Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I'm so inconsistent it is unreal.

Hacked a 107 (par 71) around Silver Knowes yesterday, barely hitting a clean shot all day.

Shot a 30 (par 27) around the 9 hole Templar at Swanston today.

:ermm:

Practise mate its the only way............ im trying to do the same to bring mine down.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the course at 8.20 today for the wednesday medal. It was snowing like the north pole. I couldn't see the 1st green for the snow (not laying on the course.. it was too wet.) - it was freezing and very windy. My partner marches up and says.. I'm not playing in this..

I was like... YAS!!!!

Its still miserable here!

green, white & gold/yellow?

mate!!!!!

good design though.

Yeah tried to get those god knows what trousers would have gone with them but i've now placed a hold for the US Open Pair white, blue and some red .

The Mighty Thor

First Champ Qualifier yesterday. 76 finishing with 3 bogeys. Bad bounce on 16 and lost the head a wee bit to bogey 17 & 18 :(

Really working on course management and its paying off :)

Happy with how I'm hitting my new irons now that I've got used to them, from my 3 right through to sand wedge. Consistently getting good clean strikes, although my aim is still a bit off at times. My new putter has also made a big improvement. No 3 putts in my last round.

My woods/driver however is a different story. Consistently duck hooking them and have no idea where I'm going wrong. :down:

Playing 36 holes at Prestonfield tomorrow courtesy of Groupon.

Hope the weather holds up a bit, the rain this week makes me think the course may be a bit waterlogged, but apparently they have invested a fair whack in drainage in the last year or so...

Playing 36 holes at Prestonfield tomorrow courtesy of Groupon.

Hope the weather holds up a bit, the rain this week makes me think the course may be a bit waterlogged, but apparently they have invested a fair whack in drainage in the last year or so...

you better hope so. prestonfield has always been one of the worst edinburgh courses for being waterlogged. the worst hole was always the longish one with the OOB wall along the right hand side. i think i played that course about 5 times in the space of a few years and never once was the proper green in operation.

Practiced a few times this week.. More than 3.5 hours in total.. So went out to play in the medal today

90 scratch net 85..

WTF I hear you ask..

Just one of those days.. If I went into a bunker it would be plugged or against the face. Landed in a couple of big divots. Lost a ball where it shouldn't get lost. .. Had a tap in put i walked up to and it must have been in a pitch mark as it jumped to the left when I hit it..

If it could go wrong, it did...

Always next time!

Today i went to the Braids, had to take 3 off the tee on 2 of the first 4 holes due to wayward drives. Went on to hit 8 pars and post 86 gross and played really well, delighted to get a bit of confidence back after last weekend at Duddingston and Peebles.

Edited by Jamboelite

first comp yesterday. wasn't so confident but i got a score going from the off and went into medal mood.

very happy with an opening 78 - 8 = 70.

still can't hit an iron to save myself.

Well after the score at the weekend where I came 197th out of 220 players.. (played over 2 days) .... I played a tie tonight.

He was off 12 and was 12 5 shots better than me scratch on Saturday, so giving him 7 shots felt a little unfair.

However I managed to win 3&2 being 4 over par at the time and I was more surprised than he was. I hit the ball great off the tee, putted well and generally a different player than at the weekend.

Summary... Its a stupid game!

Well after the score at the weekend where I came 197th out of 220 players.. (played over 2 days) .... I played a tie tonight.

He was off 12 and was 12 5 shots better than me scratch on Saturday, so giving him 7 shots felt a little unfair.

However I managed to win 3&2 being 4 over par at the time and I was more surprised than he was. I hit the ball great off the tee, putted well and generally a different player than at the weekend.

Summary... Its a stupid game!

But great when your playing well.

Cyprus Jambo

Got an American Greensomes tomorrow morning (weather permitting). Can anyone remind me - is that both drive and pick the best then alternative shots from there or alternative shots right from the start (i.e.) I drive on the even holes, partner on the odd holes?

Cheers

A greensome is when you both drive and you pick the best shot then its alternate for the rest if the hole. Both drive again at the next etc... . Not sure about the American version. I heard of one game where you both drive and your opponent picks the drive you use, but that is an evil matchplay game. Evil.

Cyprus Jambo

Found it - both drive, then you each play your partners ball and chose the best for your 3rd. Almost a texas scamble lol

Trying to get back into golf after about 17 years not playing. Played at Cawder in Bishopbriggs yesterday. Shot 91 (par 70) which included a 7 and a 9 (put two tee shots into the water) and three putted six holes. So if I had putted a bit better and not had two nightmare holes might've been about 80 which would've been great. Just need to keep practicing particularly with my long to mid irons, not hitting them too well.

Rudi Skacel

Anyone played Duns before?

Playing there next weekend and dont know the course atall.

Got an edge to it as the 2 losers need to buy the 2 winners a burger and chips in the clubhouse after.

Also shot my best round ever last weekend. 91 at Haddington. Including an 8 at the 10th, so annoying haha.

Used an unofficial handicap thing from a website which has given me a handicap of 23.7. I know im better than that though as 2 of the rounds are 100 and 103.

Ping irons still not arrived yet..... Frustrating as my driver and fairway wood are waiting to be collected. COME ON hurry up. Should add 30yards to my drive and 15 on my irons.

1st medal of the year at Mortonhall tomorrow. Not even the safety net of a Stableford to break us in gently.

Am feeling nervous about the tee shot on the 1st already! That fairway really narrows when I've got a card to mark.

Can't wait!

Cyprus Jambo

Missed the first medal of the season due to being in Tenerife so only managed a Texas Scramble and an American Greensomes but have a medal this Sunday.

Been selling a few old drivers on Ebay so almost got enoguh to get the Mizuno JPX 800 whcih has just be reduced in American Golf. Hoping the Mizuno (who gave me a free demo with it) will price match.

Anyone else use American Golf and happy with them?

Missed the first medal of the season due to being in Tenerife so only managed a Texas Scramble and an American Greensomes but have a medal this Sunday.

Been selling a few old drivers on Ebay so almost got enoguh to get the Mizuno JPX 800 whcih has just be reduced in American Golf. Hoping the Mizuno (who gave me a free demo with it) will price match.

Anyone else use American Golf and happy with them?

Yeah i use them they are ok sometimes pricey just picked up a 3 hybrid from them to go with the new irons and they let you goto the range and hit a few up at the Braids shop before purchase.

Although checking your username im guessing that isnt handy.

Got a quick round with the new clubs in strong winds on Sunday the R11S when you hit it WOW but not too consistant at the mo. As for my irons again the wind made it feel that some clubs were actually shorter distance wise so will need a few werks.

Getting very high ball flight on my driver its a 9degree to may have to drop the degree a bit.

Edited by Jamboelite

Thinking about getting a membership somewhere. Might just opt for the Edinburgh Leisure golf membership for cheapness - everywhere seems to be ?800+ which is steep when I may only play around 30 times a year.

Rudi Skacel

Went round in 90 yesterday. Thought as I stood on the 18th Tee i needed a six for 89 so played conservative, turns out I calculated wrong and needed a 5!!!!!!

Getting there though

Cyprus Jambo

Thinking about getting a membership somewhere. Might just opt for the Edinburgh Leisure golf membership for cheapness - everywhere seems to be ?800+ which is steep when I may only play around 30 times a year.

?460 at Haddinton............not many cheaper and not a long trip out from the city.

?460 at Haddinton............not many cheaper and not a long trip out from the city.

Cheers for the info - too far away for me though, I stay in West Edinburgh and would want somewhere within a half-hour drive tops.

The Mighty Thor

Tough conditions at Mortonhall medal on Saturday. Only 5 out of 104 managed to break 80.

Standard Scratch bumped up to 74.

Similar for us at Castle Park on Sunday. Only 4 out of 90 odd broke 80. A combination of really heavy fairways and a cold easterly wind made it bloody tough.

It was the 2nd of 3 Championship medals and i'ts blown the categories wide open this year :thumbsup:

Victorian

have a look at swanston golf club. they have a range of memberships and other packages.

http://www.swanstongolf.co.uk/getmedia/e4a4c629-6ffe-46f7-b6af-b58f7a3e3922/2012Subs_2.aspx

Anyone know if the Edinburgh Leisure golf membership lasts from one year from the date you start it? Or does it expire for everyone on a certain date? e.g. January 2012 - January 2013?

Guess The Crowd

Anyone got any experience of / opinions on the TM Rocketball Driver?

(4 years since I changed driver)

Victorian

shit 83 in the comp today. three putting all over the gaff on ropey greens. not hitting the ball well enough anyway. even the driving was only at 90% and that's the easy bit.

you get days like that of course. some days you're just not at the races. worrying lack of progress on the irons front though.

Jamboelite

Anyone got any experience of / opinions on the TM Rocketball Driver?

(4 years since I changed driver)

I tested it and mate has bought it and its very good adds 18-25yrds on your drive on average.

Guess The Crowd

I tested it and mate has bought it and its very good adds 18-25yrds on your drive on average.

Yes, that was my experience on the driving range yesterday morning, so went ahead and bought it. Took it straight into a team match-play comp yesterday afternoon and today, with disastrous consequences - blocked everything miles right!

Jamboelite

Yes, that was my experience on the driving range yesterday morning, so went ahead and bought it. Took it straight into a team match-play comp yesterday afternoon and today, with disastrous consequences - blocked everything miles right!

Will take time i've been doing that with the new R11S its a question of changing my stance ever so slightly and position but now starting to see the results.

Edited by Jamboelite

• 3 weeks later...
H J Simpson

Playing at the Gleneagles Kings Course on Saturday.

Anyone played this before? Any tips?

It's a stunning course.

My only advice is so not bottle it and take a massive divot out of the frst tee - the starter didn't look best pleased when 'my playing partner' did it. :ninja:

Serious comment though, just keep it straight and out of the gorsh bushes (easier said than done I know). Even if it means sacraficing distance off the tee if necessary. If you managae that it's not to difficult a course but get yourself in the wild stuff and it's game over.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Finished Uni for the summer so got a chance to get a few rounds in. Played twice in the last week and a half or so. Played 9 holes at Carrick Knowe and after a dodgy first few holes, I parred the 4th which I was very happy with and then played fairly consistently over the remaining holes.

Played my first round at the Merchants on Friday afternoon. Heard bad things about it but since Napier students can play a round for ?10, me and my mate decided to give it a bash. It's quite short which suits me and the conditions were excellent. I go into every round just hoping to break 100 (I'm not particularly good) and it very rarely happens but I just go out to try and enjoy it, despite the frustrating moments. Played consistently well over the first 13 holes, including a fairly solid front 9 and I was happy with how things were going until I OB'd at 14 and it went downhill from there until I got par at the last.

One thing I did notice is that my driving has improved and my short game has stalled a bit - I was either putting it too short or too long and my chipping was inconsistent, can never make the right contact with the ball.

Thought it was a decent course for someone of my limited ability with some cracking holes (hole 13 was a particular favourite of mine) and hopefully playing again tomorrow.

Old Hearts

Played up at the Braids today ... Always a joy playing up there. A fine fine track. .... Greens were a bit slow tho.

It's a stunning course.

My only advice is so not bottle it and take a massive divot out of the frst tee - the starter didn't look best pleased when 'my playing partner' did it. :ninja:

Serious comment though, just keep it straight and out of the gorsh bushes (easier said than done I know). Even if it means sacraficing distance off the tee if necessary. If you managae that it's not to difficult a course but get yourself in the wild stuff and it's game over.

I'm partial to a fairly big fade off of the driver, managed to pull my tee shot a beauty on the first into the thick shit. :(

Played pretty poorly for the most part, chipped in on the 18th for par which was a nice way to finish though. :thumbsup:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Played again at the Merchants today with a mate from uni.

Started off fairly well and found myself 6 shots ahead after 7 holes, including pars at 2 and 5. Lost a ball at 3 so there could have been more shots in it. Had shockers at 8 and 9 but got away with it slightly at went into the back 9 still five shots clear.

Sadly, it was a sign of things to come and teeing off at 15, we were level. Found myself a shot ahead with two holes to play before slicing my tee shot at 17, losing the ball and four putting and going into the last hole a shot behind. We both parred 18 and I ended up losing by a shot.

Throwing away a 6 shot lead in the space of 11 holes is absolutely criminal :vrface:.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread