Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Finished Uni for the summer so got a chance to get a few rounds in. Played twice in the last week and a half or so. Played 9 holes at Carrick Knowe and after a dodgy first few holes, I parred the 4th which I was very happy with and then played fairly consistently over the remaining holes.

Played my first round at the Merchants on Friday afternoon. Heard bad things about it but since Napier students can play a round for ?10, me and my mate decided to give it a bash. It's quite short which suits me and the conditions were excellent. I go into every round just hoping to break 100 (I'm not particularly good) and it very rarely happens but I just go out to try and enjoy it, despite the frustrating moments. Played consistently well over the first 13 holes, including a fairly solid front 9 and I was happy with how things were going until I OB'd at 14 and it went downhill from there until I got par at the last.

One thing I did notice is that my driving has improved and my short game has stalled a bit - I was either putting it too short or too long and my chipping was inconsistent, can never make the right contact with the ball.

Thought it was a decent course for someone of my limited ability with some cracking holes (hole 13 was a particular favourite of mine) and hopefully playing again tomorrow.

merchants is a cracking track. much much better than it's reputation. it's probably not so much worth playing in high winds right enough but on a nice calm summer's day it's very enjoyable. it's pretty much a pitch-and-putt course but you have to be extremely accurate or a lot of trouble lurks.

i haven't played it for quite a number of years but when i did, it was a par 64. 32 both halves. it may or may not have been modified since. because of it's very short length and very low par score, it's possible to shoot 'dream' type low numbers on it. i once had a putt at the 18th for 29 home myself. it might not be muirfield or carnoustie but there's a certain enjoyment to be had in playing a course where those types of numbers are possible... or whatever numbers invoke the same excitement at whatever level, whether that be category one players or rank beginner.

i always recommend this course to people for somewhere to try out. my next visit there is long overdue.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

merchants is a cracking track. much much better than it's reputation. it's probably not so much worth playing in high winds right enough but on a nice calm summer's day it's very enjoyable. it's pretty much a pitch-and-putt course but you have to be extremely accurate or a lot of trouble lurks.

i haven't played it for quite a number of years but when i did, it was a par 64. 32 both halves. it may or may not have been modified since. because of it's very short length and very low par score, it's possible to shoot 'dream' type low numbers on it. i once had a putt at the 18th for 29 home myself. it might not be muirfield or carnoustie but there's a certain enjoyment to be had in playing a course where those types of numbers are possible... or whatever numbers invoke the same excitement at whatever level, whether that be category one players or rank beginner.

i always recommend this course to people for somewhere to try out. my next visit there is long overdue.

Par 65 now - 33 out and 32 in.

I've enjoyed it both times I've played it in the last few days and for someone of my ability, I think it's an opportunity to try and boost the confidence a bit because it's so short.

Definitely think I'm striking the ball better now but my putting needs a lot of work.

Old Hearts

Sorry, but gotta disagree. Played it on numerous occassions, but always find it a chore.

Back 9 is especially annoying. Blind Par 3's are just wrong, and there's 3 where u cant see the green, let alone the pin!!! .... The par 3 down the hill (13th) is a fun hole tho.

One of the poorest courses in Edinburgh, IMHO.

Newish clubhouse is very smart tho.

Par 65 now - 33 out and 32 in.

I've enjoyed it both times I've played it in the last few days and for someone of my ability, I think it's an opportunity to try and boost the confidence a bit because it's so short.

Definitely think I'm striking the ball better now but my putting needs a lot of work.

exactly. lots of chances for 2s and 3s and an opportunity to put together good scores. on the flip side the course has many holes that are brutally tight which, if you play it a lot and don't want to spend all your pennies on golf balls, may be able to force you to hit is where you're aiming in a damn hurry. a wild player could lose a ball a hole on that place.

i would keep playing it if i was you, if you're enjoying it. it wont half keep you fit as well.

Sorry, but gotta disagree. Played it on numerous occassions, but always find it a chore.

Back 9 is especially annoying. Blind Par 3's are just wrong, and there's 3 where u cant see the green, let alone the pin!!! .... The par 3 down the hill (13th) is a fun hole tho.

One of the poorest courses in Edinburgh, IMHO.

Newish clubhouse is very smart tho.

that's a pity you don't like it. i always thought the par 3 stretch from 11-13 were tremendous holes. i don't see why it matters that the tee shots are blind on 11 and 12. 13 isn't blind as you play from the top away down to the bottom. each to their own though.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

exactly. lots of chances for 2s and 3s and an opportunity to put together good scores. on the flip side the course has many holes that are brutally tight which, if you play it a lot and don't want to spend all your pennies on golf balls, may be able to force you to hit is where you're aiming in a damn hurry. a wild player could lose a ball a hole on that place.

i would keep playing it if i was you, if you're enjoying it. it wont half keep you fit as well.

Lost a few today, but I kept finding balls too so it balanced out :lol:.

I get where Old Hearts is coming from, the blind par 3's annoy me. I hit what I felt was a cracking tee shot right up the middle on 11 today, but couldn't fit my ball anywhere when I got to the top of the hill, very frustrating. 17 is a hellish hole also. Love 13, my favourite hole. Managed to get my ball on the green from the tee today which was very pleasing, but sadly I topped my first tee shot and it went in the trees :lol:.

Going to keep playing it though as I do think I can improve my game if I keep playing it.

Edited by Jambo Ian 1874

Lost a few today, but I kept finding balls too so it balanced out :lol:.

I get where Old Hearts is coming from, the blind par 3's annoy me. I hit what I felt was a cracking tee shot right up the middle on 11 today, but couldn't fit my ball anywhere when I got to the top of the hill, very frustrating. 17 is a hellish hole also. Love 13, my favourite hole. Managed to get my ball on the green from the tee today which was very pleasing, but sadly I topped my first tee shot and it went in the trees :lol:.

Going to keep playing it though as I do think I can improve my game if I keep playing it.

aye there's a few shit-or-bust shots right enough. maybe the club can justify that because that's the course's only defence. get the crucial shots right where you have to be pinpoint precise and you're laughing. i think the 18th is my favourite hole there. a driveable par 4 with enough room to allow you to have ping at the green.

all the best. you'll be ripping it up soon enough.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

aye there's a few shit-or-bust shots right enough. maybe the club can justify that because that's the course's only defence. get the crucial shots right where you have to be pinpoint precise and you're laughing. i think the 18th is my favourite hole there. a driveable par 4 with enough room to allow you to have ping at the green.

all the best. you'll be ripping it up soon enough.

18 is good, managed to score par both times.

Cheers :thumbsup:. Got a few family members who are/were cracking golfers and I'd love to improve to such a stage where I can say I'm keeping up the tradition.

Old Hearts

that's a pity you don't like it. i always thought the par 3 stretch from 11-13 were tremendous holes. i don't see why it matters that the tee shots are blind on 11 and 12. 13 isn't blind as you play from the top away down to the bottom. each to their own though.

Dont mind blind tee shots to a fairway, but when u cant see a green from the tee on a par 3 its just not right.

Agree that 13 is a tremendous hole tho. Always fun trying to judge how far the ball is gonna move in the air with a 40mph cross wind!!! ... Have seen myself standing on that tee trying to hit a cut-down driver to hold it into the wind....never works out tho!! Haha.

GUTTED

One of the clubs I a am a member of decides who is club champion over four rounds.. SO best scratch score wins... I missed out by 1 shot... and also missed the handicap prize by 1 shot as well...

three double bogies in a row last night wiped out my 4 birdies... What a stupid game!

GUTTED

One of the clubs I a am a member of decides who is club champion over four rounds.. SO best scratch score wins... I missed out by 1 shot... and also missed the handicap prize by 1 shot as well...

three double bogies in a row last night wiped out my 4 birdies... What a stupid game!

unlucky mate. that's a gutter right enough.

i just played my club championship qualifying. 85 and 77. a true tale of horror on the greens on saturday. slightly less putting horror on the sunday, with a few long putts canned. 10 three putts over 36 holes is just unacceptable though. i've ended up playing not bad on the sunday but nothing special... and somehow managed to scoop some sweep money and get cut 0.2 :D

silly game alright.

Old Hearts

Shot 70 and 69 in my club championship yesterday to be leading qualifier. Hopefully enough to get me back down to scratch.

Now, onto the match-play!!! ;-)

Shot 70 and 69 in my club championship yesterday to be leading qualifier. Hopefully enough to get me back down to scratch.

Now, onto the match-play!!! ;-)

brilliant. that's top shooting. the matchplay will take care of itself chief.

Old Hearts

brilliant. that's top shooting. the matchplay will take care of itself chief.

Cheers mate. Yup, looking forward to the match-play.....my favourite form of golf. Playing against your opponent, not the golf course.

Cheers mate. Yup, looking forward to the match-play.....my favourite form of golf. Playing against your opponent, not the golf course.

i sort of agree. i like matchplay as well but i do believe that strokeplay is the best form of golf... because it's the toughest discipline.

any golfer who hasn't achieved his/her best potential in terms of medal scores and handicap hasn't really achieved their overall potential. putting together 18 holes of putting out on every hole and it adding up to a good score is the most satisfying thing of being a golfer.

all the best in the championship.

Old Hearts

i sort of agree. i like matchplay as well but i do believe that strokeplay is the best form of golf... because it's the toughest discipline.

any golfer who hasn't achieved his/her best potential in terms of medal scores and handicap hasn't really achieved their overall potential. putting together 18 holes of putting out on every hole and it adding up to a good score is the most satisfying thing of being a golfer.

all the best in the championship.

Fully agree with what you say about strokeplay being the toughest discipline .... Just meant match-play is more fun. Love the strategy, the challenge, and the mind-games!!! ;-)))

Fully agree with what you say about strokeplay being the toughest discipline .... Just meant match-play is more fun. Love the strategy, the challenge, and the mind-games!!! ;-)))

:lol: mind and wheel out the old favourite. meet your opponent on the first tee and proceed to tell him just how badly you've been playing. either that or tell him you feel terrible and might have to forfeit if you get worse.

Andyeyespy

My driving is going well but my irons are SHOCKING. All my irons are short and with a major shank. Ive been on youtube and watched all the videos regarding bad iron shots but cant stop doing it. Why has this all of a sudden crept into my game!!!!!!!!

Club champ qualifier today at Gullane over 2 rounds... I only ever remember playing in the sun 2 or 3 times in the last 15 years... It always is crap weather....

The Mighty Thor

Club champ qualifier today at Gullane over 2 rounds... I only ever remember playing in the sun 2 or 3 times in the last 15 years... It always is crap weather....

I've not played a dry medal this year yet,

Another medal yesterday, cold easterly winds, pishing rain and a soaking wet course.

It's been like playing winter medals this season :(

death by 0.1's

I've not played a dry medal this year yet,

Another medal yesterday, cold easterly winds, pishing rain and a soaking wet course.

It's been like playing winter medals this season :(

death by 0.1's

I know how you feel.. I went up 0.2 last week and am now of 6,.... So on Wednesday I played a medal round No.3 68 par SS was reduced to 65.. bloody hell.. I shot a 4 over 71 (played the last 10 in 1 under) to have a net 65 and no movement.. Which is good as I played a tie last night, gave 8 shots rather than 9 and then realsied it wouldn't have made a difference and I won 5 and 4.

Tonight I am playing the Watson Cup.. Its a great comp where you start holes up rather than giving shots.. SO on the first tee I will be 4 down but play the guy of scratch.. I've seen matches start 11 down on the first tee.. A really fun comp..

Tomorrow I qualified for the handicap club champ (just missed out on the proper scratch one :verymad: ) and it might be 1 round this weekend... or 4 if I win... That would mean I played 10 rounds in 8 days! wow...

The weather looks crap

Was playing well then got my first ever handicap, 9 now 9.4 so its inevitable that the next medal ill be 10. My irons disowened me when i got my official handicap(i know, i know... im trying too hard to hit certain scores and should just relax).

Slowly but surely im playing better but medal day nerves are still high.

Quite embarrissing telling other members im a 9 handicap and shanking all my irons.

Got beat in my singles match by an 11 handicap and he only needed bogies and pars to win the hole.

Got beat in the pairs match and my partner was carrying me throughout the game and he is a 21 handicap.

What the hell has happened................

The Mighty Thor

I know how you feel.. I went up 0.2 last week and am now of 6,.... So on Wednesday I played a medal round No.3 68 par SS was reduced to 65.. bloody hell.. I shot a 4 over 71 (played the last 10 in 1 under) to have a net 65 and no movement.. Which is good as I played a tie last night, gave 8 shots rather than 9 and then realsied it wouldn't have made a difference and I won 5 and 4.

Tonight I am playing the Watson Cup.. Its a great comp where you start holes up rather than giving shots.. SO on the first tee I will be 4 down but play the guy of scratch.. I've seen matches start 11 down on the first tee.. A really fun comp..

Tomorrow I qualified for the handicap club champ (just missed out on the proper scratch one :verymad: ) and it might be 1 round this weekend... or 4 if I win... That would mean I played 10 rounds in 8 days! wow...

The weather looks crap

I've got a 'Summer' cup tie at 7.30 tomorrow morning and the forecast is grim. 9C and 20mph North-East winds :( I think i've played 2 rounds this year without wearing a base layer.

It's been a real struggle this year as the fairways are constantly soft, the rough is growing like wildfire and the greens haven't settled all year. The East wind is a killer too at Castle Park.

I'm seriously considering handicap protection this summer and binning playing in medals as it'as proving impossible to get even close to buffer zone off 5 when the CSS is always 70 and the Par is 72.

yet another no-show summer. can anyone remember when the last one tipped up? it's only midway through june and i've already written off any chance of a few weeks of proper gowf weather.

Naecups1902

Shoes

For medical reasons, I can no longer wear shoes with spikes.

Clearly Ecco are, or seem, to be the top make but bloody expensive.

I note you can now get adidas samba's.

I sea a pair today, ashworth Cardiff at only 40.00, most others have them on at ?60 at least.

Any thoughts and experiences

Anyone?

Aye a friend wears them says they are pretty comfy and he normally moans about sore feet so i assume they are good.

deanohearts

Have recently just bought a Scotty Cameron putter any one know where I can pick up a cheapish head cover for it?

deanohearts

i gave up on my putter headcover.. It was just a pain in the ass.

It Is just purely to keep it in good nik really!

Rudi Skacel

Speaking of covers, im the opposite to nearly everyone.

I have covers for my irons but dont use them for my woods.

Wierd eh.

Apart from my 7 iron. I lost that one.

I have long head covers on my woods to protect the shafts more than the heads. Your irons clink in the bag and after a lot of rounds you can see where the irons 'clink' into the shafts of the woods... and thats not good for them. .. I don't worry about the club heads and think its weird to put a cover on your irons...

As for the putter.... nah... waste of time.

Naecups1902

I like a cover for my putter, currently using an IJP 2011 us open cover I got as a freebie at a corporate at hoylake with Robert Rock and Jamie Donaldson.

It keeps the putter head from knocking against my graphites as my pencil bag doesn't have dividers.

yet another no-show summer. can anyone remember when the last one tipped up? it's only midway through june and i've already written off any chance of a few weeks of proper gowf weather.

Depressing isn't it? I'm glad I decided not to bother getting a membership and just stick to playing the council courses. I've only been able to play twice in the last month.

:down:

covers for putters are possibly a good idea, especially for something the price of a scotty cameron. the price of those is obscene to be honest. that money for a putter is ludicrous. irons covers are a pure pain in the erse. i can't imagine anyone has stuck with iron covers for any more than a couple of months.

Rudi Skacel

covers for putters are possibly a good idea, especially for something the price of a scotty cameron. the price of those is obscene to be honest. that money for a putter is ludicrous. irons covers are a pure pain in the erse. i can't imagine anyone has stuck with iron covers for any more than a couple of months.

Try 8 years :thumbsup:

Just becomes a feature of habit.

The Mighty Thor

I've used iron covers for years. Keeps my forged irons in decent nick. I wouldn't bother if they were 'cast' irons as they don't get dinged as much.

Try 8 years :thumbsup:

Just becomes a feature of habit.

just something else to carry and probably lose at some point as far as i'm concerned.

I've used iron covers for years. Keeps my forged irons in decent nick. I wouldn't bother if they were 'cast' irons as they don't get dinged as much.

dings... shmings. i know what you mean because i used to use a set of ben sayers mentors forged blades and they do 'ding'. but it's not exactly a life changing trauma to be fair.

The Mighty Thor

dings... shmings. i know what you mean because i used to use a set of ben sayers mentors forged blades and they do 'ding'. but it's not exactly a life changing trauma to be fair.

Some of us are OCD that way sad.gif

Some of us are OCD that way sad.gif

oh don't get me wrong. i'm as O.C. as anyone else, just in a different way.

ding on an iron? no hassle.

ding on one of my watches? high risk of coronary.

Have recently just bought a Scotty Cameron putter any one know where I can pick up a cheapish head cover for it?

Loudmouth golf for something different

Walked off the course last night after 7 holes. Was 11 over having had a 9 on the 2nd. The rough was as bas as I have ever seen it. I am a strong player and couldn't get it out with a wedge. Even a yard in it was almost unplayable. Also it took an hour and a half for 7 holes. I was going mental.

Well thats 2 medals that I haven't played in this month due to the weather.. and 1 I have walked in on.

When the hell is summer coming?

This sucks

Up to 6 in handicap now as well... Feel like I am hitting the ball as good as I can, putting is good and chipping is best its been for years..

Problem is that the Gullane rough is mental.. just 1 foot off the fairway costs you at least 1 shot... far too many mistakes leaves you open to high scores..

Think I will play my 3 or 4 iron, maybe rescue club off several tees in the next medal. Keeping it in play is soo important at this time of year.. In the winter with short rough I can power my round the course.. now.. I struggle.

Naecups1902

What about the damage caused at Congressional

Crowd ala a hibs match

Trees downed all over the course

Naecups1902

Anyone know where I can find a list of all the golf clubs open days?

Open days or their "open"?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread