Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Got an outing on Gullane 3 next Saturday, only ever played Gullane 1 before and that was years ago. What's number 3 like, Bigsmak I know you are a member down there?

Great course.. a lot shorter than 1 and 2.,

Whats your game like? I could give you a hole by hole way to play round it.

you really only need a driver on about 5 holes. Also, take two clubs more at 11 than you think you need!

Greens are in great condition as always,

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you really only need a driver on about 5 holes. Also, take two clubs more at 11 than you think you need!

Played Gullane 3 a couple of times this year when courses in Edinburgh have been closed, great deal and always in good nic. Good practice for this time of year on the full greens and none of those horrible mats!!

On another note I just bought some new Adidas golf clothing here www.designergolfshop.com , they had an offer on in my work @ Standard Life, seem to be Edinburgh based!

got an e-mail today asking me to customer review the new bats that i bought weeks ago.

i haven't had a bleedin' chance to pick them up yet!!! :verymad:

Finally managed to get a full 18 holes in in about 6 months and have to say i enjoyed it although need alot of work more rounds before i can think about getting handicap down.

On a side note if anyone is Wanting a came at Cardrona then id be happy to take a fourball up as we get 4 free 4balls a year.

Finally managed to get a full 18 holes in in about 6 months and have to say i enjoyed it although need alot of work more rounds before i can think about getting handicap down.

On a side note if anyone is Wanting a came at Cardrona then id be happy to take a fourball up as we get 4 free 4balls a year.

Is that just past peebles?

I'm in....

Disser Pointon

Only had one full 18 since October but managed a 3 over par at my home course Monktonhall, was driving the ball really well and the putter was behaving for a change! Just as happy hitting 3 wood off the tee though if that's the way to go, normally punt that about 220yds.

Is that just past peebles?

I'm in....

Thats the one yeah, had the challenge tour there a couple of times while spey valley was getting tarted up.

Will be in the summer cos ill need sometime to get back into the swing after a few months off

Gerd Muller

Got a two for one green fee saver coupon and going to use it next monday. Live in Dunfermline but looking for advice on a decent course to play maybe within a 45 minute drive from here. Any advice on courses?

Disser Pointon

Only had one full 18 since October but managed a 3 over par at my home course Monktonhall, was driving the ball really well and the putter was behaving for a change! Just as happy hitting 3 wood off the tee though if that's the way to go, normally punt that about 220yds.

Come on then Bigsmak, wheres my blow by blow account of how to post the winning stableford score on Saturday!?

Come on then Bigsmak, wheres my blow by blow account of how to post the winning stableford score on Saturday!?

On number 3?

First - you need to tell me how far you hit your drives, how good your short game is? What is your handicap.

If you hit your driver 230-250 this is how you play it.

1 - Drive down the left hand side, more space there - Hit a pw/9 to the front of the green between the bunkers, land it a tad short. green might be quicker than you think.

2 - Short par 3, just try and hit it straight

3 - hit a 3 wood or 4 iron of tee, aim for middle and dont try to cut the corner too much. Green runs away from the road, better being a the front of the green than the back.

4 - as long a straight drive up hill as you can. If you hit a good one it really is worth walking up to the top of the hill to get an idea of what you need to do.

5 - play down the left of the tee, green runs away from you quick...

6 - Driver up the left centre, will bounce to the right, no harm being in the rough on the left off the tee. Makes the approach easier. Green is very quick runs from back to front. Dont be too far past the hole.

7 - depends on length of your drive, but I hit a 4 or 5 iron off the tee. my drives go in the bunkers. green slops from right to left.

8 - hit more club than you think, bunkers everywhere, good luck

9 =- no harm hitting 3 wood of tee. green runs right to left.

10 - long and straight, 2nd shot usually is longer than you think.

11. Hit 2 clubs more than you think you need, rather be long than short, ball will run back onto green,

12 aim down the left, dont' be too greedy hitting over the corner (although at this time of year the rough is fine) - hit more club to the green than you think you need, runs from back to front - if you are at front it might run off and you are left with a tricky return.

13 - again, more club than you think.

14 - long drive up left, again aim left for second, green runs let to right and back to front. can be a very tricky green

15 - great fun hole to play. if flag is front right aim down right and let it run on, if flag at back, hit more club and try to get there, if flag front left try and bounce it short of the green on the left. You could play this hole 10 times and a different way each time.. Still its fun

16 - stay on left side of fairway, green runs right to left, ball will run onto green if a little short...

17. Hit at the white hotel in the distance, seems like left of the pin, this is fine, good luck stopping it on the green this is very hard to do but again dont leave it short...

18.. hit it hard up the middle, approach is as it seems!

There you go ... 44 points!

Edited by Bigsmak

Gerd Muller

Anyone played the Piperdam Osprey Course? Website and reviews look good. Thinking of playing this monday.

Anyone played the Piperdam Osprey Course? Website and reviews look good. Thinking of playing this monday.

Yea. its nice

Disser Pointon

On number 3?

First - you need to tell me how far you hit your drives, how good your short game is? What is your handicap.

1 - Drive down the left hand side, more space there - Hit a pw/9 to the front of the green between the bunkers, land it a tad short. green might be quicker than you think.

3 - hit a 3 wood or 4 iron of tee, aim for middle and dont try to cut the corner too much. Green runs away from the road, better being a the front of the green than the back.

4 - as long a straight drive up hill as you can. If you hit a good one it really is worth walking up to the top of the hill to get an idea of what you need to do.

6 - Driver up the left centre, will bounce to the right, no harm being in the rough on the left off the tee. Makes the approach easier. Green is very quick runs from back to front. Dont be too far past the hole.

7 - depends on length of your drive, but I hit a 4 or 5 iron off the tee. my drives go in the bunkers. green slops from right to left.

11. Hit 2 clubs more than you think you need, rather be long than short, ball will run back onto green,

12 aim down the left, dont' be too greedy hitting over the corner (although at this time of year the rough is fine) - hit more club to the green than you think you need, runs from back to front - if you are at front it might run off and you are left with a tricky return.

14 - long drive up left, again aim left for second, green runs let to right and back to front. can be a very tricky green

15 - great fun hole to play. if flag is front right aim down right and let it run on, if flag at back, hit more club and try to get there, if flag front left try and bounce it short of the green on the left. You could play this hole 10 times and a different way each time.. Still its fun

16 - stay on left side of fairway, green runs right to left, ball will run onto green if a little short...

17. Hit at the white hotel in the distance, seems like left of the pin, this is fine, good luck stopping it on the green this is very hard to do but again dont leave it short...

Nice one, 250 average probably about right, cheers!

Will let you know how I get on, suspect it will play out nothing like above!!!

8.30am tee time at the Old Course tomorrow morning, followed by drinks/lunch in R&A clubhouse.

That's how I like to play golf! :thumbsup:

8.30am tee time at the Old Course tomorrow morning, followed by drinks/lunch in R&A clubhouse.

That's how I like to play golf! :thumbsup:

Sounds a little gay to me...

:whistling:

Enjoy your game...

I'm playing at 7.30 tomorrow..I struggle to get out of bed for work at that time.. yet i'll be happily on the golf course with no complaints... lol.. Whats wrong with me.

Whats wrong with me.

I'm the same, cant crawl out of my WP for work but happily stand on the first tee at 7:30 (weather permitting of course)

Edited by Roy Slater

easily up at 6.20 today for a 7.20 tee off. No problem..

Golf was crap.. shot 11 shots more than last week on the same course!

lol.. was poor!

easily up at 6.20 today for a 7.20 tee off. No problem..

Golf was crap.. shot 11 shots more than last week on the same course!

lol.. was poor!

62.8 in the scramble - back on 7 under, should have been 9!!

Disser Pointon

On number 3?

Nice one, 250 average probably about right, cheers!

Will let you know how I get on, suspect it will play out nothing like above!!!

Ok Bigsmak, your tips were spot on and I was hitting the ball reasonably well so managed to stick to them in the main. However, what I really needed was a guide on how to hole a putt!!! the number of times I had a birdie putt and ended up making bogey was unreal, couldnt get to grips with the greens at all although its fair to say that putting has always been the weakest part of my game especially those squirelly little 2 and 3 footers!!!

Enjoyed it though some really interesting holes and great fun to play, and the weather was decent, probably as benign as you will get down there.

Ok Bigsmak, your tips were spot on and I was hitting the ball reasonably well so managed to stick to them in the main. However, what I really needed was a guide on how to hole a putt!!! the number of times I had a birdie putt and ended up making bogey was unreal, couldnt get to grips with the greens at all although its fair to say that putting has always been the weakest part of my game especially those squirelly little 2 and 3 footers!!!

Enjoyed it though some really interesting holes and great fun to play, and the weather was decent, probably as benign as you will get down there.

ahh.. The greens are very quick and true.... they borrow a lot. I think they are always some of the best greens in east lothian, the ball doesn't bobble and if you hit the same putt from the same place the ball will finish in the same spot. Some courses, its a lottery what happens.. (not naming names)

I know what you mean about the 2-3 footers, sometimes, and on quite a few of the holes, you can't aim at the hole from even 2 foot.... It can be scary.. lol..

Glad you enjoyed it. But as a tip.. the putting is the easiest thing to work on, best tip ever - Start about a foot form the hole, hole 5 or 6 putts, then go to a foot and a half, and hole 5/6 putts, then another half foot away and so on... the next thing you know you are 6 foot from the hole and just rolling the ball in. .. It works and its great for your confidence!

Sounds a little gay to me...

:whistling:

Enjoy your game...

I'm playing at 7.30 tomorrow..I struggle to get out of bed for work at that time.. yet i'll be happily on the golf course with no complaints... lol.. Whats wrong with me.

A little gay?? .... Nah, just nice & civilised. B)

Thoroughly enjoyed the day. Old Course was in good nick, greens were running quite quick & true. Played some reasonable stuff too. Downwind going out....out in 33. Into the breeze coming back in made things a little trickier....back in 38, with a trip to the road on 17. :angry:

All in all, was happy to shoot under par (just!!) off the white pegs.

Disser Pointon

ahh.. The greens are very quick and true.... they borrow a lot. I think they are always some of the best greens in east lothian, the ball doesn't bobble and if you hit the same putt from the same place the ball will finish in the same spot. Some courses, its a lottery what happens.. (not naming names)

I know what you mean about the 2-3 footers, sometimes, and on quite a few of the holes, you can't aim at the hole from even 2 foot.... It can be scary.. lol..

Glad you enjoyed it. But as a tip.. the putting is the easiest thing to work on, best tip ever - Start about a foot form the hole, hole 5 or 6 putts, then go to a foot and a half, and hole 5/6 putts, then another half foot away and so on... the next thing you know you are 6 foot from the hole and just rolling the ball in. .. It works and its great for your confidence!

Tried all that, can roll them in from anywhere on the practice green but put a scorercard in my hands and they start to tremble!!! soul destroying, especially if you are hitting the ball quite well which I am at the moment.

Tried all that, can roll them in from anywhere on the practice green but put a scorercard in my hands and they start to tremble!!! soul destroying, especially if you are hitting the ball quite well which I am at the moment.

Mental... mmmmmm.... if anyone knows how to help with this i wan't to know as well... Some days I just feel like a winner and putts drop... some days i can't hole anything...

#

Eg.. shot a 83 in the medal on saturday,

on sunday shot a 73 starting birdie, birdie and putting in from off the green on both holes!

scots civil war

im interested to know how you punters out there deal with ,when you stand over the ball and prepare for a shot

technical thoughts on the swing itself.or do you see the ball going to the target etc

me,im hopefully coming to the end of a 5 year period on gaining knowledge of the golf swing and simply having so many technical ticking of boxes just before i hit the ball....im now starting to visualise the shot and shape and where it lands,and forgetting the ticking of boxes

thank **** for that i say,had an enjoyable round at the glen yesterday as the start of my new regime

Gerd Muller

Played Piperdam today and hit 90. chipped in for a birdie on the last, maybe had about 8 birdie attempts before that throughout the round but my putting was shocking today. 4 putted once, 3 putted about 3 times. Didnt lose a ball which I was happy with. Great course, only paid ?12.50 for the round, winter prices which will change on Friday. Off all week so going to play a few times this week.

Disser Pointon

Mental... mmmmmm.... if anyone knows how to help with this i wan't to know as well... Some days I just feel like a winner and putts drop... some days i can't hole anything...

#

on sunday shot a 73 starting birdie, birdie and putting in from off the green on both holes!

As an aside, if anyone has any good tips on how to eradicate the (whispers it) shanks, I would happily accept them. Had the unmentionables ever since a lesson with the pro a few years back (last time I do that!) and, whilst I have almost gotten rid, they are always at the back of my mind over the ball and often emerge at least once during a round.

As an aside, if anyone has any good tips on how to eradicate the (whispers it) shanks, I would happily accept them. Had the unmentionables ever since a lesson with the pro a few years back (last time I do that!) and, whilst I have almost gotten rid, they are always at the back of my mind over the ball and often emerge at least once during a round.

Had them, got rid of them... need to be at practice ground...

Shanks occur when you it the ball with the bit that connects the head to the shaft of the club. I think its called the hozzle or something. SO to solve it....

Stand further away from the ball...Honest... Literally set yourself up an inch or two further away from the ball so that where the club was behind the ball at set up, you now just have the toe of the club there. I had the S*&^%s for ages and this solved it, also helped me develop a nice draw on my long irons...

Let us know if it works...

As a side note, nearly every problem on the golf course, be it the Sh%$&s or miss-hitting putts, or topping it, or not getting out of the bunker can all be put down to a problem in the set up. If you think about it, if you start of wrong then you have no chance of finishing right...

People don't spend enough time on their set ups....

im interested to know how you punters out there deal with ,when you stand over the ball and prepare for a shot

technical thoughts on the swing itself.or do you see the ball going to the target etc

me,im hopefully coming to the end of a 5 year period on gaining knowledge of the golf swing and simply having so many technical ticking of boxes just before i hit the ball....im now starting to visualise the shot and shape and where it lands,and forgetting the ticking of boxes

thank **** for that i say,had an enjoyable round at the glen yesterday as the start of my new regime

I'm with you there ... Wont fully committ to hitting a shot until I have a clear picture in my mind of what I want the ball to do in the air.

Other than that I just have my pre-shot routine....check set-up, etc ... & usually have 2 key swing thoughts. (tempo, & ensuring my left shoulder is pointing behind the ball at the top of my backswing.)

Disser Pointon

Had them, got rid of them... need to be at practice ground...

Shanks occur when you it the ball with the bit that connects the head to the shaft of the club. I think its called the hozzle or something. SO to solve it....

Stand further away from the ball...Honest... Literally set yourself up an inch or two further away from the ball so that where the club was behind the ball at set up, you now just have the toe of the club there. I had the S*&^%s for ages and this solved it, also helped me develop a nice draw on my long irons...

Let us know if it works...

As a side note, nearly every problem on the golf course, be it the Sh%$&s or miss-hitting putts, or topping it, or not getting out of the bunker can all be put down to a problem in the set up. If you think about it, if you start of wrong then you have no chance of finishing right...

People don't spend enough time on their set ups....

Yeah, do the standing a bit further away and that works most of the time, just creeps back in if I get a bit handsy with a shot. I've always had an in to out swing with a draw which is obviously taylor made for a dose of the unmentionables!!

They say a shank is really close to a perfect shot........................doesn't fn feel that way when you hit it though!!!

an armitage is a big nono eh.........:down:

Nightmare once they creep in, playing a medal once was 2 under going down 15, shanked 3 over the fence and nr'd!!!

The Mighty Thor

I'm with you there ... Wont fully committ to hitting a shot until I have a clear picture in my mind of what I want the ball to do in the air.

Other than that I just have my pre-shot routine....check set-up, etc ... & usually have 2 key swing thoughts. (tempo, & ensuring my left shoulder is pointing behind the ball at the top of my backswing.)

I'd agree with most of the above but it's all down to what works for you.

I've started this season (year) with a new and very deliberate pre-shot routine on every single shot and i'm definitely eradicating the rushed silly shots that always cost me 2-3 shots a round. I'm really trying to get into Cat 1 this year (currently 6.3) and i need to focus more on course management more to get there i think.

I played Dunbar last week and i have to say it's in fantastic condition ahead of the Scottish Boys in a few weeks. Got to the first green and had to wait while one of the greenkeepers was going over the green with a machine i'd never seen before. A green iron. The result was 18 greens like lightning but every putt you hit went where you hit it.

Had a 77 off the medal boxes - out in 35 wind assisted, back in 42 into the teeth of a good breeze with a ball Oscar Bravo so overall was very happy with my ball strikingn this early in the year.

Not sure if any of you boys have ever played Castle Park near Gifford but if anyone fancies a round up there i'll organise something for the end of April, which will give our greens a bit of time to pick up after they've just been hollow-cored & top dressed.

#

one answer to those kind of putting woes is to 'take your hands out' of the putting stroke.

a way to achieve this is to use a very heavy putter and/or one of those ridiculously huge putter grips. the overly-heavy putter promotes a 'shoulder rocking' action and doesn't allow for unwanted hand/wrist action when striking the ball. for this very purpose i once bought a ludicrously heavy putter (approx 900g) which is so heavy in the hands that is needs to be counter weighted in the grip end.

never tried the big thumb grip thing but it's an interesting idea.

two tips on the shermans...

1. try making sure your weight doesn't move forward through the shot. keep back on your heels a bit while avoiding collapsing to your right hand side.

2. make a point of addressing the ball towards to toe end of the club.

scots civil war

take the flex out of the knees and find a happy medium thereafter,whilst standing over the ball

make a priority of the whole left side,leading the way on the downswing

turning ,not sliding

as for putting,**** knows...............i reckon you either have the eye for the cup,or you aint.and thus its allways hit or miss no matter how good the stroke is....however,i do advocate the old `toe passing heel on the follow through stroke`

Just a couple of points:

I've just found out that for the first time in living memory, The Masters is not on BBC next week.

To say I am choked about it is an understatement. While the somewhat limited field verges on the ridiculous, there's no finer golf spectacle on TV, dare I say including the Open.

Those feckers at Sky have prised it away and have exclusive rights, although I'd love to know how much the Beeb were outbid, assuming of course they did try and keep showing it.

On a totally unrelated subject, if you like me are a bit of an anorak in wanting to know who's playing what, then check out a website called golfwrx.com which has photos of all the pro bags at up to date tournaments, the latest being just last week at Bay Hill.

They have pictures of all the latest putters to drool over, including an array of Scotty Camerons, Bettinardi, Never Compromise.

Worth a look if you're a golf club saddo like me!

one answer to those kind of putting woes is to 'take your hands out' of the putting stroke.

a way to achieve this is to use a very heavy putter and/or one of those ridiculously huge putter grips. the overly-heavy putter promotes a 'shoulder rocking' action and doesn't allow for unwanted hand/wrist action when striking the ball. for this very purpose i once bought a ludicrously heavy putter (approx 900g) which is so heavy in the hands that is needs to be counter weighted in the grip end.

never tried the big thumb grip thing but it's an interesting idea.

Putting is a strange one.. I have an average of 34.28 putts per round based on 21 medal rounds of data, Lowest amount is 28 with a 39 as the most I have taken. Thats 1.96 putts when I hit the green in regulation and 1.81 when I miss the green in regulation.... I haven't 4 putted in these 21 rounds but have 3 putted 24 times,

More stats - my Fairways hit is - 65% with a top round of 87%

Greens in Regulation - 60% average - with 78% being the top round and a 44% as my worst. These are medal rounds on Gullane 1 and 2 and sometimes with the wind I can't even reach the 460yrd par 4s.. and i do give the ball a big smak! (sometimes)

Ecelctic best of 56 on No.1 (3 holes have yet to be birdied) and worst of 103... lol...

Anyway.. I have a little program call scoresaver that i put in the data too and it pops out these stats and many many more... I know that on the 2nd on number 1 if i don't hit the fairway i never par the hole... ...

if you want a copy of it, pm me and i'll get you one! Great little tool but takes a year before you get any useful information out of it!

To me, the secret of good putting is to avoid getting too technical..!!

Putting is down to two main things in my view.....feel & confidence. Visualise the roll of the ball into the hole, & then use 'feel' to ensure you send the ball on its way at the right pace & on the right line. (Easy!! haha) ... But more than anything, have a positive frame of mind....helps you put a good positive stroke on a putt.

Certainly helped me turn my putting into one of the stronger parts of my game.

Putting is a strange one.. I have an average of 34.28 putts per round based on 21 medal rounds of data, Lowest amount is 28 with a 39 as the most I have taken. Thats 1.96 putts when I hit the green in regulation and 1.81 when I miss the green in regulation.... I haven't 4 putted in these 21 rounds but have 3 putted 24 times,

More stats - my Fairways hit is - 65% with a top round of 87%

Greens in Regulation - 60% average - with 78% being the top round and a 44% as my worst. These are medal rounds on Gullane 1 and 2 and sometimes with the wind I can't even reach the 460yrd par 4s.. and i do give the ball a big smak! (sometimes)

Ecelctic best of 56 on No.1 (3 holes have yet to be birdied) and worst of 103... lol...

Anyway.. I have a little program call scoresaver that i put in the data too and it pops out these stats and many many more... I know that on the 2nd on number 1 if i don't hit the fairway i never par the hole... ...

if you want a copy of it, pm me and i'll get you one! Great little tool but takes a year before you get any useful information out of it!

i appreciate the offer however keeping those kind of in-depth stats would drive me round the twist.

i keep a record of all my competition scores and that's about it. my best medal round is 69 and 2nd best is 73. i have a whole host of 74s and 75s but can't seem to achieve anything better. every season i'll get at least one 74 or 75 and a whole bunch of other scores in the mid-high 70s. my average never seems to deviate from about 78.

sam torrance once said that a low to mid handicap golfer's score will contain about 45% shots which are putts. to that end he reckons that if 45% of your shots are putts then you should devote the same ratio of your practice time to putting, whereas the keen practicer will simply practice his irons and driver.

sam torrance once said that a low to mid handicap golfer's score will contain about 45% shots which are putts. to that end he reckons that if 45% of your shots are putts then you should devote the same ratio of your practice time to putting, whereas the keen practicer will simply practice his irons and driver.

THIS is the best advice ever. I agree...

It is definitely worth counting how many putts you have in a round. You say my stats are too technical.. But all I put in is;

The score

Did I hit the fairway or not

How many putts did I have

If I was in a bunker or not - it works out every thing else for you after that. Takes 3 mins to do after a round of golf. Yes you can analyse them as much as you want after and I ignore most of it, but to look at it and there is a red box saying you are taking 2 more putts this month than you did last month is good information to have.

I spoke to my mum who considers herself a good putter but we found she was having 38-40 on a round when she started counting, she put more effort into the putting and is down to 36 or and under. 3 shots+ from just being aware that you can improve..... Brilliant.

grumpy rebus

Played North Berwick today and it was wild. The wind was so strong that even putting was difficult. Fortunately, being crap, it didn't have a huge impact on me.

Guess The Crowd

Just a couple of points:

I've just found out that for the first time in living memory, The Masters is not on BBC next week.

To say I am choked about it is an understatement. While the somewhat limited field verges on the ridiculous, there's no finer golf spectacle on TV, dare I say including the Open.

Those feckers at Sky have prised it away and have exclusive rights, although I'd love to know how much the Beeb were outbid, assuming of course they did try and keep showing it.

On a totally unrelated subject, if you like me are a bit of an anorak in wanting to know who's playing what, then check out a website called golfwrx.com which has photos of all the pro bags at up to date tournaments, the latest being just last week at Bay Hill.

They have pictures of all the latest putters to drool over, including an array of Scotty Camerons, Bettinardi, Never Compromise.

Worth a look if you're a golf club saddo like me!

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=128879.html

I believe the BBC does have the last 2 rounds, as per the attached.

Disser Pointon

Played North Berwick today and it was wild. The wind was so strong that even putting was difficult. Fortunately, being crap, it didn't have a huge impact on me.

I was at Turnberry, it was a lottery as to whether you could complete your downswing before the wind blew you over!!!

scots civil war

first comp of the season tomora at the glen,the law trophy

hope that ******* wind calms down bigtime

played in the hope medal at kilspindie two years ago,windiest conditions ive ever played in...

you could not tee the ball up and i fell into a pot bunker

i recieved a round of applause from the clubhouse when i struck a full three metal onto the green at the first..(its 160 yards)

nobody had gotten onto the green in two hours !

scots civil war

i sincerely hope birdface david livingstone is not the anchorman for sky at the masters

what a boring ***** he is,last weeks stint at bay hill was toe curlingly nauseus :down:

peter allis and rob lee for me

Edited by scots civil war

• 2 weeks later...

Played in the spring meeting on Gullane No.1 on Sunday - its a 2 day medal - and shot a 74 with 3 three putts in the first 6 holes.

OMG the greens were as fast and true as I have ever seen them. Even after watching a few days of the masters I was amazed at the speed. My playing partner was 2ft above the hole on the 5th and tapped it.. he missed and was 8ft past. I am not joking.. The ball ran amazingly and if you picked the right line it would go in. But if you missed.. you couldn't stop it.

Struck the ball pretty good and kicked myself to finish 3 over.. But, that's a 72 and 74 carded already this year and only played 3 medals..

Looking forward to the season.. Playing Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday as well! ... Life is awesome!

PS - Playing golf in the sun ROCKS!

Played in the spring meeting on Gullane No.1 on Sunday - its a 2 day medal - and shot a 74 with 3 three putts in the first 6 holes.

OMG the greens were as fast and true as I have ever seen them. Even after watching a few days of the masters I was amazed at the speed. My playing partner was 2ft above the hole on the 5th and tapped it.. he missed and was 8ft past. I am not joking.. The ball ran amazingly and if you picked the right line it would go in. But if you missed.. you couldn't stop it.

Struck the ball pretty good and kicked myself to finish 3 over.. But, that's a 72 and 74 carded already this year and only played 3 medals..

Looking forward to the season.. Playing Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday as well! ... Life is awesome!

PS - Playing golf in the sun ROCKS!

that's very good indeed. you might have a good year.

the unexpected early april heatwave helped me to a decent 77 in our first medal on saturday there. a double-B and a couple of 3-putts aside it was half decent.

still not a big fan of parkland/heathland golf at this time of year. there's very little grass on the fairways and the turf isn't solid enough yet for my taste. that usually means that i'm a slowish starter so i'm chuffed with an opening 77.

edit - delving into the archives i have discovered that my first medal scores from the past few years are:

2005 - 77

2006 - 79

2007 - 81

2008 - 82

2009 - 81

2010 - 83

2011 - 77

a good omen hopefully.

Edited by Jim Panzee

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread