Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had an absolute shocker of a putt on Sunday there - probably around a 10 footer. Knew the backswing was far too hot and rather than pull out of the shot, completely decelerated and the ball must have moved about 2 feet :lol:

My problem is always been adjusting to the pace of greens on a course in not familiar with. 

Played monktonhall yesterday. Hit every fairway. But I just couldn't get uses to the speed of the greens. Even though I knew I was hitting it too hard I still did it. 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That putt aside, I've been putting well recently. Had a 25 putt round last Saturday, putter was hot but it's amazing what chipping to within 2 foot of the hole does to your putting stats.

Just now, Dino Velvet said:

My problem is always been adjusting to the pace of greens on a course in not familiar with. 

Played monktonhall yesterday. Hit every fairway. But I just couldn't get uses to the speed of the greens. Even though I knew I was hitting it too hard I still did it. 

I know what you mean, I can take 3 or 4 holes on a new course to get the putter going.

William H. Bonney
40 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Tremendous deal. A wonderful links course that is great to play on any time of the year......weather permitting.

Yep. Booked it for tomorrow. Weather is to be great too. Looking forward to it. 

Everybody Loves Baz!

Might take an interest in this thread again. Back into the golf again after a two year lay off with a bad back and joined a course near to me (Broomieknowe) as they're doing a deal, 16 month for the price of 12.

Anyhoo, after a few rounds of the yellows 85 last Wednesday and a 78/79 Sunday (no sure if I would've made a few of the putts if the pressure was on, partner holed out first, but they went in anyway) I've bought myself the tagging system gamegolf live as I have never really knew what I hit my clubs yardage wise.

Anybody else used this? and if so, what were your experiences of it?

TIA.

11 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Might take an interest in this thread again. Back into the golf again after a two year lay off with a bad back and joined a course near to me (Broomieknowe) as they're doing a deal, 16 month for the price of 12.

Anyhoo, after a few rounds of the yellows 85 last Wednesday and a 78/79 Sunday (no sure if I would've made a few of the putts if the pressure was on, partner holed out first, but they went in anyway) I've bought myself the tagging system gamegolf live as I have never really knew what I hit my clubs yardage wise.

TIA.

Broomieknowe was the venue for one of my best matchplay victories, i was of 14 playing a guy of 6 back in the mid 90s,

managed to win 2/1, lovely course , and my handicap was slashed after that win.

12 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

TIA.

Love Broomieknowe, cracking course.

I have Game Golf, great wee piece of kit. The tagging takes a little getting used to to begin with but now it's part of my pre-shot routine. Also, if you do forget you can always add the shot manually after you've uploaded the round.

I've seen a big improvement in my GIR stats since using it, all down to knowing my club distances. An example, I'd always assumed I hit my 7 iron 150 but my Game Golf average is nearer the 145 mark. That 5 yards makes all the difference in not coming up short all the time. The % of shots short of the green between 101-150 yards has gone from 40% short to 17% short this year.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Broomieknowe was the venue for one of my best matchplay victories, i was of 14 playing a guy of 6 back in the mid 90s,

That's the first time I've heard of anyone get cut from matchplay. If someone had monitored some of my matchplay performances, I'd get put up! ? 

6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Must be something in the water out there. I was 5 down thru 8 there a few years back and pulled it back to win with holes to spare. It’s those days that stay with you.

21 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Must be something in the water out there. I was 5 down thru 8 there a few years back and pulled it back to win with holes to spare. It’s those days that stay with you.

Aye bud felt like i had won the open walking off the 17th green lol. 

Everybody Loves Baz!
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Love Broomieknowe, cracking course.

I have Game Golf, great wee piece of kit. The tagging takes a little getting used to to begin with but now it's part of my pre-shot routine. Also, if you do forget you can always add the shot manually after you've uploaded the round.

I've seen a big improvement in my GIR stats since using it, all down to knowing my club distances. An example, I'd always assumed I hit my 7 iron 150 but my Game Golf average is nearer the 145 mark. That 5 yards makes all the difference in not coming up short all the time. The % of shots short of the green between 101-150 yards has gone from 40% short to 17% short this year.

Thanks for the info. Set arrived today so I'll set it up tomorrow and hopefully play Friday and Sunday and take it from there.

Was up today and the only thing letting the course down just now is the amount of leaves. 3 or 4 times today I drove to where I thought I could easily find the ball...nope, lost it under feckin leaves. Hate this time of year lol.

Hopefully the feedback with GGL will be worth it.

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Thanks for the info. Set arrived today so I'll set it up tomorrow and hopefully play Friday and Sunday and take it from there.

Was up today and the only thing letting the course down just now is the amount of leaves. 3 or 4 times today I drove to where I thought I could easily find the ball...nope, lost it under feckin leaves. Hate this time of year lol.

Hopefully the feedback with GGL will be worth it.

Cheers.

Let me know how you get on.

You need to play a good amount of rounds before you start seeing a true picture of where you're at. Downside is you can't really use it when there are winter greens, as each courses greens are pre-programmed, so your putting stats are ****ed.

They're meant to be releasing their 3rd version soon, it removes the need to tag each club but for the price difference, it doesn't look worth it at all.

Everybody Loves Baz!
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Let me know how you get on.

You need to play a good amount of rounds before you start seeing a true picture of where you're at. Downside is you can't really use it when there are winter greens, as each courses greens are pre-programmed, so your putting stats are ****ed.

They're meant to be releasing their 3rd version soon, it removes the need to tag each club but for the price difference, it doesn't look worth it at all.

Aye, looked at the pre order one, and for what practically does the same job, it's an extra 100+ quid. No thanks. Good thing with Broomieknowe is, so I hear, very seldom do they have winter greens except the 7th, and the winter green for that is at a pretty good standard already. Problem I've got is that for every 75-76 I hit there seems to be 2 or 3 85/86's to follow. Hopefully joining a club again and playing more frequently will bring the H/c down again. 

16 hours ago, Everybody Loves Baz! said:

Aye, looked at the pre order one, and for what practically does the same job, it's an extra 100+ quid. No thanks. Good thing with Broomieknowe is, so I hear, very seldom do they have winter greens except the 7th, and the winter green for that is at a pretty good standard already. Problem I've got is that for every 75-76 I hit there seems to be 2 or 3 85/86's to follow. Hopefully joining a club again and playing more frequently will bring the H/c down again. 

They're offering an upgrade to all users shortly. There was a Mac update and now Game Golf doesn't work with Mac, meaning you can't upload via the laptop. Not sure what the cost is but if it's reasonable I might look at going for it and offsetting the cost by selling my current version.

joondalupjambo
On 14/11/2018 at 12:50, Dino Velvet said:

Yep. Booked it for tomorrow. Weather is to be great too. Looking forward to it. 

How did you like Lundin Golf Club round?  Weather was good for you after all. 

William H. Bonney

Weather was stunning. Out in 43, back in 39. Course was in great condition and even though preferred lies were in operation I never needed them. 

Will definitely return again. I think 13 was my favourite hole. 

3 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Weather was stunning. Out in 43, back in 39. Course was in great condition and even though preferred lies were in operation I never needed them. 

Will definitely return again. I think 13 was my favourite hole. 

13? Interesting...I'd probably say that's its weakest hole, where it loses the links appeal.

1/2/3 are great opening holes and the stretch from 14-18 is outstanding.

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

13? Interesting...I'd probably say that's its weakest hole, where it loses the links appeal.

1/2/3 are great opening holes and the stretch from 14-18 is outstanding.

13 suited my fade. Putting for eagle may also have been a factor. 

13 suited my fade. Putting for eagle may also have been a factor. 

Haha yeah, it's a daunting tee shot with the road and slope but the hole feels out of place, same goes with the 12th.

You can certainly tell they are "new" holes to the course.

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha yeah, it's a daunting tee shot with the road and slope but the hole feels out of place, same goes with the 12th.

You can certainly tell they are "new" holes to the course.

12 definitely felt out of place. 

All in all a good experience, though I certainly wouldn't pay to play it in the summer. 

12 definitely felt out of place. 

All in all a good experience, though I certainly wouldn't pay to play it in the summer. 

My uncle and cousin are members so I get on for £15. I played it in the height of the summer for the first time this year...probably my first ever true links experience with the severe burnt ground. Was incredibly tough.

They also run a competition on the original course (split between Leven and Lundin). Not sure if it's an open or not, but would be fun to play.

William H. Bonney
24 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My uncle and cousin are members so I get on for £15. I played it in the height of the summer for the first time this year...probably my first ever true links experience with the severe burnt ground. Was incredibly tough.

Was more meaning the cost. I'm a tight *******. 

I'm always in awe of places like lundin links. Thinking how amazing it would be to live there and play there regularly. 

Obviously I got so lucky with the weather and I realise how tough it would be in the wind and rain. 

Edited by Dino Velvet

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

They also run a competition on the original course (split between Leven and Lundin). Not sure if it's an open or not, but would be fun to play.

No it's members only that competition.  It is called the MacDonald Trophy.  Unfortunately the condition of Leven was not that great this summer and so it was like playing chalk and cheese this year in that competition.  

On the chat about the course 13 is a pain in the butt hole for me, sometimes play it well other times not so, reason is that unless you hit a long straight drive past the first bunker on the left you can be in trouble with your second.  If you can get past the bunker in the middle though it is usually an easy par 5.   Into a westerly holes one to four can make or break your card off the competition tees and then into an easterly for fifteen to eighteen same applies.   I find it a completely different course off the whites to the yellows as I sure many others will and do especially as I say with the wind blowing.  It is also very tough in full links condition because you have no idea where the ball will bounce to or end up!!

Fourteen has to one of my favorite holes just for the layout and views across the Forth and beyond with one and four being the others just due to their degree of difficulty.  In card carrying mode two fives are well received at these two holes.

As for green fees it is very cheap compared to other courses of the same condition in the North East of Fife.  We get so many Americans and Europeans who "stumble" onto Lundie and cannot believe the 75 quid in the summer.  Bear in mind these guys are paying hundreds to play the big name courses yet when they play Lundie they think it is as comparable in terms of how good it is, it's setting and most of all the condition of the greens.  The greens are well known throughout the golfing world for how good they are and that is what makes the course so special in so many people's minds.  And the scary thing is that the head green keeper is a rabid Celtic supporter!!

Luckily I live nearby, and am a member, so can play it at will but honestly if I did not have that option knowing what I know I would pay the green fee at least once a year just for the experience.

Edited by joondalupjambo

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

No it's members only that competition.  It is called the MacDonald Trophy.  Unfortunately the condition of Leven was not that great this summer and so it was like playing chalk and cheese this year in that competition.  

On the chat about the course 13 is a pain in the butt hole for me, sometimes play it well other times not so, reason is that unless you hit a long straight drive past the first bunker on the left you can be in trouble with your second.  If you can get past the bunker in the middle though it is usually an easy par 5.   Into a westerly holes one to four can make or break your card off the competition tees and then into an easterly for fifteen to eighteen same applies.   I find it a completely different course off the whites to the yellows as I sure many others will and do especially as I say with the wind blowing.  It is also very tough in full links condition because you have no idea where the ball will bounce to or end up!!

Fourteen has to one of my favorite holes just for the layout and views across the Forth and beyond with one and four being the others just due to their degree of difficulty.  In card carrying mode two fives are well received at these two holes.

As for green fees it is very cheap compared to other courses of the same condition in the North East of Fife.  We get so many Americans and Europeans who "stumble" onto Lundie and cannot believe the 75 quid in the summer.  Bear in mind these guys are paying hundreds to play the big name courses yet when they play Lundie they think it is as comparable in terms of how good it is, it's setting and most of all the condition of the greens.  The greens are well known throughout the golfing world for how good they are and that is what makes the course so special in so many people's minds.  And the scary thing is that the head green keeper is a rabid Celtic supporter!!

Luckily I live nearby, and am a member, so can play it at will but honestly if I did not have that option knowing what I know I would pay the green fee at least once a year just for the experience.

It's up there as my favourite course. The 2nd is probably my favourite hole on the course. The tee shot is superb and can be played a number of ways depending on how you want to play your 2nd. And the double burn adds to the challenge. 

I do love 14 though, the views and that conundrum of which club to play. I'd imagine you've probably played about every club in the bag on that hole?

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's up there as my favourite course. The 2nd is probably my favourite hole on the course. The tee shot is superb and can be played a number of ways depending on how you want to play your 2nd. And the double burn adds to the challenge. 

I do love 14 though, the views and that conundrum of which club to play. I'd imagine you've probably played about every club in the bag on that hole?

Nearly ? Probably everything from a seven iron up to a five wood, I am not a big hitter with irons.  

Agree with you about the second.  Given you have played the course you know that there is probably an arguement to justify virtually all of the holes as special.  It is truly a gem of a course.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I'd heard from a couple of folk that the condition of the greens were surprisingly so poor that some of the members were considering giving up their memberships. 

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Nearly ? Probably everything from a seven iron up to a five wood, I am not a big hitter with irons.  

Agree with you about the second.  Given you have played the course you know that there is probably an arguement to justify virtually all of the holes as special.  It is truly a gem of a course.

Usually with a golf course you pin point 2 or 3 holes that stand out. The opposite is true with Lundin where there are only really 2 or 3 weaker holes - 11/12/13.

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'd heard from a couple of folk that the condition of the greens were surprisingly so poor that some of the members were considering giving up their memberships. 

We played it around May/June and the greens were terribly slow and hairy.

It certainly doesn't hold up to next door.

How's Balbirnie been this year? They played full course all last winter so considering a few games there over the winter if it's in decent condition.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Samuel Camazzola

We played it around May/June and the greens were terribly slow and hairy.

It certainly doesn't hold up to next door.

Sounds like it never recovered from the winter and the hot dry summer did it no favours. 

joondalupjambo
43 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It is never nice to criticise other courses, especially ones right next door but Leven not in that great condition overall. Tee boxes very poor and as you say greens not as good as they could be.  Apparently the main green / ground staff have left so I guess every picture tells a story.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Everybody Loves Baz!

3rd time out with the newly joined syndicate and played total shite from 160 in - total opposite from last week.

Still won the sweep for 2nd time in a row.

3 cards in now, 85, 78 & 89......would have been happier with 3 rounds of 84 but where would the fun be in that.

Till next week ?️‍♂️

John mcCartney
21 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

It is never nice to criticise other courses, especially ones right next door but Leven not in that great condition overall. Tee boxes very poor and as you say greens not as good as they could be.  Apparently the main green / ground staff have left so I guess every picture tells a story.

Leven Links is in not that great a condition due to the very dry summer period and two golf clubs worth of punters and many visitors this year.
The links has a  new head greenkeeper in with his staff and is currently doing some serious work around the course inc sorting out the teeing grounds.One thing i have spotted since his arrival is the choice of pin positions and some contouring of fairways  made so much better.New greenkeeper is Andy O`Hara recently from Elmwood and is also a lecturer at the national accreditted Elmwood College which specialises in golf amongst other stuff.
Personally looking forward to his work coming to fruition next year,I reckon he`l do very well....i dont know him btw
The course is allways a challenge and dont personally reckon the greens have been poor this year at all,greens still roll true and
play at a decent pace.could be slightly faster sometimes

Il grab a round next door at Lundin over xmas if they aint using mats

had a good round at Goswick today,superb conditions

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Leven Links is in not that great a condition due to the very dry summer period and two golf clubs worth of punters and many visitors this year.
The links has a  new head greenkeeper in with his staff and is currently doing some serious work around the course inc sorting out the teeing grounds.One thing i have spotted since his arrival is the choice of pin positions and some contouring of fairways  made so much better.New greenkeeper is Andy O`Hara recently from Elmwood and is also a lecturer at the national accreditted Elmwood College which specialises in golf amongst other stuff.
Personally looking forward to his work coming to fruition next year,I reckon he`l do very well....i dont know him btw
The course is allways a challenge and dont personally reckon the greens have been poor this year at all,greens still roll true and
play at a decent pace.could be slightly faster sometimes

Il grab a round next door at Lundin over xmas if they aint using mats

had a good round at Goswick today,superb conditions

Good point re the traffic over the course and of course the dry summer did not help.  I think the hand over in terms of staffing had a big bearing on the overall condition though and you are right a lot of new work going on at the moment.   I walked alongside the Leven course yesterday and I was surprised how well some of the tee boxes have recovered already.  Greens did not look too bad either since I played it over the summer and so think the new guy must be doing a lot right.   They are also relining the burn at the 18th with new wooden slats. Good to see it all to be honest.

I guess the issue of how people view greens is a personal thing but we are spoiled at Lundin.   

Not sure if you have seen Elie GC recently but their greens are like carpets, stunning.  Of course they will no doubt have a stack load of money in that club and also less traffic but boy do they look good.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Samuel Camazzola

Great to see Danny Willett back on form recently and secure his first win since his Masters yesterday. A cracking player and good guy. 

Here's one for you all. This has caused a bit of a stir at my GC.

We have a new pro this year, to his credit he's done pretty well. However, he introduced a policy with shop credit where by it had to be used the same season it was won. A lot of the members have protested against this as they feel it's their money and they can spend it when and how they like.

I get his argument for doing so, in that it helps replenish stock but the issue members had is that they have no chance to properly save up for, say a new set of irons.

Where do folk stand on it? What does your club pro do?

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Here's one for you all. This has caused a bit of a stir at my GC.

We have a new pro this year, to his credit he's done pretty well. However, he introduced a policy with shop credit where by it had to be used the same season it was won. A lot of the members have protested against this as they feel it's their money and they can spend it when and how they like.

I get his argument for doing so, in that it helps replenish stock but the issue members had is that they have no chance to properly save up for, say a new set of irons.

Where do folk stand on it? What does your club pro do?

I'm with the members on this one. I've not experienced that policy anywhere else so it sounds a bit lame to me. 

Isn't he wanting to install one of those 'Zen' putting greens? If so, I think this is where his income is being directed at. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm with the members on this one. I've not experienced that policy anywhere else so it sounds a bit lame to me. 

Isn't he wanting to install one of those 'Zen' putting greens? If so, I think this is where his income is being directed at. 

He already has.

In his defence, this is his first head pro position so he is still a bit wet around the ears. I wasn't sure how others operated, I've rarely got shop credit :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

He already has.

In his defence, this is his first head pro position so he is still a bit wet around the ears. I wasn't sure how others operated, I've rarely got shop credit :lol:

What happens to credit that is not spent by year end? Does it go to his profits? It sounds like it's the kind of policy that should be introduced with sufficient notice. If he's just been appointed this year, it should become effective for the 2019 season. A bit tight if you win something in October and have to redeem it within a few weeks though. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What happens to credit that is not spent by year end? Does it go to his profits? It sounds like it's the kind of policy that should be introduced with sufficient notice. If he's just been appointed this year, it should become effective for the 2019 season. A bit tight if you win something in October and have to redeem it within a few weeks though. 

I think you had lost it (and into his pocket). He had a notice up in the locker room all year but a lot of folk appear to have missed it.

Legally, I'm not sure where he'd stand by doing that, it's not his money? He has reversed the policy now though.

joondalupjambo

Here is another issue linked to above. Not a nice thought but what happens if you die who gets the money in the account?  Your estate or the pro?  Your estate should get it but only if they know to claim it as an asset. We can carry over monies in our accounts year on year and some guys have hundreds in them.  So not a nice thought as I say but for you guys out there that are careful with listing what you own, then it is worthwhile noting down any golf accounts that exist.

John mcCartney

that credit lasting a year Liam,luxury    

reminds me of Winterfield GC`s policy of a comp voucher expiring
won 60.00 voucher from one of their opens a couple of years ago.happy with that i thought until i
bought a new set of irons at american golf ( x forged 2013 blades,hardly used for a decent price)
and showing the dude at the desk the voucher as part payment.
i was told the voucher had expired,it had lasted for three bleeding months !!!

is Lundin on mats thru winter season ?