Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Jamboelite

For those that don't know the Haldane is an open competition run by Dirleton Castle Golf Club played over Gullane No.2.. It is on the 31st of July this year. I think it still costs just ?10 to enter. That's great for a round on No.2 and there are great prizes as well.

If you want to enter, give me a shout and I'll make sure you get an entry form.

Smak

Smak i could be looking for a form here sounds good.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete Seeger

Had a stableford at Glenbervie today and I've got to say the course was just in fantastic condition. Immaculate greens. Highly recommended for anyone looking for an away round just now.

Disser Pointon

Had our clients outing at Haggs Castle on Wednesday, little windy and the greens were slower than usual but it was a good day nonetheless. Our 4 man Texas Scramble won it with a seven under scratch for 52.6 with our handicap off!!! :whistling:

No golf planned till 18 June now when we have a weekend away at Glen Isla near Alyth, cracking deals up there if anyone is ever looking for a cheap weekend. Round on the Saturday, overnight accomodation on the course, breakfast in the club and another round for ?79. Perfect.

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Jamboelite

So I played today and had 6 pars and still shot a 94 i left so many shots on the course it was frightening the putter wasnt so much red hot but absolutely freezing cold.

Ahh well not bad for my 6th round in the last 6years.

Onwards and downwards.

Edited by Jamboelite

Played in the medal today. 76... I had 3 eagle putts and I got one of them, drive and 8 iron to a 480yrd par 5, also drove the 1st green 310 yrds and lipped out for the 2. However was in 4 bunkers in 4 holes and had 4 bogeys in the last 5 holes where I took 3 to get down from the side of the green apparently losing the plot due to thinking about shooting a 71 or 72 scratch.

Never mind, was unhappy with the game but beat the handicap by 1 (ss 72) and feel like I left about 7 shots on the course.

One good score from getting cut to 4.

---------------

Haldane Cup Update.

Its ?12 this year. I have the entry forms. You have to be a member of an east lothian club. I forgot about that. If you PM me your e-mail address I will send you the form and an address for where to post it.

Edited by Bigsmak

The Mighty Thor

Played the Castle Park Mixed Open yesterday and with the help of my partner we smashed the field to waltz off with the trophy with a nett 64 :thumbsup:

Absolutely delighted for her as she only took up golf a year ago.

Always happy to be lifting silverware (and a load of SGU vouchers!) :whistling::thumbsup:

grumpy rebus

Had a bounce round this morning and was 6 under my handicap, despite 3 horrors and a few shot left out there.

Have I turned the corner, or just another false dawn?

Fulfilled a golfing ambition at the weekend and played Muirfield - a course i've been hankering to play since watching Ernie win there in 2002 - and Tiger struggling to make 81 in the storm the day before.

Broke 90 with a few lost balls. Great luncheon, superb course, magnificent clubhouse.

Utterly splendid :thumbsup:

played two medals this weekend. 77 on saturday and 81 today. pins were in some ludicrous places both days, folk are taking the piss.

well done thor.

The Mighty Thor

played two medals this weekend. 77 on saturday and 81 today. pins were in some ludicrous places both days, folk are taking the piss.

well done thor.

Cheers bud :thumbsup:

Second trophy of the season and i still don't feel like i've hit a ball all year. Strange game! :)

Played 36 holes today at Castle Park.

So frustrating. Actually hitting the ball really well for the most part but i'm 3 putting just about every fricking hole.

Tell you what though, 36 takes it out of you, feel goosed now!

scots civil war

won two comps myself this year

had a 78 at the jubilee open at st andrews today,with 4 3 putts (forward tees)

my putting is honking .....superb course though

Hope the Swing Doctors on here can maybe help me with this one...

I played very little last year, and have joined up at St Michaels GC this year. I was playing off 19 a couple of years ago, and am probably at same standard, maybe a stroke better. Don't have much time at weekends for medals but plan to get my 3 cards in over the next few weeks and get some competitions in over the summer / autumn. I've been playing evenings and a few social games at King James and Lynedoch.

My play off the tee is quite good, hitting most fairways, and my putting has improved over the Spring, but where I let myself down is my irons. Pitching is fine but anything outside 100 yards I find I'm pulling each shot. This is frustrating enough from the fairways but is worse when standing on a par3, I will pull it to the left, and be looking at a bogey or worse each time.

I've tried standing slightly further away from the ball at address but still get the same results. As I say, driver / 3 wood from the tee and I'm fine, hybrid or iron and I'm in trouble!

:unsure:

The Mighty Thor

Played 36 holes today at Castle Park.

So frustrating. Actually hitting the ball really well for the most part but i'm 3 putting just about every fricking hole.

Tell you what though, 36 takes it out of you, feel goosed now!

36 round there is a slog.

you're crawling up the 12th on your hands & knees second time round :)

Old Hearts

I played very little last year, and have joined up at St Michaels GC this year. I was playing off 19 a couple of years ago, and am probably at same standard, maybe a stroke better. Don't have much time at weekends for medals but plan to get my 3 cards in over the next few weeks and get some competitions in over the summer / autumn. I've been playing evenings and a few social games at King James and Lynedoch.

My play off the tee is quite good, hitting most fairways, and my putting has improved over the Spring, but where I let myself down is my irons. Pitching is fine but anything outside 100 yards I find I'm pulling each shot. This is frustrating enough from the fairways but is worse when standing on a par3, I will pull it to the left, and be looking at a bogey or worse each time.

I've tried standing slightly further away from the ball at address but still get the same results. As I say, driver / 3 wood from the tee and I'm fine, hybrid or iron and I'm in trouble!

When taking your stance and addressing the ball, try positioning the ball slightly further back in your stance. Driver/3 wood should be lined up with front foot, but long irons slightly further back. Short irons should be nearer the middle of your stance.

Might make a difference, might not.

There's a difference between pulling the shot straight left and the ball drawing (hooking) to the left. Can you confirm whether or not you are hitting it straight left or if you're drawing it away from the target?

It could be a bit difficult to call this to any definite degree without seeing you hit the ball so it's really a case of best guesses. The fact that you're hitting your drives and wedge ok would seem to suggest that there's not a lot wrong with your swing and grip. My guess would be that you may benefit from fanning the face open during your backswing and squaring it up again through the downswing. That's just a possible remedy and doesn't address the cause. It all depends on whether you are happy to live with a flaw by making compensations or if you would rather sort out the flaw. If it's the latter then you would be better letting a pro see you hit the ball and remedy whatever is wrong.

I would also recommend a compact swing for irons in the event that your swing is a little too full for your standard. Playing within your hitting ability and concentrating on keeping the club head square at impact. Just try a variety of minor changes in your address, allignment, stance, maybe address the ball with an open face, possibly try a forward press to begin the backswing to help promote an early wrist ******. Fiddle about and you may strike gold.

Get on You Tube and search for Jeff Ritter. He has loads of videos with clients with all kind of problems.

Problem is probably in your set up.

Quick fixes

Hold the club down the grip a little - this shortens your swing

Try to take a 3/4 swing rather than a full one

Chances are that you are swinging on an in to out plane, this can put it to the left.

cutting across the ball causes it to slice. Imagine kicking a football...

You may have a closed stance as well.

Why not get someone to video your swing from the side and the back and post it on here and we will have a look at it for you.

Edited by Bigsmak

grumpy rebus

Some good answers there, but as a higher handicap than you, and if you know how far left you're going, I'd be tempted to aim right. Especially if everything else is working for you.

Some good answers there, but as a higher handicap than you, and if you know how far left you're going, I'd be tempted to aim right. Especially if everything else is working for you.

lol...

But would this just be living with the problem rather than fixing it... :whistling:

Also - when people 'aim' right what can happen is it closes their stance more as a little bit of their brain still wants to hit it straight and actually exaggerates the hook.

Still... its good advice if you don';t have time to practice or play much.

Thanks for the replies!

It's a definite pull rather than a draw / hook as the ball is flying straight. It's funny as I noticably feel as if I've "pulled" round on the ball as I strike, especially on the par 3 tee shots.

I've put a club down on the mat at the driving range and my alignment seems to be good.

I'll try the 3/4 swing and build it up from there. Thanks again all :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies!

It's a definite pull rather than a draw / hook as the ball is flying straight. It's funny as I noticably feel as if I've "pulled" round on the ball as I strike, especially on the par 3 tee shots.

I've put a club down on the mat at the driving range and my alignment seems to be good.

I'll try the 3/4 swing and build it up from there. Thanks again all :thumbsup:

Get on you tube, there are loads of videos that show you what happens in the swing to cause this. It makes so much more sense when you see it rather than try to type it out.

Just starting to get back into the golf. Been about 18 years since I really played any real golf on a regular basis and I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding wedges. I've got a sand wedge but I'm looking for something with more loft. Am I right in thinking that a sandwedge is about 55 degree loft?? Secondly when looking at wedges on line it asks me to select bounce. What is this? And is it more important for it to be higher or lower? Lastly, regarding balls, I was looking at getting SRIXON AD 333 balls, anyone use them and are they good alround balls? Does anyone have a better recommendation for golf balls? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Just starting to get back into the golf. Been about 18 years since I really played any real golf on a regular basis and I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding wedges. I've got a sand wedge but I'm looking for something with more loft. Am I right in thinking that a sandwedge is about 55 degree loft?? Secondly when looking at wedges on line it asks me to select bounce. What is this? And is it more important for it to be higher or lower? Lastly, regarding balls, I was looking at getting SRIXON AD 333 balls, anyone use them and are they good alround balls? Does anyone have a better recommendation for golf balls? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

you get all kinds of wedges, going up to about 64 degree ones. i don't think it's a great idea to have too many. it's very important you have one that you can play bunker shots with, and you may need one to fill the gap between your standard wedge and your sand wedge / lob wedge (depending on what you have).

'bounce loft' is the other angle between the shaft of the club and the sole. it can make a difference to the launch angle of the shot and the distance it will go but it's a very technical thing that matters far more to the more advanced player.

bounce.gif

the titleist pro V1 ball is the best ball ever made as far as i'm concerned. an expensive ball to be fair but well worth the money in terms of overall playability, control and durability. do not look beyond it.

scots civil war

srixon ad333 is an excellent ball for non advanced players i reckon,would def recomend them.ive used them before

il play with titleist v1,callaway hx tour and srixon z-star,bridgestone b330

i real like the hx tour though,il get them in lake ball grade a purchases off the net......

Captain America

Srixon Ad333 are the balls I use and would recommend them to anyone. You can get good deals on used ones on ebay usually half the price of new balls.

I hate lake balls. Using the callaway right now, used the bridgestone and the srixon but agree the titlest pro v1 is the best.... For my handicap. There is no point in a 18 handicapper using them. Get on the total golf or golf monthly websites and they have loads of product tests for balls.

Edited by Bigsmak

scots civil war

re lake balls

wont pay over the odds for a golf ball......lake balls grade a and pearl,are fine with me

the refurbished ones i wouldnt touch though,bin recovered n shit aint they

grumpy rebus

Played Charleton yesterday. Decent front 9 but list balls on 11 & 13 killed the round.

Down to Archerfield this afternoon for the night then playing tomorrow. Not sure which course, but hope it's the Fidra.

Disser Pointon

Played Charleton yesterday. Decent front 9 but list balls on 11 & 13 killed the round.

Down to Archerfield this afternoon for the night then playing tomorrow. Not sure which course, but hope it's the Fidra.

Dirleton is the better of the 2 courses IMO.

Cyprus Jambo

Looking for a shaft - anyone out there got a Grafalloy Prototype R-Flex? After breaking my driver, finding it hard to get a replacement.

Cheers

PLayed midweek medal yesterday.. another 76 -> net 71.. seems to the be the score I am posting this year!!

Had 3 birdies including a 2, but missed 3 birdie putts of under 8 foot. 3 putted twice and was in 4 bunkers... Worst thing was I drove to 10 yrds short of the 18th green and took 4 to get down for a bogey 5.....

Still making too many mistakes... Had 36 putts which is far, far too much for a 5 handicapper. 72% green in regulation which is a good stat, but my fairways dropped to 60%.

One day I'll cut out the silliness and shot a great score!

Tie tonight!

Club Champ qualifying over 2 rounds on Sunday

Played castle park again tonight.

I'm such a fud. I'm yet to shoot less than 100 - all thanks to my abysmal putting.

Worked out that last Sundays round where I hit a 102, that I was averaging 2.44 putts per hole :(

Well, tonight was a similar story, striking the ball really well, missing putts left right and centre.

Anyway, I left myself a 2 footer on the 18th for a 99. Needless to say I missed, and left myself an even longer putt than the one I just had!

:facepalm:

100 on the dot for me.

Left so many shots out there, sucks to be me!!

Putting is easy... If u practice. I'll get u sorted if u want...

Played a tie tonight against the winner of yesterdays medal (i came 5th) gave him 14 shots. We shook hands on the 13th fairway. Played back 9 in 2 under par. Hit the ball great. I love golf again.

The Mighty Thor

Played castle park again tonight.

I'm such a fud. I'm yet to shoot less than 100 - all thanks to my abysmal putting.

Worked out that last Sundays round where I hit a 102, that I was averaging 2.44 putts per hole :(

Well, tonight was a similar story, striking the ball really well, missing putts left right and centre.

Anyway, I left myself a 2 footer on the 18th for a 99. Needless to say I missed, and left myself an even longer putt than the one I just had!

:facepalm:

100 on the dot for me.

Left so many shots out there, sucks to be me!!

You should join mate, you're up there more than me!

The greens at Castle Park are really getting towards their best although they were getting a bit damp & slow as we got onto the back 9 although we didn't tee off til 5.30.

The problem you have at Castle park is the pronounced difference in speed between the front 9 and back 9 greens. The front 9 are less mature and a bit more exposed so they tend to be quicker and the back 9 are always a good '2 foot' slower.

Best thing for putting is 2 pieces of Dr Bob Rotella's advice. To paraphrase; 1) Look at the hole, look at the ball, pick your line and then hit the fecking thing. 2) stand over every putt and tell yourself it's going straight in the hole.

Get your putts down to 36 a round and you'll break 90 never mind 100 :thumbsup:

You should join mate, you're up there more than me!

The greens at Castle Park are really getting towards their best although they were getting a bit damp & slow as we got onto the back 9 although we didn't tee off til 5.30.

The problem you have at Castle park is the pronounced difference in speed between the front 9 and back 9 greens. The front 9 are less mature and a bit more exposed so they tend to be quicker and the back 9 are always a good '2 foot' slower.

Best thing for putting is 2 pieces of Dr Bob Rotella's advice. To paraphrase; 1) Look at the hole, look at the ball, pick your line and then hit the fecking thing. 2) stand over every putt and tell yourself it's going straight in the hole.

Haha, I do want to join up actually, just a bit of a cash flow issue just now. It's easier for me to play as a guest with my mates for now as can't afford a big lump sum at the mo. Will probably join up next year, but it's ?370 (I think) which is what my mates paid a 2-3 months ago, not sure I can afford/get value out of it.

We tee'd off at half 6 last night so probably not far behind you!

Possibly playing again tomorrow - and I WILL break 100. Will take on the advice re the putting, I think my confidence in it is shot to pieces which doesn't help so need to be a bit more positive before I'm hitting them.

Driving for Show, putting for Dough etc.....

As I said, I'd be happy to meet on the practice green to help any way I can....

Driving for Show, putting for Dough etc.....

As I said, I'd be happy to meet on the practice green to help any way I can....

I'd appreciate that.

What would you have in mind?

I'd appreciate that.

What would you have in mind?

Just have a look at what you are doing, check your

Stance

Grip

Swing - What moves, what shouldn't move

Head Position (your eyes should be straight above ball)

Also look at your routine - This can be the most important thing. Every good putter has a good routine, its the same every hole. This is something you need to get. Its up to you what your routine will be but we can work on that.

Lastly, have a look at reading the greens, this is something that you will get better with, but you need to get to a stage where you can stand over a 20ft putt that is on a slope and be confident about getting down in 2. You can only get better with practice (and knowing your home clubs greens - If you were to tell me on my course which green you were on, where the flag was and where your ball is I would be able to tell you how the putt will move without even seeing it. You need to know the greens)

Where do you work? What time do you finish (not for tonight but in next weeks or so after work)

Edited by Bigsmak

This is a good one

--

One of the best practice techniques is to start 1 ft away, hole it.. move 2 ft away, and hole it, then 3ft, 4 ft etc.. Before you know it you will be 8-10 ft from the hole rolling the ball in with no worries. It builds confidence and I do it before every medal!

Just have a look at what you are doing, check your

Stance

Grip

Swing - What moves, what shouldn't move

Head Position (your eyes should be straight above ball)

Also look at your routine - This can be the most important thing. Every good putter has a good routine, its the same every hole. This is something you need to get. Its up to you what your routine will be but we can work on that.

Lastly, have a look at reading the greens, this is something that you will get better with, but you need to get to a stage where you can stand over a 20ft putt that is on a slope and be confident about getting down in 2. You can only get better with practice (and knowing your home clubs greens - If you were to tell me on my course which green you were on, where the flag was and where your ball is I would be able to tell you how the putt will move without even seeing it. You need to know the greens)

Where do you work? What time do you finish (not for tonight but in next weeks or so after work)

I work just up near Lothian Road.

Usually get away from the office at about 5!

I work just up near Lothian Road.

Usually get away from the office at about 5!

Not many golf courses on Lothian road... mmm... where do you stay then?...

If you want we could go to Gullane, i'll take you on No 3 as well if you want.. Week beginning 20th June would probably be best...

Right guys, I've not hit a golf ball for over 3 years and even then i wasn't very good, joined Rutherford Castle for a year but only played 6 or 7 times so didn't rejoin. I was a high handicapper (19) Loved playing the game though. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm starting to get the itch to play again and wondered if any of you good people would be willing to let a hacker tag along sometime.

I can play pretty much anytime anywhere within reason although East or Mid Lothian would be better.

Much appreciated if anyone can oblige.

Oh, and willing to buy a few libations afterwards as way of thanks. :whistling:

Cyprus Jambo

Guys,

did you know that American golf and now accepting Tesco Vouchers? So raid the Mrs purse and cash in those vouchers. Think ?10 is worth ?20 so half price gear.

Not many golf courses on Lothian road... mmm... where do you stay then?...

If you want we could go to Gullane, i'll take you on No 3 as well if you want.. Week beginning 20th June would probably be best...

I stay in Gorgie!

Is Gullane tough? Wouldn't want to embarrass myself round there.

:lol:

to simplify a bit re putting...

there are two main parameters in a putt. the line and the speed. the speed is massively more important than the line in most cases, especially anything of any length.

imagine yourself 40 or 50 feet away from the hole. if you get the pace right then you're not going to be that far from the hole. you will always pick up the ability to read the line of putts as you go along.

if you can gain the ability to be more accurate in reading the pace of your putts then you wont be taking 45+ putts a round for long. holing out from 3-6 feet is also important but you will naturally do it the more confident you are with your putting stroke.

another point about putting is that players often bemoan having a chip and 3 putts from close to the green. if you're doing that on a regular basis then don't look to your putting alone... you need to look at the chipping first and foremost.

grumpy rebus

Played the Fidra today and got 37 stableford points, and left about 6 or 7 shots out there.

Next up, the Torrance on Monday.

Edited by grumpy rebus

76 this morning in horrible conditions. On 14th club actually flew out my hand, twice, and nearly killed playing partner. Changed glove again ten. Lol. 3 bunker shots on the 15 killed my hopes of a really good score. Back out at 1.36 all waterproofs and gloves are in tumble dryer... Lol. Not fun at all.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread