Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

A few highlights in 2017 for myself:-

A week marshalling at the Scottish Open, Dundonald Links was followed by a weeks hospitality at The Open, Royal Birkdale.

Enjoyed winning the Abernethy Open Texas Scramble team event in July. 

At the beginning of August was fortunate to be on the winning team for Scotland v USA match arranged amongst friends.

September 30th saw me attend a presentation at USGA HQ in Far Hills, NJ and the next day I attended the final day of the Presidents Cup at Liberty National NY.

Carnoustie hospitality and Ryder Cup at Le National, Paris already booked for 2018, don't know how I find time to play!!

Happy New Year to one and all.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, what's Turnhouse like? I'm planning my society outings and have this or Liberton lined up for our end of September outing. I played Liberton last year at their open and really enjoyed it.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Gents, what's Turnhouse like? I'm planning my society outings and have this or Liberton lined up for our end of September outing. I played Liberton last year at their open and really enjoyed it.

It's been a while since I played it so can't comment on recent condition etc... 

In terms of course layout and practice facilities, it's good and a decent test. A few holes are on the incline but it's not overly hilly. 

Liberton is shorter but been in great condition the last few years (as you experienced) and probably lends itself to maybe being better suited for a group outing. 

After weeks of scrappy, boring winter golf found a decent score this morning around eyemouth. +1 through 13 then birdied 4 of the last 5.

A slight hint of the golf bug making a return

Managed to get out twice this weekend. 

Saturday was a mixed bag of good shots and rust.

At Balbirnie today, I was +10 thru 15 (19 handicap) and thinking I had a chance of bettering my PB round of +12. Arse fell out, finished up with 3 doubles. Really happy with the round but gutted to end so poorly when +11 was achievable.

1 hour ago, StSow said:

After weeks of scrappy, boring winter golf found a decent score this morning around eyemouth. +1 through 13 then birdied 4 of the last 5.

A slight hint of the golf bug making a return

Heading to Eyemouth for our May outing, looking forward to it.

Charleton, Eyemouth, Mar Hall, Longhirst Hall, Thornton & Liberton.

7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Heading to Eyemouth for our May outing, looking forward to it.

Charleton, Eyemouth, Mar Hall, Longhirst Hall, Thornton & Liberton.

:thumbsup: sounds like a decent trip. 

Which course at longhirst?

1 hour ago, StSow said:

:thumbsup: sounds like a decent trip. 

Which course at longhirst?

Playing them both over a weekend, night in Newcastle in between though!

18 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Playing them both over a weekend, night in Newcastle in between though!

I’d maybe consider playing the Dawson after your night out... :laugh: a bit more forgiving than the lakes course 

29 minutes ago, StSow said:

I’d maybe consider playing the Dawson after your night out... :laugh: a bit more forgiving than the lakes course 

Haha we are, they originally had the Lakes in on the Sunday but I told them to get that changed :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

English golfers currently dominating the game, envious.

Abu Dhabi HSBC results, England 1, 2 & 3, plus six in the top ten, impressive stuff.

Scottish golf not so good, big majority journeymen unfortunately. What's gone wrong?

57 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

English golfers currently dominating the game, envious.

Abu Dhabi HSBC results, England 1, 2 & 3, plus six in the top ten, impressive stuff.

Scottish golf not so good, big majority journeymen unfortunately. What's gone wrong?

There was a really good article in either Bunkered or Today's Golfer a few months back about the investment Golf England have made in terms of coaching/junior golf.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There was a really good article in either Bunkered or Today's Golfer a few months back about the investment Golf England have made in terms of coaching/junior golf.

Aye, heard that very thing in the club. Shame the home of golf didn't follow suit. Looks like no representation from Scotland come the Ryder Cup. Every European player will get my full backing come Ryder Cup week, but having no Scots in the team is very disappointing.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Aye, heard that very thing in the club. Shame the home of golf didn't follow suit. Looks like no representation from Scotland come the Ryder Cup. Every European player will get my full backing come Ryder Cup week, but having no Scots in the team is very disappointing.

You never know, Knox may get in the hunt again. 

34 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You never know, Knox may get in the hunt again. 

Forgot about Knox. Being based in America, he needs big finishes in a few majors and world championships. I think Danny Willet got the nod over Knox in 2016, winning the masters helped.

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Forgot about Knox. Being based in America, he needs big finishes in a few majors and world championships. I think Danny Willet got the nod over Knox in 2016, winning the masters helped.

Willett made the team on merit. The wildcard picks were Westwood, Kaymer and Pieters. 

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Willett made the team on merit. The wildcard picks were Westwood, Kaymer and Pieters. 

Westwood, Darren's mate.

John mcCartney

russell knox started the year in good form,tied 10th at the sony open,hawaii 2 weeks ago

looking forward to torrey pines starting tonight,thursday,he`l be playing in that n all

Evening all, I’m considering treating myself next month and getting fitted for a new driver. Has anyone done this before and did it make a big difference to your game? I’m playing at Craigielaw at the moment and was going to book a slot at the titleist fitting centre there. Any pointers would be appreciated.

On 28/01/2018 at 17:22, dicksojo said:

Evening all, I’m considering treating myself next month and getting fitted for a new driver. Has anyone done this before and did it make a big difference to your game? I’m playing at Craigielaw at the moment and was going to book a slot at the titleist fitting centre there. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Scott Gourlay seems to make people moist, he’s at Craigmiller Park.

Nice to get 9 holes of golf in today, thank **** for some decent weather! Played the 9 in +2 , not bad for my first time on a course since October. Been to the range a couple of times in between then.

roll on the proper golf season ?

Where are folk going with their Golf Show tickets this year?

Our group have opted for Burntisland, Dunkeld & Birnam and Duns. Bargain for £7.50!

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Where are folk going with their Golf Show tickets this year?

Our group have opted for Burntisland, Dunkeld & Birnam and Duns. Bargain for £7.50!

Good deal but can't be bothered heading to Glasgow. I got the Bunkered offer which usually has the same course choices. Opted for Roxburghe, Burntisland and King's Acre. 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Ray Gin said:

It is a bit of a pain, wish they'd move it back to Ingliston.

I'd pay the £7.50 and give my ticket to someone to collect my rounds but when it was at Ingliston, I'm sure there was a stipulation that you had to attend to collect them. I don't know how they police that though. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'd pay the £7.50 and give my ticket to someone to collect my rounds but when it was at Ingliston, I'm sure there was a stipulation that you had to attend to collect them. I don't know how they police that though. 

Yeah they make you collect it in person. I guess you could get a friend to wear a disguise and rejoin the queue. :lol:

Last year I hit them with some bullshit excuse about my mate being in hospital and unable to collect in person, and they grudgingly let me collect his tickets.

Edited by Ray Gin

Samuel Camazzola

The location to collect at Ingliston was back left of hall IIRC. If Glasgow has a similar arrangement, you could collect one batch and then go back later to someone else and collect second batch. 

I'll probably get my tickets soon.

Got 3 from my Bunkered subscription - Kings Acre, Musselburgh and Linden Hall.

Think I'll go for - Dalmahoy, Duns and Torwoodlee.

6 rounds of golf for just over £60 it works out at. Not bad at all.

16 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Torwoodlee is decent. Enjoyed it when I played it 2 years ago, despite the howling wind. Some interesting holes.

I'll probably make a day of it and go down to play both there and Duns.

Some nice courses in the borders.

54 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

The  data i have from v1 is brilliant.. 

Hopefully it’ll help improve my game. I’ve been after it for a while but now that the V2 has GPS it made it much more of an attractive investment.

Anybody fancying a new putter for the season?  Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.  It's brand new.

£200.  Currently selling in American Golf for £300.

C5926C46-86FE-4227-B6EC-2108EC354726.jpeg

909A8CA5-0C11-472A-99C7-9652BD1823C4.jpeg

F92E41A8-C96F-4249-A077-9DD422330BAA.jpeg

Edited by Armageddon

Has anyone arranged a group booking abroad before? A wee bit away but we're considering it as part of our society for next spring.

For comparison I've looked at deals for this March/April and there's plenty around £120-£150 for 3 or 4 nights plus golf, mostly around Murcia/Algarve.

Any experiences/recommendations?

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Has anyone arranged a group booking abroad before? A wee bit away but we're considering it as part of our society for next spring.

For comparison I've looked at deals for this March/April and there's plenty around £120-£150 for 3 or 4 nights plus golf, mostly around Murcia/Algarve.

Any experiences/recommendations?

https://www.bilyanagolf.com/

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'll check it out :thumbsup:

If I was you I wouldn't travel with that brand spanking new Scotty that you're about to buy from me ...

4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

If I was you I wouldn't travel with that brand spanking new Scotty that you're about to buy from me ...

Haha not a chance this time I'm afraid. I love my Cleveland anyway.

On 2/12/2018 at 09:08, Armageddon said:

Anybody fancying a new putter for the season?  Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.  It's brand new.

£200.  Currently selling in American Golf for £300.

C5926C46-86FE-4227-B6EC-2108EC354726.jpeg

909A8CA5-0C11-472A-99C7-9652BD1823C4.jpeg

F92E41A8-C96F-4249-A077-9DD422330BAA.jpeg

Come on JKB's finest.  I'll take £200 and from that donate £10 to the FoH - EVERYONE IS A WINNER!!!

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Come on JKB's finest.  I'll take £200 and from that donate £10 to the FoH - EVERYONE IS A WINNER!!!

You could try a wee incentive. If you were to get 40 posters on here willing to pay £5 for for a 'raffle ticket' with winner nabbing the putter, that's you got your £200. If any additional tickets sold and proceeds go to FoH. 

7 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I’ll bid 20 quid .

17 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

You could try a wee incentive. If you were to get 40 posters on here willing to pay £5 for for a 'raffle ticket' with winner nabbing the putter, that's you got your £200. If any additional tickets sold and proceeds go to FoH. 

That's actually a decent idea.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

There will be some competition regulation that will scupper that idea I'm sure - and I doubt 40 JKB'ers would buy a ticket!!!

I'd go £10 a pop if there weren't enough buyers. Increases the chances too! :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Looks like a cracking deal .

I like the fact there are options rather than unlimited golf on the one course.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread