is good. you're already a good golfer so you will have natural timing in any case.

Captain America

You can't get anywhere in life (or golf) if you don't know where you are to start with.. Get your handicap and you will then know what you need to do to get it down.

I don't believe that anyone who is relatively fit and can hit the ball 200yrds with a driver shouldn't be able to play off at least 18.

AS for me...

Well I played 11 rounds in the last 3 weeks. Its been awesome.. What a difference playing this much makes to a game. When I am hitting a bad shot I am recovering better, my short game is batter and I would, at the moment, challenge anyone on here or in the golf club to a putting competition for money. My Confidence in my putter is soo high right now. What a difference it makes to your game when you know the worst you will do is 2 putt. From 15ft I always think I am going to hole....

10035637.jpg

Also - it looks like a putter that the Klingons would use!!!!!!!

I got a new members meeting this month and gonna try get my handicap as soon as possible after that, I'm taking note of how I'm playing from round to round at the moment, how many fairways,greens in regulations. So hopefully by doing that I can see where i need to improve.

P.s Can I borrow your putting confidence, I four-putted yesterday :down:

The Mighty Thor

i've certainly never heard of one single 'silver bullet' cure for the shermans. plenty of people suffer from them to various degrees but i've yet to hear of a particular remedial action to prevent shanking.

the various 'tips' i've heard over the years about the shanks would include:

* keeping the weight towards the heels. (as you mentioned).

* standing slightly further from the ball.

* gripping slightly down the shaft.

* addressing the ball at the tow end of the club.

* addressing the ball forward in the stance.

there will no doubt be others but the one thing that i know i am doing wrong above anything else if i have shanked a shot is that i have lost all rhythm and timing and have 'hit from the top'. sometimes i also note that my leg shuttle through the shot has resulted in me bending my knees excessively and dipping into the strike.

if i was you i would try to adopt one or more of the bullet-pointed 'tips' and see if you can gain some confidence. at the same time i think it's very important to concentrate on rythym & timing. hitting from the top wont happen if you're rythym and timing is good. you're already a good golfer so you will have natural timing in any case.

Thanks for the tips mate. I've tried many of these with varying degrees of success.

I need to re-boot the head i think and get back to the basics of grip, stance and ball striking until i get through this spell.

I'm going to get up to the range tomorrow night to try to get things going again.

Victorian

Thanks for the tips mate. I've tried many of these with varying degrees of success.

I need to re-boot the head i think and get back to the basics of grip, stance and ball striking until i get through this spell.

I'm going to get up to the range tomorrow night to try to get things going again.

yeah you might as well just practice and get some confidence going.

one other thing about the shanks is that i've heard it said a few times that you can never do it deliberately. if you were to take 100 balls on to the practice ground and try to shank them then it's impossible, not that i've ever tried. if this is true then it perhaps underpins the theory that the shanked shot results from some indeterminable and unconscious action that can't be replicated.

any decent golfer should be able to know in themselves that they've put a really good swing on a shot in terms of waiting for the shot at the bottom of the downswing. you'll no doubt have heard one of your playing partners saying "good shot, you waited on that one...".

Edited by Jim Panzee

The Mighty Thor

any decent golfer should be able to know in themselves that they've put a really good swing on a shot in terms of waiting for the shot at the bottom of the downswing. you'll no doubt have heard one of your playing partners saying "good shot, you waited on that one...".

I've had a few issues over the years with 'chasing' the ball and also with lifting the left elbow out of the shot with the the resulting ballooned shot to the right. There's a

I might try the deliberate shank theory and see how we go.....:teehee:

scots civil war

maybe the shafts are a factor chief ?

regular shafts when your swing speed is rather fast? that wont help you get to the centre of the face perhaps

Disser Pointon

Outing at Archerfield tomorrow which should be nice although the weather forecast isnt as good as today.

Playing the Fidra whereas I prefer the Dirleton but its a freebie so beggars cant be choosers!

The Mighty Thor

maybe the shafts are a factor chief ?

regular shafts when your swing speed is rather fast? that wont help you get to the centre of the face perhaps

I don't think it's the shafts. I went to Wilson in Irvine to have my clubs fitted and ended up with Project X shafts.

I went to the range last night and worked on ball striking and it made a big difference.

Back to basics :thumbsup:

I don't think it's the shafts. I went to Wilson in Irvine to have my clubs fitted and ended up with Project X shafts.

I went to the range last night and worked on ball striking and it made a big difference.

Back to basics :thumbsup:

With the Shanks you need to just take 5-10 days away from the course and not think about it.. I also say that standing slightly further away from the ball helps.. it stops it happening!

Cyprus Jambo

In case anyone is interested (Well worth ?10).

Haddington GC Open week 9/5/11 - 15/5/11

?10 per person per round

One free membership to be given away to a lucky participant

Special rates for anyone joining that week

Full membership at ?399, ?319 for Young Adult 21-30, ?279 for 5 day, ?199 for 18-21 or student, ?60 for junior

Call the Pro Shop to book tee times 01620 822727 or email [email protected]

We also have spaces in our Open Competitions, entries for these can be made by calling 01620 823627 or emailing [email protected]

Membership Available Contact Office For Details

Haddington Golf Clubs' policy for 2 for 1 discount tickets is 50% of the day rate per person.

Disser Pointon

Greens at Archerfield were a bit ropey but the facilities and service are first class. I could get well used to having my clubs taken oot the car and put on the first tee for me and having my shoes polished for me getting back in...how the other half live!

Need to get a game at the Rennaissance somehow now!!

Sex Panther

I've got my first ever medal tomorrow at Carrick Knowe.

They've hit me with a handicap of 17, which I think it about 5 shots too low but I guess most first time handicappers say this and it's probably to protect against Banditry(is that word?).

Victorian

golf is mental. literally as well as metaphorically.

medal today.

first 3 holes - level par.

next 6 holes - 9 over par.

back nine - 1 under par.

crazy.

:vrface:

Disser Pointon

golf is mental. literally as well as metaphorically.

medal today.

first 3 holes - level par.

next 6 holes - 9 over par.

back nine - 1 under par.

crazy.

:vrface:

The funny thing is, that's what keeps you coming back!!

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Victorian

The funny thing is, that's what keeps you coming back!!

I know what you mean but perhaps also a little disheartening. That's the best competition 9-hole score I can remember having in 30 years of competition golf. Probably something like 300 - 500 rounds. Completely wasted when placed alongside the front nine of a drunk chimp. There's little reason to hope that those events will suddenly become routine so it feels like a boat missed. It's one of the hardest things to put two good/great halves together in the one round. Rarely achieved.

Disser Pointon

I know what you mean but perhaps also a little disheartening. That's the best competition 9-hole score I can remember having in 30 years of competition golf. Probably something like 300 - 500 rounds. Completely wasted when placed alongside the front nine of a drunk chimp. There's little reason to hope that those events will suddenly become routine so it feels like a boat missed. It's one of the hardest things to put two good/great halves together in the one round. Rarely achieved.

I know exactly what you mean I tend to be a fairly slow starter and the majority of my medal rounds consist of a poor to mediocre front nine coupled with a decent back nine. Frustrating as you say but I always try to take the positives from a round and forget about the bad shots, we'd go mental otherwise!

I know exactly what you mean I tend to be a fairly slow starter and the majority of my medal rounds consist of a poor to mediocre front nine coupled with a decent back nine. Frustrating as you say but I always try to take the positives from a round and forget about the bad shots, we'd go mental otherwise!

Perhaps you should turn up 45 mins earlier and hit balls on the range to get the 'front nine' badness out your systems?

Disser Pointon

Perhaps you should turn up 45 mins earlier and hit balls on the range to get the 'front nine' badness out your systems?

It tends to be more "first tee nerves" with me rather than needing warmed up, despite playing for over 20 years I still get excited and nervous when I walk onto the first tee in a competition and it takes me a few holes to settle normally. Daft I know, but thats just the way it is!

Disser Pointon

Anybody got any recommendations on a GPS or laser range finder, really fancy one and my old man is looking for one for his 60th?

Cant make my mind up which is better they seem to both have pro's and con's, I am leaning towards the laser range finder though as you can "ping" any point you want for a yardage. The only downside of them is if you dont have a clear line to the green. Bushnell seem to be the market leader although a US make Leupold are reviewed as being better.

As far as GPS is concerned the Callway UPRO looks the best and you can map to any point on the hole with it not just the green.

C'mon then, who's got one!?

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Old Hearts

Anybody got any recommendations on a GPS or laser range finder, really fancy one and my old man is looking for one for his 60th?

Cant make my mind up which is better they seem to both have pro's and con's, I am leaning towards the laser range finder though as you can "ping" any point you want for a yardage. The only downside of them is if you dont have a clear line to the green. Bushnell seem to be the market leader although a US make Leupold are reviewed as being better.

As far as GPS is concerned the Callway UPRO looks the best and you can map to any point on the hole with it not just the green.

Got the Sky Caddie B&W version. Basic & simple to use. Gives you yardages to the front/middle/back of greens & distances to clear bunkers, etc.

Does the job for me!!

it wasn't this for myself at the weekend. started with three pars and an acceptable +1 at the fourth... then just went bananas for an hour before suddenly waking up. it didn't help at be plugged in two bunkers in a row at the 7th right enough.

my course has a very tricky stretch from 4 through to 8 where shots can be frittered away. you can say that for more or less the full front nine. it's always a case of trying to build something acceptable and then attempt to go banzai coming home. it makes for an interesting time. i do prefer that to some courses where the front nine is the area where you must score and then try to hold on to your ass on the back nine.

the basic rangefinder apps you get for i-phone or android are all you need really, and can be upgraded to deluxe versions if you want to pay a small fee. seems like a better deal than buying a dedicated unit.

Disser Pointon

it wasn't this for myself at the weekend. started with three pars and an acceptable +1 at the fourth... then just went bananas for an hour before suddenly waking up. it didn't help at be plugged in two bunkers in a row at the 7th right enough.

my course has a very tricky stretch from 4 through to 8 where shots can be frittered away. you can say that for more or less the full front nine. it's always a case of trying to build something acceptable and then attempt to go banzai coming home. it makes for an interesting time. i do prefer that to some courses where the front nine is the area where you must score and then try to hold on to your ass on the back nine.

the basic rangefinder apps you get for i-phone or android are all you need really, and can be upgraded to deluxe versions if you want to pay a small fee. seems like a better deal than buying a dedicated unit.

Funny you should say that I tried out a free one on my Blackberry (golflogix) during yesterdays medal and it was pretty decent. No good for my old man mind you so still looking for feedback if anyone has any.

Played decent yesterday but 5 over my 8 handicap with two disastrous holes which yielded a 7&8 respectively, long time since I have had either of those numbers on my card!!! Early signs for the season are alright though as my ball striking was pretty good. Larks medal on Sunda, 6.15am tee off, hardly worth going to bed. :mellow:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread