Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

for the first time ever i parred the 16th at silverknowes. 6 iron off the tee then hit a sweet 3 wood which left me a 9 iron on to the green and one putted. WELL CHUFFED..... for those who have never played it, it should never be a par 4

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Disser Pointon

for the first time ever i parred the 16th at silverknowes. 6 iron off the tee then hit a sweet 3 wood which left me a 9 iron on to the green and one putted. WELL CHUFFED..... for those who have never played it, it should never be a par 4

Bit of a strange choice off the tee, no?!

Bit of a strange choice off the tee, no?!

Sounds like u havent played there. Played a 6 iron to try produce a nice draw round the bend, if i choose a longer iron i risk hitting the rough a shorter iron i struggle to get past the trees in these conditions.

If u have played there, how do u go about it!?

Anyone use golf pride 2g tour wrap grips. I have my 3 wood set up with this but was thinking of doing my whole set

• 2 weeks later...
Disser Pointon

Sounds like u havent played there. Played a 6 iron to try produce a nice draw round the bend, if i choose a longer iron i risk hitting the rough a shorter iron i struggle to get past the trees in these conditions.

If u have played there, how do u go about it!?

Have to confess I hae only played there once and it was over 20yrs ago so my recollection of the holes is a bit sketchy!

Looking for a bit of golf related help.

I am looking for advice from anyone who may have tried / is using Oakley transition lenses when playing. I need to get a prescription lens (to see the ball at long distance) and the transitions seem ideal as they can be worn on dull days and in the sunshine. Question is.. there are clear to dark lenses (clear to black iridium) and there are contrast lenses like the VR50, G40 and Persimmon (black iridium). Anyone tried any of these lens and can advise for or against?

Cheers in advance :thumbsup:

Edited by AndyMcI

Was out playing today, front 9 hit 44 from the yellow tees.

Went round the front 9 again but this time with a guy i teamed up with and off the medals, hit a 39.

Just showes what a wee bit competition does for ur game.

Still not happy with my driver since I broke it so have fixed my self a little appointment to get me swing checked to see what is the best shaft to get.

See how I get on this weekend and hopefully be able to start the season with a bit more confidence and the right driver (shaft).

Disser Pointon

Suggest we look towards mid to late February depending on the weather, start off with Gullane and the Glen in either order with Haddington and Monktonhall afterwards?

How about 18 Feb (Hearts away to Motherwell)for either the Glen or Gullane and we can sort other dates out then?

Still not happy with my driver since I broke it so have fixed my self a little appointment to get me swing checked to see what is the best shaft to get.

See how I get on this weekend and hopefully be able to start the season with a bit more confidence and the right driver (shaft).

Was playing the game for 6 months and bought a r7 stiff shaft (didnt know what i was doing). 3 years down the line i now use burner 2.0 stiff shaft. With me new to the game i had to learn quickly to speed up my swing to keep up with the other big hitters out there.

I now have all my clubs with stiff shafts as i want my swing to be as sharp as possible so it helps me concentrate on every shot otherwise my swing can become lazy.

Disser Pointon

Was playing the game for 6 months and bought a r7 stiff shaft (didnt know what i was doing). 3 years down the line i now use burner 2.0 stiff shaft. With me new to the game i had to learn quickly to speed up my swing to keep up with the other big hitters out there.

I now have all my clubs with stiff shafts as i want my swing to be as sharp as possible so it helps me concentrate on every shot otherwise my swing can become lazy.

I'm the opposite, cant hit a stiif shaft to save my life and I'm much more in control when I swing easy. Last time I got fitted with a set of irons the pro left me on the range to warm up, every second shot was a shank and I was dreading him coming back but it was fine when he gave me regular shafted clubs!

Played in a medal on Saturday there. No.3 at Gullane so the par is 68. We started early and the greens were white with frost until we got the the 8th. It made a huge difference as the ball was picking up the frost and the longer the put the more frost it picked up and the slower it went. So it wasn't easy to put... Then after 8 they really sped up..

So - I shot a 79, net 74.. I took 3 to get down from the side of the green on at least 10 occasions. This included the holes where I nearly drove the green.. I only actually had 32 putts (from on the green - not counting those where I putted from just off) ..

I think i have worked out what is wrong with my game.. My chipping and pitching is pish!

So - anyone want to give me a short game lesson?

Disser Pointon

Played in a medal on Saturday there. No.3 at Gullane so the par is 68. We started early and the greens were white with frost until we got the the 8th. It made a huge difference as the ball was picking up the frost and the longer the put the more frost it picked up and the slower it went. So it wasn't easy to put... Then after 8 they really sped up..

So - I shot a 79, net 74.. I took 3 to get down from the side of the green on at least 10 occasions. This included the holes where I nearly drove the green.. I only actually had 32 putts (from on the green - not counting those where I putted from just off) ..

I think i have worked out what is wrong with my game.. My chipping and pitching is pish!

So - anyone want to give me a short game lesson?

I can give you sort of a lesson......sort of................watch me when we play on the 19th, it wont make you any better but you'll realise your chipping and putting actually isnt that bad after all!!!!!!!

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

The Mighty Thor

Had an enjoyable game at Dunbar yesterday, a wee bit cold but a lovely day. A few temp greens on due to frost but it's in great nick.

Had a quick chat with Jim Jefferies as we waited on a green clearing. :thumbsup:

Disser Pointon

First game in over 2 months on Saturday there. Driving and irons reasonably proficient but chipping and putting really rusty which is only to be expected.

Looking forward to the JKB fourball at Gullane 1 on Saturday with Bigsmak, Scots Civil War and Cyprus Jambo. Not much between the handicaps so hoping my ball lands next to Bigsmaks in the toss up for the local knowledge!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

First game in over 2 months on Saturday there. Driving and irons reasonably proficient but chipping and putting really rusty which is only to be expected.

Looking forward to the JKB fourball at Gullane 1 on Saturday with Bigsmak, Scots Civil War and Cyprus Jambo. Not much between the handicaps so hoping my ball lands next to Bigsmaks in the toss up for the local knowledge!

I played on sunday as well... Birdied two of the 3 par 5s and lipped out 6 times for birdie putts of under 10ft... SO happy with how it went.. But still chipping is a bit dodgy.. I either have easy pars or scramble a bogey if I miss the green with my second shot!

Disser Pointon

Played in a JKB four ball today at Gullane 1 with Bigsmak, Cyprus Jambo and Scots Civil War. Its fair to say it was a bit windy and we got caught in a storm which threw horizontal hail at us for 10 minutes!! Aside from that though it was very enjoyable and the greens were excellent for this time of year.

SCW and I gave the other pair a 3 hole lead after 3 but the cream eventually rose to the top with us running out winners 1 up!

Looking forward to the other matches at the Glen, Musselburgh and Haddington (preferably in better weather).

Played in a JKB four ball today at Gullane 1 with Bigsmak, Cyprus Jambo and Scots Civil War. Its fair to say it was a bit windy and we got caught in a storm which threw horizontal hail at us for 10 minutes!! Aside from that though it was very enjoyable and the greens were excellent for this time of year.

SCW and I gave the other pair a 3 hole lead after 3 but the cream eventually rose to the top with us running out winners 1 up!

Looking forward to the other matches at the Glen, Musselburgh and Haddington (preferably in better weather).

Upset to loose considering we were 3 up... I shot a 75, 4 over par scratch score today in that wind.....

Disser Pointon

Upset to loose considering we were 3 up... I shot a 75, 4 over par scratch score today in that wind.....

It was a good match though, after a scrappy start I was relatively consistent myself and got to grips with the greens reasonably well which always helps my game. 4 over scratch in that wind today was excellent even off the front tees.....................just not good enough!

It was a good match though, after a scrappy start I was relatively consistent myself and got to grips with the greens reasonably well which always helps my game. 4 over scratch in that wind today was excellent even off the front tees.....................just not good enough!

Bigsmak - can't believe you forgot to mention that at 3 up we gave them both a shot a hole until they got level!!!!

Enjoyed the day out but not the weather. Course was in very good nick but fairways were not wide enough for me!!!!! All started so well with the par at the first and down hill most of the way although did par the last 2 but not good enough as SCW found his putting and Bleedsmaroon got some good consistancy going half way round.

As said, enjoyed the day - here's to the next one and revenge!!

Disser Pointon

Bigsmak - can't believe you forgot to mention that at 3 up we gave them both a shot a hole until they got level!!!!

Enjoyed the day out but not the weather. Course was in very good nick but fairways were not wide enough for me!!!!! All started so well with the par at the first and down hill most of the way although did par the last 2 but not good enough as SCW found his putting and Bleedsmaroon got some good consistancy going half way round.

As said, enjoyed the day - here's to the next one and revenge!!

Yes, but I seem to recall that you received the same in return when we only went 2 up, one of which was at a par 3!!!

:whistling::rolleyes::thumbsup::whistling:

Yes, but I seem to recall that you received the same in return when we only went 2 up, one of which was at a par 3!!!

:whistling::rolleyes::thumbsup::whistling:

We didn't even need it at the Par 3.. we both had 3s and you both didn't!

Disser Pointon

We didn't even need it at the Par 3.. we both had 3s and you both didn't!

That is mere detail, you were taking the stroke and we both crumbled under the pressure of needing a 2 for a half!

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you guys been out to the Taylor Made Centre at Linlithgow and is it worth it ?

Picked up playing again last year and plan on getting a new set of clubs but really need to get fitted etc to find what works for me as im now playing off 20 as opposed to the 13 I previously did.

The only trouble is that I may not specifically want Taylor I just wanted someone to give me details on what I should be looking out to buy based on my swing and also get proper assessment which im hoping is better than just going to American Golf.

Any advise is appreciated.

JE

scots civil war

try the golf shop on seafield road mate,direct golf have it now and they love people like you

they got a set up to hit nuts over there,just go over on the blag and spend an hour or so on different clubs/sets etc

it's the time of year when i generally start looking at some new gowf shoes and clobber.

straight off the bat... golf shoe sambas!!! all the other shoes can GTFO right now. ?65 aint too shabby.

:pleasingao:

i do believe that some outrageous strides will be the order of the day this summer too.

Edited by The Revenant

The Mighty Thor

it's the time of year when i generally start looking at some new gowf shoes and clobber.

straight off the bat... golf shoe sambas!!! all the other shoes can GTFO right now. ?65 aint too shabby.

:pleasingao:

i do believe that some outrageous strides will be the order of the day this summer too.

Vic I purchased a pair of the Sambas and they are 'la couilles de chene' :thumbsup:

On a side note and for equipment freaks.......

I tested out Taylor Made's new Rocketballz driver round Dunbar this morning. Wow! It's a good 20 yards better than my Callaway Razr Hawk. Easy to shape either way and still pretty good of a toe hit. Very impressive stuff.

Vic I purchased a pair of the Sambas and they are 'la couilles de chene' :thumbsup:

On a side note and for equipment freaks.......

I tested out Taylor Made's new Rocketballz driver round Dunbar this morning. Wow! It's a good 20 yards better than my Callaway Razr Hawk. Easy to shape either way and still pretty good of a toe hit. Very impressive stuff.

good to hear TMT. it's always nice to hear of genuine distance gain on one of the newer drivers. 20 yards is absolutely worth the money.

i was expecting this to be upwards of ?300 but am amazed to see it's from about ?185 or so. the reviews are also highly promising.

taylormade is my preferred driver manufacturer and i'm definitely in for this chap. thanks for the info.

edit - i would normally be baw deep for a stiff flex 10.5 degree but i'm going to try and flatten out the flight of my drives to get the full benefit of run in the summer. will maybe get the 9.5 degree instead.

which flex/loft did you test?

Edited by The Revenant

The Mighty Thor

good to hear TMT. it's always nice to hear of genuine distance gain on one of the newer drivers. 20 yards is absolutely worth the money.

i was expecting this to be upwards of ?300 but am amazed to see it's from about ?185 or so. the reviews are also highly promising.

taylormade is my preferred driver manufacturer and i'm definitely in for this chap. thanks for the info.

edit - i would normally be baw deep for a stiff flex 10.5 degree but i'm going to try and flatten out the flight of my drives to get the full benefit of run in the summer. will maybe get the 9.5 degree instead.

which flex/loft did you test?

I've always been anti adjustable drivers but i have to say this thing has changed my mind.

i tried the 9.5 stiff but was adjusting it on course. I was getting great flight from the standard & +1.5* settings. In fact the +1.5* gave a really good high draw flight which was rolling on for miles.

It's definitely worth a test as for me it's miles ahead of the R11.

In fact after pay day it'll be in my bag :thumbsup:

I think you are not allowed to adjust it on the course once you have commenced play - In a medal or match etc...

Be careful with that.

The Mighty Thor

I think you are not allowed to adjust it on the course once you have commenced play - In a medal or match etc...

Be careful with that.

I think you are correct, you cannot alter a club once in play.

I was only testing it out to see the difference between the various set up options.

I think the Rocketballz is going to be my new set of clubs have to go up again this weekend to try them some more but they dont half travel sheesh !!!!

I've always been anti adjustable drivers but i have to say this thing has changed my mind.

i tried the 9.5 stiff but was adjusting it on course. I was getting great flight from the standard & +1.5* settings. In fact the +1.5* gave a really good high draw flight which was rolling on for miles.

thanks thor. i might see if they have a test club up at the braids that you can hit a few balls with.

i wasn't even thinking about a driver until you mentioned this. now that i see there's a chance of genuine gain at a decent price it's something to look forward to in a few months. i'll start the season with my TM burner and look at the RBZ a while after. i think the best time to try a new driver is once the new season swing has ingrained and settled down. not having played for months my swing will be like shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Played in the mist this morning. Couldn't see a thing for the first 8 holes.

I was 3 under par after 7.. and I felt that I should have been 6 under, 3 puts lipped out and the ones I did hole were all 6fters...

Couldn't believe how well I was hitting the ball considering I couldn't see where I was aiming or where it was going.

Then the mist lifted and I had a couple of double bogies.. Still finished with a 4 over par scratch 75. hopefully the SS will be up at 73 so not a bad round all in all.

Stupid game!

iamcraigbeattie

Ive had a few hits of the Rocketballz driver and it left me speechless!! Found myself at least a club less on most fairway than normal.

Are you going for the normal, tour or tour tp version? I hear the tour will give a lower launch!?

Rudi Skacel

Playing for the first time since October on Monday at Haddington

Got my "new" set of irons yesterday. Mizuno ones which are blades apparently?

Boy from the work gave me them, they used to be his sons who is an amateur and they are no use to him now because some of them have got a ball mark on the club. Fine for someone with my ability so quite looking forward to using them on Monday.

Was told that when he first got them they cost him ?700 so for me to get them given to me is :pleasing:

Gutted,

To follow on from the above post - I got beat on the inward half. 33 out 42 in.. I totally blew it. Could have been the first trophy of the year if I hadn't bottled it when 3 under par.

Played in the mist this morning. Couldn't see a thing for the first 8 holes.

I was 3 under par after 7.. and I felt that I should have been 6 under, 3 puts lipped out and the ones I did hole were all 6fters...

Couldn't believe how well I was hitting the ball considering I couldn't see where I was aiming or where it was going.

Then the mist lifted and I had a couple of double bogies.. Still finished with a 4 over par scratch 75. hopefully the SS will be up at 73 so not a bad round all in all.

Stupid game!

got a couple of games coming up this week. first outings for quite a number of months.

i expect nothing apart from:

1. swinging like a runaway train.

2. a lot of thinned and shanked irons.

3. a few topped drives.

4. intensely painful ribs and abdomen in the days after.

looking forward to it.

Anyone else going to the Scottish golf show this weekend then?

Cracking deal, ?15 for 3 rounds of golf plus tickets to the Johnny Walker Championship at Gleneagles, as well as your ticket to the show.

Going on Friday and looking forward to it!

Rudi Skacel

Went round in 94 at Haddington yesterday, including 2 birdies at the first and seventh and pars at the 5th, 13th and 17th

So infuriating though, Tee to green im ok, im usually about the green area after 3 shots but once im there I just go to pieces.

I know I could break 90 easily but its the crappy pitches, silly 3 putts that cost me dearly. Ill get there soon though.

Cracking day for it though

Just played around No. 3 at gullane. Shot a 69, 1 over par with a double bogey at 13 which annoyed me. 3 good birdies though and hitting the ball very well.

I love golf

got a couple of games coming up this week. first outings for quite a number of months.

i expect nothing apart from:

1. swinging like a runaway train.

2. a lot of thinned and shanked irons.

3. a few topped drives.

4. intensely painful ribs and abdomen in the days after.

looking forward to it.

first game for six months. didn't realise how long it actually was.

drove pleasingly well considering. actually had quite a good rhythm going. none of the dreaded shanks but a couple of thinned irons due to flashing from the top. it will take a good few games to get the iron play going. any muppet can hit a ball off a tee peg. quite depressing to see that our bunkers are just as unplayable as they were when i last saw them. literally unplayable.

quite a reasonable toe-in-the-water all-in-all.

Finally given up on my 30 year old Ben Sayer blades and got a set of Callaway X14s for ?90. Hope to try them out tomorrow. :D

Just sorting out the new purchases

G20 irons and R11s driver after comparing with the Rocketballz cant wait for them to turn up there goes

my bonus.

Shot 87 round Craigentinny for the 2nd round of the year 5 yes 5 three putts could have and should have been 81-82 gross.

Amazing what happens when someone tells you to hit down and through the ball everything is straight and long. Someone just teach me to putt i cannae do it.

Edited by Jamboelite

Rudi Skacel

Any JKber fancy a game sometime soon?

i dont have a handicap but if I did id estimate it would be 21ish.

East Lothian area preferably

I'm so inconsistent it is unreal.

Hacked a 107 (par 71) around Silver Knowes yesterday, barely hitting a clean shot all day.

Shot a 30 (par 27) around the 9 hole Templar at Swanston today.

:ermm:

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread